Official 2012 Wine and Dine ½ Marathon Thread

I'm registered for the half, my DD is registered for the Kids Races, and my husband will register later for the 5K. We'll be staying at the Dolphin 11/9-11/12. Yay!!

From past experience, does anyone happen to know what kind of room discount (if any) you get over regular rates by calling the WDW-IRUN number tomorrow?

If we went ahead and booked with whatever rate they give us and a better general public discount came out later, would we have any issue getting that rate applied instead?

I am also wondering if you need to book a full package with park tickets and/or dining plan to get any discount. At this point, I only need the room because we have not yet determined if we want the dining plan or want to tour any parks while we are there.
I only did the 5K last year for the W&D 1/2 weekend, and they did do discounted rates for those who had registered. Unfortunately I don't remember what they were. However, I had a 35% off pin code that I used for my room and that came out to be considerably better than what runDisney offered (I stayed at ASMusic)...so judging by that, I wouldn't expect anything substantial. From my personal experience, though...any time I had a room booked with one promo and wanted to apply a different promo, I've had to cancel and rebook. Wasn't a big deal, only took a couple minutes. It's been awhile since I've done that, so I'm not sure if that has changed. As far as packages being required...none were last year. The discount was for room only. runDisney offered discounted tickets to participants separate from the room and you had to use a specific link (and password) to access the page to buy them (participants and friends/family of the participant could get the tickets). The tickets were a great deal for me...got a 2 day park hopper for about $130 (tax included), as opposed to the same ticket for $223 (pre-tax) at regular price.

Just registered! Excited to be going for my Coast to Coast in 2012. :yay:

Have to wait for my 7 month window to open to book my hotel. Probably will try SSR. :cool2:

experienced runners:
I'm training for this 1/2 pretty much from scratch - meaning I'm not a runner. I'm right now up to running 25 minutes which for me is almost 2 miles. I'm slooow. Can anyone tell me if running will ever come easier to me? Is there any chance I'll be able to run 13 in November?

I'm in for my first ever race! I'm excited and PETRIFIED!!! We'll be staying at BLT, unless I switch reservations at the 7 month mark.

experienced runners:
I'm training for this 1/2 pretty much from scratch - meaning I'm not a runner. I'm right now up to running 25 minutes which for me is almost 2 miles. I'm slooow. Can anyone tell me if running will ever come easier to me? Is there any chance I'll be able to run 13 in November?

Yes, it will definitely,get easier. All experienced runners have been where you are. Do your best to make it fun and enjoy it. The more you run, the better you will feel. There is no doubt you can do this. Also look at the Galloway Run / walk method. You would be surprised of the success others have had with it. Good luck and keep it up.

Yes, it will definitely,get easier. All experienced runners have been where you are. Do your best to make it fun and enjoy it. The more you run, the better you will feel. There is no doubt you can do this. Also look at the Galloway Run / walk method. You would be surprised of the success others have had with it. Good luck and keep it up.

if I can already run for 25 minutes (slowly!) should I still go to Jeff Galloway run/walk? any advice on where to start with it - I assume not from week 1? (I'm on week 7 of the couch to 5K).

experienced runners:

Yes, absolutely! All you need to do is keep up a 16 min/mile to not get swept from the race. For my first 1/2 at the Tink earlier this year we kept to 1 min run/ 1 min walk at 3.5 & 5.5 mph and ended with fuel in the tank so to speak and with a 2:50 time after stopping a couple of times for potty breaks and quick pictures. We're going for faster this time of course..! I am NOT a runner (working on that) but just doing 30 min at 1:1 3x a week and longer runs every other weekend really were all it took! If you put in the time, you'll make it just fine!:thumbsup2

I'm planning on signing up, but I'm waiting till a few things at work are decided and confirmed. That should hopefully be in the next few weeks. This is going to be my focus race of the year so I'm excited for it...

Just registered a bit ago!

if I can already run for 25 minutes (slowly!) should I still go to Jeff Galloway run/walk? any advice on where to start with it - I assume not from week 1? (I'm on week 7 of the couch to 5K).
I did the switch from Couch to 5K to Jeff Galloway's method (starting right from the beginning) and wish I had simply started with Jeff Galloway. I feel like my time is much better, and I don't feel nearly as tired as I was when I was doing C25K. But that's with me. Everyone is different and there isn't a one size fits all training method. This will be my first half, so I'm excited (yet anxious/nervous) to see how I will do.

Yes, absolutely! All you need to do is keep up a 16 min/mile to not get swept from the race. For my first 1/2 at the Tink earlier this year we kept to 1 min run/ 1 min walk at 3.5 & 5.5 mph and ended with fuel in the tank so to speak and with a 2:50 time after stopping a couple of times for potty breaks and quick pictures. We're going for faster this time of course..! I am NOT a runner (working on that) but just doing 30 min at 1:1 3x a week and longer runs every other weekend really were all it took! If you put in the time, you'll make it just fine!:thumbsup2

how do you know how fast you're going when you walk / run? that's another hard thing for me right now - I'm scared to go outside since I won't know my pace or how far I'm going!

I would do run/walk and start with the beginner plan from the beginning, even if you finish the couch to 5k first. That's what I did and I'm glad I did it that way.

As for pace, I did 100% of my training on the treadmill with one 10k outside. I was able to get outside for a handful of one mile runs to acclimate to running on my own. My best advice is to try not to think about it when you are running. After you spend a lot of time training around a certain speed on the treadmill, you will find the pace naturally if you start off slowly. I was able to maintain a 12 minute mile for the entire Princess and felt great! (I was doing a 12:30mm for my long runs previously).

How much is it for family to join the after party in Epcot? Would my family of DH, DD8 and DD12 enjoy it? Can they enter before I finish? I've read posts about people being too tired or sick to enjoy the party and long lines. Don't want to waste $200+ for them to attend the party that non of us enjoy. (Not to mention the time.) Would appreciate any insight from previous participates.

How much is it for family to join the after party in Epcot? Would my family of DH, DD8 and DD12 enjoy it? Can they enter before I finish? I've read posts about people being too tired or sick to enjoy the party and long lines. Don't want to waste $200+ for them to attend the party that non of us enjoy. (Not to mention the time.) Would appreciate any insight from previous participates.

I want to say it was $45-55 last year. I k ow the price went up the closer it got.

As far as long lines, that was a problem they had the first year. Last year went great. Some food stations got crowded, but most rides were walk-on and open, at least the major ones and I don't think I had to wait more than 5-10 minutes in the longest of the food booth lines. They definitely learned from the first year. I had a blast at the after party.

well I registered! :) I also registered for my first 5K which is going to be in 2.5 weeks! I hope I can do it!

I will look at the Jeff Galloway plan. I wonder how silly I will feel fooling with the treadmill so much for the run/walk intervals! (I run at the gym). I guess I will finish the c25k first though...

My DH & DD have done the post-race party both years. Disliked it immensely the first year; loved it immensely last year. It is definitely a late night, so as long as everyone is well rested, it's not bad at all. They can get in the park at 10:30pm (30min after race-start) and can enjoy all the rides/food booths before the race finishers start to roll in. Without a relay this year, the park *should* fill up later than last year, but with the entire park available, does Epcot really ever 'fill up'? :cool2:

I finished the race in almost 3hrs last year, and I was able to get to the 2-3 food booths I *really* wanted to hit - and that's wandering back to World Showcase with my severely blistered friend and my very sore sister (I wasn't in too bad of shape, actually). We didn't do any rides (but my family and I are Seasonal Passholders - this isn't that important to us.) This year I plan to be a full 30 minutes faster, and not as sore, so I should be able to enjoy MORE of the food booths. :)

Since the kids races and the 5K are early in the AM on Saturday (DD & DH races) and the half is Saturday night (me), there will most definitely be a nap in our plans for Saturday during the day. :)

This weekend I found out that my DD20 wants to run/walk with me, so since my registration fee just doubled I decided to wait a few weeks before registering for the 1/2. But I did register Dh and I for the 5K in the morning and my younger DD for the kids race. What a long day that will be for me! This is my 3rd Disney 5K but that is most I have run ever! So a 1/2 will definitely involve training all summer.

We are booked at the WLV for the first part of the week and then moving to the Swan. I was really hoping the Beach Club would be close in price, but nope! But I guess since I will hopefully be napping most of the afternoon, it really doesn't matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter