• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official all things Princess Half Weekend 2015 thread! DOoneY and offical mErcH on DisneyParksBLOg

I don't think I've missed this, but...

Has anyone seen photos of the official race shirts yet? It seems odd that rD hasn't posted them on social media yet.

Question - has anyone run with their long hair down? I'm doing the 10k in a Merida themed outfit. Not doing a wig (I don't have red hair), but considering wearing my hair down & curly to sort of emulate Merida's hair. Might use a headband to keep my hair off my face. Normally I run with my hair (about 3 in below shoulder length) up in a tight ponytail with a visor to protect my face.

My only real concern is my hair annoying me by sticking to my neck in the humidity. I will try a practice run this week with my hair down, but I won't be able to duplicate the humidity. Any thoughts or tips?

My alternative option is to do my normal hair up routine with a teal visor.

Hello PHM Runners! Stopping by to cheer you on!

Be proactive with your flight. Keep an eye on airport and airline sites. If they say anything about your flight date or city, see about leaving earlier if possible. Don't rely on them to tell you about delays, keep an eye on it all.

I should go back and "like" this at least five times. We experienced this last year for PHM. We had an early morning Thursday flight out, and weather was poor. I didn't receive any notification, but continued to watch Southwest for the opportunity to change flights for free. On Wednesday, Southwest posted a weather advisory with that exact opportunity - but I would not have seen it if I wasn't watching the website constantly. So on Wednesday morning, I called to switch our flight to one that was leaving four hours later. I booked a room at POR for the night, switched our Magical Express, booked an extra ADR and FP+ for the next morning, pulled the kids out of school and got on that flight. Good thing, because flights Thursday morning were cancelled. Also a good thing that I pack so far in advance. :) Nobody makes fun of me for that anymore.

This year and last year, yep. "Who is ONLY doing the Half?" at the corral starts over and over and over. You can hear "only" and "just" a finite number of times before you start to lose it, just a bit. Maybe that's why I enjoyed the Wine&Dine (despite the torrents of rain) and the TOT I did better, because there was no challenge for them to go on and on about?

Funny you mentioned that because last month, I "only" ran the full marathon. :) Our teens "only" ran the half. Didn't bother me - I was pretty happy to run a marathon - but the boys said they will only run Disney when they are running the main event and whatever challenge that's out there. So the bright side is that my kids (who don't really love running) are ready to sign up for the GSC and the 5K with me next year.

My only real concern is my hair annoying me by sticking to my neck in the humidity. I will try a practice run this week with my hair down, but I won't be able to duplicate the humidity. Any thoughts or tips?

Depends on your hair. I would not run with my hair down. But in Florida, I rarely wear my hair down ever - whether running or not. It's just too humid!

I made it to Florida! Got out of Providence airport today on time!

Got another 10 inches of snow at home yesterday. No flights were running, so I was worried about our plane getting to us this morning. But we got out on time! Phew:). At families today and tomorrow, then on to Disney Wednesday! Good luck to everyone in their travels!

Question - has anyone run with their long hair down? I'm doing the 10k in a Merida themed outfit. Not doing a wig (I don't have red hair), but considering wearing my hair down & curly to sort of emulate Merida's hair. Might use a headband to keep my hair off my face. Normally I run with my hair (about 3 in below shoulder length) up in a tight ponytail with a visor to protect my face.

Only when it's cold out (low 40's at the highest) and I have a headband keeping it out of my way and never for a run that long, usually in the 3-5 mile range if it's down. Very rare and only at night actually, running in the dark as it keeps my neck warm lol. Personally it would drive me absolutely nuts to have it down. The back of my neck would get get hot, the hair would get wet from sweat and stick to my body, not just back of neck but shoulders etc. Mine is a tad shorter, probably 2" below shoulder and I wouldn't do it. That said, if you plan a slower race, stop for pics, with some or a lot of walking then maybe it wouldn't be so bad, I think pace would have a major impact on comfort level. The 10K right now looks to be cooler than the half.

Has anyone driven to the start of the race? I have arranged to rent a car and will be staying at the Hilton Hotel which is not a Disney Hotel. What time should I get there for the 10K? I will take a taxi for the 1/2 because my brother will be driving later to meet me at the finish line.

For those familiar with room requests... I made my room requests over the phone with reservations a few weeks ago. Should I fax/call the specific resort today? We are two days out from our arrival.

Got to Florida yesterday from a very snowy Massachusetts. I did a 3 mile run this morning around 7:30. I'm glad I have a few days to get used to running in warm weather. What a difference between running in single digit temps vs. 65 degrees and 92% humidity!

Has anyone driven to the start of the race? I have arranged to rent a car and will be staying at the Hilton Hotel which is not a Disney Hotel. What time should I get there for the 10K? I will take a taxi for the 1/2 because my brother will be driving later to meet me at the finish line.
I suggest leaving your hotel at the same time the race buses start - that varies by race, but you can find those times in the Race Guide. You don't want to delay and potentially wind up in bad traffic. I've driven to more races than I've bused at this point and MUCH prefer it, even when staying at a host resort! You'll just follow the signage to EP. Do NOT GPS the route, as it may include roads that will be closed.

Anyone with IT band issues.....are you running any leading up to the race? I tried 6 miles (going for 10) last weekend and it hurt like the dickens. Haven't run since then as I've been getting twinges on occasion. Used ice and have been taking naproxen twice a day but its killing me to not do any running. Haven't run any long runs in a month. Can't decide if I should test it out with an IT Band strap or leave until race day....

I've had IT Band issues flare up during training for this race (never had this problem before, and I've been a runner for 6 years now), and I have taken the last two weeks off running completely. Sticking to rest, stretching & compression with my IT Band strap.

I'm going nuts. I just want to run. I won't be running again until Friday's Princess 5K.

Alright, got my last run in last night, now I'm off work today packing and getting ready to head to my sister's place this afternoon. Then we fly out tomorrow AM! Wheee! I'm so ready for this vacay and ready to tackle the 1/2 too :D "See" you all there! Stay calm and have fun!

Last run is in the books. I have a light core and long stretch tomorrow and then pack to leave Friday! Hope TSA doesn't take away any of my costume…. my Mary Poppin's umbrella or Burt's cane.
Perhaps some one will post the finisher tee shirts tomorrow??? It will help me to pack shorts for after the race Sunday.

If you are tying the race in with a vacation how do you make it work ? If you are only doing the half bit are also interested in good things at the expo will you have to arrive on Thursday night? Then you don't want to spend two days racing through parks . How do you plan a nice week in Orlando needing plenty of park time with the princess half?

If you are tying the race in with a vacation how do you make it work ? If you are only doing the half bit are also interested in good things at the expo will you have to arrive on Thursday night? Then you don't want to spend two days racing through parks . How do you plan a nice week in Orlando needing plenty of park time with the princess half?
If you train adequately, it should not effect your vacation. I did the Goofy 2 years ago and did not have any problems touring every day (including race days).

Has anyone done the pre purchase from Marathon Foto before? Trying to figure out if $65 for $100 is a good deal and how expensive photos are since this is my first race. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

If you train adequately, it should not effect your vacation. I did the Goofy 2 years ago and did not have any problems touring every day (including race days).
I am training for next year which is a long way from now but I will be booking my room soon I'm not worried about the day of or after. I'm worried about before. This will be my first half and we like to power tour. But we also typically spend a week and two days go to Universal. I'm just wondering if I I'll want to be at the first day of expo. Will good things be gone if I went on Friday afternoon. I could see flying in Friday, doing Magic Kingdom only on saturday.

I am training for next year which is a long way from now but I will be booking my room soon I'm not worried about the day of or after. I'm worried about before. This will be my first half and we like to power tour. But we also typically spend a week and two days go to Universal. I'm just wondering if I I'll want to be at the first day of expo. Will good things be gone if I went on Friday afternoon. I could see flying in Friday, doing Magic Kingdom only on saturday.

When I did my first PHM in 2013 DH and I came in Thursday since I wanted to experience all the festivities including the expo to include getting souvenirs. That year and subsequent years it seems the pickings were scarce after the first day of the expo. I guess it depends on whether you want a tshirt, shoes, Dooney bag etc. if you do then I would get there day one and if you don't want "stuff" you could pick up your bib on Saturday at the expo.

After taking time off from PHM...it looks like I will be back next year for one last hurrah before hanging up the half-marathon shoes so I am already doing some pre pre pre training.

Wishing everyone a healthy happy race....remember to hydrate well on Saturday and run your own race on Sunday !

Argh, Trackshack is having website problems and my malware programs won't even let me got on. Printing at the Expo won't be an issue, right?

Any advice for those traveling alone to the race?I thought it wouldn't bother me, but the more I think of it, the more anxious I become. The idea of walking alone to the bus stop in the dark is suddenly not appealing to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter