Official all things Princess Half Weekend 2015 thread! DOoneY and offical mErcH on DisneyParksBLOg

Not running the PHM this year, but so excited for all of you and happy to see release of the corrals!

For those on the treadmill, I understand! While training for the WDW full marathon, I ran anything from 10 miles to 21 miles on that treadmill every weekend with shorter runs in between. What saved me from the boredom? Lee Hoedl's "All Along the Course" youtube videos!!! They were entertaining and informative and I loved watching Disney runners while training for a Disney race. Most of his videos are related to Marathon Weekend, but the course for the WDW half and the PHM has been the same in the past.

Two of my sisters have A. The rest of us are scattered among other corrals. One here, one there. As a group, we will fall back to the lowest corral, which is I. Ran a 5.5 mile fatlek today on the treadmill. Last long run next week. I threw a few close on the bed that I will pack. Also working on decorating my Magic Band.

My hat is off to all doing long runs on the treadmill and/or in the northern weather - I think you guys are amazing! I've run through my share of torrential rain storms here in FL, but I do't do extreme cold, snow, ice or lengthy time o the treadmill, lol!

Put in a 3.5-5.5-11.25 back-to-back-to-back last weekend and that may be it for the 3 days in a row training. I have a 10K race next weekend and plan to at least try doing a long run the day after, but won't push it if I have any hint of pain. At this point it's all about staying healthy a few more weeks...

Just a few words on costuming from a local: weather forecasts can't be trusted until the day before race day, and our weather can change drastically this time of year. It can truly be 80 one day and 30 the next, should a cold front blow through. I strongly suggest planning multiple options for your outfits with lots of possible layers, including throw-away items you can use to keep warm while waiting and toss before or right after you start. My favorite keep-warm items are mylar blankets (which are dirt cheap on Amazon), cheap knit gloves, knit leg warmers (pretty easy to off over shoes, but also not bad to run in for a while if it's chilly), and old sweaters (cardigans are great for opening enough to show your bib.) :thumbsup2

My hat is off to all doing long runs on the treadmill and/or in the northern weather - I think you guys are amazing! I've run through my share of torrential rain storms here in FL, but I do't do extreme cold, snow, ice or lengthy time o the treadmill, lol!

Put in a 3.5-5.5-11.25 back-to-back-to-back last weekend and that may be it for the 3 days in a row training. I have a 10K race next weekend and plan to at least try doing a long run the day after, but won't push it if I have any hint of pain. At this point it's all about staying healthy a few more weeks...

Just a few words on costuming from a local: weather forecasts can't be trusted until the day before race day, and our weather can change drastically this time of year. It can truly be 80 one day and 30 the next, should a cold front blow through. I strongly suggest planning multiple options for your outfits with lots of possible layers, including throw-away items you can use to keep warm while waiting and toss before or right after you start. My favorite keep-warm items are mylar blankets (which are dirt cheap on Amazon), cheap knit gloves, knit leg warmers (pretty easy to off over shoes, but also not bad to run in for a while if it's chilly), and old sweaters (cardigans are great for opening enough to show your bib.) :thumbsup2

Princess V always gives good advice, and based on my recent experience I say follow this advice!!!!! When I left home for Marathon Weekend, the forecast said it would be warm, warm, warm. I'm usually a very light traveler, but when it comes to being comfortable while running, things are different. So I packed everything and looked ridiculous. In the end, the temps ranged from 86 degrees to 38 degrees during our trip and I was comfy in both extremes and everything in between!

Things Princess V mentioned that I really loved and threw away after the start: 1) My husband's old fleece. It was HUGE on me and so, so warm! 2) $2.50 knit knee socks from target - with feet cut out. Someone recommended that on these boards. They acted like legwarmers until I started running. 3) $1 knit gloves from Target.

Last year for the PHM, I wore jeans and sweatshirts sometimes and run skirts/tech tees and flip flops other times. I wore long sleeves for the 5K and a running tank for the PHM. In other words, everything.

Princess, next time I'll look for the mylar on amazon. Would have loved that.

Anyone in corral I? I'm running RunDisney for my first half, and while my DH and DS will be there, I'm the only one running. Would love to see a fellow Dis-er in the corrals!:)

I'm in I!

This is my 6th Princess Half and I'd be happy to chat with you in the Corral!

Corral J here! I'm in the midst of a super painful hip thing that is probably related to the new insoles I got to help with a foot thing. Ugh! My 12 miler this week had to be cut short to 10.5, because I was basically limping along for the last 2 miles or so. Seeing the PT on Monday but I think I'm either going to have to deal with the foot pain (which only starts around mile 6, I think due to the support in the shoe compressing) or trying new shoes. Scary! But the insoles are going to have to go, my hip is killing me.

My hat is off to all doing long runs on the treadmill and/or in the northern weather - I think you guys are amazing! I've run through my share of torrential rain storms here in FL, but I do't do extreme cold, snow, ice or lengthy time o the treadmill, lol! Put in a 3.5-5.5-11.25 back-to-back-to-back last weekend and that may be it for the 3 days in a row training. I have a 10K race next weekend and plan to at least try doing a long run the day after, but won't push it if I have any hint of pain. At this point it's all about staying healthy a few more weeks... Just a few words on costuming from a local: weather forecasts can't be trusted until the day before race day, and our weather can change drastically this time of year. It can truly be 80 one day and 30 the next, should a cold front blow through. I strongly suggest planning multiple options for your outfits with lots of possible layers, including throw-away items you can use to keep warm while waiting and toss before or right after you start. My favorite keep-warm items are mylar blankets (which are dirt cheap on Amazon), cheap knit gloves, knit leg warmers (pretty easy to off over shoes, but also not bad to run in for a while if it's chilly), and old sweaters (cardigans are great for opening enough to show your bib.) :thumbsup2
One note on the Mylar, lots of folks ended up with timing chips that didn't register their start time at marathon weekend as they ran over the mat with them on. Make sure you toss it before you cross the mat!
Princess V always gives good advice, and based on my recent experience I say follow this advice!!!!! When I left home for Marathon Weekend, the forecast said it would be warm, warm, warm. I'm usually a very light traveler, but when it comes to being comfortable while running, things are different. So I packed everything and looked ridiculous. In the end, the temps ranged from 86 degrees to 38 degrees during our trip and I was comfy in both extremes and everything in between! Things Princess V mentioned that I really loved and threw away after the start: 1) My husband's old fleece. It was HUGE on me and so, so warm! 2) $2.50 knit knee socks from target - with feet cut out. Someone recommended that on these boards. They acted like legwarmers until I started running. 3) $1 knit gloves from Target. Last year for the PHM, I wore jeans and sweatshirts sometimes and run skirts/tech tees and flip flops other times. I wore long sleeves for the 5K and a running tank for the PHM. In other words, everything. Princess, next time I'll look for the mylar on amazon. Would have loved that.

I need to go check on the $1 gloves for the corral, ones I have looked at have been more than I wanted to spend for a throwaway. If it's cold enough I'll wear my real gloves as I can put them in a pocket or clip to a drawstring if I have one but for a buck a throwaway would likely be better. I rarely want the gloves on after 2 miles no matter how cold.

Corral J here! I'm in the midst of a super painful hip thing that is probably related to the new insoles I got to help with a foot thing. Ugh! My 12 miler this week had to be cut short to 10.5, because I was basically limping along for the last 2 miles or so. Seeing the PT on Monday but I think I'm either going to have to deal with the foot pain (which only starts around mile 6, I think due to the support in the shoe compressing) or trying new shoes. Scary! But the insoles are going to have to go, my hip is killing me.

Ugh no fun. I've been dealing with foot, ankle, shoe, and orthotic issues since last may. Have just now finally gotten it all pretty much sorted and resolved. PT and ART really helped.

So I plan to make my outfit today the fabric I have is for a Princess Minnie inspired skirt with shirt and black tights......... However, I am considering going to the fabric store to look at a Frozen inspired fabric. My DD says I should stick with the Minnie and anyways Elsa is a queen and not a princess.

DD (15) is going as Elsa. She is wearing neon blue spandex shorts with and Elsa tutu (she is petite) over it. She has a neon blue tank top. I am going to the craft store to buy iron on snowflakes and look for some fabric for a small cape. She also has an Elsa ball cap with the blond braid.

My costume for the 10K is Minnie Mouse. I have blank spandex shorts with a Sparkle mini mouse skirt. I have a red tank and a Minnie headband.

For the half I am going a Tink. I have neon spandex shorts with a matching tank. I bought the Tink looking Sparkle skirt. I need to get pom poms for my sneakers. I bought the Tink wings to wear as well as the floral headpiece (it stays on with barrettes.

This is my third PHM. I have never dressed up before but always have been in awe of the costumes. :tink:

So I plan to make my outfit today the fabric I have is for a Princess Minnie inspired skirt with shirt and black tights......... However, I am considering going to the fabric store to look at a Frozen inspired fabric. My DD says I should stick with the Minnie and anyways Elsa is a queen and not a princess.

Nothing wrong with being a queen!!:worship:

J here, too!! Looks like that's where a lot of us are!! I still don't know who I'm dressing as!!

Will the information about the Dooney bags be posted on the Run Disney website? Do you have to sign up for a spot to purchase the bags or do you just show up? I haven't been to the PHM for a couple of years and I never purchased a Dooney bag (think this is the year! :rolleyes1) so I'd love to learn how this all works.

Reminder. the boards will be down tomorrow as we move again.
so grab your moving buddy and hopefully we will be up and running by Monday

Got 12 miles in outside in 30 degree weather. Feeling ready!! How was everyone else's long runs??

Thanks for the well wishes guys!!.. I am over it, just have a nasty cough (err hack) left. Training came to an abrupt stop this week! Now my 15 month old has a stomach bug! Hope he gets better quick and that it doesn't spread! Gonna try to put in 12 miles tomorrow.

I am in G - I definitely sprang for a running outfit on etsy! Which came today and I am super pleased with! I don't know how to use a sewing machine - on my bucket list though.

I can't believe how close this is getting. So thankful for all the info you guys share out - AND I too want to get my hands on one of those bags!! They need to show us the goods!

I wish we had a crystal ball to figure out the weather. Accuweather now has it as 50's at the start and highs in 60's all week with a few days reaching 70. Guessing it could change a lot between now and then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter