Official 2014 Sochi Olympic Winter Games thread!

So far the closing ceremonies are just SO beautiful!! And they got that final ring to open- who says Russians don't have a sense of humour?

And a final tip of the hat ( touque??) to CBC. Fantastic coverage of the games as usual.

Anyone else watching the Nancy/Tonya special? Hard to believe that was 20 years ago. Nancy looks pretty good :)

Two things...I wish the guys talking over the coverage of closing ceremonies would shut up. It's one thing to talk when nothing is happening, but to talk OVER the announcers at the stadium is maddening.

The other thing is, for those who thought Sochi was ill-prepared for the start of the games with their missing light bulbs, unfinished hotels and sidewalks etc...you are in for a RUDE awakening in Peyongchang in 2018. The Special Olympics had their world winter games there last year and it was desperately awful. A pot hole in a dirt road.

So Russia can make three gigantic animatronic (and terrifying) mascots, but Disney can't make the yeti work.

I thought that the Russians did a nice job. I know that I didn't see the unfinished stuff and the depressing surroundings and sometimes poor conditions but it looked good from the perspective of a tv viewer.

Does anyone else feel sad when it's over?

I'm just catching up on the Closing Ceremony here. Our commentators are blissfully balanced in their commentary and silent moments. Looks like a fantastic showcase of Russia culture tonight.

I've loved all the action and the spectacle of the sport over the last 16 days.
I'm going to miss being able to count on having the Games on as a reliable fallback from "normal" television programming.

I gotta say, I LOVED those huge animatronic mascots! They were so cute!! And when the bear blew out the torch and shed a tear...wow!

Maybe Disney can buy the polar bear off of them and use it to replace the Yeti in Expedition Everest. :rolleyes1

Just one last thought--despite the controversy surrounding her gold medal, I was happy for Adelina of Russia that she came out and skated so well and became a hero to her country. I thought the Russian Olympic Federation really cheated her by not making her part of the team competition, opting for the 15yo and forgetting all about their national champion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter