Official 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler

I went to REI today to try out some hydration things. They didn't have the Camelback Marathoner but I tried on a Nathan, and just NO. There's no way I can run in that thing. Tried on the waist packs and realized that I cannot reliably get to the waterbottle(s) on the left hand side, because I have a tricky shoulder. Getting the Nathan backpack thing on hurt my shoulder, too, and the LAST thing I want to deal with before starting a run is having my shoulder hurting.

So it looks like I'll be trying out different sized water bottles, and I'll be practicing the maneuver of dumping water into it at the water stations! It was neat because while standing at the wall of running hydration things, another runner was getting something, and she, too, just uses a single bottle and dumps water in. :) (and she did this for two Halfs in Arizona)

I tried out a single-bottle-on-the-side pack as well, or maybe it was to go in the center of the back, but if it's on the side it messed with my arm movement and if it's in back it's a left-hand grab bottle, and again, I can't do that.

Dang.

But that's OK. I'll work it out. : )

I went to REI today to try out some hydration things. They didn't have the Camelback Marathoner but I tried on a Nathan, and just NO. There's no way I can run in that thing. Tried on the waist packs and realized that I cannot reliably get to the waterbottle(s) on the left hand side, because I have a tricky shoulder. Getting the Nathan backpack thing on hurt my shoulder, too, and the LAST thing I want to deal with before starting a run is having my shoulder hurting.

So it looks like I'll be trying out different sized water bottles, and I'll be practicing the maneuver of dumping water into it at the water stations! It was neat because while standing at the wall of running hydration things, another runner was getting something, and she, too, just uses a single bottle and dumps water in. :) (and she did this for two Halfs in Arizona)

I tried out a single-bottle-on-the-side pack as well, or maybe it was to go in the center of the back, but if it's on the side it messed with my arm movement and if it's in back it's a left-hand grab bottle, and again, I can't do that.

Dang.

But that's OK. I'll work it out. : )

i just ordered the marathoner off amazon this week and tried it out for the first time today and i gotta say it was really good, i used camel backs a lot in the military and this one is way better than any one ive ever used i pretty much forgot it was there, so id try to find a place that has it to try it on

i just ordered the marathoner off amazon this week and tried it out for the first time today and i gotta say it was really good, i used camel backs a lot in the military and this one is way better than any one ive ever used i pretty much forgot it was there, so id try to find a place that has it to try it on

How was it to actually put on? I sort of had to squeeze into the Nathan's shoulder straps (and I just put on an XS (faint) jacket in the REI clearance section so I'm not big shouldered anymore) and it wasn't comfy. But if the Marathoner isn't as squeezey maybe I'll try to find one to try on.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

How was it to actually put on? I sort of had to squeeze into the Nathan's shoulder straps (and I just put on an XS (faint) jacket in the REI clearance section so I'm not big shouldered anymore) and it wasn't comfy. But if the Marathoner isn't as squeezey maybe I'll try to find one to try on.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

its adjustable it has staps on the back and front and it can fit pretty much anyone im a big guy and it fits me fine but you can also make it smaller... the thing i like about this camelbak compared to the ones we had in the military is that its so light you can barely tell you have it on.. it worked really well for me on my run with the florida heat

its adjustable it has staps on the back and front and it can fit pretty much anyone im a big guy and it fits me fine but you can also make it smaller... the thing i like about this camelbak compared to the ones we had in the military is that its so light you can barely tell you have it on.. it worked really well for me on my run with the florida heat

I'm looking for a water solution as well. I can't run holding a bottle -- shoulder/neck issues that would get aggravated. The little bottles sloshing around at the waist seem like they would bug me, but I haven't tried that yet.

My concern about anything like the camelbak backpack types is that it will be TOO HOT -- how did you find it from that perspective?

I'm looking for a water solution as well. I can't run holding a bottle -- shoulder/neck issues that would get aggravated. The little bottles sloshing around at the waist seem like they would bug me, but I haven't tried that yet.

My concern about anything like the camelbak backpack types is that it will be TOO HOT -- how did you find it from that perspective?

I ran with a camelbak on the ToT last year. It was great for me because I could control what I drank. I don't use the marathon style I actually use a light weight bike one but it is similar to the marathon. I love it because I can keep my keys and such in it with out worrying while I run outside in NYC. I can't just lock myself in my car so I have to have at least keys, cards, and identification while I run.

I didn't think it was sloshy or too hot.

well i live in florida and its about 90-94 when im running so everything is hot lol but it wasnt any extra hot, not the marathoner one anway. plus if the water in the bladder is extra cold with some ice and stuff it can be kinda cooling.. the only issue i had is the water in the hose gets a little warm and you need to undo the hose from a clip in order to drink.. the bladder is made in a way to keep it from sloshing too much. i personally like it a lot for my runs but i also need a lot of water due to the heat and humdity here in florida.

I obviously need to find some place that has the Camelbak. No local REIs have it. Guess I could order it and use their return policy if I hate it, but that doesn't feel right. Hmm...

I'm spending a LOT of time on this hydration concern. :) Also spending a lot of time trying to figure exactly what clothes and shoes I want DH and DS to have for me at the finish.

Also spending a lot of time trying to figure exactly what clothes and shoes I want DH and DS to have for me at the finish.

IDK if this helps, but I brought fitted running capris last year for post-race... not a good choice. They were perfect once I had them on, but trying to get them on in a bathroom stall, trying not to tip over or put a bare foot down on the nasty floor after running 10 miles, was the hardest thing I've ever done in my distance running career! :rotfl: I'm leaning toward a skirt this year.

IDK if this helps, but I brought fitted running capris last year for post-race... not a good choice. They were perfect once I had them on, but trying to get them on in a bathroom stall, trying not to tip over or put a bare foot down on the nasty floor after running 10 miles, was the hardest thing I've ever done in my distance running career! :rotfl: I'm leaning toward a skirt this year.

Yeah I'm thinking a swingy a-line dress but now you have me thinking of the pulling over the head, sweaty torso factor. Wish they had showers somewhere at DHS! :)

Yeah I'm thinking a swingy a-line dress but now you have me thinking of the pulling over the head, sweaty torso factor. Wish they had showers somewhere at DHS! :)

I'm staying at the BWV and I was wondering if it was worth it to quick go back and shower? What do you think? I also changed my clothes in the porta-potty at the 1/2 in January and the floor was all covered in yuck. It was tso gross!! But at least at HS you have the bathrooms to change in.

I'm sure I asked this way back in an earlier post.... If my DH and DS want to go watch me run at WWoS can they take a bus from HS there and then back to see me finish?

Since the transportation will be all bus-based (I believe you cannot park a car at DHS, and would have to go from WWOS? to DHS on a bus if you drove), it seems like it would take a lot longer than perhaps it should, to do that. Though wait, you can walk? boat? something from DHS, can't you? Either way, I feel like it would take more time than would be worth it.

Then again, what do I know? :)

The rundisney site says two different things! First, it says there's only viewing inside DHS.

But then in the FAQ it says differently, under spectators and transportation.

Limited spectator viewing will be available at the race start at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Spectators can also view their runner at Champion® Stadium at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Entry into Champion® Stadium is free for race spectators. Those wishing to view from Champion® Stadium will need to take an event bus from Disney's Hollywood Studios to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Event buses will run continuous loops for spectators from Disney's Hollywood Studios to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex from 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Champion® Stadium is at mile 6.5 therefore spectators should plan for their runner's pace and anticipated finish time. Spectators who opt to view their runner at Champion® Stadium and the finish line at Disney's Hollywood Studios should allow 10 minutes to walk from the stadium to the bus, 20 minutes of transportation time and 10 minutes to walk to the finish line.

Spectator viewing with limited seating will be available at the finish line at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Spectators must purchase a Disney Villains Hollywood Bash ticket to enter Disney's Hollywood Studios to view the finish line and for the afterhours party.

I'm spending a LOT of time on this hydration concern. :)
I'm with you! I just received the "Amphipod RunLite AirStretch 4" I ordered and am testing it out on a 6.5mi run this Saturday. If I hate it, perhaps my sister will take it off my hands! :)

My next step would be to try the camelbak pack... I guess The Marathoner, from what I've read here.

Guess we'll see... more to think about than I thought initially -- figured I'd just stop at water stations and that would be that... but I think I'm finding I need to titrate and time that water myself... thus the need to carry.

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Hilarious, AND good advice!! Love it!! :thumbsup2

for hydration, i just bought a 20-oz bottle with a hand strap. i've run with it a few times and like it. i figure i'll refill it with the provided water as needed. i can't stand any kind of belt when it's so hot out.

for post-race, i'm bringing some sports-ish shorts and tank. the shorts can be used for running, etc. but i just wear them around the house. they're very lightweight and breathable. ;) i can't stand to have on wet shorts and i am most definitely a sweater! we'll all be stinky though, right? ;)

for hydration, i just bought a 20-oz bottle with a hand strap. i've run with it a few times and like it. i figure i'll refill it with the provided water as needed. i can't stand any kind of belt when it's so hot out.

I hear ya'. I'm REALLY hoping I don't hate it, as I have neck/shoulder issues that make carrying a full bottle a big problem for me. :( Fingers crossed... :)

Hi, I've been following this thread for awhile, but this is my first post!

Question: is the course completely flat? I looked at a course map on Map My Run and it looks flat, but is that right?

Thanks!

mapmyrun should have a spot that shows elevation changes.

I thought there were some cloverleaf ups and downs we had to do, so I don't *think* it's totally flat.

To the shoe-knowledgable folks in this thread....

Found out today (by calling a good local running shoe store) that the shoes I bought about 4 months ago (the Saucony Guide 5&6) have less of a heel than the Guide 4 that I loved. Since I'm very "princess and the pea" like in all aspects of my life, it makes sense that the millimeters of difference have been messing me up. And I have, indeed, been having foot problems since I bought the two pairs of Guides, and the shoes just feel weird. I tried my old Guide 4s the other day and they felt so nice, but they are entirely broken down. Of course, the 4 is also an 8.5 vs the 8 I bought for the newer ones (80+ lbs lost = different feet!).

Are there any shoe experts here that know of a shoe that is similar to the Saucony Guide 4 and comes in wide? I'd love to get this figured out with time to break shoes in for the TOT....

I thought I was going to need to go more minimal (despite the fact that roadrunner always wants to put me in a stability shoe) but now that I found that it's pretty much the exact opposite, I'm flummoxed. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter