Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I am so excited to say that on Sunday I ran the most I have ever run in my life!

I was able to complete 7.37 miles in an hour and a half!!!!!

When I hit mile 7 I began to cry because he fastest I had ever previously jogged was a 10k 6 years ago.

I had I share I am so proud!

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

poohbear8 said:
If you have a Tuesday Morning store by you, you might check there for foam rollers. I found one there for $19.99. I also saw one at Marshall's also, but it was a little shorter than the Tuesday Morning one, so I returned it. It was $14.99.

Does anyone have a pic of the foam rollers. I don't know what I am looking for

The one that was posted it what I found, but it was red. I also have the Tiger Tail. I bought it because it will fit in my suitcase if I decide I need it in Florida. http://www.tigertailusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=8922550006&CartID=0

jodipaige2004:
So, when you say "adjust to them" do you mean in the current shoes I am wearing to run? Like run in them for a few weeks in my current stability shoes? My orthodics will just be for running, not everyday wear just to clarify. I am assuming I will just take my current shoes in when the orthodics come in as I don't have neutral shoes and am hesitant to go buy some without the orthodics to try in them. I would really just be buying blindly since I have no experience with neutral shoes. My dr had suggested trying them in the shoes I have and then moving to a neutral shoe if needed. This may be a stupid question but how do the orthodics stay in the shoe? Do you glue them or do they just slide in? I am wondering if I could take them to a running store and try them with a few different pairs of neutral shoes.

Jodi

In general, your foot will need to adjust to the support from the insoles. My arches were hurting after the first few hours. I was told to wear them for a few hours at a time, then give my foot a break. Then after a few days, try running in them. I would follow your dr's advice and try them in the shoe you have. I used to wear Asics 2140, 2150, & 2160 which were all stability shoes. Once I had insoles though, I didn't need the extra support. I would also go ahead and take your shoes and the insoles to the running store and ask them to watch you run on the treadmill. They will be able to watch for any issues. I was told that the stability shoe and the insole can be too much (they both do the same thing, so it can twice the force of keeping you stable) and cause other pain issues. (which is what they think caused my knee and shin pain) They told me with my new insoles and the "new" shoes they had placed me in before I got them, that there was some slippage in the heel and that I would probably want a more cushion shoe when I replace them. I have since had to get another shoe because the insole made the shoe tighter and caused the bunion to hurt.

My orthotics (and I used the term orthotics and insoles interchangeably) just slide in. That way they can be moved to other shoes if needed. Cheaper/over the counter styles sometimes come with a little velcro dot.

I threw in the towel and came home early from work today...feeling so crummy! Too many set backs in the last month...this does not bode well for Tinker Bell and Princess :(. I've missed too many long runs and I can't imagine how I'll get through 9 this weekend! It's looking more and more like ill run Tink 'for fun' like I planned to do Princess.

Maybe I'll just try for 5 if I'm feeling up to it this weekend...I'll have 9 scheduled the following weekend again anyway so hopefully I can make one of them work.

Hang in there! I hope you feel better soon. I am behind on my training, but the few times I have tried running it did come back to me. I think you will be ok, once you feel better!

I wondered why I wasn't getting any updates for the thread..Ha, now I know!!

So, I haven't booked my ticket for Florida yet because I cannot find airfare for less than $500!! (Flying from Phoenix.) I'm really nervous about paying that much money for a ticket. But I don't want to miss out on running this race. Any tips for me to just bite the bullet and book the flight?

If you are still undecided, you might also try signing up for Kayak's emails. They emailed me daily to let me know the prices. Thanks to them, I was able to snag the cheapest flight I have ever had going home, $79! It wasn't the ideal time, but I decided to save the money and take the afternoon flight.

Also, the way I book flights is I figure out which ones I will consider on which airlines and then check them every morning and night. If I am around, I will check them during the day too. It's a bit much, but after 5 years of doing it, I have found that prices do go and up and down throughout the day. After watching it, you will see if you flight does move any and if so how much.

Thinking it HAS to come down! I need to get that airfare booked soon or I won't feel like this trip will be "real".

Also.. Had to thank the post about Tuesday morning having a foam roller. I picked one up today!

I was given the ok to run now that the stress fracture is healing but I'm babying my left leg so much because I'm nervous and it's really throwing off my mechanics. Now my right knee is in pain and I don't ever have pain there!
Oh my gosh, YES! I'm totally doing that, babying the "bad" leg because I'm terrified of it starting up in pain again. I try really hard not to, but it just sort of happens. And it just figures that my non-ITBS leg is the one with more chronic knee issues. Gah! Hang in there Tracerr - we WILL get through this! :thumbsup2:hug:

...You mentioned a few dozen pages ago that you think you would be slow because of your short legs but I still think, with your fitness level and super flexibility, you could walk the race under the time limit if you had to. Just an idea.

You have worked so hard on this crazy race! You must be so frustrated by all of this - I am so sorry!
You are so sweet - thank you! :hug: I've been doing a lot more walking at the start of my runs - a half mile or more - to make sure I'm well warmed up before running, so I've been able to get a good feel for what my walking pace really is: right around 15:20-16:00mile average. Not great, but not awful. The big issue is the scoliosis; it makes walking any faster very hard and very painful. Running isn't affected the same way at all, because I'm airborne between steps - each foot can land independently as it needs to in relation to the screwiness of my back and hips and then go through neutral before the other foot lands. That can't happen with walking, so very much walking at too fast of a pace and I get all sorts of problems in my knees, ankles and lower back. I'm a MESS, lol!

Also.. Had to thank the post about Tuesday morning having a foam roller. I picked one up today!
:thumbsup2 You'll be so glad you did!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hip-hip-HOORAY! By the end of my workday yesterday, my knee felt much better. I walked a mile, throwing in a few :30 sprints, with no pain. I did a little yoga, skipping the deepest knee bends, and my PT exercises - no pain. No pain at all on bending today, so it does seem to point toward my usual body crankiness rather than something new. Phew! :yay:

Still planning to rest today and try 5 miles tomorrow. Here's hoping!

Hi Princess Peeps!

I thought I'd check in with everyone, since things have calmed down a little. I did the 5K I've been training for last Sunday. It's a hilly course with a big crowd in my little town--a fundraiser for a local battered women's shelter. I ran/walked it in 41 minutes last year, and was shooting to better that. I've trained a LOT over the past year, so I thought I could pull that off, but my super stretch goal was to get under 35 minutes, and that was not going to be easy based on my training. Well, I did it, with a little room to spare, even: my final time was 33:42!

So now I'm back to PHM training in earnest. I've been in half marathon training pretty continuously for over a year, so it was nice to have a break where I cut the long runs a bit and focused on speed. I think my body needed that too!

I did my first non "easy" run for my princess training Thursday, 5 miles (3 tempo) from a conference in Boston. I ran along the esplanade by the Charles river, which was gorgeous, if cold. My hotel was at Copley Square, which is the finish line for the Boston Marathon, so I took some photos of the tortoise and hare statues that I'd never noticed there before, and some along the esplanade. http://runkeeper.com/user/mamacate/activity/135155484

My tempo miles went better than I expected, and all was well. I've got 7 on tap this weekend. I'm going to try to time my run for the best weather I can find.

I hope everyone is having good training, and I'm sending good thoughts to everyone struggling with injury!

Cate

Hi Princesses!
I did the princess marathon a few years back and it was AWESOME!

Wondering if you could help me out. I am thinking about doing the Expedition Everest Challenge but working up a budget first. Does anyone know how much a 7 day park hopper ticket is with the Princess Discount? I figure it will be about the same for Everest. Also, can you get the water park and more option? How much is that?

Thanks for your help!!
-nat

When it rains, it pours. Or something like that. I'd posted about my infection and dealing with my mom's surgery. Since then I've had to reschedule a final because DS had to be picked up early - he has strep. Then yesterday DH was unexpectedly fired for basically no real reason (stupid at will state :rolleyes:). While he was home with sick kiddo making calls, I went to pick up DD from school and got rear ended in the pick-up line. :( My car is okay, and other than minor whiplash, I'm fine. I'm just over it though, and I could really use a little bit of good luck. I'll take any spare pixie dust you all have to offer. :wizard: We have a tentative plan in place. If it works out, it will probably be better for us. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do until Mon to get things in motion. Depending on how long it takes to find a job and what the job pays, I'm not sure if I'll make it down for the PHM or not, but I'm going to keep assuming I will.

mamacate said:
Hi Princess Peeps!

I thought I'd check in with everyone, since things have calmed down a little. I did the 5K I've been training for last Sunday. It's a hilly course with a big crowd in my little town--a fundraiser for a local battered women's shelter. I ran/walked it in 41 minutes last year, and was shooting to better that. I've trained a LOT over the past year, so I thought I could pull that off, but my super stretch goal was to get under 35 minutes, and that was not going to be easy based on my training. Well, I did it, with a little room to spare, even: my final time was 33:42!

So now I'm back to PHM training in earnest. I've been in half marathon training pretty continuously for over a year, so it was nice to have a break where I cut the long runs a bit and focused on speed. I think my body needed that too!

I did my first non "easy" run for my princess training Thursday, 5 miles (3 tempo) from a conference in Boston. I ran along the esplanade by the Charles river, which was gorgeous, if cold. My hotel was at Copley Square, which is the finish line for the Boston Marathon, so I took some photos of the tortoise and hare statues that I'd never noticed there before, and some along the esplanade. http://runkeeper.com/user/mamacate/activity/135155484

My tempo miles went better than I expected, and all was well. I've got 7 on tap this weekend. I'm going to try to time my run for the best weather I can find.

I hope everyone is having good training, and I'm sending good thoughts to everyone struggling with injury!

Cate

Awesome job on the 5k!

MoonFaerie said:
When it rains, it pours. Or something like that. I'd posted about my infection and dealing with my mom's surgery. Since then I've had to reschedule a final because DS had to be picked up early - he has strep. Then yesterday DH was unexpectedly fired for basically no real reason (stupid at will state :rolleyes:). While he was home with sick kiddo making calls, I went to pick up DD from school and got rear ended in the pick-up line. :( My car is okay, and other than minor whiplash, I'm fine. I'm just over it though, and I could really use a little bit of good luck. I'll take any spare pixie dust you all have to offer. :wizard: We have a tentative plan in place. If it works out, it will probably be better for us. Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do until Mon to get things in motion. Depending on how long it takes to find a job and what the job pays, I'm not sure if I'll make it down for the PHM or not, but I'm going to keep assuming I will.

That does all suck! I hope everything starts to look better soon.

I am really hoping that someone can tell me that cooler weather/ wind/ rain and or shoes wearing out can impact performance. About a month ago, I was doing so much better. I would run and not feel "tapped" afterward. My pace was little less to a little more than a 10 min/ mile. I even did a 5k race in 31 minutes. Two months ago I did an extremely hilly 10k with a pace of about 10 1/2 min/mile.

Currently I have had to slow my pace way down In order to feel "ok". I have had some hamstring strain... But it is really an overall energy issue not pain. Yesterday I rant 3+ miles with a pace (I believe )just over 11 min per mile It was cold and very windy. When I got done I had no energy left.

Today was a 10k that I had hoped to do. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I am following a training program for a half marathon and I am scheduled to run again today.... But with it threatening to snow, I have yet to even drag myself out of bed.

So could it be the weather? Could my shoes be impacting my runs? (The tred is noticeably worn). Or is it possible that I have been fighting something off for the last couple weeks?

Sorry I just am looking for an explanation for my "slump". I guess I figure if I know what the problem is I can adjust.

The last possible piece to my puzzle is my toe nails. There are a couple that are turning purple These toes are not pinched- my shoes are not too tight, but I have assumed that it had to do with physical trauma to them. With the energy issue though I am wondering if it isn't a sign of something else?

I really need someone to tell me it is just weather....or better yet my shoes :)

You are so right, when it rains it pours. I am so sorry you have so much going on and trying to deal with everything. I hope these challenges will all lead to somethng even better. Try and hang in there and I hope things get better soon for you and your family.

I am really hoping that someone can tell me that cooler weather/ wind/ rain and or shoes wearing out can impact performance. About a month ago, I was doing so much better. I would run and not feel "tapped" afterward. My pace was little less to a little more than a 10 min/ mile. I even did a 5k race in 31 minutes. Two months ago I did an extremely hilly 10k with a pace of about 10 1/2 min/mile.

Currently I have had to slow my pace way down In order to feel "ok". I have had some hamstring strain... But it is really an overall energy issue not pain. Yesterday I rant 3+ miles with a pace (I believe )just over 11 min per mile It was cold and very windy. When I got done I had no energy left.

Today was a 10k that I had hoped to do. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I am following a training program for a half marathon and I am scheduled to run again today.... But with it threatening to snow, I have yet to even drag myself out of bed.

So could it be the weather? Could my shoes be impacting my runs? (The tred is noticeably worn). Or is it possible that I have been fighting something off for the last couple weeks?

Sorry I just am looking for an explanation for my "slump". I guess I figure if I know what the problem is I can adjust.

The last possible piece to my puzzle is my toe nails. There are a couple that are turning purple These toes are not pinched- my shoes are not too tight, but I have assumed that it had to do with physical trauma to them. With the energy issue though I am wondering if it isn't a sign of something else?

I really need someone to tell me it is just weather....or better yet my shoes :)

Sorry to hear of your trouble. If it was me the first thing I would go is go get another pair of shoes. It sounds like you need them anyway and then maybe you can rule the other issues out if it was the shoes.

MoonFaerie said:

Oh i'm really sorry to hear about your dh's job. That really stinks. I pray he finds a new and better job asap. I will keep all you guys in my thoughts and prayers :-)

Sorry to hear of your trouble. If it was me the first thing I would go is go get another pair of shoes. It sounds like you need them anyway and then maybe you can rule the other issues out if it was the shoes.

I am just whining.... :rolleyes: It really isn't trouble..

Looks like a shopping day for me. ;)

annmarieda said:

Regarding your energy issue. I had a similar experience towards the end of my training for the wine and dine. I was bone dead tired and napping all the time. I thought it was mileage. Turns out, it was too much Halloween candy and carbs. The holiday just threw my diet out of wack a lot. And the mileage doesn't help of course. :)

As for toes, my second toes always seem to bruise no matter what shoes. I found the only things that help are different fluffier socks and making sure my shoes aren't tied too loose. When they are and I run down hill that's the worst.

annmarieda said:
I am just whining.... :rolleyes: It really isn't trouble..

Looks like a shopping day for me. ;)

Yes! Go shopping. Shopping makes everything better. Seriously, though. I've been in a bit of a slump myself this week. Had my first half last weekend and didn't do any running to speak of the week leading up to it. Then I've done no running this week. So I understand your slump. I'm calling mine just pure laziness though. I did have a 5k today that I totally was about to PR until the finish line showed up WAY before the actual 5k mark. I felt completely jipped by that. It did, however, remind me how much I love this sport when I allow myself to. Hope you find your happy running place soon.

Wow, Moon, that is just an impossible load of stuff to deal with. I really hope your new plan goes well and that you wind up on the upside of all of this, but I know this kind of uncertainty and disruption, especially this time of year, is just really tough.

Your PHM buddies will be thinking of you and hoping for good news coming along soon. :hug:

Far be it from me to deter anyone from shoe shopping :scared1: but this sounds like overtraining to me.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/classic-signs-youre-overtraining
http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/do-you-make-these-5-running-mistakes

I've had a few moments in my training that have been like this. Hard work will pay off, but sometimes you need to take some time to roll things back and do some recovery. As they say, rest is where the actual improvement happens. It's in response to the stress of training, but the recovery builds the muscles.

Whatever the cause, I hope you bounce back soon!

Cate

MoonFaerie said:

Regarding the whole job situation, I found myself in the same boat just before ToT. I lost my job of 7.5 years for no reason other than they needed a place to park my boss. It sucked! I chose to still go because I refused to let my employment situation interfere with my life. Simply put, it's how I kept my sanity. I hope you can still find a way to go. Just remember that things can look up just as quickly as they went south. It literally only takes one phone call, which can happen any moment.

Help! I have been SO disorganized the past few months (completely unlike me!!!!!) that I have lost all my confirmation #'s and such. I have spent the past hour tracking everything down.

The only thing missing right now is info on our park tix. I am *almost* certain that I purchased them either over the phone or online through RunDisney. Assuming I did, would I have gotten a confirmation e-mail? If so, from where? I can't find anything and its driving me crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter