Official 2012 Wine and Dine ½ Marathon Thread

Anyone else walking this race?

I think I will be doing more walking than running as I am very unfit but I am working on improving my fitness. I have gone from 1 mile in 25 min to 1 mile in 17 min... I work a lot of hours so a lot of my training is on the treadmill. Last night I went to jump on it and it started in make a strange click click sound in the motor. Hope its not major :confused3 as I'm not a morning person to run at the crack of dawn.. Mainly due to my work hours.

how annoying is it that I grew up in nj and we never went to disney for teachers' convention??

Didn't you know that we are so much cooler than our parents? :lmao: I went 1x in elementary school and then again on my senior trip. My 4yo has gone more than that each year!

Anyone else walking this race?

My friend is definitely walking. I hope to jog(11 minute mile) and walk (14 minute mile) maybe a mile of each the entire way. But we have definitely been joking that we should get a ticket refund if we arrive after the after-party!

And yes, I know there is a time limit....

Didn't you know that we are so much cooler than our parents? :lmao: I went 1x in elementary school and then again on my senior trip. My 4yo has gone more than that each year!

yeah that must be it! my parents always worked over teachers convention, which was also always my birthday and would have been great for disney...but whatever! I get to do disney as an adult now. my parents did take us twice - when I was 12 and 14! (spring break)

My dear sweet pups (4 & 4½) decided to use my Vibrams as a chew toy yesterday. They have never been big chewers of anything and never a shoe, sandal or boot. My other half was never fond of the color of them, so he rationalized that it was so I can get a new pair in a more appealing color.:confused3

Anyone running this at the beginning of their vacation? We just changed our dates. Before this race would have been at the end of a 10 night vacation, now it would be at the beginning. Worried about hurting my foot or being too tired to have a good time. Since the race was just an after thought I'm now wondering if racing at the beginning of our stay (we've been saving for 3 years) is a bad idea. This would be my 7th half marathon but I'm prone to foot injury. I may have to sit this one out. Can't decide.:confused3

Anyone running this at the beginning of their vacation? We just changed our dates. Before this race would have been at the end of a 10 night vacation, now it would be at the beginning. Worried about hurting my foot or being too tired to have a good time. Since the race was just an after thought I'm now wondering if racing at the beginning of our stay (we've been saving for 3 years) is a bad idea. This would be my 7th half marathon but I'm prone to foot injury. I may have to sit this one out. Can't decide.:confused3

I think the race at beginning of vacation is better than at the end. If the race is at the end, you have been on your feet so much leading to the race, that your legs are going to be wore out. You will probably be more prone to injury.

If you hurt yourself in the run (I am hoping you don't), you can always enjoy a scooter or have someone push you in a wheel chair for a few days. Disney races are fun and not really ideal for a PR. So if you don't overdo it, you will be fine for your vacation.

I think the race at beginning of vacation is better than at the end. If the race is at the end, you have been on your feet so much leading to the race, that your legs are going to be wore out. You will probably be more prone to injury.

This is exactly what happened to me at last year's W&D. We went down on Wednesday and walked the parks for two full, hard days (Thursday and Friday). By Friday evening, I could tell my calf was tight and not doing well. Sure enough, at mile 6 on Saturday night, just outside of Animal Kingdom, I pulled my calf. Just over-did it. Live and learn.

This year? To heck with the Food & Wine Festival. I'm arriving on Friday, getting my registration out of the way, then resting until Saturday evening. THEN I'll do parks the following week.

Just my experience. YMMV.

This year? To heck with the Food & Wine Festival. I'm arriving on Friday, getting my registration out of the way, then resting until Saturday evening. THEN I'll do parks the following week.

This is the biggest reason that I don't agree with the date change for the race. If you wait for F&W until after the race, you are left with less than a day by the time you get up from the late night party. I really don't understand why they picked the very last weekend of the F&W for the race. :confused3 I hope they move it up at least one weekend next year.

Dh and I are registered! This will be our first half, and I imagine we will be walking alot of it, I am so excited!!

This is the biggest reason that I don't agree with the date change for the race. If you wait for F&W until after the race, you are left with less than a day by the time you get up from the late night party. I really don't understand why they picked the very last weekend of the F&W for the race. :confused3 I hope they move it up at least one weekend next year.

I agree. I have always done the race and enjoyed to Food and Wine Festival afterwards. Moving it up one weekend would make sense to me (unless there is something I am missing).

Unfortunately this year will be a quick trip for me (go down, run the race, and come back home). So my only food and wine time will be the party after the race.

I *think* we will be OK with our plan... We are staying at the AKL from Sunday-Saturday before our cruise and then we will be on a 7 night on the Fantasy (I'm hoping we will have the fortitude to A) not overeat and B) exercise twice while on the boat on sea days) and then run the race the night we disembark. We'll have a week to run around having fun, then 7 relaxing days with lots of sleep leading up to an awesome race..! I just hope we don't stress out too much with it looming at the end! :thumbsup2

Does anyone know where the 2011 Wine and Dine Race thread is. I've searched and searched but can only find 2010. You would think there would be a lot of good info on the most recent thread from last year since a lot of changes were made from the inagural.:confused3

How soon we will know the dates for the 2013 F&W race? This is on my to-do list!!!!!

It will probably be 10 months or so... they announced the dates a few weeks before registration began. The RUMORS of when it would be based on the last couple of years was way off base even though it was even printed somewhere official. We booked a cruise for the original guess and were so sad when we had to move it (plus it cost us $500 more than we originally had booked at!) so I would definitely encourage you to wait for the OFFICIAL announcement.

Thanks Aquadame! We are planning a trip for Nov 2013 and I would love to be able to include this race in our plans! I would hate be have to make the changes like you did.

I signed up today with the DVC discount, just waiting on the 7 month window for an Epcot DVC, and watching airfare.

I have a 10k in May and 1/2 relay in Sept, then back to Disney for my 2nd 1/2, oh my! For a girl who hated running in hight school and took a bus for distances longer then 1k last January this is shaping up to be an awesome year.

Pj

Where can I find a course description? I have an Ifit on my treadmill and I want to download the W&D course, so I can start training. Thanks:thumbsup2

Where can I find a course description? I have an Ifit on my treadmill and I want to download the W&D course, so I can start training. Thanks:thumbsup2

Oh, we do too but I have never used it! Is there a way to put the course on there?! My mind is blown...

I signed up today with the DVC discount, just waiting on the 7 month window for an Epcot DVC, and watching airfare.

I have a 10k in May and 1/2 relay in Sept, then back to Disney for my 2nd 1/2, oh my! For a girl who hated running in hight school and took a bus for distances longer then 1k last January this is shaping up to be an awesome year.

Pj

DVC discount? Could you please tell me where along the registration process you did that? I've been doing Disney races for years and other than the marathon in Jan I never seem to see any option for the DVC discount.

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter