OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

I'm a cheap person, especially when it comes to yoga, so I've used some of the videos the Yoga Journal has online (think low budget, I made this in my mom's basement quality videos) but they were helpful and they have ones dedicated to opening the hips. Stuff like warrior, pigeon pose (oh feel that IT band stretching...)

And on youtube, Lululemon put up a bunch of "running into yoga" type of videos that have some nice stretches. I don't know what's still on there since their race is over but it might be worth checking it out... (As you can clearly see, I'm a yoga freeloader.)

I really like the Yoga Studio app for iPhone, and many cable companies have Yoga workouts On Demand as well.

I had some ITBS on my right side right after I started training, but it's luckily subsided. I have some issues with shin splints if I try to walk too fast or if I up my incline (I've been running on our treadmill so far just because I don't like running outside when it's hot), but they haven't bothered me for a bit. The new thing that just popped up this week is my left hip. But after some Googling, I think it's just some muscle soreness and not an injury. I had a PT & trainer both tell me that I'm really tight and inflexible in my hips, so I need to add in some good stretches I think. And perhaps yoga. Anyone have any yoga/stretches/exercises they really like to help with hip flexibility?

I have a DVD by Gwen Lawrence, and I love the stretches she does for the legs and hips. Here's a good youtube video of her showing some of the stretches. They hurt, but I know they're doing a great job with my tight muscles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnbHvyxIqM

New topic: what's everyone's top five running songs? Who knows, we all may end up with some new motivational tunes! :confused3

1. Born to Run - Bruce (cheesy I know, but it works!:hyper:)
2. It's My Life - Bon Jovi
3. Feel This Moment - Pitbull and Aguilera (not a big fan, but it's catchy) :thumbsup2
4. Little Less Conversation - Elvis
5. In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins

I can't come up with a top 5, but here are some I really enjoy:

Running Down a Dream, Tom Petty - the beat on this song sets up my cadence perfectly.
Hey Ya!, Outkast - another one with a well-time beat
Stronger, Kanye West - reminds me that my training is making me stronger
Waka Waka, Shakira - this was the official song of the World Cup in 2010
Final Countdown, Europe - makes me think of an NBA pre game ceremony

After a phrase yesterday on the ToT thread... The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult became stuck in my head. And to make matters worse, it came up in a mix last night on the TM.

All our times have come
Here but now they're gone
Seasons don't fear the sweaper
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain..we can be like they are
Come on baby...don't fear the sweaper
Baby take my hand...don't fear the sweaper
We'll be able to fly...don't fear the sweaper
Baby I'm your man...​

Other than that, I have a couple hundred mixes that I have made through the years as a cycle class instructor. Generally, they are Rock and/or Roll from the 60's and 70's with some up tempo 90's and 00's hits thrown it

In no particular order...

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
Sing, Sing, Sing - Benny Goodman et al.
Invisible Light - Scissor Sisters
You Can't Stop the Beat - Hairspray Soundtrack
I Like to Move It - Reel 2 Real

I usually repeat the latest downloads to my running playlist. At the moment I'm looping

Everclear - AM Radio
Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire
Daft Punk - Contact
Beyonce - Grown Woman
Don Henley - Boys Of Summer (use this one to improve my Cadence)

I have a running playlist of favorites that's 228 songs long and counting, lol! I'll just shuffle and list the first 5...

Another State of Mind - Social Distortion
Two Tribes - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Young Turks - Rod Stewart
Heart of Glass - Blondie
Thunderstruck - AC/DC

After a phrase yesterday on the ToT thread... The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult became stuck in my head. And to make matters worse, it came up in a mix last night on the TM.

All our times have come
Here but now they're gone
Seasons don't fear the sweaper
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain..we can be like they are
Come on baby...don't fear the sweaper
Baby take my hand...don't fear the sweaper
We'll be able to fly...don't fear the sweaper
Baby I'm your man...​

Other than that, I have a couple hundred mixes that I have made through the years as a cycle class instructor. Generally, they are Rock and/or Roll from the 60's and 70's with some up tempo 90's and 00's hits thrown it

This is hilarious! :lmao:

For those of you who listed Thunderstruck, I LOVE it but can't find the AC/DC version on iTunes! All I could find was a decent cover for it, but if anyone knows where I can find it to download it into my iPod, I appreciate it. :goodvibes

Love these too:

Hey Ya! :thumbsup2
Boys of Summer :thumbsup2
And another fave - I'm the World's Greatest by R. Kelly. :thumbsup2 Actually heard this when watching a YouTube video of a girl who ran her 1st full at WDW Marathon weekend. Her DH taped the whole thing and set it to music. I was actually crying at the end. ::yes:: I'm such a sap.....:rotfl:

For those of you who listed Thunderstruck, I LOVE it but can't find the AC/DC version on iTunes! All I could find was a decent cover for it, but if anyone knows where I can find it to download it into my iPod, I appreciate it. :goodvibes

Oh no, is AC/DC gone again?! They showed up on iTunes a while ago after being absent for a long time. I can't remember just when I downloaded - maybe a few months. Have you checked recently?

What do they provide at the food stations? Is it just Gu? Do they have bananas?

Last year they gave out bananas at mile 12 and maybe 19 (my memory is failing me), Clif-brand gels around 15 and 19, and candy at 22/23. There were also wet sponges at mile 17, but I wouldn't recommend snacking on those. :)

Last year they gave out bananas at mile 12 and maybe 19 (my memory is failing me), Clif-brand gels around 15 and 19, and candy at 22/23. There were also wet sponges at mile 17, but I wouldn't recommend snacking on those. :)

Oh, it's Clif? I thought it was GU and I just bought a bunch to test on my long runs. :(

Oh, it's Clif? I thought it was GU and I just bought a bunch to test on my long runs. :(

Disney always uses the Clif brand, but to be honest, I find them so similar to the gu brand that I use those two interchangeably. You might be the same!

Clif is a sponsor of runDisney, so their products will be used. Same reason why we get Craisins in our goodie boxes and Powerade instead of Gatorade.

Test/bring your GU, but definitely test the Clif too before the race.

The gels don't make a difference to me between the two brands, but I found out the hard way that I can't do the gummy-like GU Chomps, yet I'm fine with Clif Blocks. For some people it makes no difference at all, or it's just a taste preference... It's kind of fascinating how different we are. :confused3

My process is to bring my own GU, Stingers, Cliff Bloks, etc. Whatever I used to train is what I will use for the race. I'm glad I did for my first race because the flavor that they provided was not one that I really liked. What I do now is bring my own, then I take one of the items that the race provides and use it on a training run.

The other reason that I do this is because I may need a Gu or something before Disney provides it to you. For me, I'd rather follow my training and use what I'm sure works.

Hahaha. I was so good when I did goofy and brought all the foods I had trained with, but by mile 23 I was taking twizzlers and candy from random strangers and enjoying every bite : ) good times....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter