Official 2014 Donald Half Marathon

I ran the full last year and didn't stop for any pics except for Aladdin and Jasmine in Epcot since I was pretty much already done at that point, but I'm running the half this year and plan to stop and do quite a bit of pics. I saw Coach's list of characters along the route. Other than Jack and Barbossa, what do y'all think are the "MUST STOP" pic places along the half course?

I'm not focusing on a PR for this race, but I also don't want to stop too often because I run the entire race and whenever I stop for walk breaks (only when I absolutely have to and never for a half) or to tie a shoe or whatever, I have a hard time getting back into my routine.

This will be my first half, and my first time to disney in a LONG time. So I have a few questions, hopefully y'all can help me with.

How much time do you usually spend in the parks on marathon weekend? I want to spend my time wisely, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Expo- how long does this usually take? How quickly do things sell out? We are getting there on Thursday, but we want to head straight to MK and get as much of our walking done as possible.

Bike rentals- can you rent these overnight? We would love to do a 6am bike ride on Friday morning but the place doesn't open til much later. We were thinking we would rent on Thursday, and then return after our ride Friday.

What time should we plan on leaving the hotel? We aren't submitting a time because my friend doesn't have a current race to submit, so we will be in the last corral.

This will be my first half, and my first time to disney in a LONG time. So I have a few questions, hopefully y'all can help me with.

How much time do you usually spend in the parks on marathon weekend? I want to spend my time wisely, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Expo- how long does this usually take? How quickly do things sell out? We are getting there on Thursday, but we want to head straight to MK and get as much of our walking done as possible.

Bike rentals- can you rent these overnight? We would love to do a 6am bike ride on Friday morning but the place doesn't open til much later. We were thinking we would rent on Thursday, and then return after our ride Friday.

What time should we plan on leaving the hotel? We aren't submitting a time because my friend doesn't have a current race to submit, so we will be in the last corral.

Generally, we tried to come in a couple days before the race. We attended the expo the day of arrival and made sure we had everything in hand for the weekend. i.e. making sure nothing was left at home. The expo will take between 60 minutes and whatever you want to spend. I included the bus rides in the time and a really quick trip through the expo. The process for the expo is heading into the HP Field House on the left after you enter the WWoS. After picking up a bib, you walk over to the Jostens Center for your swag bag and jersey. That table is in the very back forcing one to walk to through the expo to get your jersey. The official merchandise area is in the front of the expo, so you will walk through the expo once again.

We generally spend Friday in DAK. We tend to take it easy in the park and are usually back home to the villa by early to midafternoon. From there, an early meal and then off to bed just after the fireworks at 9. Post race(s) we spend a lot of time in the parks. The reason is simple, the more one moves post race, the better you will feel the next day.

Buses run from 3-4 AM. The best time to catch a bus is in the middle at 0330. That is from an old guy who also likes to chat with friends in the staging area. I do find that if one cuts is close to 0400 you have a higher likelihood of suffering a transportation melt down. It happens to at least one resort each year. Also, note that if it is your resort, I have not heard of anyone missing the start; maybe missing the A, B or C corral, but not the entire race. If driving, I would still look to hit the Epcot Parking Lot around 0330. You can sit in your car and nap, but you are in the area once there.

As far as bikes go, I do not believe that you can rent overnight, but am not sure. I do know that you are not allowed outside of the resort where you rent the bike; not that I would ride a cruiser that far anyway. I would ask once you get there& you never know if magic will happen. For the record, there are more road worthy bikes for rent in the Winter Garden area. If you have a car, that may be an option as well.

I ran the full last year and didn't stop for any pics except for Aladdin and Jasmine in Epcot since I was pretty much already done at that point, but I'm running the half this year and plan to stop and do quite a bit of pics. I saw Coach's list of characters along the route. Other than Jack and Barbossa, what do y'all think are the "MUST STOP" pic places along the half course?

I'm not focusing on a PR for this race, but I also don't want to stop too often because I run the entire race and whenever I stop for walk breaks (only when I absolutely have to and never for a half) or to tie a shoe or whatever, I have a hard time getting back into my routine.

Jack and Sally were out as well last year after the pirates I believe! It was a must do stop for us for sure!

Jack and Sally were out as well last year after the pirates I believe! It was a must do stop for us for sure!

Definitely! They are so hard to get pics with any time so that is a must do if the line isn't crazy long for it! I'm in an earlier corral so I should be able to get a pic with them fairly easy. Thanks for that tidbit!

Anyone else following Galloway's "finish in the upright position" plan? Today was the 7 mile run and I actually made it through!

Anyone else following Galloway's "finish in the upright position" plan? Today was the 7 mile run and I actually made it through!

Thanks for the inspiration;) just finished my 7 miles! Wasn't easy but I did it!

It's time, isn't it?! Good job to you both!

I'm following my own plan and had 6 today... someone turned the heat back on in Florida - it was brutal. Major effort to stay within my training pace range and still avoid heat stroke! Hoping this is the last of summer for a while...

It's time, isn't it?! Good job to you both!

I'm following my own plan and had 6 today... someone turned the heat back on in Florida - it was brutal. Major effort to stay within my training pace range and still avoid heat stroke! Hoping this is the last of summer for a while...

50's next weekend - HAPPY DANCE

I have not been following the weather channel lately but today local radio station says we will be in upper 80's to low 90's. What happened to the cool front :(

Did it make it to Central Florida and stop? Well i can still say i am training in the worst conditions :lmao:

I have not been following the weather channel lately but today local radio station says we will be in upper 80's to low 90's. What happened to the cool front :(

Did it make it to Central Florida and stop? Well i can still say i am training in the worst conditions :lmao:

It's supposed to come through here (Tampa Bay coast) tonight and tomorrow... dropping highs into the high 70s and lows into the low 60s! :banana:

PrincessV said:
It's supposed to come through here (Tampa Bay coast) tonight and tomorrow... dropping highs into the high 70s and lows into the low 60s! :banana:

Hope it makes it to West Palm Beach

High 60's to low 80's over the weekend for the 'Canes game on Saturday and a 10 miler on Sunday. Can I get a big South Florida WHOOP! WHOOP! ?? :cool1: :yay: :dance3: :cheer2:

Now if the humidity blows out too, life would be BEE-U-TEE-FUL!!! :cool1: :hyper::woohoo::banana:

I'm injured and can't run. Would like to sell my half bib. I paid $155. Let me know if interested.

I'm injured and can't run. Would like to sell my half bib. I paid $155. Let me know if interested.

I hate to hear that. I hope the injury is not too severe. You still have time to heal up from most all injuries and still get to the race.

If you are trying to recoup costs, I suggest a different venue. There are plenty of folks looking for things like this with my friend Craig who keeps a long list of things for trade. I looked just the other day.

Get well.

I hate to hear that. I hope the injury is not too severe. You still have time to heal up from most all injuries and still get to the race.

If you are trying to recoup costs, I suggest a different venue. There are plenty of folks looking for things like this with my friend Craig who keeps a long list of things for trade. I looked just the other day.

Get well.

Coach, you are oh so subtle! :thumbsup2

I am doing the half and the new 10k in 2014! I'm not sure if I posted in this thread yet. :wave2:

Training off to a slow start but did a 10k race a few weeks ago which felt surprisingly good, and then 9 miler last weekend and felt great. I am semi-following Galloway's time improvement plan, hoping that the extra mileage (and some modifications I make) will help me train for doing both the 10k and half back-to-back. This weekend is 10 miles...

Just bought my flight today, and the flight purchase confirmation page said "76 days until your trip" ... so it's getting a little more real! 76 days to go!

:sunny:

Get well.

Great idea....but then I have to give them my I.d for pick up, right? Coach, it's a stress fracture. :-/. So I will need to either sell or defer. But I will be back....in the famous Arnold accent...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter