Official 2016 HHN-26 Thread

Back to work after a long weekend of HHN (UtH, RIP Tour, Repository). I want to get a longer review in, but a couple of quick hits (and possible spoilers)

Unmasking The Horror Full Day Tour - Still no pics with the Intellectual Properties. That said, US offered a full refund before the tour, and the guides work hard to make sure we got value for our money. Knowing the details, backstory, and thought process behind each house before going through it makes the total experience immeasurably better. We skipped Chance, Walking Dead, and Tomb of the Ancients, but saw the rest. New change - Last time, two years ago, the group had lunch in Monster's Cafe and had about an hour. This time, we left from City Walk's Blue Man Group Theater. Lunch break was from there, and we had about 40 mins. It was enough time to grab something to go, but not a lot of time for lunch overall. We will always do this tour.

HHN Private RIP Tour - Wow! We had a public tour in the past. This time I was able to get a group of 8 to take the tour. Working at a relaxing pace, we did all nine houses twice, plus 3 of them a third time. That's 21 houses from 6:30 pm - 12:30 am, plus multiple breaks, and the Bill & Ted Show.
Top houses included:
* AHS - Did not expect to say that. I always love the premise of each show, but think they generally fall apart and throw too many things at the viewers at once. (Season two: It's an asylum. It's an alien. It's an Angel of Death. It's Man-made monsters. It's a serial killer. It's, it's, it's . . . .) The house, however, was fantastic. It was also the best use of characters we've seen at HHN.
* Exorcist - More creepy than scary, but well done.
* The Walking Dead - The 'best of' approach worked well. The last scene never failed to shine. It also helped that one of our 3 trips through the house was right after a shift change, so we went first with no one in front of us. Very cool experience.
* Halloween II - Lots of Michael Myers kept this house fresh and fun.
* Krampus - The fun house of the year.

The others weren't bad. Overall, a very solid year.

The Repository - What to say, what to say . . . Okay, it may not be worth $50 pp, but I really wanted to experience the first year of it. It was a fun experience, and has a TON of potential. Keeping the spoilers to a minimum:
* It is short. The whole thing was likely 30 mins
* There is about 1/3 VR, and 2/3 interactive haunt. It comes across as an extreme haunt, but really is just a more focused, interactive haunt.
* The pre-VR sections are awesomely well done. Great actors. However, there is really only one very basic puzzle pre-VR, and the actors pretty much did it for us.
* The VR is very cool. The VR is not very scary. There is one part of the VR that can make certain people uneasy, but overall it is nothing to be terrified over.
* As mentioned earlier, there is some very rushed, yelled instructions throughout.
* The endgame was not explained at all.
* That said, we won, with under 10 secs left. Woo hoo!
* I would look into doing it again, but would hope some changes are made and more puzzles are added.
* I'm still glad I did it, and recommend others try it. View it as a jumping off point for future haunts.

The Scare Zones -
* Had fun interacting with Chance's escapees from Shadybrook (although Chance herself didn't impress us much) and the Vamps from Homecoming 1955. Fun zones.
* Survive or Die and Banshee were very similar to past years. Dead Man's Wharf was great looking, but quite small.

Overall, a lot of fun packed into just a few nights.

Steve in Philly

That did make me laugh...

I was complaining about the 95 degree heat last week - but the rain would be far worse.

I was wondering how this affects the scareactors in the scare zones- have not seen any pictures yet on Flikr - but it seems like it would wash off the makeup and such - I assume they don't close that down.
If it is raining heavy, sa might not be in the scare zones
Depends if it is a heavy rain with the payment slippery and in puddles if sa are scarce in a zone

They will be present but might not be as active in the heavy rain

Scare zones have stationary props usually and they are kept in place rain or no rain

They are always opened

Went on october 2nd.
Id rate this year about a 7.5 overall.
Crowds were not bad at all with our Express Pass.
We managed to get in 30 minutes early with our hotel key from cabana bay.
We did all 9 houses, academy of villians, bill and ted, every scare zone, MIB, Mummy, and Transformers. We ended up leaving at 1:15 a.m. and skipped potter. We do that on normal days anyways.

First, I will say that Academy of Villains was a GREAT show.
That little dude with the curly hair can do just about anything huh???
14462729_1984220531804941_3680412468918485963_n.jpg

Second, we enjoyed Bill and Ted. It wasnt as good as last year, but it was still quality and had funny moments. Seemed like they just randomly packed in too many current events into the show. Rylo Ken is classic.

Third.. im going to just bust into the biggest disappointment.... the scare zones. They were all either horrible or close to it. The one closest to TWD with all the gas mask was the best one.. and it was just OK. they definitely pumped creative juices into makeup, quality, etc. and completely forgot that they were supposed to scare people. Besides ladies that were skittish simply from being chased by chainsaw people; I didnt witness a SINGLE person being scared or startled. The scare zones could have been cleared off the maps.Maybe given us a 10th house included with regular ticket and I would have been thrilled.

4th.. the houses. ABSOLUTELY 10 times better than last year from every angle imo. I liked something about ALL of them.

Ghost Town - I was actually startled once in this house in the middle of a room. It wasn't BIG on scares, but.. without spoilers... there is a large open area that is detailed VERY VERY well and its just a really cool house. Other people in my group got about 2 scares. They got my friend a few people back from me really good. id rate this one 3 out of 5.
14463006_1984358185124509_5970961112737499489_n.jpg

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - I didnt get scared at all in this housel...BUT... again.. great set design. Really good quality house. people in my group got 2 or 3 good scares. Just for the I.P. alone it was a middle of the pack house. Rate this one 3 out of 5.
14448951_1984303521796642_3973793825902837031_n.jpg

Krampus - RIDICULOUSLY awesome detail in this house. Got a startle scare one time in this one. Overall it wasn't very scary for people around me.
id rate this one a 2.5 out of 5.
14523120_1984303605129967_8103406661583805368_n.jpg

The Exorcist - The scenes were right from the movie and they were done REALLY REALLY WELL. just from the artistic point they get bonus points.
i got two BIG startle scares because the actors were bam bam bam... the only bad part of this house is it seems REALLY short.. like REALLY short.
id rate this one a 3.5 out of 5.
14581371_1984220468471614_1242554518522864927_n.jpg

Tomb of the Ancients - THIS IS THHHEEEEE HOUSE!!! oh man. There is just point after point of scare opportunities. whoever did this house needs an award or something. I got startle scared at LEAST 5 times in the house. the details were amazing. I wont spoil it... but this is a 5 out of 5 for me.

The Walking Dead - MOST DISAPPOINTING HOUSE OF ALL OF THEM.

After researching it looks like they weren't aloud to have ANY characters. That was just killing it for me. None of it was scary for anyone in my group. Everyone was pissing and moaning when we exited. Going through the house I think there MAY have been 2 or 3 spots that COULD have scared us if we were in the right place, but they got the people ahead of us. NOW.. the artistic side was top notch... great sets.. but they all seemed EMPTY. The only "character" was a guy from terminus. Everything else was zombies :( I guess we should have researched, but to see the cool sets and not see any governor or Negan was almost criminal to add on to the lack of scares.
this house gets a 2 out of 5.. ONLY because the set design.

Halloween
14463016_1984303761796618_5254938326343570545_n.jpg

I knew walking up to the house that it was probably going to disappoint. It was in the same spot as walking dead from LAST year. MAYBE our spot in line made it worse. Seemed like all the timing was wrong. it gets some cool points for having great scenes STRAIGHT from halloween 2. I did get startled coming around a corner.. so it had that going for it. they ended up really scaring a few people behind me in our group and they liked it much more than I did. I may have just been a victim of a poor spot in line. This one seemed really short. I think that had to do with small rooms and room after room that looked very similar and obviously had the same character. It had the same short feeling of exorcist for me. a little too much repetition.
Id give this one a 2.5 out of 5.
14463046_1984220505138277_4798509424045472620_n.jpg

Lunatics Playground - I really really am giving this one a big amount of credit. Maybe more than i should. I got scared 0 times in this whole house.. BUT.. this was 20 times better than last years alice house. the tunnel is ALWAYS awesome. The thing i liked about this house was the STORY.. pay attention to the STORY. The non stop high energy scenes were AMAZING. Its not going to be a house that scares you... but if you appreciate it for what it is... its very good. one complaint... why in the world is it in the BACK of the park and the chance ZONE is closest to the gate???? i didnt get that thematically.
ALL the houses seemed like they were placed STRANGE... they didnt really fit to me.

Im giving this one a 3 out of 5.
14516503_1984303738463287_8817810094985084089_n.jpg

American Horror Story- I had low expectations for this one because i really havent liked any of the seasons a lot passed season 3. Season 4 i barely made it through. The rest of the seasons got deleted off my DVR after a few episodes.. BUT!!!! the house was AMAZING! My buddy hates clowns and was absolutely terrified in the final room.. so it gets bonus points for that. The details were AMAZING. i got 2 or 3 startle scares in this house. Im really glad it was good, because with our express passes we actually had to wait almost 20 minutes to get in! the wait time for NON EP was 150 minutes! this was another trifecta house like TOMBS.. great scares, great character details, and great room/prop details.
14572172_1984303688463292_6518508424520110961_n.jpg

left the park at 1:15 am while it started to sprinkle rain. What a blessing.

Overall we had a really amazing time. I just hope that next year they put some effort into the scare zones.
14523079_1984368738456787_1177161249303483301_n.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoyed our 1st night on Sunday, more crowded that I had anticipated. Was able to do Halloween from scare zone with Carole & co. Via short wait in non express.

DH is pretty solid, But got a few jumps in ghost town. Halloween had so many scare-actors, it was hard to take it all in. I think even mac got caught once, nothing usually phases her lol. I was ambushed from behind once that sent me low:thumbsup2

Puzzles me to see people whipping out their EP when no lines:confused3

Even stopping to see friends @ Duffs for, ahem some time, managed to see most of the houses. Was convinced that the light-up refill cup was a great deal. Figure I have 3 more HHNs. this year to work it and make it so:rolleyes1 and will do-over next year.

SCAREZONES were hit/miss for me except for the football/50's theme one. Loved the float & it had lots of energy. Nice to see something different tried out.

Janet I know you liked that scare zone with the football player by the number of pics you took there

SCAREZONES were hit/miss for me except for the football/50's theme one. Loved the float & it had lots of energy. Nice to see something different tried out.
Yeah the people in that zone were really good - lots or random story lines going on - I wont say much as I dont want to really spoil it for anyone - but it was the best of them.

The other are really just fun to observe and watch the people who loose it. For example there was a women stuck in a shop near Transformers - and the pumpkinhead just waited for her and every time she came up he chased her and she hid back in the shop - this went on for quite a while.

Similar thing at Finnegan'a - a women was hiding in Finnegan and afraid to leave.
Her boyfriend finally convinced her to come out and sit on the bench - and even that was a battle....so I may have said something to a scareactor who proceeded to sneak up on her....and she was back hiding in Finnegan's...

The Cheerleaders were also doing a great job of hiding and getting people - so again just a lot of fun to watch for a while.

The Chainsaw Massacre folks were also really funny to watch - the lines they would come out with were pretty funny...and they were the creepiest looking for the most part IMO

So that is the fun of the scare zones for me - you have to hang around and watch them for a while..walking through yeah not much to them..and overall they were not good as past years.

Has there been talk of HHN not taking place due to Matthew? We are suppose to be there tonight - Monday. This sucks. I'm thinking about canceling. Especially if HHN isn't going to happen

Has there been talk of HHN not taking place due to Matthew? We are suppose to be there tonight - Monday. This sucks. I'm thinking about canceling. Especially if HHN isn't going to happen
oh that sucks :( I hope that Matthew curves out to sea and doesn't dump too much rain on orlando

I have a UTH combo tour Thursday, private rip tour Friday and another tour Sunday

Left
GS hour ago and all tours still scheduled for this weekend

Until the hurricane hits shore, no changes for Hhn

If changes happen you will be notified for your booked tours

Does anyone know if any website or company is selling dicount tickets for HHN? Thanks in advance

We only had one night for HHN this year, so we went for the non-private HHN tour. We have always got RoF w/ EP or FF w/ EP and gone 2-3 nights. Since we only had one night, we wanted to make sure we saw all the houses and B&T.

We checked in for our tour at 6:30. The complimentary appetizers and (non-alcoholic) drinks were great. We also visited the cash bar for an adult beverage. Our tour started at 7:00 and ended about 11:30. The tour guide briefly described the backstory of the houses before entering. He also mentioned some details to look for that might be missed. He also took us on Gringott's and Transformers. We used shortcuts (through gates and employee-only areas) to easily move from site to site. It was fantastic!

Pros of the non-private tour: saw everything, got background info, some time left at end to go on our own
Cons of the tour: followed the guide's schedule, only a few breaks for restrooms and drinks, only saw each house once

So, our takeaway from the experience:
A) If we only have one night for HHN, we will definitely get the RIP tour again. If the opportunity to join a private tour arose, we would jump on it, so we could visit the houses twice in one night.
B) If we have multiple nights (2-3) for HHN, we will get RoF+EP or FF+EP and use Stay and Scream to see each house multiple times over 2-3 nights.

Hope this helps others debating purchasing the non-private RIP tour.

Bonus, anecdotal house ratings: All houses are worth seeing. Our favorites were AHS, H2, Exorcist, and TCM. Obviously, timing is everything in haunted houses. The sets in all houses are good (Chance's house) to excellent (the rest of the houses).

We checked in for our tour at 6:30. The complimentary appetizers and (non-alcoholic) drinks were great. We also visited the cash bar for an adult beverage. Our tour started at 7:00 and ended about 11:30. The tour guide briefly described the backstory of the houses before entering. He also mentioned some details to look for that might be missed. He also took us on Gringott's and Transformers. We used shortcuts (through gates and employee-only areas) to easily move from site to site. It was fantastic!.

Hi Imprint! You said that you went on two rides with a non-private tour. Is this something you were able to request? I did a non-private RIP tour last year and we didn't get to do any rides or have any complimentary appetizers/drinks. We're going again this Sunday so if this is something new this year, we would love to request a few rides!

The LaBamba set up is new this year
For soda, water and apps
Cash bar also open at the place

Last year and all the years, rides will be done in the public tour if time available

The tour guide will decide on the rides

My tour bad TF

At the end of my tour lines were short for the mummy so our group also did that as we had a few minutes left of the tour

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter