OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

I've used the GU Chomps, and I like them a lot. I'll see if I can exchange the GU for Clif Shots... or maybe just get Clif shots too.

Hahaha. I was so good when I did goofy and brought all the foods I had trained with, but by mile 23 I was taking twizzlers and candy from random strangers and enjoying every bite : ) good times....

I know! I was SO happy to get candy corn (slightly stale) from a family along the route of my first marathon. Didn't care about taking candy from strangers or how it would affect my body or anything. They were awesome! :rotfl:

I usually use the Honey Stinger Chews (Cherry Blossom & Orange Blossom). I can also use the Cliff shot bloks, but I love the taste of the Honey Stingers.

I was already planning to bring my own gels and nuun, but now that I see how late they give these out, I definitely will! I've been eating 4 GU gummies (half a package) every 45 mins. I'm not sure it's necessary but it has no ill effects on me and I like having the snack to look forward too!

I was already planning to bring my own gels and nuun, but now that I see how late they give these out, I definitely will! I've been eating 4 GU gummies (half a package) every 45 mins. I'm not sure it's necessary but it has no ill effects on me and I like having the snack to look forward too!

I think it's always just safer to carry your own nutrition. You never know if they will run out of something before you get there, or how the Gatorade will be mixed, etc.

I think it's always just safer to carry your own nutrition. You never know if they will run out of something before you get there, or how the Gatorade will be mixed, etc.

I was glad I brought my own gels, since they had completely run out at the second Clif station during the full marathon by the time I reached it this year. Not a good thing to find out when you're in need of more fuel.

My favorite songs to run to are... the best is Sure Shot by the Beastie Boys, because you can't, you won't and you don't stop.

I also love Jump Jive and Wail by Brian Setzer, Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, Unbelievable by EMF because I like to tell myself "why, yes, I am so unbelievable aren't I?!" while I run, and Barbra Streisand's I'm the Greatest Star from Funny Girl because... 'cause I'm the greatest star. I am by far. But no one knows it!

The gels don't make a difference to me between the two brands, but I found out the hard way that I can't do the gummy-like GU Chomps, yet I'm fine with Clif Blocks. For some people it makes no difference at all, or it's just a taste preference... It's kind of fascinating how different we are. :confused3

It really is fascinating! My brother, who has run every day for years and years and is generally impervious to everything (if you imagine the bad guy in Terminator2, it works to imagine my brother running or working or doing anything related to living his life), has been brought down by two things. (one was a hernia)

The one that happened during a race was eating a gu he hadn't trained with that ended up interacting with his system very poorly. Nearly stopped him cold.

...Unbelievable by EMF because I like to tell myself "why, yes, I am so unbelievable aren't I?!" while I run, and Barbra Streisand's I'm the Greatest Star from Funny Girl because... 'cause I'm the greatest star. I am by far. But no one knows it!

:lmao::thumbsup2 Awesome!

I usually use the Honey Stinger Chews (Cherry Blossom & Orange Blossom). I can also use the Cliff shot bloks, but I love the taste of the Honey Stingers.

I am a total Honey Stinger addict. :thumbsup2 They're not too sweet which I find with the GU and I can't do gels. That texture makes me :crazy2:. :lmao: Love the lemon-lime one too with the caffeine! :thumbsup2

Unbelievable by EMF because I like to tell myself "why, yes, I am so unbelievable aren't I?!" while I run, and Barbra Streisand's I'm the Greatest Star from Funny Girl because... 'cause I'm the greatest star. I am by far. But no one knows it!

Trust me Duck, EVERYBODY knows!:rotfl: :woohoo: :dance3: That's why I like "I'm the World's Greatest"! :rotfl2: :lmao:

I'm a cheap person, especially when it comes to yoga, so I've used some of the videos the Yoga Journal has online (think low budget, I made this in my mom's basement quality videos)...
And on youtube, Lululemon put up a bunch of "running into yoga" type of videos that have some nice stretches.

I'm totally cheap when it comes to stuff like that too, so you're definitely not alone! Thanks!

I really like the Yoga Studio app for iPhone, and many cable companies have Yoga workouts On Demand as well.

I have a DVD by Gwen Lawrence, and I love the stretches she does for the legs and hips. Here's a good youtube video of her showing some of the stretches. They hurt, but I know they're doing a great job with my tight muscles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnbHvyxIqM

Awesome, thanks! :)

New topic: what's everyone's top five running songs? Who knows, we all may end up with some new motivational tunes!

In no particular order:
Best Day of My Life - American Authors
Shake It Out - Florence + The Machine - GREAT song for when you're struggling
I Love It - Icona Pop - (there's swearing in this song, just an FYI)
Titanium (feat. Sia) - David Guetta
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes

I like very poppy going-to-get-through-it music when I run. I have a VERY long playlist (I think it's over 4 hours right now) for the marathon, so I'm adding stuff all the time (I want to get it to about 7 hours so that I can hit shuffle and have enough music to cycle through if certain songs aren't "speaking" to me ;)). I have a text document of new songs to add, so a bunch that were listed above are now on there. Great idea!

The gels don't make a difference to me between the two brands, but I found out the hard way that I can't do the gummy-like GU Chomps, yet I'm fine with Clif Blocks. For some people it makes no difference at all, or it's just a taste preference... It's kind of fascinating how different we are. :confused3

Good to know - we tried the Clif Bloks and shots during our last run. DH loved the Bloks and hated the gel, I loved both. The store we were at didn't have the Honey Stingers, but since we're headed to MEC this weekend (Canadian version of REI) I wanted to pick some of those up.

Everybody really does react differently to things - on my last run, I realized that I'm reacting funny to the Nuun and I can't really drink it anymore. Thank goodness DH is fine with it, otherwise the box of tubes that I bought would have been just sitting there.

I've used the GU Chomps, and I like them a lot. I'll see if I can exchange the GU for Clif Shots... or maybe just get Clif shots too.

best bet is to pick up 2-3 shots in differing flavors and see how they sit on the run. There is a high percentage of folks who cannot stomach a shot.

For the newbies.... and those who aren't

We are ALL and experiment of ONE. Simply, what works for me may not work for you and even worse, what works today for me, may not work next month when temperatures fall, I am a little fitter, my tastes change or the cast iron lining in the intestine cracks. Also, what works well in the kitchen when no one is looking may cause a quick end to the run…

All the above is true for gels, beans, bears, bars, etc. The worst thing that a runner can do is purchase more than a month’s supply of sport nutrition. First the shelf life for many products is short because of a lack of preservatives. The packaging is also generally thin. Ever reach into a box of gels and come back with a sticky mess? And then comes the change of tastes.

How does one fuel on the run?

First, read the package direction. Most will direct you to a 30-60 minute interval with 45 minutes being the typical time between fueling.

Here is what I suggest is a good starting point and gives you a little direction on where to go after you start…. First, I assume that you are taking in a pre-race breakfast that is rather bland, light and carby.
- For any run expected to last less than 90 minutes or so, leave the running fuel alone. You are actually causing the body to not make a critical adaptation to fat fuel if you charge your blood stream with the hot burning and easily used sugar based fuel.
- Take on all fuel while on the run with a sip/splash of water. Forgo sport drink when fueling as the electrolytes in the drink can create GI issues.
- Within 30 minutes pre-run, take on some fuel. This is usually a gel, a pack of beans or blocks (look to see what a 100-120 Kcal dose is – that is what the body will be looking for in the way of fueling).
- About 45 minutes into a run, take on some fuel – again the 100-120 Kcal dose. I find that it is easier in a race if you have your fuel ripped open as you approach, gab a cup of water, take a small sip, fuel then chase the fuel with the remainder of the cup.
- Repeat the fueling about every 45 minutes through the race. If you are within 30 minutes of the end of the race, forgo the fuel as it really will not be effective.
- Practice lengthening or shortening the time between fueling, depending on how you feel and/or react. The period is generally between 30/40 minutes on the short side and longer. There are five hour marathon runners who take on nothing in a race.
- Understand that the body is generally limited to 220-250 Kcal per hour uptake. This includes sport drink. The GI tract is normally shunted during a run. Water, drink and fuel will pull liquid from elsewhere in the body to process these substances.
- If one overloads the stomach beyond its ability to pass through water and fuel, it can shut in. Your clue to back off inputs of water and fuel is if you hear or feel a sloshing in the belly. If this occurs, do not drink or eat anything for a bit so that the stomach can catch up. You may be forced to a walk as this resetting occurs.
As a first time marathoner, try many brands, flavors and types of fuel. There is a solution to your running fuel needs. I have a runner who bakes his own fuel and does well with it. Funny, it is one of the things that I cannot stomach on the run.

I hope this primer helps.

We are ALL and experiment of ONE. Simply, what works for me may not work for you and even worse, what works today for me, may not work next month when temperatures fall, I am a little fitter, my tastes change or the cast iron lining in the intestine cracks. Also, what works well in the kitchen when no one is looking may cause a quick end to the run…

All the above is true for gels, beans, bears, bars, etc. The worst thing that a runner can do is purchase more than a month’s supply of sport nutrition. First the shelf life for many products is short because of a lack of preservatives. The packaging is also generally thin. Ever reach into a box of gels and come back with a sticky mess? And then comes the change of tastes.

First, read the package direction. Most will direct you to a 30-60 minute interval with 45 minutes being the typical time between fueling.

Here is what I suggest is a good starting point and gives you a little direction on where to go after you start…. First, I assume that you are taking in a pre-race breakfast that is rather bland, light and carby.
- For any run expected to last less than 90 minutes or so, leave the running fuel alone. You are actually causing the body to not make a critical adaptation to fat fuel if you charge your blood stream with the hot burning and easily used sugar based fuel.
- Take on all fuel while on the run with a sip/splash of water. Forgo sport drink when fueling as the electrolytes in the drink can create GI issues.
- Within 30 minutes pre-run, take on some fuel. This is usually a gel, a pack of beans or blocks (look to see what a 100-120 Kcal dose is – that is what the body will be looking for in the way of fueling).
- About 45 minutes into a run, take on some fuel – again the 100-120 Kcal dose. I find that it is easier in a race if you have your fuel ripped open as you approach, gab a cup of water, take a small sip, fuel then chase the fuel with the remainder of the cup.
- Repeat the fueling about every 45 minutes through the race. If you are within 30 minutes of the end of the race, forgo the fuel as it really will not be effective.
- Practice lengthening or shortening the time between fueling, depending on how you feel and/or react. The period is generally between 30/40 minutes on the short side and longer. There are five hour marathon runners who take on nothing in a race.
- Understand that the body is generally limited to 220-250 Kcal per hour uptake. This includes sport drink. The GI tract is normally shunted during a run. Water, drink and fuel will pull liquid from elsewhere in the body to process these substances.
- If one overloads the stomach beyond its ability to pass through water and fuel, it can shut in. Your clue to back off inputs of water and fuel is if you hear or feel a sloshing in the belly. If this occurs, do not drink or eat anything for a bit so that the stomach can catch up. You may be forced to a walk as this resetting occurs.
As a first time marathoner, try many brands, flavors and types of fuel. There is a solution to your running fuel needs. I have a runner who bakes his own fuel and does well with it. Funny, it is one of the things that I cannot stomach on the run.

Thanks Coach! This is alot to take in but thankfully I feel better knowing I'm going about it the right way. I just sent the DH the bit about fueling for less than 90 minutes. I never understand how he can eat a full breakfast (typically egg sandwich), then takes in a GU gel before we head out about an hour later. He says the sugar gives him an energy boost. He doesn't do the distance I do because of foot issues, and typically maxes out around 5 miles. I guess I just don't see the need for the energy boost for shorter miles and he certainly doesn't need the extra sugar. :confused3

Just an FYI in case anyone was wondering...

I contacted runDisney about not being able to participate in this years Marathon. The wrote back saying that there will at some point (soon I think) be a link where you go to defer your race to the following year. It is only for the same race, so you can't switch to 2014 Wine And Dine or anything, it's directly to the same race the following year. Also there is a fee. I wasn't informed of how much the fee would be yet though.

Thank you for the advice. What sort of breakfast/pre-race food do you suggest?

All of the chatter on these boards has made me so nervous about corrals that I just signed up for a half marathon last minute to have a time to submit for corral placement!

It's less than a month away (Oct 6th), and quite frankly I'm a bit scared! I'm just getting over shin splints, and this is my one shot!

What time do I have to hit to make this worth it? I ran 11 miles last weekend in 2:15, but that's the longest I've gone so far on the Galloway Goofy plan.

Also, that weekend it's supposed to be 5.5 on Saturday and 15 on Sunday. The half is on that Sunday, so in the interest of getting a better time / corral should I skip the saturday 5.5? If so, how do I make that up?

Thanks! :)

All of the chatter on these boards has made me so nervous about corrals that I just signed up for a half marathon last minute to have a time to submit for corral placement!

It's less than a month away (Oct 6th), and quite frankly I'm a bit scared! I'm just getting over shin splints, and this is my one shot!

What time do I have to hit to make this worth it? I ran 11 miles last weekend in 2:15, but that's the longest I've gone so far on the Galloway Goofy plan.

Also, that weekend it's supposed to be 5.5 on Saturday and 15 on Sunday. The half is on that Sunday, so in the interest of getting a better time / corral should I skip the saturday 5.5? If so, how do I make that up?

If you've never run a half before, any finish time is "worth it". Disney fills the back corrals with people who do not submit any time at all.

Frankly, just run what you can run. If you run a 2:00, a 2:30 or a 3:00 half it will put you in a corral commiserate with your ability. You may be a corral or maybe two off as conditioning improves but that will allow you room to run. Too much attention and worry can go into corral assignments. As such, this worry will carry into your October race, create tension and it will slow you up. Just relax and run your race. Any time will pull you out of the last corral.

Even if you do end up without a proof, know that annually, runners start in the last corral and run a sub 4:30 full. The two I know do it as a challenge. The tough spots for crowds are at mile 1.2, mile 4-5 and mile 6.5 - 7.5. Other than that, the race starts to spread out and the roads get wide.

Remember, you are heading to Disney so have fun in your training. With regard to your run questions.... Skip the Saturday run. You really do not need to run a short long as often as the plan says. Run the half and then hop back on the plan.

Have a great half and just do your best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter