off to the bank with my loose change!

Happiest mommy

DIS Veteran
Hi all just wanted to know how many of you guys fill up jars of loose change and then go to the bank and get cash back? this has really worked out for us as we acumulate a ton of change and put it towards bills:thumbsup2

I never can seem to make it to the bank when it is open. I fill up jars of change, and take it to the coinstar machine at our grocery store. I get back amazon gift cards that I put onto my amazon account. Then I use it to help with the Christmas shopping. :thumbsup2

I go every year on Dec 31st (or as close as I can) with my now 5 year old and we turn it in at our bank which lets us count for free. It's all the coins we have collected over the whole year. Shows him what it is like to save and he has fun using the machine.

We recently cashed in change. In a few years we has accumulated almost $2000. The people at TD Bank had to keep changing out the coin bags in the coin counter! If you faithfully throw whatever change is in your pocket at the end of the day, it really adds up.

I don't know if my bank would just take a jar of change. I usually roll my change. That's half of the fun for me.

We have a big water jug like they use in an office and it is almost full I think we are going to use the money for vacation! Can't wait to see how much is in it!

We have a special piggy bank for all change and sometimes my husband throws a bill or two in there. We go to the bank to cash it out once or twice a year, and usually get $300 or so. It is fun!

My boys have a piggy bank and they put all their money in there. Bills or coins, makes no difference.

A week before black friday we take it to the bank, they keep 25% of whatever the amount is (usually around $200) and take the rest to buy toys for kids in need. Then they see what promotions places like Target & Walmart would have on toys, they make a list and send my DH @ 4:00 a.m :lmao:on black friday to get the toys. We wrapped them up and take them to the local rescue mission place.

We like this family tradition.

We have a Mickey jar that my husband and I both throw our silver change into. Pennies go into a separate jug. The pennies my daughter takes to the coin machine and gets an Amazon card right before it is time for her to buy her textbooks. The silver we cash in once a year for spending money on one of our Disney trips. We usually have around $400.

My bank has free coin coining machines. It is great. Dump in your jars of coins, it prints out the exact amount of each coin put in and the total. Take to counter to get cash back or to deposit it. When we did a fundraiser for our school, we collected over $2000 in ALL pennies for a penny war. The staff was great about changing bag after bag of filled penny containers. The bank manager even brought out a rolling cart to help us bring in from car. Metro Bank in Central PA... used to be Commerce Bank of PA.

We just cashed in $200 from our change jar for our trip next week. :banana: Of course, we also ended up with canadian money, euros, bingo chips, and assorted other objects that DS2 probably deposited into the jar...

We have an old Jack Daniels bottle that we fill. When it is full we dump iit into an ice cream pail (Disney fund)! We willl use it for spending money on our trips or airfare. Being a hair stylist I take my tips in five dollar increments and cash anything under into quarters. So between one to four dollars a day!! It adds up pretty fast and this way my husband can't complain that we have another trip planned.

We also like to cash in our collected coins before a family vacation. It's amazing how all that spare change adds up!:thumbsup2

The kids also know before we go to Disney to keep some nice shiny new pennies and also some quarters for the souvenir penny machines. :laughing:

we just roll ours and take it to the bank whenever we finish a roll or 2. $193 in a special account for the baby in just 9 months rolling! and that's not even religiously dropping all change daily... we do it at the end of the week.

Another TD Bank customer here. Love their free coin counting machines. :thumbsup2

We have an old Goofy coffee can that we use as a change jar. I don't think I've ever let it get all the way full before cashing it in because it gets too heavy to lug in to the bank! We usually have about $60-$70 when we cash in - it goes into our Disney fund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter