Official 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

Im officially doing the 10k and the 1/2! Yay! I am coming off a lower back injury that is still healing, so I'm taking the training easy. Managed a short run today in the pouring rain. After 10 mins of being home the sun came out.

They did have a special at DL half that allowed you to register for 2014 DL half but it was through get travel and required rooms

They might do that for tink but who knows?

I've been wading through this board, and this is my first post. I am new to the boards and this will be my first Disney race. Have been a huge Disney fan, but now that DS is older - it's not high on the vacation list. The half is a great excuse to go back to Disney!

This will be my second half - I ran my first half in Thailand last February and haven't done a running race since. I don't think it could get any worse than Thailand for heat and humidity, so I think I should be okay - just need to get all my runs in. We have a 10 km called the Turkey Trot on thanksgiving, I might give that one a try to get these running legs back (October 11). I've been paddling all summer and have neglected my running.

Welcome! I'm in Vancouver as well. Is it the Granville Island Turkey Trot you're thinking of doing (it's October 14 this year), or another one? I'll be running it; in fact, that's the race I used last year for my proof-of-time for the Disney Princess Half Marathon; it's such a nice, relatively flat, fast course.

I haven't been on this thread for a while, but I'm jumping in ;)

I'm curious what time people typically wake up (assuming you can sleep) for the race?

Also, can anyone tell me anything about the Chear Squad? Is it worth it and if so, what level? The website isn't helping me much! :confused3

I had my alarm set for 3:30 last year but I was awake (nerves) at 3:00 so I just got up then. I was staying at the Hojo so I had a solid 20 minute walk over to the corrals. Getting up around 3:00 was plenty of time for me.

Usually around 3, 3:30 at the latest but usually I am on property at the Disneyland Hotel which is right next to the start. I have no clue what I am going to do this year since we don't have a hotel on property (surgery problems, and by the time I realized it might be a good time to book the hotel as backup DLH was full, keeping fingers crossed that something becomes available its happened to us before). Also the type that has everything laid out and ready to go the night before. So I am pretty quick getting ready in the morning (usually it takes me about 30 minutes to throw everything on and then another 20 to eat).

Well since the 5k and 10k are on different days. And they haven't created a two race challenge for Tinkerbell yet I am hoping that the expo won't be as crazy. I am planning to go pick up everything on Day 1 so I have everything in the rize size unless for some reason it is like the DLR expo. And then I will probably wait a day. Unless their offering early registration for the DLR Half/DDD again. Than I'll be right their in the craziness getting my registration in. Early registration last year saved me a headache when it opened to the public for regular attendees. And considering I am planning to return for Dumbo next year, yeah I need to see if I can register for next year at Tink.

Did you try GET travel? PPH was sold out online but I was still able to get a room through GET.

I've been wading through this board, and this is my first post. I am new to the boards and this will be my first Disney race. Have been a huge Disney fan, but now that DS is older - it's not high on the vacation list. The half is a great excuse to go back to Disney!

This will be my second half - I ran my first half in Thailand last February and haven't done a running race since. I don't think it could get any worse than Thailand for heat and humidity, so I think I should be okay - just need to get all my runs in. We have a 10 km called the Turkey Trot on thanksgiving, I might give that one a try to get these running legs back (October 11). I've been paddling all summer and have neglected my running.

I'm on post 191 - so I reading forward and getting to know you all. Happy to be here and looking forward to learning hints and tips.

Welcome!!!!

I just talked to someone at Get Travel. They still have slots for the 10k and 1/2. However, I'm dying to get a slot for the kids' race -- any suggestions on how I may possibly be able to do that? My poor kid is going to be so sad :(

They did have a special at DL half that allowed you to register for 2014 DL half but it was through get travel and required rooms

They might do that for tink but who knows?

I remember reading that~and wondered if that is something they do at each event. Sounds like a no...but maybe it will happen....we will wait an d see :thumbsup2
This way if I sign up for the half a year in advance....then I cant chicken out!

Welcome! I'm in Vancouver as well. Is it the Granville Island Turkey Trot you're thinking of doing (it's October 14 this year), or another one? I'll be running it; in fact, that's the race I used last year for my proof-of-time for the Disney Princess Half Marathon; it's such a nice, relatively flat, fast course.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Orcagirl - I saw that I posted the wrong date after I wrote it! Yeesh - I was thinking that if I needed a time, that was going to be a great race to do - good cause too! I'm participating in a canoe race on the 12th at the Cranberry Festival in Ft Langley, so the Turkey Trot fits right in. I'm a slow runner - so it will be interesting to see my results after not racing/training for over a year. Just pray for sun - I didn't get running yesterday because of the rain.

I'm in Alaska for the next three days - packing the gear and shoes...no excuses right? I hear there is snow up there already!

I had my alarm set for 3:30 last year but I was awake (nerves) at 3:00 so I just got up then. I was staying at the Hojo so I had a solid 20 minute walk over to the corrals. Getting up around 3:00 was plenty of time for me.

Did you try GET travel? PPH was sold out online but I was still able to get a room through GET.

Welcome!!!!

I know they have rooms still available but I am reluctant to bring it up to my Dad who is in charge of booking everything for two reasons. 1) My parents hate booking through an outside source and 2) the earlier deadline to have everything paid off. Dad was okay with booking normally because we had up until a few days before to cancel if we needed to. Can't do that with Get Travel, have to decide in December. And with everything happening I'm not sure we could make that commitment. Ah well we've stayed at the Marriott Convention Center before for the race. Maybe if I am not post-op we'll stay there if nothing opens up.

Just saw the note on corral changes last date to do is November. Which sent me off to a corner pouting. Late to the game on that one but I was hoping to get a 10k in sometime in early December to maybe move up a corral. Now I really have to try for my first 10k PR (which would be a sub 1:22 which is faster than I've been running) in a couple of years in October. Just frustrates me that two whole months of racing is blocked out from corral changes. I can get disallowing it at the expo. But why November? :confused3

Ah yes. Totally understand. I always get nervous without the 48 hour cancelaltion policy too but decided to suck it up and just trust that I'll make the trip!

Good luck with your 10K in October! I hope you're able to PR!!!

Question thats not Tink related, but it is running related.
With winter fast approaching I want to buy a treadmill for our garage. I'm a scardey cat and hate running in the dark outside. For those of you that own one, what are your thoughts on new vs used treadmills? Obvisouly I'm on a budget and theres a million treadmills for sale on craigslist around here. Would you personally consider buying a used one or would you want to definitely stick to a new one with a warranty? Any brands you would/would not recommend? Im gonna cross post this on the tink thread on the Disneyland board too.

Question thats not Tink related, but it is running related.
With winter fast approaching I want to buy a treadmill for our garage. I'm a scardey cat and hate running in the dark outside. For those of you that own one, what are your thoughts on new vs used treadmills? Obvisouly I'm on a budget and theres a million treadmills for sale on craigslist around here. Would you personally consider buying a used one or would you want to definitely stick to a new one with a warranty? Any brands you would/would not recommend? Im gonna cross post this on the tink thread on the Disneyland board too.

I did the majority of my training for the PHM and DL half on a nordictrak TM that is now 3 years old. I would say if you buy an used one to try it out first...yup...actually take your shoes with you and run on it to get a good feel. My TM has a shock absorbing deck so it doesn't sound like a freight train when I run. Another good feature of a more recent TM like mine is you can plug your iPod into the speakers and/or download training programs if you have wifi at home. I did get mine at sears for a really, really good price so check there too.

Good luck!

My 10k I signed up for in 2 weeks is chipped but not usatf : /

Do I use my SLOW time of 1.27 10k DL... Try for getting non USATF approved. Or just not worry and start last corral

Do I use my SLOW time of 1.27 10k DL... Try for getting non USATF approved. Or just not worry and start last corral

I wouldn't worry about it being USATF-approved. As long as there's some proof of time (e.g. a website with results posted), it'll be fine.

Erin

1MCSCROOGE said:

I don't think it has to be USATF approved. Just a real 10k or longer distance with reportable results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter