OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

Has anyone ever transferred races after the races are sold out (as in from the full to the half)? My DH & I are finding our bodies aren't responding as well to training as we had hoped ;) so we're wondering if that's a possibility. Since RunDisney is closed on the weekend, we haven't been able to call and ask them.

We're holding off until the 13 miler in two weeks to make a decision, but after a disastrous 9 miler (I bonked pretty hard after it) and struggling through the 11 miler, I'm wondering if we have that option still. Part of me says we still have around 4 months to train and that we'll have bad/tough runs, so we just need to tough it out. I feel like I'm losing too much endurance during the week with Galloway, so I'm going to try a Higdon/Galloway hybrid to up my weekly mileage (slightly) with some shorter distances (3-6 miles) to see if that helps in the next couple of weeks as well.

Has anyone ever transferred races after the races are sold out (as in from the full to the half)? My DH & I are finding our bodies aren't responding as well to training as we had hoped ;) so we're wondering if that's a possibility. Since RunDisney is closed on the weekend, we haven't been able to call and ask them.

We're holding off until the 13 miler in two weeks to make a decision, but after a disastrous 9 miler (I bonked pretty hard after it) and struggling through the 11 miler, I'm wondering if we have that option still. Part of me says we still have around 4 months to train and that we'll have bad/tough runs, so we just need to tough it out. I feel like I'm losing too much endurance during the week with Galloway, so I'm going to try a Higdon/Galloway hybrid to up my weekly mileage (slightly) with some shorter distances (3-6 miles) to see if that helps in the next couple of weeks as well.

I don't think they'll let you switch after the half is sold out, but you could transfer your registration to Wine & Dine or ToT 2014.

Look at John Bingham's plan. He has a book, marathoning for Mortals, and he had a 20 week plan for training. It's more intensive but you are already way ahead of where I was so it could help?

I'm glad you asked though because it looks like I have to drop out. I injured my foot today and I have been told to stay off it as much as possible for 2 weeks and then when I can walk comfortably I'm supposed to start off easier on the training. I was already painfully behind so there is no way I will be able to complete the marathon on time :( how does transferring to a later race work?

I don't think they'll let you switch after the half is sold out, but you could transfer your registration to Wine & Dine or ToT 2014.

My understanding is if the races are full, they will not let you transfer. Also, I would check and double check to see if you can defer to another race altoghter. I was told I could not when I tried to defer my Dumbo Double Dare race for recent Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend. It had to be deferred to the same race the following year. I was told the policies are changing rapidly, so I would talk to a RD representative.

That being said, who knows, it seems like the policies and who you talk to are different all the time!

Good luck getting information and I hope you can make a decision that works best for you. There IS still a lot of time!

My understanding is if the races are full, they will not let you transfer. Also, I would check and double check to see if you can defer to another race altoghter. I was told I could not when I tried to defer my Dumbo Double Dare race for recent Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend. It had to be deferred to the same race the following year. I was told the policies are changing rapidly, so I would talk to a RD representative.

That being said, who knows, it seems like the policies and who you talk to are different all the time!

Good luck getting information and I hope you can make a decision that works best for you. There IS still a lot of time!

Sorry, that's what I meant. You can transfer to a later race whose registration hasn't opened yet.

Thanks everybody! Deferring to a race later in the year isn't really possible for us (as I'm hoping to be pregnant by the time the other races come around and it just won't be in the budget to travel again for another Disney race), so it would have to be the half of marathon weekend.

After doing some research online, I'm thinking that we can do it as a lot of training plans don't even start until now, we just need to be training smarter. I think fuelling is my main issue (as I feel fine today after the 11 miles yesterday) and I'm hoping that since I worked on timing during the 11 miler, my 13 miler will go much better. I mean there's no way I could have even done 11 miles even a month or 6 weeks ago, so I think I need to take it just one week at at time.

Look at John Bingham's plan. He has a book, marathoning for Mortals, and he had a 20 week plan for training. It's more intensive but you are already way ahead of where I was so it could help?

I'm glad you asked though because it looks like I have to drop out. I injured my foot today and I have been told to stay off it as much as possible for 2 weeks and then when I can walk comfortably I'm supposed to start off easier on the training. I was already painfully behind so there is no way I will be able to complete the marathon on time :( how does transferring to a later race work?

Thanks! I'll definitely check him out. I read Marathoning for Mortals awhile ago when we were thinking of doing a half, but didn't think to look into his plan this time around. I know DH thought he'd like his plan better last time.

That's too bad that you have to drop out. Hopefully your foot feels better soon!

Roll call everyone: Who's hurting where?

I spent this week getting over knee pain, right below my right knee on the outside I've been having pain ever since a cross country 5k two weeks ago. I iced, I stretched, I foam rolled... I even tried shortening my stride which got me going faster and kept me pain free. At the end of Saturday's 18 miler, I had no knee pain. For now, crisis averted.

Pretty consistent knee pain on my long runs. And the goofy training is just starting to rack up some mileage... Yikes! One of the problems I've found running in flat south Florida.

Thanks everybody! Deferring to a race later in the year isn't really possible for us (as I'm hoping to be pregnant by the time the other races come around and it just won't be in the budget to travel again for another Disney race), so it would have to be the half of marathon weekend.

After doing some research online, I'm thinking that we can do it as a lot of training plans don't even start until now, we just need to be training smarter. I think fuelling is my main issue (as I feel fine today after the 11 miles yesterday) and I'm hoping that since I worked on timing during the 11 miler, my 13 miler will go much better. I mean there's no way I could have even done 11 miles even a month or 6 weeks ago, so I think I need to take it just one week at at time.
!

One week, one run, one step at a time. Just keep swimming....

I spent this week getting over knee pain, right below my right knee on the outside I've been having pain ever since a cross country 5k two weeks ago. I iced, I stretched, I foam rolled... I even tried shortening my stride which got me going faster and kept me pain free. At the end of Saturday's 18 miler, I had no knee pain. For now, crisis averted.

Had a few minutes of some nasty left lower knee pain during my 5k on Saturday :scared1:, but thankfully that went away pretty quickly (arthritis I'm sure). Right IT pain has been manageable with strenghtening exercises, stretching, EMS, ice, and some rx meloxicam. Keeping the mileage low and slow and feeling pretty good where I'm at for now :thumbsup2. Plan on picking up the mileage during the next few weeks obviously, but going to max out at 10 miles 2 weeks before :cool1:. Not worried about the 13 at all, just concentrating more on keep the IT under control. :goodvibes

See below...
Not worried about the 13 at all, just concentrating more on keep the IT under control. :goodvibes

+1 - ITBS is baaaaaack... but in my OTHER leg this time. :headache::headache::headache: Got my 11 miles done Saturday, but it involved a lot of walking and now I'm out of commission for at least a few days. Caught it early, though, so I'm hoping it will be remedied quickly and won't impact TOT or my Oct. half too much.

I used half a stick of bodyglide before the full marathon putting it everywhere and anywhere,putting extra layers in areas like my inner thighs and my feet.I also brought with me on the race a mini travel sized one that was easier to carry on the race.At mile 12 something in the bathrooms next to Everest I reapplied and had no issues for the rest of the race.However after I finished the marathon and was walking back to the bus I started getting some chafing in my inner thighs and by the time I got to the room I was in pain.I have used bodyglide for years and it's always worked excellent,all I can say is that it got me through 26.2 miles without issues but for next year I'm reapplying three times in the race if I have to so even after the race I won't experience any chafing.

Thanks for the info. I ran 11 miles on Saturday and the one application was enough...no chafing. After hearing this, I am thinking that I will definitely bring a small stick of it with me for the marathon. Better to over apply if anything.

I have never used it on my feet before but I have never had any problems with my feet. Is this a common issue for distance runners? I have not heard of this before.

I have only used body glide in 1/2 marathons and it worked until I ran R&R Nashville in the rain this year. It totally washed away and left me with major chafing. I changed to Sport Shield because it is supposed to be rainproof So far no repeat of problems but I also haven't done 13.1 in pouring rain. You might want to check it out as well

Thanks. I will definitely check out Sport Shield.

I had ITBS through my half in April, then I rested for two months, all the while rolling, stretching and icing. Now a secondary pain has surfaced, so I'm seeing an orthopedic chiropractor. Fun times.

So far, I've been lucky on real pain. (Major knocking on wood here) My main problem is having been sick with upper respiratory stuff for over a week. I missed one full week of running, but after waking up semi-alive yesterday, I made myself mostly walk (partly run) the 11 miles due on the Dopey schedule. I used a 1 minute running/5 minutes walking pattern, and managed to get through it. Now my legs are sore, but not injured so far. We're nuts, or at least I am. ;)

Has anyone used 2Toms BlisterShield Powder or 2Toms Chafing Sport Shield? I was reading other running forums and I've heard this product was another favorite amongst distance runners.

My 13.1 mile training run 2 weeks ago was my first time experiencing any kind of pain. My right knee started to hurt somewhere in the second half and my calves were cramping up a bit as well. The muscle pain went away by the time I got home (about 20 minute drive), but my knee hurt the rest of the day. By the next day it was fine.

This weekend for my 15 mile run, I tried compression sleeves on my calves. Could be a coincidence, but I had minimal pain from the knees down. My left knee (opposite of the past run) hurt a tiny bit during parts of the run, but I barely thought about it. My knees did still hurt for the rest of the day after the run though. Next day, good as new!

My quads were screaming almost from the beginning during the 15 miler though. I think it was a combination of things...
1) I've been lazy with strength training and finally did a workout on the Wednesday before. My legs were sore for a few days and probably still tired come Saturday.

2) I carried over twice as much water than I am used to. I really felt that extra weight!

Has anyone used 2Toms BlisterShield Powder or 2Toms Chafing Sport Shield? I was reading other running forums and I've heard this product was another favorite amongst distance runners.

I was looming at this too, but then I found "Trislide" which I may try instead. Since I do triathlons too this could be a single item for both. Plus in a spray on I think it'll go on easier and less chance ill miss a spot. I've been using body glide for biking for years without much issue, but it is a little waxy/gummy. Hoping to avoid some of that. And I have yet to run further that. 13.1,but haven't had any chafing issues running yet. Hoping I never do! :-)

I had some ITBS on my right side right after I started training, but it's luckily subsided. I have some issues with shin splints if I try to walk too fast or if I up my incline (I've been running on our treadmill so far just because I don't like running outside when it's hot), but they haven't bothered me for a bit. The new thing that just popped up this week is my left hip. But after some Googling, I think it's just some muscle soreness and not an injury. I had a PT & trainer both tell me that I'm really tight and inflexible in my hips, so I need to add in some good stretches I think. And perhaps yoga. Anyone have any yoga/stretches/exercises they really like to help with hip flexibility?

I have only used body glide in 1/2 marathons and it worked until I ran R&R Nashville in the rain this year. It totally washed away and left me with major chafing. I changed to Sport Shield because it is supposed to be rainproof So far no repeat of problems but I also haven't done 13.1 in pouring rain. You might want to check it out as well

For some reason, the BodyGlide I bought seems super dry to me. It feels like I'm not actually applying anything and I still chafe when I apply it (maybe I'm not applying it right?). I'll definitely look into SportShield - thanks for the suggestion!

QUOTE]

me! Knee pain is gone, thankfully. But my leg (Achilles area?) started really bothering me during the DL half a little over a week ago. Now the bottom of both heels are feeling bruised! Sigh! Marathon training starts tomorrow but I'm debating on waiting another week or not.

I had some ITBS on my right side right after I started training, but it's luckily subsided. I have some issues with shin splints if I try to walk too fast or if I up my incline (I've been running on our treadmill so far just because I don't like running outside when it's hot), but they haven't bothered me for a bit. The new thing that just popped up this week is my left hip. But after some Googling, I think it's just some muscle soreness and not an injury. I had a PT & trainer both tell me that I'm really tight and inflexible in my hips, so I need to add in some good stretches I think. And perhaps yoga. Anyone have any yoga/stretches/exercises they really like to help with hip flexibility?

I'm a cheap person, especially when it comes to yoga, so I've used some of the videos the Yoga Journal has online (think low budget, I made this in my mom's basement quality videos) but they were helpful and they have ones dedicated to opening the hips. Stuff like warrior, pigeon pose (oh feel that IT band stretching...)

And on youtube, Lululemon put up a bunch of "running into yoga" type of videos that have some nice stretches. I don't know what's still on there since their race is over but it might be worth checking it out... (As you can clearly see, I'm a yoga freeloader.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter