Official all things Princess Half Weekend 2015 thread! DOoneY and offical mErcH on DisneyParksBLOg

I hope you get better luck than I did at the sports medicine doc for my hip pain... "Maybe you aren't meant to run, check this off the bucket list and one and done". I have been slowly working through with stretches and professional massages

There's a non running sports doctor! My brother had an undiagnosed hernia for nearly a year because of people like that. "Of course you hurt, you're a runner". Ugh.

Finally found someone who runs AND is a sports doc, and who trusted my brother. Went in a found the hernia during surgery (it could not be palpated or found in any way before, though my brother knew just what it was based on symptoms), smallest hernia the doc had seen.

Gotta find good people.

I just scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to see a sports doctor. That sounds like the smart thing to do. I thought of that but then thought no need. You ladies made me realize the common sense in just getting a professional opinion. I'd hate to make the injury worse. I have googled it and it sounds like it could be several things. It hurts sometimes at the side of my buttocks close to my hip and sometimes the middle of my rear. This close to the race it has me worried.

For my body with those areas of pain, I would head to my Chiro. He would likely find that my sacrum and hip bones are slightly misaligned and therefore pulling on a the nerves that pass through the SI joint area. A quick adjustment there and anywhere else that needs it (and he's also willing to and skilled in aligning other body joints, so he checks out my knees and feet as well) and I personally would feel good as new.

Arnica cream/lotion/gel is fabulous for aches and pains by the way. Boiron brand is found all over now, even at grocery stores.

Question for all you veterans out there...what do you eat for breakfast? And where?! I'm assuming nothing is open. Do you all just bring something to eat?

From what I've experienced, the food court areas at the resorts will not be open, however, you can still access the toasters/microwaves/seating areas if you wanted to heat up a piece of toast or a waffle/english muffin. In the past, though, I've found that my stomach is too excited for anything more than a banana (which I pick up the day before as a snack credit on my DDP) and a cup of coffee. I'll bring along a bottle of water and some Sport Beans to munch on in the corral about a half hour before the race starts. I've stayed at two DVC places the night before/morning of the race, and had a waffle with PB, strawberries and honey, and that was a good pre-race meal, too, so I think it's all personal preference and whether or not you have facilities to make breakfast yourself since nothing is open that early.

I bought tutus for the 5k only. I hadn't thought about it, but recently saw something about them getting staticky on runs. Is this only for long runs? Or should I be concerned for the 5k? And if so, any ideas?? Thanks!!

I have run the past three PHMs in a tutu and have never experienced static cling. I think it's just far too humid in FL for this to be an issue (especially last year's PHM), but if you're really concerned about it, then spritz some aerosol hairspray on your tutu before you head out and that should prevent any static cling from forming.

Question for all you veterans out there...what do you eat for breakfast? And where?! I'm assuming nothing is open. Do you all just bring something to eat?

I bring a few bananas and some Special K pastry crisps to WDW. I usually eat a banana and pasty crisp…I have half around 3:30 am and the other half in the corral. I also buy a juice box to take to the corral. There is water at the staging area. In the past, the night before the run you can purchase a boxed breakfast at most quick service resort restaurants. I have not purchased one, but I believe it has a bagel, banana and some other stuff.

AFM..I am such a wimp…it is low 50 here and some wind, but I still did 12 miles on the TM this afternoon.

Thanks PrincessV :flower3:

I have run the past three PHMs in a tutu and have never experienced static cling. I think it's just far too humid in FL for this to be an issue (especially last year's PHM), but if you're really concerned about it, then spritz some aerosol hairspray on your tutu before you head out and that should prevent any static cling from forming.

Thanks for the tip! This will be my first tutu so I'm pretty clueless

Where is the medal engraving usually set up at the finish? I would like to get my Princess and TOT done seeing as I didn't have any cash on me at the after party in October. Would my family have access to this to get started on TOT while I run? How much is it? Thanks!!

I always get my medals done after the races. The longest I've waited was 15 min after the marathon. I'm not a fast runner, so if you are a faster runner I would guess your wait would be shorter. They usually have capability to use cc's but cash is faster. Unless it changes it has been $20 for the past 2 years. Look for the tent when entering the pre race area. Sometimes it changes slightly from race to race.

It is raining here this evening so I did some interval training on the treadmill this evening and then took a dance trance class. One more short run this week and then to do 14 miles this weekend.

PrincessV - just wanted to let you know we took your advice and are going with the later reservation for lunch! I doubt it'll give us much "extra" free time but we won't have to hurry out of the post race area unless we want to. I figured we could always take a quick dip in the pool before changing and going to lunch if we really have extra time. Or just head back to the park early. I think our reservation is now 1:45.

Eandesmom - in case you were wondering/curious, I'm up to running 9 miles. I took two short walking breaks at mile 3 and 7 to drink some water but otherwise ran the whole time. I was very surprised but happy! I expect to do a little walking on race day but will hopefully run most of it! Debating between 10 and 11 miles this weekend, we'll see how it feels.

Who ever was talking about Clif shot blocks, honey stinger chews and waffles - Thank you!!! They are awesome! I ordered a couple boxes to try and then sent some to my running partner to try too!

Everyone talking about D&B purses, I will blame you for my new purse! I could have happily gone to the race without knowing about them saved my money, now I'm thinking I need a new purse!

Now I just need to make my costume and pack!

I just scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to see a sports doctor. That sounds like the smart thing to do. I thought of that but then thought no need. You ladies made me realize the common sense in just getting a professional opinion. I'd hate to make the injury worse. I have googled it and it sounds like it could be several things. It hurts sometimes at the side of my buttocks close to my hip and sometimes the middle of my rear. This close to the race it has me worried.

So glad you are getting it looked at and glad it is a sports doc. I"ve had tremendous luck with a combo of PT and Chiro/ART. It really could be a lot of things. I have a pretty regular stretch, hip/glute strengthening and roll routine that while, while a total time suck and huge annoyance...really makes all the difference in the world. That said...

NO NSAID's while running (ibuprofen). The kidney's can't handle it well with the added stress. Tylenol is ok.

I hope you get better luck than I did at the sports medicine doc for my hip pain... "Maybe you aren't meant to run, check this off the bucket list and one and done". I have been slowly working through with stretches and professional massages

Get a new doc, check out a PT or better yet someone who has a combo practice with PT and Chrio/ART.

Eandesmom - in case you were wondering/curious, I'm up to running 9 miles. I took two short walking breaks at mile 3 and 7 to drink some water but otherwise ran the whole time. I was very surprised but happy! I expect to do a little walking on race day but will hopefully run most of it! Debating between 10 and 11 miles this weekend, we'll see how it feels.

Who ever was talking about Clif shot blocks, honey stinger chews and waffles - Thank you!!! They are awesome! I ordered a couple boxes to try and then sent some to my running partner to try too!

Now I just need to make my costume and pack!

That is great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad the fuel is working out for you!

Hello all! Two weeks until I'm headed back H*O*ME!

I have a question about the 5K. This will be my Mom's first 5K ever and she is overweight. She has been trying very hard to increase her time to hit that 16 min mark. She is scared to death of the balloon ladies and being swept. So nervous that she was reading the event guide and began to feel queasy. I read somewhere that there are no balloon ladies at the 5Ks. Is this true? I have ran the 5Ks before but never worried about being swept. If they wont be there, I want to let her know so that she will relax and look forward to the trip instead of dreading it. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I am slow and believe I was in last corral in 2014. I never felt pressure to speed up. I never saw balloon ladies and I'm pretty sure as long as your moving they let you keep going without sweep.

Thanks for all the advice and support about my hip.
I go to the doctor today. Excited to see what he has to say. Have not ran since Sunday, and no exercise since I swam on Tuesday. It is driving me crazy not to train. Hopefully I get the clear to run soon.
I've done several 5ks in the past and last year did the Princess 10k. This is my first half. And luckily my first run injury.
I feel I need to get in one last long run before the week of our race. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Has anyone looked the the half map on the runDisney site? It looks like they are going to bring us in the front gate of the MK instead of the "secret gate" between the restaurant and hat shop. Did anyone run the WDW half last month and was that a change?

Has anyone looked the the half map on the runDisney site? It looks like they are going to bring us in the front gate of the MK instead of the "secret gate" between the restaurant and hat shop. Did anyone run the WDW half last month and was that a change?
I'm not doing Princess this year but I did just do the WDW Half - it was still the "secret gate" route between Tony's and the Chapeau, even though the course map made it look like we were going through the front gates just like the Princess one does. :confused3

PrincessV - just wanted to let you know we took your advice and are going with the later reservation for lunch! I doubt it'll give us much "extra" free time but we won't have to hurry out of the post race area unless we want to. I figured we could always take a quick dip in the pool before changing and going to lunch if we really have extra time. Or just head back to the park early. I think our reservation is now 1:45.
I think you'll be really happy with that time!

I read somewhere that there are no balloon ladies at the 5Ks. Is this true? I have ran the 5Ks before but never worried about being swept. If they wont be there, I want to let her know so that she will relax and look forward to the trip instead of dreading it. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I can't saw if the Balloon Ladies do the 5K or not, but I think what you really want to know is if people are swept for falling behind pace (Balloon Ladies keep the 16:00/mi pace in an unofficial capacity - the sweepers are the rD official folks who make the call and sweep folks who are behind pace.) I am not exaggerating in any way when I tell you that I started from the 2nd-to-last corral last year and averaged around a 21:00/mi pace - I mostly strolled and made tons of picture stops. No sweeping to be seen. I've never seen or heard of anyone being swept at any of the WDW 5Ks, other than for medical reasons. She should be fine!

Thanks for all the advice and support about my hip.
I go to the doctor today.
Sending good thoughts!

Nope, same ol' secret gate for WDW Half, despite the map showing otherwise. I expect PHM to be the same.

I've messed up my back somehow. Between that and the snow/ice on the road--and more snow this weekend, what UP New England represent--this hasn't been a great running week.

They are killing me with the wait for merchandise. And on a somewhat related note - when do we get the drawstring bag for the half? I had figured it was at the expo but I saw pictures of it at the PHM finish?

I Just ate my yogurt in prep for my 8 miles in an hour or two here. And I realized how perfect it would be to have that early before the race. Too bad I have no idea how to transport my coconut chobani yogurt with almonds and dark chocolate chips to FL :sad2:

They are killing me with the wait for merchandise. And on a somewhat related note - when do we get the drawstring bag for the half? I had figured it was at the expo but I saw pictures of it at the PHM finish?

I Just ate my yogurt in prep for my 8 miles in an hour or two here. And I realized how perfect it would be to have that early before the race. Too bad I have no idea how to transport my coconut chobani yogurt with almonds and dark chocolate chips to FL :sad2:

Oh I LOVE that yogurt and get as a treat. Perhaps they sell some kind of yogurt at the resort that will keep in your 'fridge in room.

I saw something about a string bag give away at DTD Sunday afternoon under the "ibag" thing.

Good luck on the run.

Anyone have any transportation tips for staying off site? Am I even allowed to say that here!? I am staying close by and I have my car. Anyone with experience know the best place to go to pick up a ride to the corrals?

They handed it out after the half last year.

If there are other things you'd like to have besides the yogurt, you could order groceries!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter