• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

DH and are bummed. We really wanted to do this at some point. :sad1:
Same here! Never signed up because my husband was coaching tennis every year. Of course this year there is no team, thus no coaching job...but by the time we knew that for sure it was way too late to sign up, especially considering registration filled on day 1. And at the time I didn't want to risk signing us up and then being out that money if he DID in fact coach this year...

I guess it just wasn't meant to be! :(

Maybe an "Amazing Race" type event similar to Everest but great nonetheless would be fun.

Good to see airfares finally coming down....for those of you that waited to book flights, hopefully your savings will lead to more $$$ to spend at the expo, DL, or Dole Whips!

Anyone who has been to DL, any food suggestions? In or within walking distance around the parks?

Anyone who has been to DL, any food suggestions? In or within walking distance around the parks?

When I went last summer, I didn't bother with table service (and, honestly, there are really only a small handful of TS restaurants) - there were so many great CS choices! Like, you will seriously have to hunt out a cheeseburger or chicken strips.

In no particular order - these are the things I tried and loved ... that said, I wouldn't recommend trying all these things solo! I had a lot of food left over, but I wanted to try so many different things. :crazy2:

Dole Whip (Duh)
Fried Green Tomato Sandwich - Hungry Bear Restaurant (DL)
Outback and Bengal Beef Skewers - Bengal Barbecue (DL)
Shrimp Po'Boy - French Market Restaurant (DL)
Grilled Cheese & Soup (Jolly Holiday Combo) with a Practically Perfect Punch - Jolly Holiday Restaurant (DL)
Lobster Roll - Harbour Gallery Restaurant (DL)
Cala-Rita Flatbread & Lobster Rolls - Carthay Circle Lounge (DCA)
Cheese on a Stick - Corn Dog Castle (DCA)
Tri-Tip Sliders - Cove Bar (DCA)
Meat & Cheese Plate - Sonoma Tasting Terrace (DCA)

Things like the Fried Chicken at the Plaza Inn, the BBQ meal at Big Thunder Ranch and the home-cooking from Flo's in CarsLand get great reviews over on the DL board - but I wanted to try stuff that I can't/don't normally.

Also, I skipped (and probably will again) Blue Bayou, though lots of people love it. I just go to New Orleans so much, I don't think the food there will ever be on par with a meal I can when I'm in NOLA.

I think we're planning pre-race dinner at Wine Country Trattoria, but that could always change!

When I went last summer, I didn't bother with table service (and, honestly, there are really only a small handful of TS restaurants) - there were so many great CS choices! Like, you will seriously have to hunt out a cheeseburger or chicken strips.

In no particular order - these are the things I tried and loved ... that said, I wouldn't recommend trying all these things solo! I had a lot of food left over, but I wanted to try so many different things. :crazy2:

Dole Whip (Duh)
Fried Green Tomato Sandwich - Hungry Bear Restaurant (DL)
Outback and Bengal Beef Skewers - Bengal Barbecue (DL)
Shrimp Po'Boy - French Market Restaurant (DL)
Grilled Cheese & Soup (Jolly Holiday Combo) with a Practically Perfect Punch - Jolly Holiday Restaurant (DL)
Lobster Roll - Harbour Gallery Restaurant (DL)
Cala-Rita Flatbread & Lobster Rolls - Carthay Circle Lounge (DCA)
Cheese on a Stick - Corn Dog Castle (DCA)
Tri-Tip Sliders - Cove Bar (DCA)
Meat & Cheese Plate - Sonoma Tasting Terrace (DCA)

Things like the Fried Chicken at the Plaza Inn, the BBQ meal at Big Thunder Ranch and the home-cooking from Flo's in CarsLand get great reviews over on the DL board - but I wanted to try stuff that I can't/don't normally.

Also, I skipped (and probably will again) Blue Bayou, though lots of people love it. I just go to New Orleans so much, I don't think the food there will ever be on par with a meal I can when I'm in NOLA.

I think we're planning pre-race dinner at Wine Country Trattoria, but that could always change!

This is exactly the kinds of things I am looking for. I'm with you on Blue Bayou...we've been to NOLA several times, so I think we will pass on that.

I really want that Fried Green Tomato sandwich like right now. YUM!

I've read good things about Marri's Pizza and Pasta on Katella Ave...considering that for our pre-race meal.

This is exactly the kinds of things I am looking for. I'm with you on Blue Bayou...we've been to NOLA several times, so I think we will pass on that.

I really want that Fried Green Tomato sandwich like right now. YUM!

I've read good things about Marri's Pizza and Pasta on Katella Ave...considering that for our pre-race meal.

It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

What I really liked about the choices at the CS/QS in DLR was the number of "fresh" items - salads, grilled meats or vegetables, etc. And you'll be hard-pressed to find a place to eat (other than BB & Carthay) that has indoor seating. That's another thing I loved! I just love to be outside.

And I haven't even started listing out where to find the best beers yet ... ;)

What I can remember from last year was that I enjoyed

Wine Country Trattoria was very good and was my post 1/2 celebration meal
Naples - Quattro Formaggi pizza was great
Rancho del Zocalo
Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta
Carnation Cafe for breakfast

Storytellers breakfast buffet was alright

Cafe Orleans wasn't great but I think that's because I expected the Three Cheese Monte Cristo to be better.
Lucky Fortune Cookery was not good. Tofu was terrible.

Looking forward to trying some new things this year. Being solo and vegetarian limited my options. I've since started eating chicken occasionally(I know, weird) so that will open up some options.

Thanks for the list, Keels. We will have to hunt out some non park meals on Friday and Saturday. Speaking of non park things..... Read about Balboa Island online. Thought we would head there on Saturday. Any thoughts from those who have been there or heard things??

Officially jumping on the band wagon of "why in the world hasn't rD posted the training plans yet?!?!" It can't be that hard to revise the dates, so I'm guessing it's just taking them a long time to come up with a theme? That's really the main reason I'm anxious to see the plans released.

I think this is the last year they are doing it. :(

Oh bummer! That and TOT were top of my list to do and they've both been canned! It will be a long time before I can do another one, so I'm sure they'll come up with something else awesome in the meantime.

I agree with CS being great at DLR!

At DL we like:
* Bengal BBQ
* Hungry Bear (sandwiches and sweet potato fries)
* Blue Bayou for atmosphere only (the food was not bad, but not worth the price)
* Coke Corner for snacks and drinks while watching the pianist/character interactions

At DCA we like:
* Ribs at Flo's - outside overlooking RSR
* Carthay for something special - we did the WOC lunch

At DTD we like:
* Tortilla Jo's for carb loading before the run - we find it's not as heavy as pasta and not as greasy as pizza
* LaBrea Café
* Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
* Earl of Sandwich is good for something cheap-ish and simple

We also enjoyed Trader Sam's for the novelty factor, and Storyteller's Café for a fairly laid back character breakfast (I love Chip and Dale and Brother Bear though - the characters can be a little obscure for some).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter