Official 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

Been meaning to post since Wine and Dine but have been busy with medical stuff. I've managed one run since then. It was supposed to be 3 miles, I had stop at 1.3 because my legs were so shaky. On the bright side it was mostly on pace, if a tad slow. But that was more because of the fact that I had a phlebotomy just a week back.

Wine and Dine went extremely well. First under 4:00 half I've run in years. And it was the first half where my running intervals greatly exceeted my walking intervals. At my last 10k I had noticed that I was starting to see the signs of being able to hold the run intervals for a longer period of time. So I decided to test it there. And it went well, maybe too well. I think I may have run my fastest 5k (I seem to run my fastest splits in longer races for some reason and I know I'm not supposed too, my fastest half time is from a marathon I kid you not). Also learned it takes about a half mile for me to get warmed up enough to do the sustained run.

I ended up with a time for 3:40. Not what I was aiming for at all but still a lot faster than what I've run in a long time so it works. I thought I might get in in under 3:30 actually until the last mile. I went for a slightly too long walk break. And went to switch back to running. And my legs let me know exactly what they thought of that plan.

So Tinkerbell is going to be a whole new monster for me. Since I will be tackling my running a bit differently from here on out once my legs have recovered enough.

What's going to be really fun. Is starting the day before Thanksgiving I am traveling to India for a friend's wedding. It's a two week trip (with a nearly a week of it in London, I can't wait to go running there). So that is going to make training interesting. That and I am spending another portion of the training in Chile where it's summer. This is going to be an interesting last two months.

Need some training advice so I thought I'd ask you guys since you feel the same way I do about Tink!
I have tendonitis right now thanks to a nasty roll of the ankle back in September. I saw the PT again today and I'm making good progress. She thinks when she sees me next on 12/5 that she'll let me start running after that. So lets call that the first day of my training.

How should my training plan look after that? It basically leaves me with 6 weeks to train for Tink. I am registered for the 10K and the half. I am going to admit defeat and figure that I'm walking the half, if not selling my bib. But I want the medal so lets just assume its a walk. I want to run as much of the half as I can but I've never trained with such a short turn around time. My last run was one mille back in late October. I did the Nike Half on 10/20 and finished in 3:06 to give you an idea of where I'm at. I've been riding the bike for cardio and doing walks of 1-3 miles as well. I know the PT is gonna want me to start off with some crazy conservative intervals (last time it was run 1;walk 3) but I don't think I can be that conservative right now.

How would you guys go about training for Tink with this type of timeline?
TIA!

Is anyone else running on Turkey Day? This is my second annual Turkey Trot here in Houston. I kinda like the tradition.
I can't believe it's only 61 days away. Wowza. Time flies!

If you're planning any special meals for the nights before the half, we're at 60 days out, so Disney Dining is now taking reservations. Reservations for Sunday night after the half will open up as of tomorrow.

I've booked the chef's counter at Napa Rose for the Friday night before the half, and am really looking forward to it. Perhaps not a traditional pre-race meal, but needed a special occasion to justify it... :)

Need some training advice so I thought I'd ask you guys since you feel the same way I do about Tink!
I have tendonitis right now thanks to a nasty roll of the ankle back in September. I saw the PT again today and I'm making good progress. She thinks when she sees me next on 12/5 that she'll let me start running after that. So lets call that the first day of my training.

How should my training plan look after that? It basically leaves me with 6 weeks to train for Tink. I am registered for the 10K and the half. I am going to admit defeat and figure that I'm walking the half, if not selling my bib. But I want the medal so lets just assume its a walk. I want to run as much of the half as I can but I've never trained with such a short turn around time. My last run was one mille back in late October. I did the Nike Half on 10/20 and finished in 3:06 to give you an idea of where I'm at. I've been riding the bike for cardio and doing walks of 1-3 miles as well. I know the PT is gonna want me to start off with some crazy conservative intervals (last time it was run 1;walk 3) but I don't think I can be that conservative right now.

TIA!

This is the training schedule I would suggest:

Week Miles Type
1......8.......Build-up
2......9.......Build-up
3......10......Build-up
4......7.......Step-back
5......12......Build-up
6......6.......Taper

The minimum training distance to successfully complete a half is 8 miles. Since you just completed Nike you still have a goof base. The key to a short training plan is to complete every workout including your midweeks. You should be doing at least three runs during the week. Since you are still recovering you should not do any speed workouts. Also, since the schedule is aggressive I would make one of the midweeks a longer workout (5-6 miles) than a normal 45 minutes.

Also, keep in mind that the long workouts have nothing to do with speed so don't worry about the pace. Time on the feet is what matters.

I'm new to this thread, and FILLED with nerves. If talked about and I missed, sorry. But when do they sweep? Like what miles does it start at? Trying to make a game since my time wasn't taken for a better corral. (Emailed too late)

Like others have said the sweepers start after the last person crosses the start line which is normally Jeff Galloway and he takes his time so he is not right behind the last runner/walker.

A group of my friends were passed by the sweepers when they were in the parks, but they sped up once the got to Downtown Disney and passed the sweepers. I don't think they will pull you in the parks unless you are way behind the sweepers.

They have cyclist that stop at each mile marker and let runners know how far ahead of the sweepers they are. If you don't see any of the cyclist you are fine.

This is the training schedule I would suggest:

Week Miles Type
1......8.......Build-up
2......9.......Build-up
3......10......Build-up
4......7.......Step-back
5......12......Build-up
6......6.......Taper

The minimum training distance to successfully complete a half is 8 miles. Since you just completed Nike you still have a goof base. The key to a short training plan is to complete every workout including your midweeks. You should be doing at least three runs during the week. Since you are still recovering you should not do any speed workouts. Also, since the schedule is aggressive I would make one of the midweeks a longer workout (5-6 miles) than a normal 45 minutes.

Also, keep in mind that the long workouts have nothing to do with speed so don't worry about the pace. Time on the feet is what matters.

Jeff - I can't thank you enough for this! Its exactly what I needed. I'm printing it out and putting it on the fridge. I think its going to work perfectly!

So thrilled to be able to come out of lurking and officially be a part of this thread! My husband gave the OK for the Tinker Bell half so I just booked through a travel operator! I'm doing the 10K and the half and staying at the Disneyland hotel. I'm also doing the GSC so pink and purple coast to coast for me!
Opinions please: I am doing the 10K and half and am really eyeing the 5k since most of it is in the theme parks. Is it worth it to add it?!
So happy to be joining y'all!

Is anyone else running on Turkey Day? This is my second annual Turkey Trot here in Houston. I kinda like the tradition.

Which Turkey Trot are you doing zendisney? I'm on the southeast side so I usually do a smaller local one.

So thrilled to be able to come out of lurking and officially be a part of this thread! My husband gave the OK for the Tinker Bell half so I just booked through a travel operator! I'm doing the 10K and the half and staying at the Disneyland hotel. I'm also doing the GSC so pink and purple coast to coast for me!
Opinions please: I am doing the 10K and half and am really eyeing the 5k since most of it is in the theme parks. Is it worth it to add it?!

We are doing the 10K and Half at Tink then the 5K, 10K and half at Princess.

I'm doing the 5k. The Tink one is my fave b/c aside from the cross over to DCA, it really is all in the parks, w/ the start line at the castle unless it changes this year. I just take my time on the 5k and just really enjoy the parks and the backstage area. I remember last year I finished and was heading out of DCA just as the sun was starting to hit the back of the rocks in Cars Land; it was so pretty. For me, that's one of the best parts ~ you get to experience the parks when they're quiet, except for the runners, and the sun hitting the parks in a way you wouldn't normally see. But I'm a total DL nerd and like that kind of stuff. :goodvibes

Since ADRs are open if anyone wants to meet up for dinner on Friday pre-race like last year I wouldn't mind setting up a reservation if people are interested.

I'm doing the 5k. The Tink one is my fave b/c aside from the cross over to DCA, it really is all in the parks, w/ the start line at the castle unless it changes this year. I just take my time on the 5k and just really enjoy the parks and the backstage area. I remember last year I finished and was heading out of DCA just as the sun was starting to hit the back of the rocks in Cars Land; it was so pretty. For me, that's one of the best parts ~ you get to experience the parks when they're quiet, except for the runners, and the sun hitting the parks in a way you wouldn't normally see. But I'm a total DL nerd and like that kind of stuff. :goodvibes

Since ADRs are open if anyone wants to meet up for dinner on Friday pre-race like last year I wouldn't mind setting up a reservation if people are interested.

I might be interested depending on where we meet up for dinner. And what time.

On the subject of ADRs. Particularly pertaining to pre-race night. If you aren't going to the Pasta Party and unless you really like the italian places in the park I know of a good italian restaurant that's about a mile from the resort, Carolina's. And they deliver. They give you huge portions so carbo loading isn't a problem there. My Mom and I usually will at least get delivery once a trip when were in town. Hell I've gotten it multiple times in the same trip that's how much I like it. Their teramisu is too die for, and this is coming from a person who will not touch the stuff with a ten foot pole normally. Good pricing too most meals are about 10-15 bucks and include bread and salad (well maybe not on delivery but in-dining yes).

Website is here: http://www.carolinasitalianrestaurant.com/

It's not gigantic though. So if you are getting food from there, either get there fairly early before it gets too crazy, get the afore mentioned delivery (they have a huge delivery radius), or get take out.

On the topic or runs. No turkey trot for me this year. My flight to London leaves New York Thanksgiving morning. But I will probably go for a nice run through Hyde Park on the Saturday after. So it all works.

I think I need to go poke my trainer again. Because I messaged him on Saturday after the bad run to change my schedule to cut the miles until I was recovered. And he still hasn't which is problem since he has me down for a double run on Saturday. And while I am feeling better I don't think I am up to that point.

So it's been a weird week. I missed my Monday run because I was just too damn tired and getting three vaccines yesterday made any chance of doing my Monday run on Tuesday go flying out the window. At least tonight's run went normally. Still feeling a bit odd but not nearly as bad as Saturday. And it was almost back to normal pace. I still need to figure out what the speed on the threadmill is equal to my normal outdoor running pace since I'm extending my run intervals to half mile runs to a tenth mile walk. But I'm getting there.

Welcome!!!! I'm also doing the 10K and the half. I have not done the 5K but based on what I've heard, I would totally do it if I was going to be in town already. I love the race park time. You're already paying for the trip to get down there so why not add teh 5K? Take it easy, maybe walk it. Just enjoy it.

Welcome!!!! I'm also doing the 10K and the half. I have not done the 5K but based on what I've heard, I would totally do it if I was going to be in town already. I love the race park time. You're already paying for the trip to get down there so why not add teh 5K? Take it easy, maybe walk it. Just enjoy it.

Lol, you convinced me! Why wouldn't I want to do it?!
I have my first marathon Dec. 8 so I will probably take a week off completely after it and then do a 6 miler one week and 8 the next and a 10 after just to make sure my legs don't forget how to run long distances.
Yay! It's real now!:lovestruc

Raw Threads is having a pre black friday sale tomorrow from midnight to midnight est starting tonight!! Some disney shirts are in there ~ Capt. Hook, Little Mermaid, some DDD and Castle 2 Castle shirts, there were more that's all I could remember. It didn't say you needed a coupon code, just put it in the cart and it'll take 50% off!!!!

I'm doing a Thanksgiving day 10k. Looks like it will be 18-20 degrees at the start. I'm not looking forward to that!

TIA!

I'd go slow. I think what your plan looks like will really depend on what your PT says. But, I'm guessing you'll still be able to do 5-7 since your half was a month ago. (I have long runs on Sunday, hence the dates I used. I just pulled them from my schedule.)

December 8 - 6
December 15 - 7
December 22 - 8
December 29 - 9
Jan 5 - 10
Jan 12 - 5

I'm not sure. That doesn't look quite right. You could do 8/cutback or 9/cutback. And always do your 10 miler on Jan 12. Hal Higdons plan has you running 10 miles 1 week before the half, not all plans include a taper.

Good luck!

Raw Threads is having a pre black friday sale tomorrow from midnight to midnight est starting tonight!! Some disney shirts are in there ~ Capt. Hook, Little Mermaid, some DDD and Castle 2 Castle shirts, there were more that's all I could remember. It didn't say you needed a coupon code, just put it in the cart and it'll take 50% off!!!!

I love a good sale! Thanks!

Kim,
Count me in for dinner. :)

How did you do with the winds last night? It was pretty bad here.

I'd go slow. I think what your plan looks like will really depend on what your PT says. But, I'm guessing you'll still be able to do 5-7 since your half was a month ago. (I have long runs on Sunday, hence the dates I used. I just pulled them from my schedule.)

December 8 - 6
December 15 - 7
December 22 - 8
December 29 - 9
Jan 5 - 10
Jan 12 - 5

I'm not sure. That doesn't look quite right. You could do 8/cutback or 9/cutback. And always do your 10 miler on Jan 12. Hal Higdons plan has you running 10 miles 1 week before the half, not all plans include a taper.

Good luck!

Thank you!
I definitely want a taper week in there. Especially with the 10K the day before the half. Dec 8 I'm doing a 5K in the am so I"m gonna break that run up into 2 runs.

Just finished 9.5!

I needed some confidence after a really crummy training month, and even though I am definitely sore, I am feeling SO much better mentally. I feel like I can do this for the first time in a while! Yeah!

Off to find some compression socks or leg sleeves. Are the Zensah ones the way to go? I actually have socks I like quite a bit, so I'm leaning more toward sleeves than socks, but I'd welcome any suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter