Official 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler

Sharing and very excited!:cheer2:

We have been walking on Tuesday and Thursday after work and going an average of 4-6 miles. Yesterday we decided (because my friends are helping me train) to do 9 miles (combine the 4 and 5 miles we walk). I DID IT!:mickeyjum

Granted I still have to work on time and running as we walked the whole way (about 2 hrs 15min) but still I did 9 miles and felt good. So I am no longer worried if I can make 10 miles.

Now I just need to concentrate on picking up my running time to make my goal of a 14 minute mile. I do want to stop at the stops and take pictures with the characters so figured this would keep me on track especially as I probably won't get this opportunity again.

I have been reading these posts to make sure I am near what you all have been doing - but:

a) I am planning on carrying my own water bottle - in my hand while I walk. I have been drinking strawberry powerade. My sister says they will have powerade but not strawberry. Do you think they resort shops will have so I can buy a bottle of strawberry before the race?

b) I have found that I do not like to eat prior to or during my walks - but this is a very different situation - 10pm at night....so what are these beans and chews? I am thinking I should eat a heavy pasta lunch and maybe a pbj dinner and a snack (banana) prior to the race? Still trying to figure this out.

Nope, not all flat. Much of it is, but we go up and around/over a cloverleaf overpass twice. Beyond that, just some minor ups and downs here and there. Appreciate you telling me what the cloverleaf was - we don't have too many of those here...but now I know its a hill and I gotta add some of those to my trainings as I have been doing mostly flat - thanks

The highway, WWOS and most of DHS were well lit, but there were some dark spots here and there. The path into WWOS, part if the cloverleaf, a few areas in DHS were pretty dark. Just stay toward the middle of the pack and don't try to cut around folks in dark spots; I saw a few wipeouts on the dark side of the cloverleaf when ppl tried going into the grass to pass.
This is not something to be to worried about, right. Especially if we do stay to the middle? I never considered that parts of the course would be pretty dark....hmmm - now I am thinking I gotta add a pm run...wasn't planning on it because our nights are cool and I know you all have been talking about the humidity so was trying to run in the noon to afternoon sun.

Yeah I'm thinking a swingy a-line dress but now you have me thinking of the pulling over the head, sweaty torso factor. Wish they had showers somewhere at DHS! :)

Hmmm - do you all use the lockers or bag check for a change of clothes? I wasn't going to change my pants - and wasnt sure but was thinking of just changing my shirt and use some wipes to get the sticky off....but boy, I sure would love some showers too:).

I am guessing there is changing rooms or do you just head to the nearest bathroom?

Oh and I usually have pancakes after my long walk - what eating places will be open for the Bash?

Appreciate you telling me what the cloverleaf was - we don't have too many of those here...but now I know its a hill and I gotta add some of those to my trainings as I have been doing mostly flat - thanks
No problem! I know I went in feeling a lot more comfortable knowing just what was coming, so if I can help anyone else with that, I will! :thumbsup2 Where I live is flatflatFLAT and the overpasses really didn't feel bad to me. If you can go up a hill a few times in training, you'll be golden.

One thing all should keep in mind, though, is the steep angles on our roadways, particularly on the cloverleafs. Our monsoon rains need to get off the road quickly, so roadways are crowned - higher in the middle and lower by the shoulders. This means that you'll be running on a bit of an angle. It's slightly flatter towards the shoulders. But the cloverleaf is steeply pitched to force stormwater to run off into the center of its curve - it's highest at the outside and lowest at he inside, but none of it is flat. This can do a number on knees, ankles and hips if you're not used to it. And unless you live down her,e you're probably not used to it. It isn't anything to stress about, but be aware - I don't recommend doing anything crazy or unaccustomed like speeding up significantly or dodging to pass on the ramp until you see how it feels for you.

This is not something to be to worried about, right. Especially if we do stay to the middle?
Not at all - just be aware of your surroundings and stay out of the grass! Actually, that's just a good policy, period, staying out of the grass. Our grass grows tall and can disguise divets and standing water. I watched one poor girl take off across the grassy median on Osceola last year - she was aiming for porta-potties on the other side - and she found herself knee-deep in water in the middle!

Hmmm - do you all use the lockers or bag check for a change of clothes?
No lockers available. I've used bag check at every WDW race. Very easy! Okay, the stairs weren't fun, but easy, lol! Last year, bag check was a series of tables near the start, and pick-up after the race was in the Indiana Jones theater - down all of the stairs to get your bag, and back up to get out. Oooowwww.

I am guessing there is changing rooms or do you just head to the nearest bathroom?
There was a changing tent, but it was HOT and crowded... I went to an AC'd restroom.

Oh and I usually have pancakes after my long walk - what eating places will be open for the Bash?
I'll pull out last year's brochure later to double check, but I know the counter service places on Sunset (near TOT and RnR) were open, as was Backlot Express and Min & Bill's on the lake.

I have been reading these posts to make sure I am near what you all have been doing - but:

a) I am planning on carrying my own water bottle - in my hand while I walk. I have been drinking strawberry powerade. My sister says they will have powerade but not strawberry. Do you think they resort shops will have so I can buy a bottle of strawberry before the race?

b) I have found that I do not like to eat prior to or during my walks - but this is a very different situation - 10pm at night....so what are these beans and chews? I am thinking I should eat a heavy pasta lunch and maybe a pbj dinner and a snack (banana) prior to the race? Still trying to figure this out.

I use the electrolyte/glucose replacement things because I sweat a LOT and lose lots of salt, etc. The sugar in the items gives you a little energy boost.

Jelly Belly makes the Sports Beans, and now that I'm looking for them I see them everywhere. Running store, grocery store, amazon, etc.

I bought a bunch of different things during an REI sale and narrowed down what works nicely for me. It's the Sports Beans and then Clif makes a thing called Shot Bloks. They have different flavors and electrolyte combos (I think some even have caffeine), but I use the margarita flavored one that has three times the sodium of the others. I just seem to need that.

I did like the Gu brand "chomps", but they felt *to me* like they were mainly sugar and not enough electrolyte. Someone else will feel differently, so it is good to know what works for you. And it seems you know that already, as you have a drink that works for you in a flavor that works. Since you like a specific flavor, and since a long run *event* is NO place to try anything new at all, I would make sure to source it. Call Publix, see if Garden Grocery delivery service can get it, etc.

Hmmm - do you all use the lockers or bag check for a change of clothes? I wasn't going to change my pants - and wasnt sure but was thinking of just changing my shirt and use some wipes to get the sticky off....but boy, I sure would love some showers too:).

I'll have hubby and son doing the party while I run, so they'll just carry my stuff with them. Though maybe THEY can use a locker; will probably be a better idea than taking it on Rock'n'Roller Coaster as many times as they plan to ride it.

I figure I'll just change in a bathroom.

Thanks so much :goodvibes I managed to get my 7 miles in. It actually didn't kill me. Mile six was rough though... and my pace slowed. Not sure how much of that was due to feeling pooped and the fact that all of mile six I was struggling to (sorry TMI :blush:) unweggie myself. Sometimes the shorts under my skirts dont behave! :confused3 I wouldn't have cared so much if they were riding up a bit, but the chub rub was happening and that chaffing HURTS (boy aren't I all about the TMI today :rotfl:)

Drank my coconut water and I feel almost normal.... :dance3:

What brand of coconut water do you use? I have tried one with mango in it and one powdered brand that you reconstitute and both tasted WEIRD to me. But I've heard really good things about it, and want to use it! Seems so much more natural than the other things.

Hey, who hasn't been in a chafing situation, right? The shorts thing is why I'm going to only Skirt Sports Happy Girl skirts. They are long enough and the shorts STAY. Well, on me at least. They are spendy, far more expensive than my Target running skirts, but well worth it. (though perhaps not as adorable as the Target ones)

I can't believe you ran 7 miles with a kidney infection. Goddess!

I'm doing the Galloway "finish upright" plan and the long run is 8 today. First time ever, if I can manage it! This week has been hard on me, food-wise. Things are upsetting my belly that hadn't before and I can't really figure it out. I never realized how much your belly messes with running until this week. On the second run this week I was trying to see how far I can run in half an hour (and I'm bringing down the amount of walking I'm doing), but it was just frustrating with my stomach scaring me, LOL. (see? I can do TMI, too) Along with that my left foot and right ankle hurt, AND my Polar heart rate monitor was having issues.

I ended it after cooling down from the frustrating half hour, but was so annoyed I went and did weights.

So this week I did a weights session with focus on triceps on Tuesday, weights with focus on shoulders on Wednesday, and yesterday, sigh, I did weights with focus on biceps.

Can you say "can't lift my arms"? I thought you could. :) :) :cool2: :rolleyes: :3dglasses :scared:

I have NO idea how this run today is going to go.....

UPDATE....I did it, but it wasn't fun. And that "Zombies, Run!" app really really needs you to have music on your phone. I have none and those were some long silences. Also couldn't figure out how to make the zombie hordes chase me. It was fun when they were talking, though.

And the wonderful thing is...the things making me slow or take breaks or walking breaks are things like bathroom breaks, my son needing to get something from the car, my heart rate monitor bugging me, and my foot....my heart and lungs and legs are doing wonderfully. THAT is exciting.

Sharing and very excited!:cheer2:

We have been walking on Tuesday and Thursday after work and going an average of 4-6 miles. Yesterday we decided (because my friends are helping me train) to do 9 miles (combine the 4 and 5 miles we walk). I DID IT!:mickeyjum

Granted I still have to work on time and running as we walked the whole way (about 2 hrs 15min) but still I did 9 miles and felt good. So I am no longer worried if I can make 10 miles.

Now I just need to concentrate on picking up my running time to make my goal of a 14 minute mile. I do want to stop at the stops and take pictures with the characters so figured this would keep me on track especially as I probably won't get this opportunity again.

Way to go !

Well, I completed my scheduled 7 miles today and then walked 2 more miles to catch the subway home. Went pretty well! About 80 degrees by the time I finished, but pretty low humidity so it was easier in that sense. :thumbsup2

Just wanted to share an update re: the "RunLite AirStretch 4" belt I was trying out. So far I've only used it with 2 bottles (8oz. each), and I REALLY LIKE IT! I don't hear the sloshing around that expected to bother me, and the belt REALLY STAYS PUT for me. Pretty happy that I have a water solution for the 10-miler that'll work for me, since neck/shoulder issues make carrying a bottle way too unpleasant. :)

Good job on all the runs this weekend - I got in 7 slow, ugly miles, but done this morning. It was warm and very humid here in Central VA, but hoping it preps me for FL weather! Good luck to all who still have runs coming up!

Got my 7 in this morning. Running a little slower due to leg pain. Boy, was it HOT and MUGGY. I was running right into the sun for the last 3 miles.
Just glad it's over!

Did my 7 miles today. Hot, hot, hot! Blazing sun ,84 & 70% humidity when I finished.

Tried Shot blocks today...which I liked. Think of alternating between strawberry and black cherry with caffeine. And since after this I roll into training for the glass slipper challenge I will probably order a bunch!

Hooray - way to get all of those weekend miles in! We ROCK :)

I had a surprisingly nice 10 miles Saturday. It was actually below 80 at sunrise and I ran the beach, where there was a constant, steady sea breeze. Not a cool breeze, but any air movement is better than none at this point lol! Made a concerted effort to run by effort and forget pace... it helped a LOT. Sure it was hot, but I didn't feel any heat stress until the last mile, when I kept speeding up, wanting to be done. Made myself walk the last 1/2 mile and felt 100% at the end. Feeling MUCH better about things now!

Tried Shot blocks today...which I liked. Think of alternating between strawberry and black cherry with caffeine. And since after this I roll into training for the glass slipper challenge I will probably order a bunch!

I do the same thing - caffeine and non-caffeine alternating Shot Blocks, and it seems to work for me. I have one every 20 min or so (or every water stop), which works great for me, though I am a walker.

6 miles today for me, go everyone on the long runs!!

Did 8 miles, my longest run ever, yesterday. My legs were not feeling so great even by mile 3.5 and by 5.8 miles I had to walk in the middle of a run interval. I only walked for about 2 minutes and then continued on as planned with no more breaks but maaannnn were my legs sore! I feel ok today, a little sore in my hip flexors but nothing major. Can't wait for it to just be race day already!

Does anyone know the number of days before/after can event we an use our discounted tickets? On the website it says they are valid for a limited time before/after the event period, but it doesn't specify how many days. With the race being the 5th, I am presuming that I can use my tickets from the 2nd to the 7th as planned? :confused3

Did 8 miles, my longest run ever, yesterday. My legs were not feeling so great even by mile 3.5 and by 5.8 miles I had to walk in the middle of a run interval. I only walked for about 2 minutes and then continued on as planned with no more breaks but maaannnn were my legs sore! I feel ok today, a little sore in my hip flexors but nothing major. Can't wait for it to just be race day already!

We're mileage twins. :)

It's hard for me to wait, too! It seems still so far but also so close, so I just want it to be here!

Does anyone know if the trail for the Happy Haunted 5K is open to the public? I live not too far from Disney and I thought I'd like to make the opportunity to do a test run prior to race day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter