Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

:cold:pirate:
Another newbie here! My friend and I plan on running the 10K, first runDisney event for both of us. Really excited I found this thread. Hello to my fellow Wisconsinites :flower3:
Welcome ! Hopefully you will have a mild winter so you won't have too much treadmill time ! DH is a HUGE packer fan while I am...a rabid Cowboy fan ! You can just imagine how football season is around the house !!!:rotfl2:

Hey guys! I was hoping you run disney experts might be able to clarify something for me. I'm looking at running the GSC or the 10k for the first time in 2016. I noticed people keep referencing needing to prove a certain race time upon registration? Can someone please explain what this is exactly, I haven't been able to find much info on it.

Thank you!

Proof of time. I don't actually think they ask for it at registration anymore. And what it means is tha tyou can prove you *can* do a certain time, so that they start you in a corral closer to the start. So you do a race of the same length (or what they say is allowable) and submit the info about that race and your time.

From the rundisney Princess page:

"If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 3:15 hours, a proof of time from a certified 10K distance or longer is required for start corral placement. Glass Slipper Challenge participants should adhere to Half Marathon proof of time requirements and submit a 10K distance or longer. Proof of time is not required for the 5K or 10K races."

And:

"Please remember, Proof of Time must be provided between August 18, 2015, and November 17, 2015."

And:

• "Proof of time must be provided from a certified race reflecting results after January 1, 2014 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time.
    • Half Marathon – 10K, 12K, 15K, 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon"

Speaking of proof of time, can anyone give me a sense of roughly what times will put you in which corral? The 10K I ran a couple of weeks ago posted my time at 56:34 -- I'm not sure if I could go faster but if I wanted a better corral I could try! :):scared:

Joining in! I will be doing the PHM... Although I'm mulling over the idea of the GSC! This will be my fourth half marathon but my first runDisney race.

@bumbershoot is right that they no longer ask for PoT at registration. You put it in at a later date via a link posted on runDisney.com. It's normally due about 3 months before race day.
Speaking of proof of time, can anyone give me a sense of roughly what times will put you in which corral? The 10K I ran a couple of weeks ago posted my time at 56:34 -- I'm not sure if I could go faster but if I wanted a better corral I could try! :):scared:
I put a similar time into the PoT for Dumbo and it estimated me at a 2:07 half. If you look up last year's corrals that should give you an idea. But for Princess I'm thinking that's right in the middle, if not a few corrals higher. :)
ETA: just looked at last year's corrals. Assuming this year's will be similar and my conversation is right, should be E or F. Don't quote me on that though!

Last edited:

Good morning, fellow Princesses (and princes)-in-training!

I noticed on the RunDisney page that the registration date isn't showing any longer. Does anyone know if it has changed from July 14th? I'm planning on signing up for the GSC and it sells out so quickly that I'd hate to miss the date :scared1:

Have a wonderful day!

Laura

Thank you! :thanks: That's good news - perhaps they were updating the page this morning. I even checked the FAQ's to make sure I hadn't missed anything! Not that I'm obsessed or anything :goodvibes

You guys are scaring me! How quickly does the race sell out? Should I hold off on booking travel arrangements on the chance I don't get a bib?

Thanks again! Will be awaiting the opening bell on July 14th :goodvibes So excited to be joining everyone (hopefully!)

You guys are scaring me! How quickly does the race sell out? Should I hold off on booking travel arrangements on the chance I don't get a bib?

The Wine and Dine Half sold out in 35 minutes. Granted, it was the last race of the calendar year (for those chasing the Coast to Coast medal) but I can see the GSC going just as fast.

Really fast. I'm not going to lie, it can be pretty stressful to register for these things.

I am jumping in on this page too. I did the Princess half in 2012 and plan on doing the GSC in 2016. I did Dopey and Tink last year for my coast to coast. Would love to do Tink again, but we have other travel plans for our daughter's HS graduation trip. I have to do this trip on a budget---as if the words, "Disney" and "budget" should even be in the same sentence---unless you have a very large budget. When I did Dopey, I came in the day before the Expo started and left two days after the marathon. This time I may just have to arrive in Orlando the day the expo opens and then leave on Monday---I suppose if I had to, I could leave Sunday after the race, but that seems like a lot for one day. It will be sad not to have an extra day after the races to do the parks, but at least I would still get to go. We have stayed in POR before. I know it is still such a long way off. Does anyone know if Travel Agents offer a hotel discount for the race weekend?

Also, I do get super stressed when I am trying to register for a Disney race. My heart pounds in my chance as if I my life depends on getting registered. When I registered for the Dopey Challenge, the system crashed. I completely panicked. Alas, it came back up and I got in to the race.

I wouldn't book airfare unless you are going even if you don't get a bib. If the hotel is able to be cancelled then I would book that. I'm not even sure if I'll be trying for Princess but I booked 11 months out at our home DVC resort, just in case.

I made the decision this weekend that I'm going big or going home - 5k + GSC. For me this would be a monumental accomplishment, since to date I've only done 5ks and that's only been since November 2014. I figure what better place to either sink or swim than Disney, right?

What really pushed me over the edge was seeing the Galloway training plans and saying "hey, I can do that!" then realizing I have about 8 months to train. Another factor was realizing that after this year's 5k portion of the EEC, I walked far more than 3 miles (when I included the scavenger hunt, after party + rides and the walk back to my car! LOL). That may have had something to do with my decision to register for the GSC.

This is how the corrals were broken down this year by estimated finish time based on the proof of time submitted:
2015-Princess-Half-Marathon-Corral-Assignments.png

I had submitted a 10K proof of time with 1:00:58, and I was in Corral E. Hope that helps!

I think that there is early registration for AP and DVC members on 20 Jun. Still believe DH and I will do PHM for one last time and probably will...walk ! dH is recovering from surgery on his foot ( bone spur behind Achilles tendon) so running could be hard and we both can walk 14 min miles so not too worried about being swept. Realize we could be in the last corral but keeping in mind that balloon ladies don't start until the last person in the last corral has started so yes my goal is to keep one step ahead of the balloon ladies . Maybe the finish line photo will be with them right behind me !party:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter