OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

When does registration open up? I had originally said I wouldn't do the WDW Full again since it's so close to our busy time of year and I have to do the bulk of my training during that time, but DW, who swore she would never run more than 4 miles is now training for the half. I'm a youth pastor and 4 or my students are also training for the half now. As motivation for them, I've told them if they do the half, I'll go Goofy in 2014! I figured I'd do the half at full speed Saturday and then run what I can Sunday and walk the rest out. I want to keep DW and my kids at church motivated.

The sooner I register both DW and I, the more likely we'll both stay committed to the proper training and preparation. I also want to keep my mileage up where it's not so difficult to transition to marathon training during my peak time for work (October-December).

Welcome back!

April 9 is the date

Out of curiosity, how was AKL for Marathon Weekend? Did you use the bus transportation, and was it problematic at all?

Thanks.

We had little issue with transportation from AKL. My biggest beef was that I had a really great room but it felt as through I was a mile from the bus stop. The race expo and race morning transports were super.

A general note here. Each year at least one resort seems to have a transportation snafu. I recall that AKL has had one in the past, though not the year I was there. Even if the resort where you are staying has an issue, they have most always been self correcting and all runners have made the race. The one exception was in 2002 or 3 when the race was delayed 20 minutes or so to clear out bus traffic.

Welcome back!

April 9 is the date

Thanks Coach! I saw that date after I posted here (don't know why I didn't check the RunDisney site first). It looks like we'll have a nice little team of 5 or 6 that will be running it with us, or at least that's how many we have now. I'm still on the fence about Goofy, but we're definitely doing at least one of the races.

Its funny that you commented, but it was just yesterday (my birthday actually and my family got me running supplies as my presents, including a rundisney shirt. Anyway, we start talking seriously about moving our trip up from Feb to Jan to work the marathon in. (It is a lifelong dream of mine)

Anyway, to make a short story long, we looked at your Marathon trip report from 2011. (You really created a full marathon picture in it). Had a lot of fun. I am glad it worked for you. I hope it can for us, i think it can.

Thanks! I loved doing that report and I'm glad people still enjoy it.

Does anyone know? Can you walk from the boardwalk to the start of the marathon? Is it possible? Is it advisable?

Does anyone know? Can you walk from the boardwalk to the start of the marathon? Is it possible? Is it advisable?

no...

you will need to take the bus to the race. Post race, if willing to burn a pass, you can walk back.

no...

you will need to take the bus to the race. Post race, if willing to burn a pass, you can walk back.

I.e., you would have to enter and walk through Epcot to get to Boardwalk, which would require using a theme park ticket.

Another odd question...

I am planning on running in the 2014 marathon. We are moving our Dis vacation from feb to jan in order to do so. I have never run a marathon, but I am not a couch potato. My max distance so far is 10 miles. Not marathon ready of course, but I am working on regular excersise right now and will be engaging in Galloway's 28 week training program. That said, dont count me in yet. Its weird, but I dont want to jinx myself. I am trying to refrain for talking to boldly until I have bought that ticket in April. (weird I know, but how it is lol)

So here's the question. I WANT Disney to be my first marathon. It is also I life goal to run a marathon. However, I care VERY LITTLE about my time. I dont want to be last or struggling with getting cut, but I dont care about posting I PR. I am planning on getting a pic for every character possible. I am planning on soaking in EVERY bit of MAGIC possible. I know it is crazy but I would even love to ride Everest.

SO, is it possible to really engage in all the Disney magic if I dont care about the time? (knowing I wont be standing in 20 minute lines of course)

Also, what should my pace be? If I am going to be sucking out all this time with pics and such, adding in possible bathroom breaks and water breaks, what should my marathon pace be to still be good?

Another odd question...

I am planning on running in the 2014 marathon. We are moving our Dis vacation from feb to jan in order to do so. I have never run a marathon, but I am not a couch potato. My max distance so far is 10 miles. Not marathon ready of course, but I am working on regular excersise right now and will be engaging in Galloway's 28 week training program. That said, dont count me in yet. Its weird, but I dont want to jinx myself. I am trying to refrain for talking to boldly until I have bought that ticket in April. (weird I know, but how it is lol)

So here's the question. I WANT Disney to be my first marathon. It is also I life goal to run a marathon. However, I care VERY LITTLE about my time. I dont want to be last or struggling with getting cut, but I dont care about posting I PR. I am planning on getting a pic for every character possible. I am planning on soaking in EVERY bit of MAGIC possible. I know it is crazy but I would even love to ride Everest.

SO, is it possible to really engage in all the Disney magic if I dont care about the time? (knowing I wont be standing in 20 minute lines of course)

Also, what should my pace be? If I am going to be sucking out all this time with pics and such, adding in possible bathroom breaks and water breaks, what should my marathon pace be to still be good?

Just remember, if it's your first marathon, it's guaranteed to be a PR! I did my first full at WDW this year and although I'm an extremely competitive person who pushes myself, I didn't get overwhelmed with anything other than having a good time. I cramped really bad around mile 16 and spent much of the last 10 miles walking and stretching, but I still had a great time. The sense of accomplishment you get from completing a marathon is unmatched to me even if you finish more than an hour slower than you expected to like me; however the Disney races are second to none! You can't help but experience the magic. The cheering crowds at every turn were even more inspiring and enjoyable than the characters to me. Moments like running through the castle, running by Expedition Everest, Running in front of sorceror Mickey's hat in DHS in front of the big crowds lining the street and then finishing at Epcot are amazing in themselves.

Another odd question...

See I'm the opposite lol.. I'm telling everyone I'm doing it, already booked AKL, and I was thinking the same thing the other person was, it will be your PR!! So heck, that's a good thing right there! Now, I am planning on going goofy and it being my second marathon. I am training for the Columbus marathon here in October. Not so much so I know I've done the distance, with the galloway goofy program i WILL have the distance under my belt, but to just get the race day jitters somewhat under control so I just know how it works to a point.

EMHDAD,the 2013 Disney marathon was my first marathon and like you I was in shape to run 10-12 miles well before doing training runs for the marathon.Aside from 3-5 mile runs 2-3 times a week at the gym I did about 8 long training runs from 12-18 miles so I went into the marathon not knowing how I would feel in the later miles of the marathon.I took pictures of many of the mile markers and on race entertainment but didn't stand in line to get my picture taken.Aside from taking the pictures and going to the bathroom by Space Mountain and again by Everest to reapply bodyglide I ran the first 14 miles straight at around a 12 minute per mile pace.From mile 14-18 knowing Osceola parkway is boring I started running/walking,but still running more than walking.At mile 18 entering WWoS I got a minor cramp in my left thigh,not painful but knowing that at that point only an injury would keep me from finishing I took a GU and water,started walking more than running and the cramp went away.From then on I walked more than ran as around mile 22 I got the same cramp but this time on my right thigh,again it wasn't anything painful but I wanted to be cautious and finish,which I did in under 6 hours.I plan to run the ToT 10 miler and use it as a training run for the full which I'm definitely running again in 2014.My only real goals for the 2014 marathon would be to not get hurt,finish in less time than it took me in 2013,even if it's a minute less and if I have a chance to ride Everest without a long wait go for it,I gave thought to trying Goofy in 2014 but I think I'm putting that off until 2015,especially since I'm signed up for a half marathon a couple of weeks after the Disney full.

Thanx for all the comments.

Still, wondering, if I was to take the majority of photo-ops, stop for bathroom once or twice, potentially ride Everest, and generally take in as much magic as possible, what would be a good pace to go at to make up for everything (knowing my pr will just be finishing)

Still, wondering, if I was to take the majority of photo-ops, stop for bathroom once or twice, potentially ride Everest, and generally take in as much magic as possible, what would be a good pace to go at to make up for everything (knowing my pr will just be finishing)

I don't know if this helps, but last year, I ran three marathons in the 4:40 range and two weeks after running the Goofy this year, I ran one in 4:28. I stopped at every picture opportunity, took lots of pictures of the cars, got to Everest at 8:45 and waited 15 minutes until it opened to ride, stopped twice for the bathrooms, ran around EPCOT with my eight year old daughter, and made some of my own picture opportunities (like the turtle on the race track). I finished in 6:25. Two things to take into consideration, it was hot so I didn't push it too much. Also, the lines for characters were much longer this year than in 2011 or 2012. I hope this gives some idea of the time it takes for pictures and stuff.

I do not stop at many photo ops.... but selectively stop at ones with little or no line. I agree that the lines were longer in 2013 than before. I also came to a stand still in Cinderella Castle due to the line for the posed Castle shots that backed up on the ramp.

My suggestion is to not plan it out now; rather, train and figure out how much time you may run the race in. While a time goal is not a recommended, you will have an idea as to your overall speed in the fall. Then, as you begin to understand what your time on course may look like, then look at the course and plan slow spots in and near parks and resorts for photo ops. Use these stops as a way to re-energize and get on with the race.

Just remember - its all about the relentless pursuit of forward momentum.

EMH Dad...

In reality I doubt you will do most of the things you want to do for your first marathon. Mainly your goal will be to finish. Likely, you will start at the last coral as I did. The race begins at 530am I believe but you wont probably start the race until about 615am. The 'balloon ladies' will be behind you in the last coral...so all you will think about is just finishing the race.

I have my first marathon behind me now (the Disney one, I actually did the Goofy challenge)..so now I have a pr to best. My goal would be to get the McFlurry around mile 15...Or if not that than get a frozen drink at Epcot before I cross the finish line. Having done the marathon for the first time this year I thought I might get a beer or something at Epcot but in truth, by the time I got there all I wanted to do was CROSS THE FINISH LINE!

So your goal should be to finish. If you can start in an earlier coral or your timing is pretty good than maybe you can do a photo or two.

I am planning on running a half marathong in the fall to get in a corral that is not last. It prob wont be great, but I should do. I know(from experience) that I can run 10 miles at a 11min pace. I should be able to do a halve with a time good enough to get beyond the last corral. That said, I am hoping to at least complete a 13 min/mile average which will hopefully build up some time. I guess, we shall just have to see.

Also, I was withholding saying this, but I will now...

Add me to the list!! I am running in the 2014 marathon. I was going to wait for the April registration. Wanted to show commitment before boasting. However, I just rented dvc points today. The commitment is in. I am going to run the 2014 Disney Marathon!!

I am planning on running a half marathong in the fall to get in a corral that is not last. It prob wont be great, but I should do. I know(from experience) that I can run 10 miles at a 11min pace. I should be able to do a halve with a time good enough to get beyond the last corral. That said, I am hoping to at least complete a 13 min/mile average which will hopefully build up some time. I guess, we shall just have to see.

Also, I was withholding saying this, but I will now...

Add me to the list!! I am running in the 2014 marathon. I was going to wait for the April registration. Wanted to show commitment before boasting. However, I just rented dvc points today. The commitment is in. I am going to run the 2014 Disney Marathon!!

welcome to the party You are making a great decision to run a half. Besides a tool for corral placement, it will give you more feel for running an endurance event. While running in the subdivision or local park is a necessary exercise, seeing how you react to running in a crowd, running through aid stations, learning pacing with others around you will help as you pass through the mile 20 barrier on race day.

As April 9 approaches, there will be the inevitable question of what time do I claim for the event. Here are the facts and following, what I would do (did early in my career).

What do I need to do for estimated times?

For the half any estimated time QUICKER than 2:45 will require a race after July 1, 2011 (or some date) that supports your estimated time. For the Full, any estimated time quicker than 5:00 will requires a race time to prove you can make that time.

As a minute per mile pace... if you expect to run the half quicker than a 12:36 minute mile or a full quicker than a 11:30 mile you will need a proof of time.

What kind of race can I run to demonstrate proof of time?

ANY race 10k (6.2 miles) or longer can be used AS LONG AS it is within the time period specified on the entry form.

What if I am slower than these times/paces?

If you expect to be slower than these paces you simply enter your expected finish time and the N/A in the place for your race that demonstrates your time.

What if I find that I am faster later in the year?

It is definitely possible that you will find that you are faster than expected. If so, find a race 10k or longer. Send the name of the race, the date, the distance and your race data to the runDisney site. You only need to do this if you are trying to estimate a time quicker than 2:45 for the half or 5:00 for the full.

DO I have to send in a proof of time?

If you expect to be slower than the 2:45 in the half or 5:00 for the full, then no.

I estimated a time quicker than 2:45 in the half or 5:00 full but never sent in a proof of time. Will I still be able to start in the corral where my estimated time would have placed me?

Short answer, NO. runDisney penalizes those who try to claim a time quicker than the proof standard by placing these runners in the last corral.... behind those who claim no time.

Estimated time? That is too confusing, can I leave it blank?

You may but will be placed at the end of the race. It is better to claim the maximum time allowable than to leave the spot blank.

I am speed challenged, is there a way out of the last corral?

Simply stated, there is a time standard of 2:45 for the half and 5:00 for the full. Estimating a 2:46 for the half or 5:01 for the full will pull you out of the last corral. Since this is a non-proofed time slot, it is hard to revise your estimated time later in the game. Do it as you enter next month.

Yes, this does game the system some and puts those who try to claim a 3:00 half or 6:00 full a little further back. However, this is open to any and all.
I do not think I have ever run an open corral race where everyone was 100% honest. I am a 7:45 - 8:15 5k runner but will line up in local races with the sub 7 folks just to be with the folks at my level. What I have suggested is not too unlike that.

Hope this helps the first time runners figure out estimated time slot. Again, no proof of time from a previous race is required for those expecting a 2:46 or slower Half or a 5:01 or slower Full. If you simply do not know what your expected time will be, pick a time to get out of the rather large group of first time entrants who leave the slot blank.

As April 9 approaches, there will be the inevitable question of what time do I claim for the event. Here are the facts and following, what I would do (did early in my career).

What do I need to do for estimated times?

For the half any estimated time QUICKER than 2:45 will require a race after July 1, 2011 (or some date) that supports your estimated time. For the Full, any estimated time quicker than 5:00 will requires a race time to prove you can make that time.

As a minute per mile pace... if you expect to run the half quicker than a 12:36 minute mile or a full quicker than a 11:30 mile you will need a proof of time.

What kind of race can I run to demonstrate proof of time?

ANY race 10k (6.2 miles) or longer can be used AS LONG AS it is within the time period specified on the entry form.

What if I am slower than these times/paces?

If you expect to be slower than these paces you simply enter your expected finish time and the N/A in the place for your race that demonstrates your time.

What if I find that I am faster later in the year?

It is definitely possible that you will find that you are faster than expected. If so, find a race 10k or longer. Send the name of the race, the date, the distance and your race data to the runDisney site. You only need to do this if you are trying to estimate a time quicker than 2:45 for the half or 5:00 for the full.

DO I have to send in a proof of time?

If you expect to be slower than the 2:45 in the half or 5:00 for the full, then no.

I estimated a time quicker than 2:45 in the half or 5:00 full but never sent in a proof of time. Will I still be able to start in the corral where my estimated time would have placed me?

Short answer, NO. runDisney penalizes those who try to claim a time quicker than the proof standard by placing these runners in the last corral.... behind those who claim no time.

Estimated time? That is too confusing, can I leave it blank?

You may but will be placed at the end of the race. It is better to claim the maximum time allowable than to leave the spot blank.

I am speed challenged, is there a way out of the last corral?

Simply stated, there is a time standard of 2:45 for the half and 5:00 for the full. Estimating a 2:46 for the half or 5:01 for the full will pull you out of the last corral. Since this is a non-proofed time slot, it is hard to revise your estimated time later in the game. Do it as you enter next month.

Yes, this does game the system some and puts those who try to claim a 3:00 half or 6:00 full a little further back. However, this is open to any and all.
I do not think I have ever run an open corral race where everyone was 100% honest. I am a 7:45 - 8:15 5k runner but will line up in local races with the sub 7 folks just to be with the folks at my level. What I have suggested is not too unlike that.

Hope this helps the first time runners figure out estimated time slot. Again, no proof of time from a previous race is required for those expecting a 2:46 or slower Half or a 5:01 or slower Full. If you simply do not know what your expected time will be, pick a time to get out of the rather large group of first time entrants who leave the slot blank.

I am not sure everythign you are saying. Can you clear it up a little. First, are you saying (I have not completed a half or full) that I should put 5:01 as my estimated time when I register in April?

If I do, are you saying it is hard to revised it if I do run a half and get a great time?

FInally, are you saying people line up in corrals ahead of where they should?

I think I'm in for the full :thumbsup2 I just need to prove to myself between now and the registration that I can commit to a training plan.

It would be my first marathon and we are very excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter