Official 2016 5th Anniversary Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

Checked Southwest this morning and saw my flights are down to $76 each way. hmmm book now or wait?

The good thing about Southwest is that you can book now and if they drop again they are SUPER about getting a credit issued- and easy too....

I get home from DW tomorrow after a very interesting w&d race. I cannot wait to start training (just low mile runs and lots of biking) and planning out the trip for this race!!

I get home from DW tomorrow after a very interesting w&d race. I cannot wait to start training (just low mile runs and lots of biking) and planning out the trip for this race!!
Luckily Anaheim's weather should be better.

Is it going to be a pain to stay off property here for the race? This is also going to be my first DL trip.

Is it going to be a pain to stay off property here for the race? This is also going to be my first DL trip.

Nope. A lot of people stay off property.
DL is much more compact than WDW - there are only 3 hotels on property, and there are many many hotels on the streets surrounding the park. Most people stay on Harbor or Katella. Disneyland has "good neighbor hotels," which you can book through Disney (and you get perks for booking) - most of those hotels are within walking distance, and there's also a shuttle (which you have to pay for, IIRC) for some of the hotels.
Basically, you've got a lot of options. Staying on-property is not as big of a thing at DL as it is at WDW.

Perfect! Thank you. I was just making sure I wasn't missing out by not staying on property. I'd rather save some $$ for another race.

Here's a good map of Disneyland and surrounding hotels. The corrals are (I think) on Disneyland Drive, in between the Grand Californian and Paradise Pier. At least they were last year:
AnaheimMap.gif

(source)

Has anyone noticed that they no longer have the sellout percentages on the runDisney page?
I noticed it for Tink first, but the percentages seem to not be there for all the race weekends. Interesting...

Has anyone noticed that they no longer have the sellout percentages on the runDisney page?
I noticed it for Tink first, but the percentages seem to not be there for all the race weekends. Interesting...
I didn't notice that! How weird...they may get complaints about that. At least with the percentages you could see when it got into 90%+ and know that it was really time to make a decision on whether or not to register. With this...it'll just be open one day and closed the next. :confused3

I didn't notice that! How weird...they may get complaints about that. At least with the percentages you could see when it got into 90%+ and know that it was really time to make a decision on whether or not to register. With this...it'll just be open one day and closed the next. :confused3

Exactly! I still can't let go of the idea of doing Tink, and I wanted to check the percentage to see if I had to make the decision ASAP or if I had a bit more time. Now I need to make the decision ASAP because I don't know how soon it will be taken away from me (although I think I remember the percentage getting over 90%, but I may be confusing it with the marathon, which finally sold out recently).
(I blame my father for all this ... he came home yesterday and told me that one of his students is running the Avengers Half Marathon this weekend, so now I really want to do a DL race ASAP).

Exactly! I still can't let go of the idea of doing Tink, and I wanted to check the percentage to see if I had to make the decision ASAP or if I had a bit more time. Now I need to make the decision ASAP because I don't know how soon it will be taken away from me (although I think I remember the percentage getting over 90%, but I may be confusing it with the marathon, which finally sold out recently).
(I blame my father for all this ... he came home yesterday and told me that one of his students is running the Avengers Half Marathon this weekend, so now I really want to do a DL race ASAP).
I figured that's why you were looking...:)

Yeah, we haven't been keeping very good track of the percentages here, have we? Last I saw it was in the high 60s at the end of September, but I'm not sure what it has done since then. :confused3 Maybe it's just some weird website quirk and they'll pop back up, but I'm less inclined to believe that since it's happening for all of the races...

Thank you soooo much @Ariel484 !!! I'll be using that later while planning and pricing when I get home.

Ugh I thought that was just the version on my phone. I wanted to see the percent for the Darkside half.

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor for DLH. It was great for the price and worked well for our traveling party. The walk wasn't bad (but it got to be kind of a beating come day 5 and 6 in Anaheim). I would stay there again, no question.

Luckily Anaheim's weather should be better.

At least it shouldn't get postponed or shortened due to rain! I'm hoping for weather similar to this years again. It was practically perfect. Last year Mother's Day was brutally hot though. Very random weather May tends to get, but at least it shouldn't be anything to effect race day!

I figured that's why you were looking...:)

Yeah, we haven't been keeping very good track of the percentages here, have we? Last I saw it was in the high 60s at the end of September, but I'm not sure what it has done since then. :confused3 Maybe it's just some weird website quirk and they'll pop back up, but I'm less inclined to believe that since it's happening for all of the races...
When I registered a week or two ago it was at 70%. I'll miss checking the percentages, even for races I didn't really plan on, it was fun knowing when they were selling out.

I THINK it was at 70% a week or two ago when I last looked. I'm positive it was not at 90% yet.

At least it shouldn't get postponed or shortened due to rain! I'm hoping for weather similar to this years again. It was practically perfect. Last year Mother's Day was brutally hot though. Very random weather May tends to get, but at least it shouldn't be anything to effect race day!

How was the humidity? Hot isn't fun. But hot and humid really sucks!

Thank you soooo much @Ariel484 !!! I'll be using that later while planning and pricing when I get home.

Ugh I thought that was just the version on my phone. I wanted to see the percent for the Darkside half.

Yes. Ditto what everyone else here said. I'd highly recommend staying at one of the motels on Harbor or Katella that are walking distance to the parks. I personally prefer to avoid the shuttles. For race weekends I've only stayed onsite at Paradise Pier hotel and offsite at Hojo's. (Hojo's offers a discount to runners if you call them directly) I'd recommend both, but Hojo's for sure to save money. Last year for Avengers our room had a view of the fireworks which was great cause I was always back at the room by that time. For Star Wars weekend we're trying Best Western Stovalls for the first time which I'm excited about. For Tink I have reservations at BW Stovalls and BW Raffles inn. I'll decide closer to race time if I'd rather save money and walk further or pay more and be closer to the corrals. I'd recommend booking now and cancelling later. Some places are already selling out.

Finally home from DW and my W&D adventure. Now I need some new running tights and yak trax for outside winter training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter