Official 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

Good morning fellow tinkers! (Or is it 'Bells?) anyhow, I had a massively terrible, horrific, no-way-can-I-actually-do-this long run last night. 11 miles. My last long run before Tink. I finished but I felt so sick after and had a major foot cramp for the last five miles. I have no idea how I finished that run other than my sheer stubbornness. Anyhow, I am pretty sure I know what I did wrong at least partly - I was over hydrated. I am also still finishing up a head cold. And I had run two days in a row bc I'm also training for GSC. But it left me really doubting if I should go thru with this race. I mean, yes, I'd lose my race registration but I'd save the flight and hotel and associated costs..... It's just really hard for me to give up on anything tho so I'm trying to give myself a pep talk! I am actually pretty well trained for this, I missed some training runs a few weeks ago but only 3 the entire training plan, so I don't think I'm underprepared. I think I'm in a running funk. And I'm worried that maybe I'm just not cut out for distance running.

Anyone else experience this ever?

I've been "training" since last July when I started training for wine and dine at WDW. I'm just not as excited as I want to be. I Don't have a running costume bc I was afraid of it not being comfortable, and DH and I were not even planning to do the parks until after the race bc I'm afraid ill wear out my legs like I did before wine and dine. Im even afraid to stop for character photos because i dont do well when i stop and stand around during a race (as i learned last fall at wine and dine). I did just book a private transfer from the airport in an effort to alleviate some of my other grouchiness which is traveling from LAX. I'm looking into spa stuff but it is a little pricier than I want to spend. Has anyone done this race before and have great reviews of it to share to build some excitement?!

Yeah, thanks! I always forget about the email until I'm about to pick up the phone. :rotfl2: How's the ankle doing? A little better I hope.
actually there is no more email for dining at DL, it's all online just like booking at WDW dining!

Ok. If anyone needs a pep talk, here is your kick-in-the-*** you might need. You CAN do this. People get tired of hearing me say this,but Tink will be my 16th half. I only say it again, just to show you I sort of know what I'm talking about (although I learn something new each time I do one). I'm a 13 minute half marathon finisher, 20 pounds overweight, have blown out both ACL's in my knees in the past. So not your typical well oiled running machine. If I'm being honest, I train just enough to squeak by. BUT, I always finish a race.

Please trust me, yeah I know, you don't even know me, but this is mental game. Yes partly mental as in crazy, but mostly mental as in your brain is the biggest thing you will need to overcome. I have seen amputees, 80 year olds, incredibly overweight people, 8 year olds, a barefoot dwarf/midget/short person (not kidding), and people pushing their adult disabled kids in wheelchairs UPHILL.....you CAN do this.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

If you have gotten to mile 11, guys, you are basically at the finish line!

Its's time to DIG DEEP. You got this. Michele

kappyfamily said:
Ok. If anyone needs a pep talk, here is your kick-in-the-*** you might need. You CAN do this. People get tired of hearing me say this,but Tink will be my 16th half. I only say it again, just to show you I sort of know what I'm talking about (although I learn something new each time I do one). I'm a 13 minute half marathon finisher, 20 pounds overweight, have blown out both ACL's in my knees in the past. So not your typical well oiled running machine. If I'm being honest, I train just enough to squeak by. BUT, I always finish a race.

Please trust me, yeah I know, you don't even know me, but this is mental game. Yes partly mental as in crazy, but mostly mental as in your brain is the biggest thing you will need to overcome. I have seen amputees, 80 year olds, incredibly overweight people, 8 year olds, a barefoot dwarf/midget/short person (not kidding), and people pushing their adult disabled kids in wheelchairs UPHILL.....you CAN do this.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

If you have gotten to mile 11, guys, you are basically at the finish line!

Its's time to DIG DEEP. You got this. Michele

Thank u kappy/Michele- I did need that pep talk. I suppose it's time for me to remember that the mental game extends beyond just during the race. Thanks! (And ps- I'm also a 13 min half marathon finisher that is 20 pounds overweight an have knee injuries! So it really helps me to know you've done this 15 times. What's your secret?! This will be my 3rd half.)

Good morning fellow tinkers! (Or is it 'Bells?) anyhow, I had a massively terrible, horrific, no-way-can-I-actually-do-this long run last night. 11 miles. My last long run before Tink. I finished but I felt so sick after and had a major foot cramp for the last five miles. I have no idea how I finished that run other than my sheer stubbornness. Anyhow, I am pretty sure I know what I did wrong at least partly - I was over hydrated. I am also still finishing up a head cold. And I had run two days in a row bc I'm also training for GSC. But it left me really doubting if I should go thru with this race. I mean, yes, I'd lose my race registration but I'd save the flight and hotel and associated costs..... It's just really hard for me to give up on anything tho so I'm trying to give myself a pep talk! I am actually pretty well trained for this, I missed some training runs a few weeks ago but only 3 the entire training plan, so I don't think I'm underprepared. I think I'm in a running funk. And I'm worried that maybe I'm just not cut out for distance running.

I've been "training" since last July when I started training for wine and dine at WDW. I'm just not as excited as I want to be. I Don't have a running costume bc I was afraid of it not being comfortable, and DH and I were not even planning to do the parks until after the race bc I'm afraid ill wear out my legs like I did before wine and dine. Im even afraid to stop for character photos because i dont do well when i stop and stand around during a race (as i learned last fall at wine and dine). I did just book a private transfer from the airport in an effort to alleviate some of my other grouchiness which is traveling from LAX. I'm looking into spa stuff but it is a little pricier than I want to spend. Has anyone done this race before and have great reviews of it to share to build some excitement?!

Here's some kick with some pixie dust......It sounds like you had a really bad run. Over hydrating can be a serious problem just as being under hydrated.
YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!!!!!!!!
You have trained, arrangements are in order, including private transportation from LAX, and just book a spa appointment and your set !!!

Now this is very much a mental game with your head...I fight it too. I really understand..... this is my 10th 1/2 and this one I am going to have to walk it due to a torn meniscus in my knee. I am going to battle with myself not to run and just walk it according to my doctor. My thoughts are; keep positive thoughts in your head, ignore the negative ones that can creep in and keep moving forward one step and a time. (At a good pace :))

Now start packing and get ready for a really fun race. This is my favorite race to do personally I refuse to not do everything in my power to get my wings this year so if I can have this have this attitude you can too. :thumbsup2
Hope this helps. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Thank u kappy/Michele- I did need that pep talk. I suppose it's time for me to remember that the mental game extends beyond just during the race. Thanks! (And ps- I'm also a 13 min half marathon finisher that is 20 pounds overweight an have knee injuries! So it really helps me to know you've done this 15 times. What's your secret?! This will be my 3rd half.)
the secret? It's very easy...get out of bed, no matter how bad you want to stay in it, get to the race and then put one foot in front of the other! Also, the bling at the end really helps!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! If you can run 11 miles, you can run 13. For all 3 of my halfs fo far I've never done a training run over 8 miles. That was never my plan but thats how it worked out. This time around, due to injury, I haven't done a run longer than 4 miles and I'm still doing the 10K and half with a lot of walking. I'm not gonna PR, in fact I'll have my worst times ever but thats ok. Disney races aren't about the speed (for me at least), its all about the experience. And I promise you when you are surrounded by thousands of other rundisney runners you are going to feel the excitement! Race day adrenaline and excitement will take you a long way! If your foot cramps up, dont worry about it! Walk it off! All that matters is that you enjoy the experience and cross that finish line! If stopping for character pics makes you nervous regareding your time, then just dont stop. I probably won't stop for pics either for the same reason. But you'll still see the characters as you go by. Its still fun!

I almost didn't do Tink last year. I thought hard about cancelling. 6 weeks prior I suffered a nose injury that was still with me at that time. 3 weeks prior my mom, (who was my traveling partner) fell and injured her knee and wasn't 100% with her walking. The week of the race my DD5 was sick and 3 days before the race we had to put the best dog in the world to sleep due to cancer. The only reason I decided to make the trip was because I knew Disneyland would take DD5's mind off losing our beloved dog for a little while and bring her some happiness. I am SO glad I didn't cancel the trip. Running Tink was an amazing experience for me. I cannot even put it into words. The excitement, the joy, the support, the happiness that I felt from every runner and spectator on that course left me in tears more than once over those 13.1 miles. I made friends that weekend that I will cherish for the rest of my life. And I proved to myself that I am stronger than I ever thought I was!

Do Tink. Do the best you can do on that day and be happy with your accomplishment. You won't regret it.

Whohooo! You guys are the best! I am starting to feel a lot better about it. And maybe tonight ill even start to do a little packing.... Any So Cal people have packing advice for the temps out there?

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, thanks! I always forget about the email until I'm about to pick up the phone. :rotfl2:

How's the ankle doing? A little better I hope.

Thanks for asking! Just saw the PT yesteday. The ankle is doing fairly well. I haven't tested it over 4 miles yet but its doing good. I'm not terribly worried about it for the weekend. I think I'll stop by the PT tape booth and get taped up just to be on the safe side. My issue now is my sciatic is causing numbness in my foot after 2 miles of running. So now the PT has me working on my core hoping that will help with the sciatic issue. I"m sure the 11lbs I've gained since I hurt my ankle have something to do with this new issue. Ahhhh the life of a runner, right? Thats ok though. I've finally found the motivation I need to shed some of these extra pounds so that I can run with less injuries this year!

How are you doing? Are you ready for this?

Another Pep talk for you. I have Psoriatic arthritis and enteropathic arthritis. When I signed up for this race in June I'd come off a very difficult spring where my doctors threated to inject cortizone in both of my knees, and I took 3 rounds of steroids yet continued to run. The plan was to get me through to the fall and possibly send me to a university for a re-evaluation over the winter due to not knowing I had the PsA yet.

July came I was training for a full marathon after taking some down weeks with training as I pleased from May-June. My hips mid july started flaring. I went in begining of August and it was found my chest wall had lumps of inflammation too. I was put on another round of steroids. 4 weeks later I came back in breathing fine 10 days after comming of the steroids I'd run a 15 miler and a 7 miler in that time frame. When I came in I could not walk without extreme pain, evaluation was done and they couldnt figure out how I was walking let alone running like that. I had injections shot into my hips. 2 weeks later evaluation wasnt good but they held out hope. 2 more weeks Begining of October as I was going to start a build straight in the marathon the doctor puts me on another oral round of steroids. This round is declared a failure on October 6th 10 days before the marathon. My doctor had to pull me no only from the marathon but from running. Late November comes I am allowed to start running again another round of steroids. December comes we start prepping for a hospital to review my case to find out I probably had psoriasis. I have been evaluated and it was decided that was the missing piece.

I am going to tink with 2 months of training. My final long run will be sunday. I am not flaring my joints are out of remission. This means they are all inflammed: hips, knees, feet, back, chest cartilage, hands, etc. I was placed in the A corral for this race. My hope in june was to run a 1:55 a conservative PR but a time I was more than capable of. I have thrown that out the window if I get a good day I will run a 2:10 at this race :( close to my worst race ever, most likely I will run >2:20 my worst race ever. However I am thankful to be running again and instead of being defeated we are celebrating what will be my last race BB (before biologic treatment). The hope is when I come home the new treatment will allow for stability in my life again.

Run because you can run not because of time. Enjoy everymoment. A mile is a mile no matter how fast or slow. Know if you can run 11 you can do 13, and you are ready it is your nerves speaking otherwise. Go out have fun and realise best of all this is Disney. If you have to be slow somewhere this is the place because there will be so many things to see and enjoy. Not every race will be a PR it does not mean it is any less of a race. Often times it is the slowest times that are the greatest wins over the greatest battles.

Ditto 100% what every one else is saying. Ironically the running quote app quote I got today was from Ryan Hall and it said "suffering is an extraordinary coach." Don't look at the run like you aren't cut out for the distance look at it as a bad training run. They happen to everybody even the elites, it's what you can learn from you run that will make you a better runner. Look at what you did differently or maybe prepared differently for that run. This way you know how to fix it in the future.

As for not being there, I've been there but once you get to the park and the expo, you'll change your mind and feel it! :goodvibes And at the end of DTD right as we turn the corner, there will be tons and tons of red hat ladies cheering you on. There are people cheering you along DTD and the rest of the course, but they are the absolute best! You can't run by them and not get a smile on your face and get a surge of energy.

actually there is no more email for dining at DL, it's all online just like booking at WDW dining!

Ooohhh! Look at DL getting fancy like WDW now. :rotfl2: Good to know thanks!

Any So Cal people have packing advice for the temps out there?

I'm NorCal, but Thur weather popped up today and it's mid-70s and low of 50 got the morning. So as of now, I'm packing shorts and a sweatshirt, b/c it can get a little chilly at night. For the races, I'm going capris and short sleeves w/ a long sleeve pullover. But if it's like last year, the pullover was off by Mile 1.

Thanks for asking! Just saw the PT yesteday. The ankle is doing fairly well. I haven't tested it over 4 miles yet but its doing good. I'm not terribly worried about it for the weekend. I think I'll stop by the PT tape booth and get taped up just to be on the safe side. My issue now is my sciatic is causing numbness in my foot after 2 miles of running. So now the PT has me working on my core hoping that will help with the sciatic issue. I"m sure the 11lbs I've gained since I hurt my ankle have something to do with this new issue. Ahhhh the life of a runner, right? Thats ok though. I've finally found the motivation I need to shed some of these extra pounds so that I can run with less injuries this year!

How are you doing? Are you ready for this?

Yay! Glad the ankle is doing well. Thanks for the tape mention, I need to get some more. I think I'm ready for this, I'm doing a 3/5/15 run through this weekend. (I have LA in March that's why 15 and not 8) W/ everyone talking about WDW this weekend I'm getting excited for Tink to get here. :hyper:

dewingedpixie said:
Another Pep talk for you. I have Psoriatic arthritis and enteropathic arthritis. When I signed up for this race in June I'd come off a very difficult spring where my doctors threated to inject cortizone in both of my knees, and I took 3 rounds of steroids yet continued to run. The plan was to get me through to the fall and possibly send me to a university for a re-evaluation over the winter due to not knowing I had the PsA yet.

July came I was training for a full marathon after taking some down weeks with training as I pleased from May-June. My hips mid july started flaring. I went in begining of August and it was found my chest wall had lumps of inflammation too. I was put on another round of steroids. 4 weeks later I came back in breathing fine 10 days after comming of the steroids I'd run a 15 miler and a 7 miler in that time frame. When I came in I could not walk without extreme pain, evaluation was done and they couldnt figure out how I was walking let alone running like that. I had injections shot into my hips. 2 weeks later evaluation wasnt good but they held out hope. 2 more weeks Begining of October as I was going to start a build straight in the marathon the doctor puts me on another oral round of steroids. This round is declared a failure on October 6th 10 days before the marathon. My doctor had to pull me no only from the marathon but from running. Late November comes I am allowed to start running again another round of steroids. December comes we start prepping for a hospital to review my case to find out I probably had psoriasis. I have been evaluated and it was decided that was the missing piece.

I am going to tink with 2 months of training. My final long run will be sunday. I am not flaring my joints are out of remission. This means they are all inflammed: hips, knees, feet, back, chest cartilage, hands, etc. I was placed in the A corral for this race. My hope in june was to run a 1:55 a conservative PR but a time I was more than capable of. I have thrown that out the window if I get a good day I will run a 2:10 at this race :( close to my worst race ever, most likely I will run >2:20 my worst race ever. However I am thankful to be running again and instead of being defeated we are celebrating what will be my last race BB (before biologic treatment). The hope is when I come home the new treatment will allow for stability in my life again.

Run because you can run not because of time. Enjoy everymoment. A mile is a mile no matter how fast or slow. Know if you can run 11 you can do 13, and you are ready it is your nerves speaking otherwise. Go out have fun and realise best of all this is Disney. If you have to be slow somewhere this is the place because there will be so many things to see and enjoy. Not every race will be a PR it does not mean it is any less of a race. Often times it is the slowest times that are the greatest wins over the greatest battles.

Thanks dewingedpixie- I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time. Hopefully they will be able to help you soon. I am actually running "because I can" not for time, because I too have a "we can't figure out what's wrong with you" issue and four years ago I was scared I wouldn't be able to walk let alone ever run (or dance, my actual love) again. It's why I ran my first half- because I made a deal with myself when I was fighting back that as long as I COULD run, I WOULD run. So I definitely am not planning to stop running completely. I just didn't know if perhaps I should stop torturing myself w the half marathon distance. But I'm going to give it another shot. I'm going to be cautious with my fluids and I'm going to start sloooooow. And I'm going to remember while I run past that castle that this all started with a man who lost Oswald, and his animators, long before the park was even imagined.

Anyone mind if the 24 year old throw her pep talk hat in the ring? Eh.

Anyway fun story time. As I said I'm 24 now. But despite my age and being a college student (admittedly one that is taking time off for medical reasons, see below) most people would never guess that not only I am half marathon runner. But I am and could be classified as a veteran runner now I guess since the 2014 Tinkerbell will be my 15th half in 3 years. Or the fact that I've managed to run San Francisco easily classified as one of the toughest races out there (2 years back, admittedly thinner by about 50 something pounds).

Anyway story is. I weigh in around 270 currently (just for reference I should be 150-160 for my height), at my highest I was about 306. Getting prepped for bariatric surgery. Tinkerbell will be my last half before the surgery. Possibly my last race before it too. Depends on the scheduling and when the insurance comes through. If it comes through soon than I might be doing a 10k right before it.

I got started running when I was living in a weight loss clinic. I was showing some interest all ready at the time. But the half my friends were running was the weekend I was out of town. Long story short I was talking with a friend about how she wanted to do the New York City Marathon. At some point during this conversation it got in my head I wanted to do the New York City Marathon. Yeah still not quiet sure how that happened.

My first 10k was three days later. I heard the runnners in the group were doing it. They also had a 2 mile option. Well I all ready knew I could run a mile, and 2 miles felt to short so that's how I got signed up for a 10k with absolutely no training. I was the last person to finish in around 1:32 I think? I think I drove the police car behind me bonkers. Actually I know I did. He asked me if I wanted to get in saying that the course closed at an hour and a half. I told him I was going to get as far as I could in that time limit. By the time that time limit rolled around we were almost home and he just let me finish.

First marathon was Napa Valley. Not only did I twist my ankle. I twisted it to the point I was using a cane for support for almost three weeks after. Admittedly it wasn't your typical twist I went from walking normal to walking on the side of my foot. Thus why it was such a bad sprain. It only started to get better after a Physical Therapy regiment I went through last year (nearly a year after the injury) after I finally realized I needed outside help. Now adays its only sore if I stand up weird on it. And before anyone asks no I didn't stop running in that period. I ran/attemped another 4 marathons and ran another 9 halfs. Don't ask about my 5k, 10k count. I don't even know how many of those I ran let alone what year they were run in.

And the ankle is just the tip of the iceberg. I seem to have the occasional troubled training as I like to call them. There was this past month and the malaria medication where I couldn't walk without support. There was the time I got a septic infection in my foot (different foot from the sprained ankle) a month out from a race and missed all of my training because my foot felt like giant cottonball thanks to the pain meds I was on until the infection cleared. I missed the first two weeks because I couldn't wear a shoe because the site was healing and then the infection set in right when the stitches were supposed to come out and then I couldn't wear my tennis shoes because of a) the pain and b) my foot had swollen thanks to dermatitis. Story of my life. And this was also the race I was supposed to be pacing someone (a person who I had just met at the time at Disney World and has become an extremely close friend since then). Thankfully we both finished. Even if I hit the wall twice (heat and arch pain, are never a fun combination) after we had to split at a bathroom break.

Anyways story time is over. Sorry about the long rambling. Remember mile 10 is the all clear get there and you can walk home for all the people back home care (hell I did that at Dumbo when I hit the wall around 10.5, couldn't run another lick. Went from 16 min/miles to to 20 something min/miles, yes I finished). And if you see a 20-something looking a tad bit out of place in a field of runners (tends to happen but I'm more than used to it by now). Feel free to say hi!

I am not going to make the run. Is there anyway to push my registration to next year?

Ditto 100% what every one else is saying. Ironically the running quote app quote I got today was from Ryan Hall and it said "suffering is an extraordinary coach." Don't look at the run like you aren't cut out for the distance look at it as a bad training run. They happen to everybody even the elites, it's what you can learn from you run that will make you a better runner. Look at what you did differently or maybe prepared differently for that run. This way you know how to fix it in the future.

As for not being there, I've been there but once you get to the park and the expo, you'll change your mind and feel it! :goodvibes And at the end of DTD right as we turn the corner, there will be tons and tons of red hat ladies cheering you on. There are people cheering you along DTD and the rest of the course, but they are the absolute best! You can't run by them and not get a smile on your face and get a surge of energy.

Ooohhh! Look at DL getting fancy like WDW now. :rotfl2: Good to know thanks!

I'm NorCal, but Thur weather popped up today and it's mid-70s and low of 50 got the morning. So as of now, I'm packing shorts and a sweatshirt, b/c it can get a little chilly at night. For the races, I'm going capris and short sleeves w/ a long sleeve pullover. But if it's like last year, the pullover was off by Mile 1.

Yay! Glad the ankle is doing well. Thanks for the tape mention, I need to get some more. I think I'm ready for this, I'm doing a 3/5/15 run through this weekend. (I have LA in March that's why 15 and not 8) W/ everyone talking about WDW this weekend I'm getting excited for Tink to get here. :hyper:

Somehow I missed this yesterday. Thank you! I didn't know about the red hat ladies. I am used to disney races with long boring stretches of highway for miles..... Yeah, they have some on course entertainment but not local groups. That will be fun to see! Our 10k here last fall was like that and it was fun to run through college areas and downtown with spectators. Is there a lot of that's on the Tink course in Anaheim?

Question for you and anyone who does this. What do you do with your bib number when u where a long sleeve pullover over short sleeves? I know I'm going to want to run w long sleeves for at least a mile or two (looks like it will be 45-48 and dark for the 5-7am hours of the race), so how would I wear my number? On the ls and just take a moment to repin it to the tank later? I thought about wearing it on my shorts or skirt, but I've never done that and my shirts seem too long anyway. I'm not stopping for pics with characters but I wouldn't mind seeing the ones that they snap along the way. Advice?

Somehow I missed this yesterday. Thank you! I didn't know about the red hat ladies. I am used to disney races with long boring stretches of highway for miles..... Yeah, they have some on course entertainment but not local groups. That will be fun to see! Our 10k here last fall was like that and it was fun to run through college areas and downtown with spectators. Is there a lot of that's on the Tink course in Anaheim?

Question for you and anyone who does this. What do you do with your bib number when u where a long sleeve pullover over short sleeves? I know I'm going to want to run w long sleeves for at least a mile or two (looks like it will be 45-48 and dark for the 5-7am hours of the race), so how would I wear my number? On the ls and just take a moment to repin it to the tank later? I thought about wearing it on my shorts or skirt, but I've never done that and my shirts seem too long anyway. I'm not stopping for pics with characters but I wouldn't mind seeing the ones that they snap along the way. Advice?

Would you be interested in something like this? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...sporting,253&rh=i:sporting,k:race number belt

It's a race number belt. I bought one last summer, thinking of it as a bit of overkill - like, seriously, I'm not an elite athlete or even close to it -- but it's been great to have. I barely realize it is on and my shirts/skirts don't get pin holes, nor do I have to worry about remembering to take pins. It's also nice for times that I have to wear a pullover before the race starts - no need to wonder which layer to pin my bib on.

Would you be interested in something like this? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...sporting,253&rh=i:sporting,k:race number belt

It's a race number belt. I bought one last summer, thinking of it as a bit of overkill - like, seriously, I'm not an elite athlete or even close to it -- but it's been great to have. I barely realize it is on and my shirts/skirts don't get pin holes, nor do I have to worry about remembering to take pins. It's also nice for times that I have to wear a pullover before the race starts - no need to wonder which layer to pin my bib on.
I use race belts as well, it works great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter