Official 2014 Sochi Olympic Winter Games thread!

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
It's just round the corner! Thought I'd give us rabid Olympic fans a place to go to discuss all things Olympic winter games. I admit...I bleed red, white, and blue every two years when we get another Olympics. That, and I become an armchair "expert" in sports I've never even attempted ("you call that a Salchow??") :lmao:

So here are some things to get the ball rolling...

Anyone else concerned about security at the games, especially during the opening ceremonies? With the recent terrorist attacks and subsequent threats to Russia, I have to admit I'm very worried about safety. The poor athletes having to gauge whether to participate in the ceremonies (an experience of a lifetime) or skip it out of fear. Ugh!

Lindsey Vonn's knee. I have a feeling we might see a spectacular breakdown on course. I hope I'm wrong.

What things are YOU watching for? What's your favorite sport?

Well, thank God you mentioned it already.

Yes, I am BEYOND excited. :thumbsup2 Always am. But I do have this pit in my stomach feeling around it all. And I didn't want to be all negative on your thread. ;)

Hopefully, all goes well. I just love the Olympics. Such wonderful memories. And such a marker of time!

We were standing in a line for three hours at the Vancouver Olympics to pick up some tickets and were chatting with a lady and her mother, who were also picking up tickets. It seemed that the lady was with a US government team that was in charge of providing security for the American athletes. Over 150 protest groups were expected to show up in Vancouver and she was constantly getting calls about this and that. After one call she started laughing and told us that there had been a report of a protest group marching down the street toward the Olympic flame, but it turned out to be a group of elderly Japanese ladies who couldn't find their tour bus, so they were walking around, clapping and singing. She said she wished all the problems were that simple.

I am truly worried about the security of the upcoming Olympics. I hope and pray that everyone will be safe.

And like you, I consider myself quite the authority on things that I never have and never will do, based on the number of hours I have had my buttkus parked on the couch, yelling at the judges, referees and authorities, since I *apparently* know more than they do...hmmmmph. At least the bad old days of "bloc judging" is largely over ("OK, we'll give Tatiana and Sergei a 10 in ice dancing if you give Katrinka and Hans a 10 in pairs....)

I have so many favourites. But for some reason I just absolutely ADORE short track speed skating. :rotfl2:

I can hear "READY?", already. :goodvibes

It's just round the corner! Thought I'd give us rabid Olympic fans a place to go to discuss all things Olympic winter games. I admit...I bleed red, white, and blue every two years when we get another Olympics. That, and I become an armchair "expert" in sports I've never even attempted ("you call that a Salchow??") :lmao: So here are some things to get the ball rolling... Anyone else concerned about security at the games, especially during the opening ceremonies? With the recent terrorist attacks and subsequent threats to Russia, I have to admit I'm very worried about safety. The poor athletes having to gauge whether to participate in the ceremonies (an experience of a lifetime) or skip it out of fear. Ugh! Lindsey Vonn's knee. I have a feeling we might see a spectacular breakdown on course. I hope I'm wrong. What things are YOU watching for? What's your favorite sport?

I'm so excited! I love the winter games. I can't wait to see Canada dominate in hockey yet again.

Ive been glued to the trials every weekend. Watching short track right now and plan to watch the figure skating next weekend. Lots of falls in the short track. Exciting stuff!

I agree security for the entire length of the Games is an issue. I am anxious every Olympics, but this time I am truly worried. :-/

I may be wrong, but I don't get ANY feeling of security from the Russian government. They feel like the worst type of security theater...theater featuring the Keystone cops. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm really worried about the Olympics this year. Russia just doesn't seem to have a handle on the terrorism in their country. An Al Qaeda strike would be a huge coup for them.

But I'm very excited for our athletes. I love the figure skating and all the skiing.

Ive been glued to the trials every weekend. Watching short track right now and plan to watch the figure skating next weekend. Lots of falls in the short track. Exciting stuff!

Station please!!!!! :dance3: :flower3:

Although the chance of changing off football will be slim to none.

Is Apollo still in the running for the Olympics? Remember how we would swoon over him here on the DIS? Good times! I watched a little of the trials today. I think it was NBC.

Is Apollo still in the running for the Olympics? Remember how we would swoon over him here on the DIS? Good times! I watched a little of the trials today. I think it was NBC.

No. He is retired and will be a short track commentator for NBC during the games like he was at the trials today.

I can't wait for the games - I have been an Olympic junkie my while life! Love the red, white and blue!! And yes, I cry when the national anthem plays. Every. Single. Time.

Concerned about security and the athletes/judges/referees/coaches/fans/security. It's scary all the things going on in the world.

It's just round the corner! Thought I'd give us rabid Olympic fans a place to go to discuss all things Olympic winter games. I admit...I bleed red, white, and blue every two years when we get another Olympics. That, and I become an armchair "expert" in sports I've never even attempted ("you call that a Salchow??") :lmao:

:lmao: :thumbsup2 As another armchair "expert," I can't wait to critique the games!

So here are some things to get the ball rolling...

Anyone else concerned about security at the games, especially during the opening ceremonies? With the recent terrorist attacks and subsequent threats to Russia, I have to admit I'm very worried about safety. The poor athletes having to gauge whether to participate in the ceremonies (an experience of a lifetime) or skip it out of fear. Ugh!

I really only have one thing on my bucket list and that is to see the Olympics in person. However, if someone offered me an all expense paid trip to these games, I'd have to pass. I hope they go off without a hitch, but security seems very questionable.

No. He is retired and will be a short track commentator for NBC during the games like he was at the trials today.

Oh good, we can at least get a glimpse of him ;)

I'll be watching for hockey. Love watching the olympics. I am nervous about security and such. Hi Jennasis! :yay:

Also worried about security and am praying for the safety of the athletes, spectators, and everyone else in Sochi.

That said, we're a hockey house here!! Team USA came sooooo close the last games and we're hoping for a gold this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter