Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

I have a bad ankle myself that I hope to strengthen as we lead up to February. Gotta start that training now!

I found that doing lots of barefoot work was GREAT for my ankles and feet. Yoga and pilates are barefoot, involve balance and keep stable by really planting your feet, and they have helped me so much. I can actually make an arch now ,and I've never had an arch.

I also chose to go minimal with my shoes, or at least, MORE minimal. I still haven't gone beyond 6 miles in my New Balances with the Vibram soles, but I do Halfs in my Nike Frees and it's better for me than using more built-up shoes. Keeps you on the ball of the foot, involves more foot strength, and *for me* it has been great for strengthening my feet and ankles. You have to work into it, though, that is for SURE. And it's a totally personal decision beyond just "spend more time barefoot". :)

My cousin still hasn't gotten back to me regarding the 5k. Honestly I'm thinking of just doing Princess by myself. Eep! (especially since Princess isn't something I'm drawn to do, but when I start to think of something for a certain period of time it's hard to go back from it)

Technically there's a pace requirement of 16:00 min/mile.
In my experience, they don't enforce it for the 5K. Last year my pace was closer to 20:00 min/mile with all the stops, and there were still people who finished after me. Assuming she can walk the whole 3.1 miles without bothering her knees too much, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Good to know... I told her she needed to work her way up to a 16:00 mile so she is very aware of that. Let's hope she can do it :)

I think their main concern with the 5Ks is clearing the park in time for opening. I have absolutely seen people walk the 5Ks, and I think I have read about finish times between 1:00-1:30. You will have a blast!

I've heard about people having a blast at these races and I can't wait to try one! I have friends that run Disney races often and they tell me I need to start joining them.

I found that doing lots of barefoot work was GREAT for my ankles and feet. Yoga and pilates are barefoot, involve balance and keep stable by really planting your feet, and they have helped me so much. I can actually make an arch now ,and I've never had an arch.

I also chose to go minimal with my shoes, or at least, MORE minimal. I still haven't gone beyond 6 miles in my New Balances with the Vibram soles, but I do Halfs in my Nike Frees and it's better for me than using more built-up shoes. Keeps you on the ball of the foot, involves more foot strength, and *for me* it has been great for strengthening my feet and ankles. You have to work into it, though, that is for SURE. And it's a totally personal decision beyond just "spend more time barefoot". :)

I have been doing some workouts similar to yoga to help out my ankle. I wear a brace pretty much 24/7 to help stabilize it and can actually do a lot without much pain. It's the length that worries me. I've gotten so out of shape that my ankle hurts more often than it used to!

Thanks everyone!

I have been doing some workouts similar to yoga to help out my ankle. I wear a brace pretty much 24/7 to help stabilize it and can actually do a lot without much pain. It's the length that worries me. I've gotten so out of shape that my ankle hurts more often than it used to!

Very cool!

And yes, being on your feet for so long is challenging when you have a weak ankle.

The one thing I've done every PHM weekend to save my feet/ankles/legs, is at the end of each day I'll lie on my back with my legs up the wall for about 15 minutes before going to bed. It's a great de-stresser, and it relieves a lot of pressure in my lower half. I've also gone down to the pool to soak my legs in the cool water prior to putting my legs up the wall. And don't forget epsom salt to soak your feet! I like the lavendar bath salts from Aveda - so relaxing!

I bought the travel size version of The Stick at the last PHM Expo (why it took me this long to buy one, I have no idea), and it is a godsend for rolling out my legs. My bf even used it quite a few times on our last trip. I like that it can fit easily in my suitcase without taking up too much space.

The one thing I've done every PHM weekend to save my feet/ankles/legs, is at the end of each day I'll lie on my back with my legs up the wall for about 15 minutes before going to bed. It's a great de-stresser, and it relieves a lot of pressure in my lower half. I've also gone down to the pool to soak my legs in the cool water prior to putting my legs up the wall. And don't forget epsom salt to soak your feet! I like the lavendar bath salts from Aveda - so relaxing!

I bought the travel size version of The Stick at the last PHM Expo (why it took me this long to buy one, I have no idea), and it is a godsend for rolling out my legs. My bf even used it quite a few times on our last trip. I like that it can fit easily in my suitcase without taking up too much space.

I LOVE doing legs up the wall! I actually read that it helps prevent varicose veins too, so I try to remember to do it every night before I go to bed, regardless of whether I've run or not. We have the stick too and love it, but we just bought an awesome foam roller that is hollow in the center (like a PVC pipe), so I thought I might be able to pack that and shove some bananas and stuff in there to keep them safe in transit!

Okay ladies, real talk time. How well did you manage park time while doing GSC? We are planning on doing AK on Friday, MK on Saturday after the 10k, and Epcot on Sunday after the half. Did you feel like you could adequately tour the parks even with running both races? I have major FOMO thinking about NOT doing GSC, but I want to be able to enjoy myself in the parks too! Looking for any GSC alums experiences!

I will chime in on this, with a caveat. Only you can know how you will react to the combo of early mornings and park days. Your normal energy level and sleep practices play a lot into how this will go for you. From being part of the 2014 and 2015 GSC/PHM threads there a lot of varying opinions. Some people say they don't go with families because they can't handle much time in the parks well along with the races, some feel they can handle both the race and family vacation aspect with little adjustment.

I have done GSC the last two years, and got up for the 5k both years as well, though I only ran it this year, I watched family the first year. Both years I toured with my active young kids each day. Both years I got to Orlando on Wednesday, and hit the expo Thursday after a morning in the park. I got up at 4 for the 5ks, 3-3:30 for the 10k and halves. I never stuck around after the races much, just got my medal, snacks, and pictures and headed back to the hotel for a shower and change. I took an ice bath after my first half in 2014, and really thought it helped, so I did it this year after the 10k and half. I also wore compression recovery socks all day after the races. Looks ridiculous, but I can absolutely tell a difference. I do it sometimes at home after long runs, and not on other days. I can feel a difference in my legs on the day after.

We were in a park around opening after the 5k and 10k, I joined them after my ice bath and shower after the halves, as they had gone straight to a park after meeting me at that finish. I do the 5k with my DD (now 7) and my sone and husband come watch. No one comes to the 10k, they sleep in that day -well DH watch me run by Bw from the balcony:) Each day we hit one park in the morning, eat lunch there, hit a ride or two after lunch, then go back to the hotel (BLT in 2014, BWV in 2015) for pool time in the afternoon. Our dinners were all at other hotels so we did not return to parks again. So I felt like our vacation was not compromised by my participation in the races. My kids did not notice any difference from our regular days. In fact in 2014 when my daughter wanted to stay at Magic Kingdom after everyone else wanted to leave, I was the one who stayed with her.

However, I am an early morning person. I am also an early exerciser, so though the race mornings were earlier than normal for me, it wasn't a gigantic adjustment. In the main training season I am up by 5 most days. So if you are not used to early mornings, I suggest practicing by getting up at least an hour earlier than normal for a week or two prior to the races.

The GSC is so much fun. I swore last year was my last. I was never a runner, but I agreed to do it in 2014 with my sister, who then got pregnant. She deferred, so I did it again this year to do it with her. I said that would be it. But both years I have been fighting injuries, so I want one more try. Hoping third time will be a charm:)

I considered going with just the half this year, since its been the only problem race for me. But my extreme FOMO got me and I'll be in for the GSC and 5k with my daughter again.

I will chime in on this, with a caveat. Only you can know how you will react to the combo of early mornings and park days. Your normal energy level and sleep practices play a lot into how this will go for you. From being part of the 2014 and 2015 GSC/PHM threads there a lot of varying opinions. Some people say they don't go with families because they can't handle much time in the parks well along with the races, some feel they can handle both the race and family vacation aspect with little adjustment.

I have done GSC the last two years, and got up for the 5k both years as well, though I only ran it this year, I watched family the first year. Both years I toured with my active young kids each day. Both years I got to Orlando on Wednesday, and hit the expo Thursday after a morning in the park. I got up at 4 for the 5ks, 3-3:30 for the 10k and halves. I never stuck around after the races much, just got my medal, snacks, and pictures and headed back to the hotel for a shower and change. I took an ice bath after my first half in 2014, and really thought it helped, so I did it this year after the 10k and half. I also wore compression recovery socks all day after the races. Looks ridiculous, but I can absolutely tell a difference. I do it sometimes at home after long runs, and not on other days. I can feel a difference in my legs on the day after.

We were in a park around opening after the 5k and 10k, I joined them after my ice bath and shower after the halves, as they had gone straight to a park after meeting me at that finish. I do the 5k with my DD (now 7) and my sone and husband come watch. No one comes to the 10k, they sleep in that day -well DH watch me run by Bw from the balcony:) Each day we hit one park in the morning, eat lunch there, hit a ride or two after lunch, then go back to the hotel (BLT in 2014, BWV in 2015) for pool time in the afternoon. Our dinners were all at other hotels so we did not return to parks again. So I felt like our vacation was not compromised by my participation in the races. My kids did not notice any difference from our regular days. In fact in 2014 when my daughter wanted to stay at Magic Kingdom after everyone else wanted to leave, I was the one who stayed with her.

However, I am an early morning person. I am also an early exerciser, so though the race mornings were earlier than normal for me, it wasn't a gigantic adjustment. In the main training season I am up by 5 most days. So if you are not used to early mornings, I suggest practicing by getting up at least an hour earlier than normal for a week or two prior to the races.

The GSC is so much fun. I swore last year was my last. I was never a runner, but I agreed to do it in 2014 with my sister, who then got pregnant. She deferred, so I did it again this year to do it with her. I said that would be it. But both years I have been fighting injuries, so I want one more try. Hoping third time will be a charm:)

I considered going with just the half this year, since its been the only problem race for me. But my extreme FOMO got me and I'll be in for the GSC and 5k with my daughter again.

Thank you for sharing! I have generally been getting up around 5am and working out most days per week, so two early days should be fairly easy to handle. Plus, I think I'll be so excited and that will make it easier. I'm going to work on getting up at 5 every day though this year. My husband and I have both been to WDW twice before, so it won't be an all out tour-fest for us. We've seen most of the big stuff in the parks, so nice easy days after the races shouldn't be difficult to do.

FOMO is no joke!! :rotfl:

Does anyone know if there is a parking fee for the expo and for the race (do you park in the Epcot parking lot for all races?) for off site guests? I know there is for the parks, but I wasn't sure about the race. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a parking fee for the expo and for the race (do you park in the Epcot parking lot for all races?) for off site guests? I know there is for the parks, but I wasn't sure about the race. Thanks!
No fee to park at the expo, or for the race. One exception would be late arriving spectators to the half. There is a cut off for arrival to Epcot at which point they start charging to park. Not positive what time that is at. Maybe 7?

I was looking at this years medals today. I cannot wait to just sign up and have that out of the way. I'm super anxious about the challenge selling out on me.

I think it would be cool if they sort of rotated princesses each year for the theme...like, last year the half/10k/5k medals were Cinderella-themed. Frozen last year. Maybe, oh I don't know, Ariel for this year? :teeth:

GSC medal will always be Cinderella obviously...

I think it would be cool if they sort of rotated princesses each year for the theme...like, last year the half/10k/5k medals were Cinderella-themed. Frozen last year. Maybe, oh I don't know, Ariel for this year? :teeth:

GSC medal will always be Cinderella obviously...

I would flip! That would be fabulous!

I could get down with an Ariel-themed PHM Weekend. I think 2011 was Tinkerbell, right? Then 2012 was Tangled/Rapunzel? I'm getting foggy in my old age, so maybe I'm making this up, lol.

I could get down with an Ariel-themed PHM Weekend. I think 2011 was Tinkerbell, right? Then 2012 was Tangled/Rapunzel? I'm getting foggy in my old age, so maybe I'm making this up, lol.
I ran it in 2011...I don't think the half had a "theme," exactly. This was the medal (the ribbon is green):
IMG_2198.JPG

I remember that year that the 5K medallion was Beauty & the Beast...and you're right that they had a Tangled on in there at some point as well. Some other year it was Royal Mickey & Minnie. I was pretty bummed not to have done that race, cutest medal ever!

Huh, maybe I just assumed it was Tink themed since the ribbon & jewel were light green, lol.

My post from last year's PHM thread regarding race shirts:

I'm curious, as well. Let's see, last year's was blue (well, silver-blue), 2013 was purple, 2012 was white with purple/gold lettering, 2011 was white with green & purple lettering. Can't remember what the race shirts looked like before 2011, but someone who does can feel free to chime in if they remember.
I just hope they're not pink. Or orange. Or that gross maroon from the ribbon on the HM medal.

And they were pink, lol. But, as it turns out, I actually like the bright pink race shirt haha. It makes me more visible when I'm out running on the roads. My favorite is still the purple 5-year anniversary shirt from 2013, though.

I'm getting excited about the theme too. I have medal envy for sure. This year I did the 10K as my first race ever. I'm planning to do all three races this year so that I can get all the bling!

I love my PHM shirt from 2011. That's the runDisney shirt I have that I wear the most. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter