***Official April 2013 thread*** SEE POST # 4028

Status
Not open for further replies.
TJDisneymama said:
Yeah, i should scratch that idea.....i may coordinate the kids' outfits but dh and i wont be matching, thats for sure, lol

My DH is the same way. He won't do any sort of Disney shirt :(

TJDisneymama said:
So, this weeks topic --- MKs family of the day. Has anyone ever been picked of know someone who has? I've got an urge to go for it........i wonder how early u have to get there?

I was just listening to the DIS blog and one family had been picked several times and he is there about 2-3 hours before rope drop. go for it......

Sent from my Xoom using DISBoards

So, this weeks topic --- MKs family of the day. Has anyone ever been picked of know someone who has? I've got an urge to go for it........i wonder how early u have to get there?

How do you get picked?

I was just listening to the DIS blog and one family had been picked several times and he is there about 2-3 hours before rope drop. go for it......

Sent from my Xoom using DISBoards

Yeah...you pretty much have to be the first family there that day. I read a trip report a few years ago of a family who got to do it, and I think they got there 2 hours early or something.

They're looking for the standard family of 4 - parents with 2 relatively young kids. I think they also like for them to seem really excited, which I doubt I could fabricate, if I was yanking DH out of bed before 6am just on the off-chance that we might be picked that day.
It would be soo much fun though!
They take you back to Toontown (well...Dumbo's circus area now) and you get your own meet & greet with some of the characters before you get to ride the train together to "open" the park.

We're at 40 days now n counting. As we will be arriving early on the 5th, I read that SM is down for a bit, Does anyone know if this will still be down still in 40 days ? TIA.

Yeah...you pretty much have to be the first family there that day. I read a trip report a few years ago of a family who got to do it, and I think they got there 2 hours early or something.

They're looking for the standard family of 4 - parents with 2 relatively young kids. I think they also like for them to seem really excited, which I doubt I could fabricate, if I was yanking DH out of bed before 6am just on the off-chance that we might be picked that day.
It would be soo much fun though!
They take you back to Toontown (well...Dumbo's circus area now) and you get your own meet & greet with some of the characters before you get to ride the train together to "open" the park.

Apparently it's not as awesome as it used to be (no giant M&G) It may have been a "Year of a Million Dreams" thing.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3032777&highlight=family+of+the+day

From what I've heard, you need to be there about a half hour to an hour before RD, hang out together on a park bench, and dress pretty well (either matching or clean-cut, stereotypical adorable family). Even then, it's totally random, so you never know.

I've read that folks try to stand at the rope and chat with the CMs. And yes, get there early.

53 Days!!

Last time, we were standing right next to the family that got picked- we were there early for breakfast but would gladly missed our ADR if they had picked us! We only had DD though, the family that got picked had 3 kids. The CMs didn't even glance at us. There were LOTS of other people there by that time though so they definitely weren't the first ones to arrive. But they seemed to know what they were doing-they stood right against the rail on the left side, and immediately started chatting up the CMs when they came out.

I would love to make a try for it now that we have more than one kid. I'm hoping that for our next trip we will be staying at CR, which will make it easier to get over there early. And then when we don't get picked we can go back to the room for an hour, lol! :)

53 Days!!

Last time, we were standing right next to the family that got picked- we were there early for breakfast but would gladly missed our ADR if they had picked us! We only had DD though, the family that got picked had 3 kids. The CMs didn't even glance at us. There were LOTS of other people there by that time though so they definitely weren't the first ones to arrive. But they seemed to know what they were doing-they stood right against the rail on the left side, and immediately started chatting up the CMs when they came out.

I would love to make a try for it now that we have more than one kid. I'm hoping that for our next trip we will be staying at CR, which will make it easier to get over there early. And then when we don't get picked we can go back to the room for an hour, lol! :)
But what is it that the family that does get picked gets? I've never heard of this.

TJDisneymama said:
Ive been going crazy with the custom outfits for DD and i asked dh if he wanted me to get him some disney tees and he just gave me the death glare, lol

I just bought some vinyl iron ons... two different ones for the girls and two for my husband and I to match one of their shirts! Of course he has no idea about this. Lol! And I think I'll spring it on him when we 're there and he can't say no! Ha ha!

I guess what people are saying is it used to be more of a big deal - you'd get to meet Mickey & Minnie, take a ride back with them to Fantasyland, etc. Someone recently posted about their experience though and they didn't get to meet any characters, just basically got to go in first and stand up with the people in the morning show

My aunt, uncle, and two cousins were picked when they visited Disney World for the first time last June. I know the major thing is that they were asked pretty early in the morning. They were one of the first families there, arriving to MK around 7am because the kids were so excited to go to Disney World. They didn't chat anyone up, but a CM directly approached them - apparently she pulled away my uncle and spoke to him privately so my aunt and the kids had no idea what was going on. They weren't matching outfits or anything but the two kids just had on Disney shirts. It was their first time in Disney - I don't know if they were wearing 1st visit buttons and if they were, if that might have helped. I think for this day the biggest thing was being there super early, having cute kids, and looking super excited!

But what is it that the family that does get picked gets? I've never heard of this.

I found it interesting that the link posted said they only got a fastpass for Mickey because my aunt had a different experience. They did the welcome show, were invited to ride the firetruck down main street (I know usually anyone can do this but like I said it was their first time in Disney so they had no idea!). But the big thing is they were given VIP treatment for the day - a CM acted as their tour guide, I believe for the first few hours they were in the parks, got to go in all the fast pass lines, and had reserved parade/fireworks viewing. I'm not sure why their experience seems so different than the one posted, and what the norm is, but I figured I'd share!

My aunt, uncle, and two cousins were picked when they visited Disney World for the first time last June. I know the major thing is that they were asked pretty early in the morning. They were one of the first families there, arriving to MK around 7am because the kids were so excited to go to Disney World. They didn't chat anyone up, but a CM directly approached them - apparently she pulled away my uncle and spoke to him privately so my aunt and the kids had no idea what was going on. They weren't matching outfits or anything but the two kids just had on Disney shirts. It was their first time in Disney - I don't know if they were wearing 1st visit buttons and if they were, if that might have helped. I think for this day the biggest thing was being there super early, having cute kids, and looking super excited!

I found it interesting that the link posted said they only got a fastpass for Mickey because my aunt had a different experience. They did the welcome show, were invited to ride the firetruck down main street (I know usually anyone can do this but like I said it was their first time in Disney so they had no idea!). But the big thing is they were given VIP treatment for the day - a CM acted as their tour guide, I believe for the first few hours they were in the parks, got to go in all the fast pass lines, and had reserved parade/fireworks viewing. I'm not sure why their experience seems so different than the one posted, and what the norm is, but I figured I'd share!

My guess is that it probably varies from day to day based on what they have available. It seems the only common denominator is that you get to stand on the platform to open the park. Everything else is just a bonus.

I still doubt I could convince DH get up extra early just for a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter