OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

I am a total Honey Stinger addict. :thumbsup2 They're not too sweet which I find with the GU and I can't do gels. That texture makes me :crazy2:. :lmao: Love the lemon-lime one too with the caffeine! :thumbsup2

I actually just started a Whole30 challenge 12 days ago. I am not allowed to eat any of the the typical running fuel due to the in ingredients not being Whole30 compliant. I did some research on endurance training during a Whole30 and ended up buying one of those baby food pouches containing only organic sweet potatoes and water. I had to run 12 miles this morning and I was a little concerned how it would go down, but it actually worked out pretty good. I also tried a 50/50 mix of water / coconut water in my water bottles. I probably should have tried it before just mixing it in and heading out. I discovered that I really don't care for coconut water. :crazy2:

I have a Garmin 410 that is giving me problems. I'm thinking about replacing it but wanted advice. I've read on FB that not all Garmins can last for a whole marathon. Any experienced advice? I'm a slower runner expecting a 13 to 13:15 pace for the full and need my garmin for average pace and intervals. Thanks

I have a Garmin 410 that is giving me problems. I'm thinking about replacing it but wanted advice. I've read on FB that not all Garmins can last for a whole marathon. Any experienced advice? I'm a slower runner expecting a 13 to 13:15 pace for the full and need my garmin for average pace and intervals. Thanks

My Garmin 610 lasted for the full marathon this January, and with the extreme heat and humidity, my pace was slower than your expected pace. I didn't have TONS of battery left, but plenty to make it through a nearly 7 hour marathon with stops at 95% of the characters and lots of walking during the last miles and lots of congested places.

Thank you for the advice. What sort of breakfast/pre-race food do you suggest?

It is more about what you train with and how far in advance of your run you make it.

I try to consume about 250-500 Kcal depending on the distance and amount of time between the meal and run. Example, a 10 mile training run will have me munching on a Cliff Bar about 30 minutes pre-run... Note I do deviate from the posted schedule if I consume something that late and not eat a gel at the start.

If it is race day and I am eating 3 hours pre-race, it will be higher in Kcal and possibly contain just a little more good fats. Something like a bagel with PB, a banana and a glass of OJ. I will consume a gel at the start of a race...

The best thing one can do is try to practice a few times pre-race. It's often hard to have a larger breakfast then hit a training run. Think carby foods that offer a little comfort.

One other thing, thinking of breakfast. I will have a couple strong cups of coffee, especially pre-race. This to wake the GI system in an effort to avoid the porta potties.

My Garmin 610 lasted for the full marathon this January, and with the extreme heat and humidity, my pace was slower than your expected pace. I didn't have TONS of battery left, but plenty to make it through a nearly 7 hour marathon with stops at 95% of the characters and lots of walking during the last miles and lots of congested places.

I think some of the lower end Forerunners lack battery power. The 610; the model that comes from the 410 will last 8-9 hours. If you liked your 410, the 610 is the current version.

I actually just started a Whole30 challenge 12 days ago. I am not allowed to eat any of the the typical running fuel due to the in ingredients not being Whole30 compliant. I did some research on endurance training during a Whole30 and ended up buying one of those baby food pouches containing only organic sweet potatoes and water. I had to run 12 miles this morning and I was a little concerned how it would go down, but it actually worked out pretty good. I also tried a 50/50 mix of water / coconut water in my water bottles. I probably should have tried it before just mixing it in and heading out. I discovered that I really don't care for coconut water. :crazy2:

I dislike coconut water, too.

That sweet potato thing would have made me NEED to use the bathroom in a scary way. I'm so glad it didn't do that to you. :)

This guy has really detailed reviews: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/about-me

They gave out warm coconut water at my run club the other day after our run,I took about 2 sips and threw it out,just don't like it at all.Usually they give water and Muscle Milk which I like.

:rotfl:

Sorry, run and coconut water in the same sentence gets flipped around into a different order in my world.

On with the show!

Have to admit that Sweet Potato's are my running fuel - any type - baked, as french fries....yum!

Also, call me crazy but.....beautiful weather and my running partner and I were in town for the same weekend for once, so we bumped up our 13mi (training for WDW Marathon) to this weekend. I had done the 11 miler early so was almost at the 2 week point anyway - my 9 & 11 milers went so well I was honestly waiting for the other foot to drop and it did - I ran out of energy around mile 8 and had to walk most of the way home. However, this is now my "low score" and know I can do better than that with no problem. Also reminded me that no matter how cool it is, hydration and fuel are very very important! Live, learn and run on!

Have to admit that Sweet Potato's are my running fuel - any type - baked, as french fries....yum!

Also, call me crazy but.....beautiful weather and my running partner and I were in town for the same weekend for once, so we bumped up our 13mi (training for WDW Marathon) to this weekend. I had done the 11 miler early so was almost at the 2 week point anyway - my 9 & 11 milers went so well I was honestly waiting for the other foot to drop and it did - I ran out of energy around mile 8 and had to walk most of the way home. However, this is now my "low score" and know I can do better than that with no problem. Also reminded me that no matter how cool it is, hydration and fuel are very very important! Live, learn and run on!

Good lessons learned. Now send some of that cool weather this way.

Good lessons learned. Now send some of that cool weather this way.

Send some cool weather to texas too please. Somehow forgot my food for my 12 miler this weekend. Totally bonked at mile 10. Will never forget again, and if I do I will turn around early.

Did my first official training run today on the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan. I'm a week late and just picked up on the workout for today. Ill follow it fairly closely moving around a few items based on races. I have been training for months now for some other runs and tri's but I'm now officially on my marathon training plan and will focus mostly on running with some biking and swimming here and there for events and cross training. Excited to see where I end up in January! And the fun part, my half marathon is in Las Vegas 11/14!!! Can't beat that Vegas in Nov and Disney in Jan!

Did my first official training run today on the Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 plan. I'm a week late and just picked up on the workout for today. Ill follow it fairly closely moving around a few items based on races. I have been training for months now for some other runs and tri's but I'm now officially on my marathon training plan and will focus mostly on running with some biking and swimming here and there for events and cross training. Excited to see where I end up in January! And the fun part, my half marathon is in Las Vegas 11/14!!! Can't beat that Vegas in Nov and Disney in Jan!

Let us know how that goes - the Las Vegas 1/2 is on my list for someday...

Okay I have to ask...is Steve a LEO?? I just ask because of the 10-19 code. :goodvibes

Anyone else see the new garmin 620? I can hardly wait till they hit the stores

I just delved into the world of GPS's with the Nike Sportwatch. Used it for the first time Saturday and LOVE it! :yay::love: I know it's a baby watch for all you hi-tech runners out there, but it works for those of us who, let's just say, tend to get into knock-down dragouts with certain technological advances...:headache:

Ugh. I did NOT enjoy the endless miles in WWoS... :headache:

I agree that it felt like you ran through every pathway in WWoS but I actually enjoyed having an extra venue to run through,especially after the long,boring straight shot on Osceola pkway after AK,I also like running through the baseball stadium.In the old route the only positive compared to the new one is running through Epcot before sunrise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter