off to the bank with my loose change!

Ours goes to the next Disney cruise. Last time it was a little over $1100 but that was for over a year of collecting change. We go again in May but I think we only have around $500 this time so far since this past May.

I love rolling my change, always have. I used to take it to the grocery store (Publix) and exchanging it at the customer service desk. No questions asked.

Part of why I roll it too, is to take out all the old coins, like the old wheat pennies or drummer boy quarters, and here and there I get the occasional foreign coin.

Right now I'm working on filling a 5 gal water jug. It's almost getting to the point of being too heavy, but it's only a tiny bit filled, like a 1/10. And I will always break a dollar, unless I really have to use change.

I hate to be the rain cloud here, but I'd hate to not say anything and have it happen to one of you!

Be very careful with how much change you keep in your house. When our house was robbed, it was one of the few things that was stolen. The police told us it was because it was completely untraceable and easily portable. (Especially once they took my favorite pillowcase to dump it in!)

Again, I don't want to be a rain cloud -- I just hate the thought of someone's vacation fund (and some of you have lots -- wow!) vanishing the way ours did.

I am one of those people that never have cash on me so it is hard to do the change thing. I do have a cookie jar that I use so I use that to collect change.

When I do have cash, I throw in the dollar bills and the change. I did it last year only for about two months and had $100. I am trying to do it for the whole year this time.

We shall see.

We have the change jar, 2 actually one for pennies and one for silver. We wrapped twice this year (none last year) and deposited it into our Disney account. I am not remembering for sure now how much it was but one deposit was around $500 and the other $250 or so, so at least $750 in change. I will go to buy something for a dollar, it comes out $1.08 and if the kkids are with me, they want me to pay with $2 and get change.

Wrapping it to them is always so much fun and it does add up fast. I use my debit card a lot, can't imagine how much it would be if we were a cash only family.

I have been collecting my change for disney! plus small bills and every now and then if I have an extra $20 I throw it in there!

My dad is the king of collecting change! Cashes in every 2 or 3 months and comes out with $600 or $700 bucks!!!!

I do this every year for trip spending money. It's usually a few hundred bucks. I never use change in stores. Even if something comes to say $5.02, I never give change, I want the change for my jar. LOL

Years ago, in my single days, I saved my change jar for almost 2 years and paid for my airfare and hostel in Ireland for a week.

Stash that change. It really adds up

Even if you don't have an account with TD bank you can use their penny arcade,you bring your change put it into the slots and it counts how much you have and shoots out a receipt at the end which you take to the counter to get your money,no fee or anything.You also get a guess at how much money you have in change before you put the change in and if you're close you get a prize.I did this about 5 months ago when I had like $70 in pennies alone,no quarters,dimes or nickels.

I keep change and at the end of the week I will throw in any remaining 1's. I usually don't have many 1's since I typically use those versus giving exact change. I like to get the change. We had cashed all but $50 at Christmas and then for our cruise in September we cashed in our change in May for our passports, $370 for all four of us. I was impressed we had collected that much in 5 months.

We usually use the change for spending money on vacation or our blow money at Christmas for the random thing we want to pick up for someone not in the budget.

Wow, surprising how many people actually use real money these days with direct deposit and debit cards.

I could save my change for 10 years and probably still only get about $20.

What change I do get anyways, the kids seem to sniff out and it disappears.

It's 105-115 degrees at work in the summers and the Powerade in the machines are subsidized by the company and only $0.60. Its tough for me to even scrounge up $0.60 so I can grab a Powerade at work now and then (you can only stand to drink so much plain water when you probably drink 3-4 gallons of it a day. The Powerade is a welcome change of flavor for lunchtime.)

We will be turning in all of change the day before we head to WDW (in 49 days!) I can't wait to see how much we have. We have separate jars for silver and pennies and I can hardly lift the penny jar. The silver is collected in a Disney popcorn bucket and is about 1/2 inch from being totally full. The pennies we have been saving for a long time but the silver for about 6 months.

DH has also been trying to put $1 a day into each of the kids banks for spending money and they each have over $100 in their banks!

I have heard about people having their loose change stolen and do have mine hidden.

Keep saving that change, it really does add up!

Trish

We cashed in our change before our Feb. Trip and I was so surprised we had almost $400 in quarters. That more than covered our gas and tolls for the trip (It cost us $300-$350 round trip gas and tolls), so that meant more money for fun! We are saving it again for our next trip, DH wants to go in August but, I'm not too sure about the heat.

Oh, I like this idea of a change jar! :cool1: Even though our trip is in only 4 months, we do seem to end up with lots of change around this house (I just picked up 23 cents off the floor, lol). I don't think we'd even miss the change-it just makes my purse heavy anyways!

I might challenge the family to see if we can come up with enough for renting Sea Raycers-dh thinks they look cool! I'll find this thread in Feb and see how we did :)

I love using our change jar. We probably only accumulate about $200 per year, but it's better than nothing. And with over 2 years to our next trip, we should have a bit saved up. I'm thinking it'll probably pay for all our food on the next trip. We also throw in any unexpected money we get. Like, my FIL will give DH $20 here and there for helping him with big projects around the house, that sort of thing. I'm also planning on putting any Christmas or birthday money in there.

I've been trying to find a place to turn my change in that doesn't take a cut or give me a gift card. Compass Bank and Bank of America don't take change. We used to use Compass for it since they would take rolled coins but last time we tried a year or two ago they told us they couldn't take it. I'd like to have the extra money for our December trip.

We usually sit on a cold winter day and roll our coins. But before we start we each take a guess at how much is there. We are amased to find out that there is usually much more it the jug than what we guessed.

I don't know if my bank would just take a jar of change. I usually roll my change. That's half of the fun for me.

Me too.. I enjoy rolling it and then I take it to the bank and put t in a special account that I put 'found' money in..like change, rebates, little extras. I really don't need that account anymore..I opened it because I needed an account with the credit union ( I have other accounts at a different credit union, but this one beat my other for loan rate) to finance a car. Well, the car is paid off, so I could close the account since this one doesn't have a specified purpose, but I like having it. Anyway, I'm going to take a chunk of it to give my son, who is graduating from the Police Academy, a trip to a Dallas Cowboys football game.
I really do enjoy the process of rolling it and would not want to take it to a machine and lose a percentage.

We keep our change jar in the bedroom so when DH takes his pants off he dumps his coins in the jar. I also have a little one on the kitchen counter. I even have one on the dryer for all the loose coins that end up in the laundry. Then one on the dryer seems to collect a lot of $1 bills which comes in handy when we order a pizza and we don't have enough bills in our pocket.

Oh, I like this idea of a change jar! :cool1: Even though our trip is in only 4 months, we do seem to end up with lots of change around this house (I just picked up 23 cents off the floor, lol). I don't think we'd even miss the change-it just makes my purse heavy anyways!

I might challenge the family to see if we can come up with enough for renting Sea Raycers-dh thinks they look cool! I'll find this thread in Feb and see how we did :)

If you live near a TD bank, they have a change counter that gives youa receipt. Go up to the counter and then they give you the money and you don't have to be an account holder. As for the Bank of America. It is up to each individual branch on taking change vs not. I used to work for them and my branch would but others wouldn't. Too many people were short changing the rolls and then the poor tellers would have to take the difference! try TD Bank though!

We have a large peanut jar we use for change. My 3 almost 4 year old and I go whenever it is full. Our bank has a change machine so we don't have to wrap it. We dump it but all the money that accumulates in the jar goes in her money market account. I guess for whatever she will need when she is older.....who knows college, books, a car....we have not gotten that far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter