Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got bib #101...what does that mean???

Well I never updated my half marathon time like I should have in November so I am curious how much that effected me. I also wanna no if elites are 1-50 like at the DWM, or what?

I am thinking you might be somewhat confused. If your bib for the Half is #101, that means that you are expected to come in first after the elites (who have numbers 1 - 50-ish).

Bib #s for Corral A start at either #100 or #101.

So if you are really that fast, that means that you are a seriously accomplished runner, and you are likely semi-professional. And someone who is that accomplished, would not be on this thread asking questions as to what your bib number means, if that makes sense. Are you sure you didn't mis-read your bib # and you are missing a digit or two? I am not trying to be nasty, I promise. But again, anyone with a bib # that low knows what it means and has done lots of races. They don't assign bib #100 or 101 to "just anyone."

Are you sure you aren't looking at your Bib # for the 5k? For example, my Bib # for the 5k is ridiculously low at #281 or something like that. But that is because those bibs aren't based on anticipated finish time.

Don't be so sure on estimating your finish time since you don't know your corral just yet. Remember there are (at least) 8 corrals, plus the wheelchair division, plus the elite division. So at least 10 different start times, anywhere from 6-9 minutes apart. So let's say you are Corral D, that means you will have the 6th Start time. With the first starting at 5:35, that means that you won't start till 6:11 at the earliest, and quite possibly not until 6:29. Plus, you may find that you want to stop for a couple of pictures. And this race is SO crowded, it is often quite difficult to get up to your race pace in multiple spots along the course.

My bib# is 2152, so I am expecting to be in corral A or B, unless the teams go first. It's good to know there is plenty to do at the end. I just wish I didn't have the breakfast on Saturday now. Will there be real food at the finish?

Yes, I would say you can count on being in A. :thumbsup2 I was #2101 a few years ago and that was A. I'm #795 this year and am sure that will be A, too. So that means you will start right around 5:45am give or take. And my experience is that in A, you don't get too bogged down in the crowds. Further back in the pack, it can be really hard to get up to race pace.

As for "real food" at the end, they have bananas, oranges, bagels, Lara bars, apples, full bottles of water, Gatorade, G2, and these "box kits" that have assorted things in them...again, along the lines of Lara bars or other protein bars. There are just these big long tables filled with stuff. You can take as much as you want/need.

Yes, I would say you can count on being in A. :thumbsup2 I was #2101 a few years ago and that was A. I'm #795 this year and am sure that will be A, too. So that means you will start right around 5:45am give or take. And my experience is that in A, you don't get too bogged down in the crowds. Further back in the pack, it can be really hard to get up to race pace.

As for "real food" at the end, they have bananas, oranges, bagels, Lara bars, apples, full bottles of water, Gatorade, G2, and these "box kits" that have assorted things in them...again, along the lines of Lara bars or other protein bars. There are just these big long tables filled with stuff. You can take as much as you want/need.

Thank you for the info!

I am thinking you might be somewhat confused. If your bib for the Half is #101, that means that you are expected to come in first after the elites (who have numbers 1 - 50-ish).

Bib #s for Corral A start at either #100 or #101.

So if you are really that fast, that means that you are a seriously accomplished runner, and you are likely semi-professional. And someone who is that accomplished, would not be on this thread asking questions as to what your bib number means, if that makes sense. Are you sure you didn't mis-read your bib # and you are missing a digit or two? I am not trying to be nasty, I promise. But again, anyone with a bib # that low knows what it means and has done lots of races. They don't assign bib #100 or 101 to "just anyone."

Are you sure you aren't looking at your Bib # for the 5k? For example, my Bib # for the 5k is ridiculously low at #281 or something like that. But that is because those bibs aren't based on anticipated finish time.

Well thats not very nice, No I am not confused in any way, shape or form, that is in fact my bib #.

I may not be the most experienced runner, I have only run 3 fulls and 2 halfs in the last year and a half, but I have always had a knack for it anyways if you know what I mean.

I can guarantee my bib # is 101

And I was curious if my not updating my time effected it greatly. I was looking for friendly help.

It says HM bib : 101.

3DisneyKids said:
I'm Bib # 795 and it isn't necessarily a "cool" number for others but it has significance to me, so I think it's great!

Definitely Corral A. I was Bib #2101 in 2011 and that was A and there are way more runners this year.

that it is on SATURDAY not Sunday. :mad: So, first, is anyone interested in 2 adult and 2 child tickets to the Saturday breakfast (don't know if I can do a transfer, but maybe we could do a hand-off at the Princess Expo on Friday? Second, is there anything to do in the race area for an hour after the race before Epcot opens?

Don't be so sure on estimating your finish time since you don't know your corral just yet. Remember there are (at least) 8 corrals, plus the wheelchair division, plus the elite division. So at least 10 different start times, anywhere from 6-9 minutes apart. So let's say you are Corral D, that means you will have the 6th Start time. With the first starting at 5:35, that means that you won't start till 6:11 at the earliest, and quite possibly not until 6:29. Plus, you may find that you want to stop for a couple of pictures. And this race is SO crowded, it is often quite difficult to get up to your race pace in multiple spots along the course.

But to answer your question...OMG, tons and tons to do after the race, I think. (1) Go to medical and get any ice or ibuprofen you need. (2) Go to the MASSAGE TENT! They do an AWESOME job. And it feels so so so good. $10 for 10 minutes and $20 for 20 minutes. So worth it. And they will usually go longer. I always sign up for 10 minutes and they always do at least 15 if not a full 20. (And the money goes to the National Kidney Foundation...everyone there is a volunteer from either a massage school or from physical therapy offices in the area.)

(3) Get in line for the Official Photos. There are a few different ones. There are the "basic" one of you with your medal and the Princess Half backdrop (look at my pic under my screen name). (4) And then you can wait in the really long line for pics with Mickey and Minnie in their racing outfits. (They switch in and out with Donald and Goofy, too.)

(5) They have a tent with Official Merchandise, too. It's mostly the same stuff as the Expo (only the "Official Merchandise" from the Expo, not all of the vendors. But you can get the "I DID IT" t-shirt and they will customize it with your finish time while you wait. (6) In that same area, you can get your medal engraved with your name and finish time while you wait (there are spaces for it on the back).

(7) And of course...there is all of the food/water/drinks/snack packs so you can refuel.

(8) And my person favorite...hang out and watch others finish. It is SO SO SO fun to watch people finish. There are always lots of emotional finishes and it is amazing to watch.

Have fun at your first half! We do this race every year and love it. My advice is to really enjoy the race. This shouldn't be a race that you do for time or a PR. There is too much stuff on the course that is worth enjoying. Save the PR for a different race. This one is for FUN! Good luck![/QUOTE]

Awesome! I was in A for the Donald, but forgot my number so I could not really compare.

Can I buy the "I did it" shirt at the regular expo or only after the race?

Well thats not very nice, No I am not confused in any way, shape or form, that is in fact my bib #.

I may not be the most experienced runner, I have only run 3 fulls and 2 halfs in the last year and a half, but I have always had a knack for it anyways if you know what I mean.

I can guarantee my bib # is 101

And I was curious if my not updating my time effected it greatly. I was looking for friendly help.

It says HM bib : 101.

I clearly said I was not being nasty. It is just very strange for someone who is that fast and that close to being an elite runner to not know what it means. Just didn't make sense. Still doesn't. But hey, have a great race! :thumbsup2

Awesome! I was in A for the Donald, but forgot my number so I could not really compare.

Can I buy the "I did it" shirt at the regular expo or only after the race?

Yup, you can definitely buy it at the Expo. But if you want it personalized to have your finish time screen printed on it, then you have to get it at the Finish.

I clearly said I was not being nasty. It is just very strange for someone who is that fast and that close to being an elite runner to not know what it means. Just didn't make sense. Still doesn't. But hey, have a great race! :thumbsup2

Well if you say that A starts at 100 or 101. does that mean that I am maybe the first runner up to elite? and if so, if I send my new time which is faster, do you think I could slip into the elite?

And yes, it can happen :P

3DisneyKids said:
Yup, you can definitely buy it at the Expo. But if you want it personalized to have your finish time screen printed on it, then you have to get it at the Finish.

Okay cool! Thank you so much for all of your help!

Well if you say that A starts at 100 or 101. does that mean that I am maybe the first runner up to elite? and if so, if I send my new time which is faster, do you think I could slip into the elite?

No clue, sorry. I am not now, nor have I ever been, anywhere close to an elite runner. I'm not sure how one earns that status. I believe, though, that most elites are sponsored athletes and everything that goes along with that. Again, I don't know for sure since I consider myself to be in the "old, fat, and slow" category :rotfl2:, but I think that being considered "elite" is based on more than just a finishing time? I think you have to be a known entity on the racing circuit.

Seriously, if you are that close to being an elite without ever having been professionally coached, you should get yourself a coach ASAP. With proper training, who knows what you could do!

Kimmie D said:

What is your pace?

From Runner's World Magazine...

Elite runners are those who have endorsements, (get paid to run instead of paying to run races) and have met the qualifying times at the Olympic Time Trials. For women running the Half Marathon distance, that means a finishing time of approximately 1:10 (depending on age).

Hope this helps!

Would love to have the Expo open at 8:30am. What time do people start lining up to get in?

I know of someone who plans to line up at 7:30am.

Corrals - This matters a lot less than most people fear it does. If you really need to change it, go ahead. But remember that this a crowded course every year, and this year it's going to be especially so. This is not the race to PR. There will be fast runners and slow runners in every corral. This is the race to have fun with. Cheer other women on, take pics, smile.

My biggest piece of advice is don't change anything from now to race day. Don't decide this week to get new shoes. Don't overtrain. Don't drink gatorade during the race when you never did before. Yes, I have done two of these things and it wasn't pretty. Don't be me! And you will be fine.

I really need to just breathe and heed these points of your advice.....

I need to enjoy the race and not worry about the corral.

I need not overtrain.

I need to not get new shoes.

Getting in to the elite depends on the rules for being elite. Here in DK the elites are based on their time, which mean everyone can get there if they are fast enough. You don't have to be sponsored, pro or anything like that. But it might be different in the US.
You seem surprised about your number so is that because you didn't know that your time would put you in front? Then you should try and hand in the faster time and see where that puts you. If it's because you think RD made a mistake and your time isn't that fast, then I wouldn't do anything and just stay with that.
But as I said, if you just didn't know that your "slower" time would put you in front, call and ask what it takes to get into the elite... That would be so cool!:goodvibes

Is there a Disney photographer that takes official pictures at the end or on Main Street and if so, how does it work? Do you order later? I plan on bringing my camera but don't want to risk standing in time if the lines are long because our times are about a 14.5 mm and want to save any precious minutes we may have for a bathroom break.

Is there a Disney photographer that takes official pictures at the end or on Main Street and if so, how does it work? Do you order later? I plan on bringing my camera but don't want to risk standing in time if the lines are long because our times are about a 14.5 mm and want to save any precious minutes we may have for a bathroom break.

(OOPs correction Brightroom) Marathonphoto is the official race photographer. There are a number of places along the course where you are likely to be photographed as you run. You are unlikely to be photographed at all points. There are places to stand in line if you want to be sure that your moment is captured. The bottom of the ramp coming out of the castle is popular. There is also a place to be photographed, after you finish, with your medal in hand. This company will email you a link to your photos, matched by your race number.

There is an official photographer to take castle shots. You run down Main, through Tomorrow, and back through FL. Then through the castle, take a right to the picture spots. There should be multiple photgs shooting pictures- usually goes pretty fast. You will have to wait, but not too crazy long.

Later the pictures will be sent to you through Marathonphoto attached to your Bib number. You can order them off the website at that time.

HTH!

FWIW on the Elite issue- I had confirmation from an Elite runner (man who does WDW Goofy) that they are NOT all sponsored or endorsed. Any uber fast person can qualify for Elite status at a Disney race. So bib 101- take your fastest time into runner relations and see where they place you! You may get to toe the line and start at the very front of the pack. Nice job!

He also said Elite status at WDW is slightly slower pace than other races. So you may be elite at WDW but not close to Elite somewhere else for example. All races are not set up the same.

3DisneyKids said:

It's not "strange". All races do things differently and in my experience, Disney is more complicated than most, I think because we all tend to make it more complicated. I know someone in the 300s. She's super fast but this is her first half. She had no clue what bib numbers/corrals meant either. Being fast doesn't equate Disney race expert.

There is an official photographer to take castle shots. You run down Main, through Tomorrow, and back through FL. Then through the castle, take a right to the picture spots. There should be multiple photgs shooting pictures- usually goes pretty fast. You will have to wait, but not too crazy long.

Thank you! This is the only absolute "must get" shot for me.

But, for the characters along the course---- How easy are they to see? For example, are they all on one side of the street? Or, will I just have to watch carefully and meander from one side to the other to stop at them all.

Also, looking at the character list for last year, some spots have many characters listed. Were all the characters grouped or were there some groups (ie Princes, Villans) and some separate?

Now that I've got bib number, costume coming together, decent mileage under my shoes.... time to obsess about pictures. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter