Official 2016 Dopey Challenge Thread

I'm not saying I'm going to walk the entire half, just meant I will be taking it super easy with possibly a 10min pace or higher to avoid being wiped.

Didn't know exactly what you meant. It is a very common strategy and probably is so for a reason. Because of the course congestion and loooong character lines I have never been able to take it as easy as I have planned going into it, preferring to get it done and get back to rest and prepare for the marathon rather than prolonging my experience on the course. My best laid plans go awry because of my impatience.

We will be taking the half really easy too, likely 'brisk' walking most of it rather than our normal half run plan. This will be our first full (and likely last) so our goal is to finish the full feeling well enough, and having enough time, to enjoy our Dopey medals, and the finish area festivities and comradery. We will likely not do a whole lot of park time before the full, although it really has helped how we feel after past races if we spend time walking around. We are always the goofy looking ones wearing shorts and (compression) knee socks in our sandals!

This will be our first full (and likely last)

Hahahaha!!!!

I've heard that one before!

That's like saying "I'll just have a couple of Pringles but no more than that".

People say it...and even truly believe it...but I know many people that throw that out the window almost immediately!

I even said that myself.

That was seven marathons ago.

Good luck on the Dopey! I am looking forward to it so much!

I did the half as a walk/run, just like all of the races - but I trained that way (doing back-to-back runs at similar paces) so my body was used to it. I didn't want to be on my feet for significantly longer than normal...:confused3
This will be our first full (and likely last)
That's what I said leading up to the marathon in 2012...and then I did it twice more (and will most likely do it again). :)

Hahahaha!!!!

I've heard that one before!

That's like saying "I'll just have a couple of Pringles but no more than that".

People say it...and even truly believe it...but I know many people that throw that out the window almost immediately!

I even said that myself.

That was seven marathons ago.

Good luck on the Dopey! I am looking forward to it so much!

Thought my first half in 2012 was going to be my first and only race. I was already planning on signing up for the marathon the following year before I finished, it was the first thing my sister and I mentioned when we found each other after the race.

Summer is behind me and my WDW vacation is over :(. Time to change gears from running for conditioning and fun to training.

My first official Dopey training run was this morning. I am at 35 miles/week right now, but my Dopey plan tops out at 65 miles before my 3 week taper. The training looks so intimidating on paper that race week seems like a walk in the park. :faint:

Well, nuthin' to it but to do it. Time to get serious so I can enjoy race week and my next WDW vacation. :thumbsup2

Wow - what a difference cool temps make. 50 degrees this morning and my 5 mile run was a dream, even after 3 weeks of low mileage while on vacation.

Training is going... but I'm set back again with bursitis flare ups, so annoying as it always hurts. But my race outfit/costume planning is under way, isn't that more important, ha! Hope everyone's training is going well as we enter Fall running time!

Ran my PoT race back in April, so that has been in the books and submitted for a while. As for my running - after essentially taking September off from training, I am back at it with a passion. Had an awesome 7 miler this morning. Cooler temps = great runs.

Just thought I would say hey to all you Dopey runners out there. Tomorrow begins October and the work to get to Dopey is becoming very real! How is your training going? How are proof of time races going? Wishing you all good runs!

DH has given up the idea of any proof of time for the marathon. Also, Thursday night has become pasta night as part of DH's training. That's because Fridays are his long runs. He's up to 14 miles on Friday. He says he's following Jeff Galloway's recommendations pretty much, although I don't think the required post-race No Way Jose Sundae is part of the training recommendation.

Summer is behind me and my WDW vacation is over :(. Time to change gears from running for conditioning and fun to training.

My first official Dopey training run was this morning. I am at 35 miles/week right now, but my Dopey plan tops out at 65 miles before my 3 week taper. The training looks so intimidating on paper that race week seems like a walk in the park. :faint:

Well, nuthin' to it but to do it. Time to get serious so I can enjoy race week and my next WDW vacation. :thumbsup2

Holy Cow what training plan are you following? I used Higdon's last year and I think it topped out at 40ish.

Also, just wanted to add a little warning for the slower runners, even though there may not be much you can do about it. Last year I started in K and finished the full in 6:18. I went straight to the race retreat since I had paid for it and it only had about 30 minutes left before it closed. After a delicious breakfast (I'm going to miss not having scrambled eggs and Coke after the NYC Marathon..weird I know :upsidedow) I got in line for pictures with Goofy and Dopey. The line for Dopey was pretty long and a lady near the end was cutting off the line telling everyone that Dopey was about to finish for the day and we may not be able to get photos. Keep in mind that many people had still not even finished the race yet. After A LOT of loud complaining by those on line, Dopey stayed out long enough for me to get a picture. However, I don't know when he finally went in.

The point of my story is that us slower runners tend to miss out on stuff. If you have paid for the race retreat, or really want a character photo at the end, I would recommend trying to cut out any unnecessary stops.

Holy Cow what training plan are you following? I used Higdon's last year and I think it topped out at 40ish.
I run a lot of miles when only training for a marathon - I just love running.

When I trained for the Goofy a few years ago I topped out at 70 miles/week and had absolutely no pain or discomfort after the races were run. In other words, my training is harder than the race. It allows me to enjoy these races and the trips. But I am getting older, so ramping back.

For myself - I cannot imagine running the Dopey without having run at least 49 miles in a week before the races since that is the total for those races in 4 consecutive days.

So how's everyone's Dopey training going? DH was all excited today. He ran a nearly Dopey dress rehearsal-44 miles in 4 consecutive days. He says that now he fully understands why it's called "The Dopey Challenge", but more importantly, for the first time he feels confident that he can do it! But he couldn't do much after he finishes.

my training is no where near where it needs to be, but I think I won't have a problem keeping a 16min/mile pace.
Just did a 5K this past weekend and the weather was quite cool for Texas (mid 50s) so now that its getting cooler if we can avoid any more rain I should be able to get in several hours a week. I doubt it with the holidays coming, but it's a nice thought :p

So how's everyone's Dopey training going? DH was all excited today. He ran a nearly Dopey dress rehearsal-44 miles in 4 consecutive days. He says that now he fully understands why it's called "The Dopey Challenge", but more importantly, for the first time he feels confident that he can do it! But he couldn't do much after he finishes.
Training is going, I'm at about 40/44 miles for the week too but that's for 6 days of running, good for him getting that in in 4 days! I have a tight lower back& butt muscle pain but otherwise feeling pretty good. We're finally getting colder temps which sucks for training, we've been spoiled with mild temps so far. But the big thing is all 4 running 'costumes' are done, just need to finalize which for which race :)

Last edited:

Wow - he's as ready as ready can be!

I haven't done any significant back-to-back runs for a while due to prep for the upcoming Space Coast. I want to focus on getting a decent time (for me, at least).

Once that is over, I'll work in a couple of Dopey weekends (but not 44 miles, probably 30-35 miles) over the 6 weeks between Space Coast and Dopey. That should work for my purposes*.

* My purposes being 1) enjoy the parks with my wife 2) complete the challenge 3) be able to enjoy the rest of Sunday and Monday without being the "walking wounded"!

That's impressive. Congrats to him! This will be my third Dopey (trying to stay perfect). Training is going well. Oscillating between 53-63 miles/week until taper time. Really happy with where I'm at and hoping to break sub-7 hours for the Dopey Challenge. Tell him best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter