• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Researching frost fairies. Hmm... if one of you were a hairdresser I could run the 5K on Saturday as Pocahontas and the 13.1 as Spike the Frost Fairy (with a cute brunette bob) on Sunday. ;)

Wondering where to find lt blue running capris that fit and won't chafe. Kind of unlikely, but it would be fun!

sherekhan said:
Wondering where to find lt blue running capris that fit and won't chafe. Kind of unlikely, but it would be fun!

Actually, Nike has a pair!! Google it (I'd paste the link if I knew how, but I'm technically challenged).

Now...watching the Golden Globes tonight made me want to plan my Oscar party, but I just realized the Oscars fall on the night of our PHM! :faint: The Oscars are my Super Bowl, so I'm a little bummed. Oh well, what can you do! What are you princesses gonna do? :clutching pearls:

sherekhan said:
OMG you're totally right. She even wears running capris!

This pic of Tink in earmuffs with Peri is how I like to think of us :)
http://parentpreviews.com/movie-reviews/tinker-bell-secret-of-the-wings

Perfect!

sherekhan said:
Researching frost fairies. Hmm... if one of you were a hairdresser I could run the 5K on Saturday as Pocahontas and the 13.1 as Spike the Frost Fairy (with a cute brunette bob) on Sunday. ;)

Disney really should have thus at the expo. I bet they'd get a ton of interest!

MizBrix said:
Actually, Nike has a pair!! Google it (I'd paste the link if I knew how, but I'm technically challenged).

Well done!

Aren't we starting earlier this year? Yes, 5:35 for Elites, the every 5-6 minutes later for each corral. Also just saw that the Pasta Party is open again, back to 98%.

Finisher calculator, and since it is rundisney figure in some photo stops http://www.runnersworld.com/finish-time-calculator

I guess the question then is how many corrals and then what one will I be in. How many were there last year?

The finisher calculator was great! thanks:thumbsup2

World showcase entrance will open when Epcot opens for the day- not before so if you will finish before 9am that's not an option. I don't trust the Disney ground transportation on a race morning I've heard more horror stories than good ones. I'd get up and leave the resort on the last runner bus then monorail to TTC to see the racers there.-Then Monorail again to MK to see them on Main street, and Monorail back to Epcot for the finish! but that's just me. (I did this one year when I couldn't run the marathon because of a surgery and my dd did it for me- after MK I got back to Epcot, walked thru the park (it was open then) and went to Breakfast to meet some friends at Fresh for breakfast. We then went out to the bridge by the boardwalk to cheer until everyone we know was in Epcot.) The breakfast part only works for the full though. LOL

:scratchin Do spectators need to get into Epcot? Or just outside? Wont the transportation be running about an hour before park opening in order to get people to their breakfast ADRs?

On the rundisney site there is a spectator tool, it worked for my mom last year, she was at 8.3mi (poly) the TTC 4.5 ish and the finish line.

Thanks! That is very helpful!

There were 8 last year so the last group left 35 minutes a after the first. I was in B, moved up at the expo, so had 25 extra minutes then I would have had otherwise.

Isn't the first ADRs at 8, so buses to Epcot at 7:15ish?

The international gateway entrance is open for the people going to pre-park opening ADR's at Akershus. They seat starting early, either 7 or 8 am. Not sure if they allow people in looking to get out the front of the park.

That is what I thought too... so busses from other resorts should run...

There were 8 last year so the last group left 35 minutes a after the first. I was in B, moved up at the expo, so had 25 extra minutes then I would have had otherwise.

Isn't the first ADRs at 8, so buses to Epcot at 7:15ish?

I may have to do another 10k then... just in case I am in one of the later corrals. I would love to start earlier if for no other reason than to not stand around waiting (of course...don't want dh and dd to either... but while I stand around, they will be snug in bed still)

I was thinking the busses must start running early enough... and if all dh has to do is get to epcot and then head to the parking lot ?... he should be able to make it.

Now...watching the Golden Globes tonight made me want to plan my Oscar party, but I just realized the Oscars fall on the night of our PHM! :faint: The Oscars are my Super Bowl, so I'm a little bummed. Oh well, what can you do! What are you princesses gonna do? :clutching pearls:

I see a few out there. I think I'm going shopping. After looking up some of the other Frost Fairies I think I'm comfortable being "a" frost fairy instead of "Periwinkle the Frost Fairy" There are so many of them zooming around that I think I can just be "Me as a Frost Fairy"

I had also figured this out as this is the fundraiser we have for Shot@Life. I organized it last year and now I'm bailing on them. At least I'm running for the same charity! Here's pictures of us "winning Oscars" at last year's party. http://mortongrove.suntimes.com/photos/galleries/index.html?story=10770100
Anyway, I'm resigned that we'll be at the MK (extra magic hours are that evening, too) until the kids or mommy poop out. Maybe we'll be back for some of it due to the time zone lateness.

AnotherPrincess said:
This is what I'm leaning towards. It's just that doing a 10. 11, 12, and 13.1 in the next 6 weeks, really 5 weeks by the time we get to next weekend, sounds like a lot of long runs to me. Just making sure I'm not trying to overdo it. Really wish I could have gotten the 10 in this weekend.

If you think thats too many, you could considet just 2 long runs and pushing it to do one 10.5 and one 11.75. Or something that makes your comfortable. So many people I've spoken with have said they only trained to 10 and were fine. So really, I feel pretty positive just knowing I can do that. At least, that was the hump I was shooting to tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

If you think thats too many, you could considet just 2 long runs and pushing it to do one 10.5 and one 11.75. Or something that makes your comfortable. So many people I've spoken with have said they only trained to 10 and were fine. So really, I feel pretty positive just knowing I can do that. At least, that was the hump I was shooting to tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I will be doing 8k next weekend, then a 13k on the Fantasy and a 5K on Castaway. a 6k at WDW then a 16k when I get back home, then a 5k before flying out to run the Princess. I know that I only made it to about 12k for the Wine and Dine, and other then some muscle craps around 15k I did cross the finish line, just in front of the balloon ladies, never saw them, but was told we were 30 seconds behind pace.

Thanks. I wasn't thinking of the Buses to get DH and family to the finish line. Do they even have a bus for Epcot from the Epcot resorts?? and I'm not sure they'll let them thru the Intl gateway before 9AM without showing a confirmation number for a ADR.

I'm sure I'll be able to figure this out once we get there.

Got my 14 miler in yesterday... 2hr 35 min. Feel pretty good about this race now. at least I know I can finish it...without getting swept or cramping up..etc.. When I registered I said 3hrs to finish since I had no idea whether I could possibly run 13 miles. I guess the starting corral shouldn't matter that much right? just end later ?

Thanks. I wasn't thinking of the Buses to get DH and family to the finish line. Do they even have a bus for Epcot from the Epcot resorts?? and I'm not sure they'll let them thru the Intl gateway before 9AM without showing a confirmation number for a ADR.

I'm sure I'll be able to figure this out once we get there.

Got my 14 miler in yesterday... 2hr 35 min. Feel pretty good about this race now. at least I know I can finish it...without getting swept or cramping up..etc.. When I registered I said 3hrs to finish since I had no idea whether I could possibly run 13 miles. I guess the starting corral shouldn't matter that much right? just end later ?

That's a great time. If I were you, I would try to find a 10K near you to do, bring a print out of the results page to the expo with you and get bumped up. If you want to take pics, you will have more of a cushion from a higher corral. At any rate, I would move up just so I don't have to stand around in the corrals any longer than I have to! I'm a *touch* impatient.

Sherekhan - can't believe Dis hasn't thought of the hair thing for the race retreat! Get those Bibbidi Bobbidi ladies in there to do Cinderella, Merida, & Belle hair! On second thought, I've seen what those kids who come out of the BBB look like - no, thanks. No offense to anyone who has taken their girls there, but the 'do that they give those little girls actually looks painful. SO glad I have boys! I would LOVE to do the pirate makeover thing with them!

Get those Bibbidi Bobbidi ladies in there to do Cinderella, Merida, & Belle hair! On second thought, I've seen what those kids who come out of the BBB look like - no, thanks. No offense to anyone who has taken their girls there, but the 'do that they give those little girls actually looks painful. SO glad I have boys! I would LOVE to do the pirate makeover thing with them!

I know!! I'm a little scared of some of them too. Some of the girls look adorable but I've seen a few who look like they've been pulled through a printing press and then lopped some rainbow spaghetti on their heads for bling. Yikes!!! I don't recall the last time I saw a princess with multi-colored extensions but that seems to be the trend at BBB. I guess the kids love it though. :confused3

Nothing too exciting but here it is

IMG_1846_zps15399dc5.jpg

I do have the Tink tshirt from Raw Threads but I just can't run in a shirt - needs to be a tank or I get all off my game. Can't have loose clothing for some reason. I may wear it for the 5km but we'll see.

Oh, and that was after my run so please be gentle, I know I look like a mess! LOL!

Very cute!!!

I know we've talked about this before but I must have been spacing out since before my ITBS issues I didn't do intervals. I would just run for as long as I can and then walk a bit and then run some more. On a short run day, I run the whole 5K without walking at all. On a long run, I aim to run the first 5K and then let myself walk .1 or so and then from there I kind of play mind games saying "You have to run at least _____ before you can walk again." At the end of it, I run more than I walk. But as I am increasing distance after PT, I am finding intervals to be helpful in keeping my ITBS in check.

Yesterday in the hamster wheel, I did 4 laps running and 1 lap walking for 10 miles. I found it was hard to get into the run at first whereas normally during the 1st mile I find my pace. With all the transitions, it took me almost 3 miles to get into a good groove. Is that normal? Toward the end, I felt very energized like I could easily keep going, so I am assuming that overall it's a good strategy. But it was so hard to get into it. Is that normal for those of you used to run/walking? Will it get easier? Or do you think I should modify and run a few miles before stating my intervals just to get myself in a groove?

And also, how frequent are the pace groups at PHM? I normally use my phone app to help me pace but my plan is to have that in my spibelt and carry my camera instead. I'll take it out now and again to check, but I don't want to be looking every 4 minutes to do interval training.

I did the Hot Chocolate 15k in Atlanta this morning. It was the hardest race I've ever done. It was warm, muggy,and ALL HILLS! I had horrible shin splints but finished in descent time- 1:44:49.
I'm not the least bit worried about the PHM after this race. No hills!

Woo hoo!!!:thumbsup2

I know we've talked about this before but I must have been spacing out since before my ITBS issues I didn't do intervals. I would just run for as long as I can and then walk a bit and then run some more. On a short run day, I run the whole 5K without walking at all. On a long run, I aim to run the first 5K and then let myself walk .1 or so and then from there I kind of play mind games saying "You have to run at least _____ before you can walk again." At the end of it, I run more than I walk. But as I am increasing distance after PT, I am finding intervals to be helpful in keeping my ITBS in check.

Yesterday in the hamster wheel, I did 4 laps running and 1 lap walking for 10 miles. I found it was hard to get into the run at first whereas normally during the 1st mile I find my pace. With all the transitions, it took me almost 3 miles to get into a good groove. Is that normal? Toward the end, I felt very energized like I could easily keep going, so I am assuming that overall it's a good strategy. But it was so hard to get into it. Is that normal for those of you used to run/walking? Will it get easier? Or do you think I should modify and run a few miles before stating my intervals just to get myself in a groove?

And also, how frequent are the pace groups at PHM? I normally use my phone app to help me pace but my plan is to have that in my spibelt and carry my camera instead. I'll take it out now and again to check, but I don't want to be looking every 4 minutes to do interval training.

I actually started doing intervals about 6 months ago because of ITBS and asthma issues, so I have some thoughts! :) I found it really hard to get into the groove of my run when I first started doing intervals, but now it's not a problem, so I think you might get used to it as you do it more. But if it doesn't bother your IT band, you could try out running a mile or two and then doing intervals. The nice thing about intervals is the flexibility.

And I don't know anything about the pace groups, but I just got a gymboss timer to do my intervals, and it's great. It beeps at me when it's time to switch, and you can set it to whatever intervals you want. Much easier than looking at my watch the way I was at first!

That's a great time. If I were you, I would try to find a 10K near you to do, bring a print out of the results page to the expo with you and get bumped up. If you want to take pics, you will have more of a cushion from a higher corral. At any rate, I would move up just so I don't have to stand around in the corrals any longer than I have to! I'm a *touch* impatient.

I just looked at Active/Coolrunnings..I think 10Ks are limited here in New England in Jan/Feb but that's okay.. I like the idea of a buffer but who knows if the FL air will mess with me. Im going into this with the goal of just finishing upright. ;-)

The Princess 1/2 is on my bucket list for 2014!! I'll be watching this thread closely for tips and strategies and cheering you all on for the February race! :woohoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter