Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

I'm trying something new this year: the Hanson Brothers plan. It's 6 days a week, but the long runs cap out at 16 miles. The idea is that cumulative fatigue makes up for the shorter long run. They say they are duplicating the last 16 miles of the marathon rather than the first.

It's quite a change for me since I was previously using the 3-day a week Furman Institute of Running plan.

I'm in the 7th week and so-far-so-good. It's an 18 week plan. I get a 2-for on my training: Rocket City in December and the Goofy in January.

Most (not all) runners should have a nice even wear pattern in the center of the toe box area. If the wear area is off center then either you are over correcting yourself when you run which could be your shoes or you pronate in or out which can be corrected with a different shoe. The people at your running store should be able to identify the problem.

Well you learn something new every day. Now I'm going to data mine my worn out pair of running shoes I was planning to toss out. Excellent timing. Thanks.

I was an Adrenaline wearer for years because of a pronation problem. But I too lost some weight and the wear areas on the bottom of my shoes changed. I started getting pain where previously I had none. The Adrenaline does provide a ton of arch support so it could be you actually don't need as much now. Last year I switched to the Revena. Similar style to the Adrenaline but with just a bit less arch support and my pains went away. Might be worth checking with your running store. Take in an old worn pair and see.

Most (not all) runners should have a nice even wear pattern in the center of the toe box area. If the wear area is off center then either you are over correcting yourself when you run which could be your shoes or you pronate in or out which can be corrected with a different shoe. The people at your running store should be able to identify the problem.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 my old pair have the nice even wear right in the middle, and my new ones aren't worn enough to really be able to tell. there is definitely more wear in the middle area then on the sides but it's still a little too faint to see well. i did notice while running yesterday that it does seem that my right leg (the one i had problems with) didn't seem aligned right, if that makes sense. i felt like it was pointed out instead of forward more than usual, and wonder if maybe i just need to get back into going to the chiro more frequently again.

I'm trying something new this year: the Hanson Brothers plan. It's 6 days a week, but the long runs cap out at 16 miles. The idea is that cumulative fatigue makes up for the shorter long run. They say they are duplicating the last 16 miles of the marathon rather than the first. It's quite a change for me since I was previously using the 3-day a week Furman Institute of Running plan. I'm in the 7th week and so-far-so-good. It's an 18 week plan. I get a 2-for on my training: Rocket City in December and the Goofy in January.

Interesting! I'm going to have to check that out. I was doing the run less run faster/Furman plan too, but then I got hurt. So I'm skeptical of running less, at least for me.

I'm trying something new this year: the Hanson Brothers plan. It's 6 days a week, but the long runs cap out at 16 miles. The idea is that cumulative fatigue makes up for the shorter long run. They say they are duplicating the last 16 miles of the marathon rather than the first. It's quite a change for me since I was previously using the 3-day a week Furman Institute of Running plan. I'm in the 7th week and so-far-so-good. It's an 18 week plan. I get a 2-for on my training: Rocket City in December and the Goofy in January.
My coach follows plans with a similar philosophy. It's about quality over quantity, with really high intensity. Most of my long runs are done as intervals that get faster as the run progresses.

I'm trying something new this year: the Hanson Brothers plan. It's 6 days a week, but the long runs cap out at 16 miles. The idea is that cumulative fatigue makes up for the shorter long run. They say they are duplicating the last 16 miles of the marathon rather than the first.

I read "Hanson Brothers" and immediately thought of the guys from the movie 'Slap Shot'. Their plan would be to run around and get into fights. I don't think that will necessary...unless I run the Detroit Marathon again. ;)

I read "Hanson Brothers" and immediately thought of the guys from the movie 'Slap Shot'. Their plan would be to run around and get into fights. I don't think that will necessary...unless I run the Detroit Marathon again. ;)

I LOVE that movie!!

I'm a Galloway run/walker, so I typically follow his plans. For marathon distance, he will build up mileage about every 3-4 weeks on the long runs. He jumps that distance anywhere from 2-3 miles. So, long run schedule might be 13-7-7-15-7-8-17-7-8-8-20 for example. The base long runs are usually 7-8 miles in between. Galloway is the only plan that I know of that calls for an actual 26 mile training run. I really think that is unneccesary and for my two marathons my longest run before was 20-21 miles.

I noticed this about Galloway's also. Most of the plans as well as a lot of seasoned marathoners have suggested at least 2 or more 20+ mile long runs. 20 miles is about the human body's natural limit in terms of bodily stores.

This is interesting. I'm currently experimenting with not being so hard on myself when training for my second marathon. I was pretty adamant that I do every distance to a T when I trained for my first, and I ended up with shin splints, plantar fasciitis, and am still recovering from an IT band injury that flared up a couple of months after the race. I went out for my first "long" run on Saturday and stopped 1 mile short of my goal because I could feel my IT band getting uncomfortable. Last time I probably would have pushed through, but I am getting better at listening to my body and running for myself, not what's down on a piece of paper.

So I'm curious - besides the fact that everybody is different and trains at different paces, what does everyone do for long runs while training for 26.2? Do you do at least one long run each week, and if so, what is the minimum length of that "long" run? Does anyone alternate a long run week with a mid distance the week after? Most of the training plans I've seen have 16-18 weeks of long runs continuously building up to 18-22 miles toward the end of the plan (right before taper) and I'm wondering how necessary this is going to be, at least for me this time around.

For me since I'm working up to my first time running a marathon vs going Galloway like I did on previous races. The main key is building up not only running endurance that I can hold but my goal race pace. However that doesn't mean I'm not going to pull up early on a run if it looks like I have the beginning of an injury. Which is exactly what I had to do on a 10 miler yesterday when I realized what I first thought was a cramping hamstring was a pulled muscle (thankfully minor and should be back at it by weekend).

I have a trainer as part of a running group (who I swear has been a godsend). So I'm not the one who sets my distances he does based on my goals and my own races. And about 90 percent of the time I don't know until the Sunday of that week what I'll be running that week. Though right now he is just increasing my long runs (went from 8 to 10 on planning) and not alternating to a shorter runs but then again I just moved to marathon training a few weeks back.

For me the longest distance training runs are the key to getting me through my race. I'm just moving out of the Galloway method and into full running so the less of a leap I'm making from longest training run to race distance. The easier the race is physically and mentally. Probably this will be less of an issue in the next year or so. But right now for me these big long training runs are key to getting me through a race (and why I was frustrated over the pulled hamstring yesterday). But that's me so I don't know what you would do seeing as you've done other marathons (I've done fulls just never ran the entire distance before).

i did notice while running yesterday that it does seem that my right leg (the one i had problems with) didn't seem aligned right, if that makes sense. i felt like it was pointed out instead of forward more than usual, and wonder if maybe i just need to get back into going to the chiro more frequently again.

It makes perfect sense.

I wouldn't still be running if it weren't for chiropractic. I keep trying to get him to go to Disney with me for rundisney events, but he insists I would have to pay all his expenses as well as his wife and kids. Now, they aren't Disney people, so I wouldn't have to pay for tickets, but still, those are some expensive adjustments just in flights alone!

I read "Hanson Brothers" and immediately thought of the guys from the movie 'Slap Shot'.

And thought "mmmmBop", LOL.

It makes perfect sense.

I wouldn't still be running if it weren't for chiropractic. I keep trying to get him to go to Disney with me for rundisney events, but he insists I would have to pay all his expenses as well as his wife and kids. Now, they aren't Disney people, so I wouldn't have to pay for tickets, but still, those are some expensive adjustments just in flights alone!

:laughing:

Early last year, I was having the problem of one of my feet (the right one I think?) going totally numb between miles 2 and 3. It would stay that way for about a mile, and eventually go back to normal. It was never pins&needles feeling so it wasn't a circulation issue and after doing some internet searching, I saw a lot of people recommend going to a chiro. I did, and after a pretty aggressive treatment plan for a lower back disc issue (3x a wk for a month, 2x a week for 2 months, then once a week for 2 months), it went away and hasn't come back so far. Unfortunately, going that frequently was really expensive as I have to pay a co-pay for each visit. I haven't gone back for an alignment in a while, and probably should. The world is totally different after getting an alignment for the first time, LOL.

Question for ChEAR Squad people. My DW is not running the Full but I am, and had the ChEAR Squad Platinum package. She'll be at the castle to cheer me on.

And she wants to be at the Finish line to cheer there as well. My expected finish time is 06:15:00 according to Disney. Is it possible for her to get to Animal Kingdom to give me energy chews, etc. and still make it back to the finish line or should I expect to carry all my fuel from the start?

We were unsure of how closed off the course becomes to Disney Transportation as we will not have a car this trip. I should hit AK about 8:30ish.

Question for ChEAR Squad people. My DW is not running the Full but I am, and had the ChEAR Squad Platinum package. She'll be at the castle to cheer me on.

And she wants to be at the Finish line to cheer there as well. My expected finish time is 06:15:00 according to Disney. Is it possible for her to get to Animal Kingdom to give me energy chews, etc. and still make it back to the finish line or should I expect to carry all my fuel from the start?

We were unsure of how closed off the course becomes to Disney Transportation as we will not have a car this trip. I should hit AK about 8:30ish.

I would think your wife meeting you at AK then being back at the finish line is more than feasible.

My marathon time is slightly less and my wife meets me at the baseball stadium in WWoS and still makes it back to Epcot in time to meet me at the finish.

I would venture to say the transportation from AK to Epcot is more regular than WWoS to Epcot. So, couple that with my wife meeting me later in the course than what you and your wife are planning, I think your wife will be able to meet you in time to finish at Epcot.

That's what I thought! haha. Taylor Hanson was my first love :love:
Me too! :lovestruc I hear they (Hanson) brew beer now and just debuted their Pale Ale MMMHops at Food & Wine yesterday. Unfortunately it sounds like it was a 1-day thing...I was hoping to try it next month. Boo. :(

I think it's possible, but personally (and this is probably just me being anal/paranoid) I wouldn't depend on someone to bring my fuel for me...even my husband, who I trust and love very much. :lovestruc You just never know what could happen with the buses or whatever...

Are Christmas decorations still typically up for Marathon weekend? I feel like I've seen pictures before where they are, but now I can't really remember.

Are Christmas decorations still typically up for Marathon weekend? I feel like I've seen pictures before where they are, but now I can't really remember.

All the castle lights were still up and on this year during the marathon. Of course the later the corral you are in, the more chance that it will be getting light by the time you get to the castle.

I remember reading "somewhere" that RunDisney offered food stops along the half marathon and full marathon. What do they offer? I evenly ran a half marathon and water/Gatorade we are the only offerings.

I remember reading "somewhere" that RunDisney offered food stops along the half marathon and full marathon. What do they offer? I evenly ran a half marathon and water/Gatorade we are the only offerings.

The full marathon food and drink stops consist of Bananas at mm 11.5 and 18.3,Clif gels at 15.4 and 19.4,candy at 22.5 and freezing sponges or towels at 17.1.And of course 21 water and Powerade stops.This is from 2014 but expect the same.After the race you will get a pre-packaged box with items like crackers,spreadable cheese or hummus,trail mix,protein bar,granola,a chocolate or other candy item and another banana and a bottle of water and powerade.I believe the half marathon has one food stop(probably bananas) along with 9 water/powerade stops and the food box at the end will be the same.I've only done the Disney full until I do Goofy in January but looking at the course map for the half that's what it shows

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter