Official 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

momto3gr8boys

DIS Veteran
I searched to see if this thread had been started and did not find one...so,

What: Tinker Bell Half Marathon

When: January 17-19, 2014

Where: Disneyland

I am planning to run, even though I have never run a half! Who else is in?

I hope to run this. I wanted to run it this year but it sold out before I could register so I signed up for Disneyland instead.

If I do this, I will do the WDW half the week before and vacation in the middle.

ME!! I'm in, I'm in!!! :yay:

Planning to do my coast-2-coast in 2014- Tink and Wine & Dine!! I'm already saving my pennies for all the costs in 2014, but it will be so worth it!!

I've never been to Disneyland, actually never even been to California, so this will be such an exciting trip!!

I am so ready to earn my wings!!!

I hope to run this. I wanted to run it this year but it sold out before I could register so I signed up for Disneyland instead.

If I do this, I will do the WDW half the week before and vacation in the middle.

Hi! There's a link on the run disney page where you can sign up for an email reminder for the open of registration in case you haven't seen it.

ME!! I'm in, I'm in!!! :yay:

Planning to do my coast-2-coast in 2014- Tink and Wine & Dine!! I'm already saving my pennies for all the costs in 2014, but it will be so worth it!!

I've never been to Disneyland, actually never even been to California, so this will be such an exciting trip!!

I am so ready to earn my wings!!!

This is my exact plan for 2014 too!! I also have never been to DL!

I'm in for the 5k and 1/2 again too.

:thumbsup2 When is the 5k?

When is the 5k?

If they keep it like this year, it'll be Sat. at 5:45. If they go back to the 1st year, it'll be late Fri. night. It starts right at the castle in DL and ends in DCA towards the back over by World of Color area.

I'm in.

I had planned to do coast2 coast with the wine and dine this year but just had to take that money and get a new car today. DH's ancient car died today and there was no reviving it.

On the bright side I have a new car, he took my 3 year old car. But I will miss a trip to the World in the fall.

Hi! There's a link on the run disney page where you can sign up for an email reminder for the open of registration in case you haven't seen it.

Thanks! Last year I was all set to register, and then needed my wisdom teeth out so my race $$ dissappeared. This year I hope to just register the day it opens and keep all of my teeth in my mouth :)

I'm in.

I had planned to do coast2 coast with the wine and dine this year but just had to take that money and get a new car today. DH's ancient car died today and there was no reviving it.

On the bright side I have a new car, he took my 3 year old car. But I will miss a trip to the World in the fall.

Thanks! Last year I was all set to register, and then needed my wisdom teeth out so my race $$ dissappeared. This year I hope to just register the day it opens and keep all of my teeth in my mouth :)

Hugs to both of you! Here's hoping all those pesky real life unexpected expenses don't interfere with your goals for next year!

How do you all train? I am new to running. I always wanted to run, just never did. I think I used to just try to go out and run too far and too fast and never built up slowly (I have a bad back - two disintegrating discs in my L4 and L5), so my back would go and I would give up. But this time has been different. I started the Couch to the 5k just before Christmas, and finally found a way I could do this right. Today (I'm on the last week - W9D1) I ran 3.5 miles in 42 minutes (counting a 5 min. warm-up and cool down) and it felt great!

But as I am nearing the end of my C25k program (only two days left on it), I am left wondering where to go from here. I had begun to adapt Jeff Galloway's walk/run method into it and am doing 3 min. run/1 min. walk.

Should I just continue to increase my time? I was just wondering what other people's schedules looked like. I run three times a week and am planning on adding in a few yoga classes a week (took one last week, just need to work it into the schedule).

How do you all train? I am new to running. I always wanted to run, just never did. I think I used to just try to go out and run too far and too fast and never built up slowly (I have a bad back - two disintegrating discs in my L4 and L5), so my back would go and I would give up. But this time has been different. I started the Couch to the 5k just before Christmas, and finally found a way I could do this right. Today (I'm on the last week - W9D1) I ran 3.5 miles in 42 minutes (counting a 5 min. warm-up and cool down) and it felt great!

But as I am nearing the end of my C25k program (only two days left on it), I am left wondering where to go from here. I had begun to adapt Jeff Galloway's walk/run method into it and am doing 3 min. run/1 min. walk.

Should I just continue to increase my time? I was just wondering what other people's schedules looked like. I run three times a week and am planning on adding in a few yoga classes a week (took one last week, just need to work it into the schedule).

For me, all those plans are too rigid, so I just kind of do my own thing, I adapt some of what Jeff Galloway says and do it my way. On my long run, I usually warm up 3-5 min walk, run as much as I can at my even pace, then take walk breaks as needed. It works for me, my mom calls it the "Run Forrest Run" method :)

My week, in general, although the last couple weeks have been a little "off":
Monday- rest
Tuesday- light run (30 minutes max)
Wednesday- Zumba (but this might be changing into a different routine)
Thursday- Yoga (if the weather will ever let me get there LOL)
Friday- swimming (although I might be changing this into another light run)
Saturday- rest
Sunday- long run

Like I said, its kinda in flux right now, things are changing, I am adapting my routines. Really hoping to find something for Mondays, I think the Y had a turbo-kick I might check out at some point.

Right now my long run is up to 6 miles- but I am training for a 10K for St. Paddy's day, and I have a half-marathon in August.

I'm 50 and still quite a bit overweight, have had a spinal fusion and have asthma. I started running June 24 2012 using Jeff Galloways programs. Joined a Galloway running group in November and ran/walk/ran the Tinker Bell half in January. I finished in the upright position, never saw the balloon ladies and enjoyed the parks after the race. :dance3:

Jeff has several programs available but not alot of support on the cross training non running days.

I am running the Nike DC womens half marathon in April :cheer2: and downloaded their half marathon training program and the Nike training club app to my phone and am using that for training. I still do the Galloway for my runs but am really seing a big difference having a personal trainer in my phone for the cross training portion.

I do better if I have something planned out that holds me accountable and I like seeing the "rewards" and pats on the back I get from the NTC and running app.

Look around, there are tons of different programs out there. Hope you find one that clicks with you. Looking forward to running next year with you.

I have NEVER been in any race before, ever! But I really want to do the 5k & the 1/2 if I could qualify.

Do husbands do the 5k?

If they are both on the same day, as a non-runner (as of now) I could not do both.

Advice? Ideas? Hints? HELP LOL?

Ok - I signed up for the email alert. I really think I want to do this. Major props for indygirl99 for inspiration :-)

I have NEVER been in any race before, ever! But I really want to do the 5k & the 1/2 if I could qualify.

Do husbands do the 5k?

If they are both on the same day, as a non-runner (as of now) I could not do both.

Advice? Ideas? Hints? HELP LOL?

Reg should open in June or July like last year. You mentioned that you signed up for the email alerts, but make sure to reg as soon as possible. Last year it sold out in a month, the DL 1/2 sold out a few weeks ago in 1 day!

You can do both the 5k and the 1/2!! I do and it's so much fun. The 5k is Sat at 5:45 am and the 1/2 is Sun at 5am, if they keep the times like last year. The 5k is entirely in both parks and back stage, the 1/2 is around the parks, in the parks and then around Anaheim. The 5k is a fun run where there is no time chip, but they have times at the mile markers and the finish. As long as you're moving forward and not dawdling, you won't get swept. If you are going to do both, go easy on the 5k that way you're not too tired for the 1/2. :goodvibes It's also a good way to take pics in the park w/ the characters and that way you don't have to carry a camera during the 1/2. They have mostly bands and cheerleaders outside of the parks, but no characters.

The 1/2 has a 16min time limit/3:30 overall, and the time starts when the last person crosses the start line. They have different points along the course where they have sweepers. You're corral is based on the time you think it'll take you to finish. You can submit any time you'd like, but if it's under 2:45, you need proof from a previous race over 6 miles. You submit a time when you reg, and if you run a faster time before the race there's a time period when you can submit it to move up. You can also do this at the expo.

As for your husband, he can actually do both! W/ the 1/2, the closest corral he could be placed in, regardless of time, is in C (he submits time just like everyone else). That's mostly b/c the race is geared towards women. I think there were 1,300 men that ran this year. But if he does do the 1/2, make sure he checks the t-shirt w/ the unisex/men's sizes, they have both.

Hope that helps a bit!

Reg should open in June or July like last year. You mentioned that you signed up for the email alerts, but make sure to reg as soon as possible. Last year it sold out in a month, the DL 1/2 sold out a few weeks ago in 1 day!

You can do both the 5k and the 1/2!! I do and it's so much fun. The 5k is Sat at 5:45 am and the 1/2 is Sun at 5am, if they keep the times like last year. The 5k is entirely in both parks and back stage, the 1/2 is around the parks, in the parks and then around Anaheim. The 5k is a fun run where there is no time chip, but they have times at the mile markers and the finish. As long as you're moving forward and not dawdling, you won't get swept. If you are going to do both, go easy on the 5k that way you're not too tired for the 1/2. :goodvibes It's also a good way to take pics in the park w/ the characters and that way you don't have to carry a camera during the 1/2. They have mostly bands and cheerleaders outside of the parks, but no characters.

The 1/2 has a 16min time limit/3:30 overall, and the time starts when the last person crosses the start line. They have different points along the course where they have sweepers. You're corral is based on the time you think it'll take you to finish. You can submit any time you'd like, but if it's under 2:45, you need proof from a previous race over 6 miles. You submit a time when you reg, and if you run a faster time before the race there's a time period when you can submit it to move up. You can also do this at the expo.

As for your husband, he can actually do both! W/ the 1/2, the closest corral he could be placed in, regardless of time, is in C (he submits time just like everyone else). That's mostly b/c the race is geared towards women. I think there were 1,300 men that ran this year. But if he does do the 1/2, make sure he checks the t-shirt w/ the unisex/men's sizes, they have both.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thank you. That helps a lot! My husband would only do the 5k.

You said the DL one sold out a few weeks ago in one day. That is the one I was considering - Tinker Bell in Jan. I think I am confused now. I thought that was the DL one & reg opened in June or July.

I don't wanna get sweept :sad: I am hoping that I will be ok by Jan to do it & have enough time by then to get my time down. I just want to finish :cool1:

So - could a COMPLETE non-runner be ready to go by Jan & finish? I don't want to get excited about something that I can't do. I am NOT an athlete. Nor a runner. But I am competitive :thumbsup2 & I really do want to do this.

Like I said, I am not looking to get some great time or anything. Just to be able to complete it & not get swept :scared:

Thanks so much.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

DVC Daisy said:

You said the DL one sold out a few weeks ago in one day. That is the one I was considering - Tinker Bell in Jan. I think I am confused now. I thought that was the DL one & reg opened in June or July.

I don't wanna get sweept :sad: I am hoping that I will be ok by Jan to do it & have enough time by then to get my time down. I just want to finish :cool1:

So - could a COMPLETE non-runner be ready to go by Jan & finish? I don't want to get excited about something that I can't do. I am NOT an athlete. Nor a runner. But I am competitive :thumbsup2 & I really do want to do this.

Like I said, I am not looking to get some great time or anything. Just to be able to complete it & not get swept :scared:

Thanks so much.

Disneyland has two race weekends- the Disneyland half marathon over Labor Day weekend and the tinker bell half in January. The Disneyland half sold out in one day a few weeks ago. Registration for the tinker bell half opens in July. Hope that helps!

And you can totally so it! I went from non runner to finishing the tower of terror 10 miler in 8 months, it's completely doable.

DVC Daisy said:

Thanks so much.

I think you can do it! 9 weeks ago I was a complete non-runner and I'm up to 3.5 miles now and it's not that hard. There is plenty of time between now and when registration opens. Start now and see how you feel in a few months. If training is going well and you enjoy it you will be fine. Have you started any running program yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter