OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

new pain question--anyone know what this is?

On Wednesday I noticed that I was having slight calf pain in my right leg. Not that noticeable and I didn't really think much about it. So I ran 8 miles on Thursday as planned. No pain during the run. But on Friday it started bothering me. I can really pinpoint what it is. It feel like when I put pressure anywhere on my foot (step with my heel, step on my tiptoes, step of the front of my foot), it sends a slight shooting pain (up what feels like my leg bone). At first it was just up to my knee. I thought maybe it was just tight calves so I've been using the trigger point therapy ball to massage the heck out of my legs and been wearing compression sleeves. I decided to skip my run on Saturday. I feel like a slacker, but I keep telling myself that it's only a 12 miler and better to rest now. But today the pain is shooting all the way to my hip. Anytime I go up a step or put pressure on it a certain way. Its not a stabbing pain or throbbing pain. Nothing extreme like my knee or heel pain or my shin splints were when I had them last year. But it's there and its bugging me and I don't know if its something to run through or to rest.

Any ideas?

Ventured out in the snow to do 10. Was supposed to do 12 but didn't have the time. So much better than the treadmill. Learned to not run under tree limbs. Had ice failing on my noggin. Other than that no issues. 20 next weekend then all downhill from there, taper here I come ;-)

Managed to get 26k done in snow that was a foot deep in places this morning. Found a snow plow to follow, which helped, but man - running the snow works some muscles that running on bare pavement does not!

...still better than indoors, IMHO :). I am very impressed by you all doing your long runs on treadmills!

I have a male bib that I am looking to sell/transfer and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go about transferring the bib without me actually being down in Disney. If anyone has experience in this, please share! Thank you so much!

Managed to get 26k done in snow that was a foot deep in places this morning. Found a snow plow to follow, which helped, but man - running the snow works some muscles that running on bare pavement does not!

...still better than indoors, IMHO :). I am very impressed by you all doing your long runs on treadmills!

My wife and I ran 12 miles a few days ago in the snow and she really has some IT Band pain now. Be careful out there.

I have a male bib that I am looking to sell/transfer and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go about transferring the bib without me actually being down in Disney. If anyone has experience in this, please share! Thank you so much!

It's against Disney policy to transfer/sell a bib.

I broke down and got a gym membership for December/beg. of January. It is at an old YMCA building and has an indoor track(8 laps=1mile). I HATE HATE HATE running in the cold, so kudos and respect to you.

I am not a giant fan of running in circles, but the room seems to be kept at a constant 55-60 degrees. It is a perfect running temp for me.

An indoor track might tempt me, but the one we have nearby is pretty small...I am hoping for a thaw this week to at least get the paths and roads down to bare pavement for my last long run!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of your thoughts/ideas/suggestions about running:) During my training, I have been inspired by all of you!

This WDW marathon will be my FIRST one....I'm pretty nervous!! This weekend, I have my 20 miler....I've got my fingers crossed that it will go well. Living in northern Wisconsin means I MAY have to be on the treadmill....NOOOOOO! Here' hoping for good weather:)

Thanks again, and good luck to all of you!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of your thoughts/ideas/suggestions about running:) During my training, I have been inspired by all of you!

This WDW marathon will be my FIRST one....I'm pretty nervous!! This weekend, I have my 20 miler....I've got my fingers crossed that it will go well. Living in northern Wisconsin means I MAY have to be on the treadmill....NOOOOOO! Here' hoping for good weather:)

My friend is doing her first full marathon this January (she is signed up for the Goofy) and she lives in Wisconsin. She tells about how cold it is there! My goodness...so she HAS to do the treadmill.
Get yourself some awesome show to watch or dvd collection and keep thinking of how much fun you will have in the race. I did 23.2 miles on the treadmill this Sunday..the longest I have ever done on a treadmill EVER. I was fine because I was watching the Real Housewives on dvd...it kept me going until the dvd's ran out and I decided to make it a 23.2, 3 miles under a full. I did have to get off a few times and stretch...

I am in the same boat, although the weather should be a little better here in NJ for my 20 miler. I can't believe I am about to run my first marathon! I feel like the last 6 months of training flew by and I never thought I would see myself running this far.

If anyone following this thread is in or near Massachusetts, there is an indoor event at the DCU Center in Worcester on December 28th. It is called Arena Attack. I signed up for the half marathon since I am scheduled to run 12 miles that day anyway. Flat and indoors beats running in the cold and snow. :thumbsup2

Like some others, I have to run my 20 miler this weekend also. I will definitely be running outside. I don't have the mental toughness to run 20 miles on a treadmill. Just my 5 mile runs on a treadmill are torture for me. This past Saturday I ran 12 miles outside and the temps were in the single digits. My water froze on me, but it was still better than being stuck on a treadmill for 2 hours.

Much respect for anyone who can do anything on a treadmill for more than an hour! 20 miles this weekend outside, Montreal weather co-operating or not! Let's get 'er done!

If anyone following this thread is in or near Massachusetts, there is an indoor event at the DCU Center in Worcester on December 28th. It is called Arena Attack. I signed up for the half marathon since I am scheduled to run 12 miles that day anyway. Flat and indoors beats running in the cold and snow. :thumbsup2

Like some others, I have to run my 20 miler this weekend also. I will definitely be running outside. I don't have the mental toughness to run 20 miles on a treadmill. Just my 5 mile runs on a treadmill are torture for me. This past Saturday I ran 12 miles outside and the temps were in the single digits. My water froze on me, but it was still better than being stuck on a treadmill for 2 hours.

Just looked at the website for this and I am intrigued! Have you done this event before? Do you run on a track? I might consider the half as well, since I am getting real tired of the freezing cold and could use some "warmer climate" training.

Much respect for anyone who can do anything on a treadmill for more than an hour! 20 miles this weekend outside, Montreal weather co-operating or not! Let's get 'er done!

:thumbsup2 I like that attitude!

I have 10 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday planning, but we have SO MUCH SNOW HERE. I was planning on doing it outside, but 45 minutes of walking in the snow this morning (pushing a stroller with a 3 year old in it, and with a 25 lb toddler on my back...) has given me some worrying knee pain.

Oh, I am really hoping that I don't have to do 30 miles on the treadmill this weekend!!!!!

Just looked at the website for this and I am intrigued! Have you done this event before? Do you run on a track? I might consider the half as well, since I am getting real tired of the freezing cold and could use some "warmer climate" training.

No, I have never done this event before. This may be the first one at the DCU Center but I not 100% sure. I originally thought it was run around the concourse, where the concessions would be (if that makes sense?). But after looking at the floorplan map, it looks like it may just be a large oval around the main floor. All I know is that it is 78 laps (about 0.168 miles per lap).

There are actually 2 half marathons being run that day.
#1 - has a 2 hour time cap
#2 - has a 3 hour 15 min time cap

I signed up for #2 and yesterday when I looked there were still 11 entries remaining. Now it shows that #2 is SOLD OUT.

The program is now online, and page 7 on the PDF files shows "runners will be prohibited from accessing the start corrals from Bonnet Creek Parkway or Buena Vista Drive." I'm not surprised but am happy Disney got the word out early.

The program is now online, and page 7 on the PDF files shows "runners will be prohibited from accessing the start corrals from Bonnet Creek Parkway or Buena Vista Drive." I'm not surprised but am happy Disney got the word out early.

Definitely good to know, and I am glad RunDisney put this in writing so that there is no confusion.

We are staying at Port Orleans, and it would have been much closer and quicker to walk to our corral from there as opposed to the 20 minute walk from the Epcot parking lots.

Oh well, I understand that this is probably for safety and security reasons, so DW and I will follow the rules.

20 miles down here in Houston this weekend! I think we've had all of the types of weather this training season...rain, chilly drizzle, cold (32* is cold for us!), and it scheduled to be in the 60s Saturday morning with more rain possible. Whatever weather Disney brings us, we will be ready! Bless all of you doing these long runs on a treadmill...I've done 1 five miler this fall and that was enough for me!:cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter