OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by WaDiWo, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DisneyParrothead

DisneyParrothead Mouseketeer

I've had one of theirs bookmarked and I'm going to spring for it this month. I now have 4 medals and they are starting to clutter the top of my dresser.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. steves1019

steves1019 Mouseketeer

You won't be disappointed.

4. LSUfan4444

LSUfan4444 DIS Veteran

Well, race week here for me. A local sprint triathlon.

Anyway, each race week I change my facebook cover photo to the below as a Disney inspired "Beast Mode" pic...anyway, thought I would share in case anyone wants to borrow it or just use it as motivation at any point.

[​IMG]

5. steves1019

steves1019 Mouseketeer

Anyone running the Broad Street run in Philly this Sunday? I will be, though I'm not properly prepared yet. My goal is to finish in injured :-)

6. operationremie

operationremie Mouseketeer

i might have to use that when i run and put it on facebook

7. Dagna

Dagna Earning My Ears

Just signed up for the marathon last night--so excited!!!! Well, not excited enough to not wait for my Disney Visa to arrive so I could get the $15 discount ;). Card arrived, marathon entered, all is good.

Oh, yeah. There's that training thing to do...haven't run in years. But I used to run a lot, so I'm looking forward to getting back into that.

See ya there!

8. FloridaNative8

FloridaNative8 Mouseketeer

How exciting!! Welcome! :)

9. wendy1974

wendy1974 DIS Veteran

I have bee look for a way to display my medals (other than my bed post). Thank you for the link!!!

10. 4stroke

4stroke Earning My Ears

Time for me to weigh in......
    I'm going Goofy in 2014 and I'm excited, nervous, scared and a bit nuts.....but that's ok!

Today was my second Half Marathon (BMO Vancouver). My first was Donald at the 2013 WDW Half. I've never been a runner, and started running last summer only to train for Donald this year (with DW, but she had to pull out because we're expecting our first baby!). In high school, I couldn't run more than a lap on the track without huffing & puffing, and near-collapsing. Now (14 years later) I've got 2 half marathons and 3 10k's under my belt and I'm flipping addicted to this running thing.

I did way better than I thought I could today. My legs hurt, I have to take a 5-hour redeye flight home (wearing my medal & compression socks, of course!), but I'd do it again tomorrow if my body could.

Goofy, however, is another matter entirely. What have I gotten myself into???

~~~~~mad grin~~~~

4S

Apr/08: Offsite ~ Apr/09: Offsite ~ Apr/10: CR ~ Oct/10: Disney Paris Offsite ~ Apr/11: CR ~ Oct/11: CSR & POFQ (Purchased DVC ) ~ Jan/12: BLT & VWL ~ May/12: BLT & VWL ~ Oct/12: BLT & POR ~ Jan/13: SSR

11. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Iron Sport Works makes great medal hangers too. The Texas Marathon Challenge in the middle of the home page is one they custom made for me. They're owned by two Disney lovers in FL, right outside Orlando. http://www.ironsportworks.com/

12. FloridaNative8

Congrats, on both the race and baby!!:yay:

13. Dagna

Dagna Earning My Ears

Thanks! I'll hope to see you there.

14. PlutoBaby

PlutoBaby Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Hi everybody! :wave2: Wasn't planning on it, but somehow got talked into doing the Half in 2014! Hopefully, the IT's will control themselves and let me do both this and the 2013 W&D. I've never done this particular race before so any newbie advice would be greatly appreciated. :goodvibes Last year's W&D was my first Disney race and needless to say.....I'm hooked! :banana: Looking forward to meeting all my fellow WISH'ers in both November and January! :woohoo:

15. cewait

cewait DIS Veteran

You can do it...

You have one under your belt and this one will feel easier. Well, after the pain of waking at 0200.... I say pain, but honestly, no one really sleeps the night before a race.

16. FloridaNative8

Yay!!! Glad to see you here too!:wave2:

17. PlutoBaby

Since I don't sleep that well to begin with, 0200 won't seem that bad! :p And any advice you can give will help too!:)

Hi Jenn! :wave2:

18. DOOM1001

DOOM1001 DIS Veteran

I only did the full marathon this year and didn't sleep at all Friday night with the goal of when I went to sleep at 6-7pm on Saturday I would fall asleep easy and get at least 7-8 hours of sleep before the marathon,at least that was the plan.Everything was running how I planned,I was in bed at 6:30pm,felt sleepy and I probably even dozed off for ten minutes and for some reason I was awoken and after that I couldn't get in sleep mode again.Tried as hard as I could but was tossing and turning for hours probably getting an hour or two maximum of sleep,definitely not the plan,as I'm like a different person if I don't get enough sleep.Luckily for me the adrenaline and excitement that probably kept me from falling asleep was probably what kept me going and feeling perfectly fine to be able to complete the marathon.Next year the plan will be the same but I'll probably take some melatonin as well.The whole sleep thing is what would worry me most if I were to try to do the Goofy or Dopey.Next year I'm sticking to the full marathon but 2015 I will definitely be doing the Goofy or possibly the Dopey.

19. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Here's my advice: don't get up at 2. Get up at 3 or 330 instead. You'll still have plenty of time to make it to the start.

20. PlutoBaby

Thanks! I'll be staying at one of the Downtown hotels and taking a cab to the start, so I'll probably have to get up a little earlier. My only problem will be getting ANY sleep at all! :scared:

21. MRS AR

MRS AR DIS Veteran

Anyone have any advice on the Hal Higdon novice program? I like that I can progress over 30 weeks, but the days of the week won't work for my long run and rest day. How much will it hurt if I switch up some of the schedule days? I've been running for about 8 months and I've completed 4 1/2 marathons since January. I believe I won't have a problem finishing a marathon if I train correctly. Any comments?