October 2015 Car Rental Watch

So, I was just reviewing my original Alamo reservation ($161 for a standard/full size, 8 days) and noticed that it didn't appear that I had the $30 visa coupon applied to it. I called Alamo, and apparently I had some other coupon on it (not the visa one, and not for $30 off) so they removed the old one, added the Visa AD2338FDF, and now I'm down to $142.11 :woohoo:. That's less than the Vegas Brazil code w/the Visa coupon, and only $9 more than my Budget reservation (which I can kill once I get home).

Now THAT is a rate I'm happy with.....even if it is in USD.

So Gina what are your dates and what code besides the visa are you using? I would like to get as low as I can without the vegas code but feel better knowing the CDW insurance is no longer on there.

So Gina what are your dates and what code besides the visa are you using? I would like to get as low as I can without the vegas code but feel better knowing the CDW insurance is no longer on there.

My dates are October 10th to 17th inclusive. No discount code (other than being logged in as an alamo insider), plus the visa coupon.

Back in June, I got $155 for a midsize for a week and 4 hrs. beginning 10/13 coupon code AF5365ODH and contract code 7014926 No printouts required, valid for anyone.

Great rate for just insider and visa. My dates are 10-28-11/4 so maybe they will drop a little. I can hope anyways. I have never paid more than $100 in my past trips.

Back in June, I got $155 for a midsize for a week and 4 hrs. beginning 10/13 coupon code AF5365ODH and contract code 7014926 No printouts required, valid for anyone.

Marshmelo, I think that code is the one I had been using originally as well (its for a free day I believe?). If you have a Visa card (and plan to pay for your rental with it), it might be worth calling to see if swapping that coupon code out for the Visa $30 off gives you a little better rate. I figure the savings from the switcheroo on the codes saved me enough to justify indulging in a Mickey Pants sundae at MNSSHP :p .

Great rate for just insider and visa. My dates are 10-28-11/4 so maybe they will drop a little. I can hope anyways. I have never paid more than $100 in my past trips.

There seemed to be a "sweet spot" for booking with Alamo in latter half June ("bottoming out" around the 25th). Rates had been high-ish up until that point, then went on a steady decline for about a week. They shot back up afterward, and they have stayed that way since.

So who is the Vegas code supposed to be for? Also, anyway to avoid the additional driver fee using those codes. I have Costco, BJs Wholesale and USAA. Using the Vegas and visa codes Im only paying $75 more for a van than I was for a standard car but it's 9.99 a day for a second driver. October 7 - 16

Last edited:
So who is the Vegas code supposed to be for? Also, anyway to avoid the additional driver fee using those codes. I have Costco, BJs Wholesale and USAA. Using the Vegas and visa codes Im only paying $75 more for a van than I was for a standard car but it's 9.99 a day for a second driver. October 7 - 16

No one knows, which makes it even more interesting that people are running to use it. o_O

Only Costco gives you the second driver free out of those you mentioned.

No one knows, which makes it even more interesting that people are running to use it. o_O

Only Costco gives you the second driver free out of those you mentioned.
Yes but can I use the Costco and vegas brazil code together?

What thread is it that your following?
Yes as Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina replied that is the thread I have been following. In addition several people on this thread have reported using the code successfully at both MCO and Cape Canaveral.

Anyone else here HATE Alamo's website?!?! I tried to check my reservations yesterday and today but can't access them. I see them on my insider account. When I ask to view them, I get coupon code invalid/removed message and it won't continue to let me see my reservation! I called Alamo and my reservations are FINE. Can't even cancel reservations online!

Tampa reservations are still WAY out of control!! Arriving Oct 16, 10 day reservation for cars (with discount codes) is $350-500 and minivans $700-1400! Thank heaven I booked a reservation early and have a full size for $270 and a minivan for $360 (deciding which size we need). I am still hoping to get a better deal in the next 13 days. I can usually get a full size less than $200. What is going on in Tampa??? We have gone to Disney every October for the past 7 years and have NEVER seen car renal rates like THIS!!

If you are planning on using the Vegas coupon and are flexible on drop off time you might want to try do an hour earlier and see the difference in rates. I put it in with drop off time an hour earlier and it took off $22. They give you a grace period of 29 minutes. So you actually have until 29 minutes past the drop off time to not be charged additional fees. Still not sure what I am going to do but I thought I would let others know this in case you didn't already :)

I booked a few months ago with Alamo and got an suv for $213 for our week. The same rental is now $495. I was originally scheduled to return the rental at 6am and now need to return it at 4pm but can't find anywhere to modify my rental (I think I remember accidentally checking in a month or so ago, first time at this). If I call to change it, will I lose the old price I had secured?

edit- I called and was told I didn't need to modify the reservation since I had already paid for that day, returning it at 4pm instead of 6am made no difference.

Last edited:
There seemed to be a "sweet spot" for booking with Alamo in latter half June ("bottoming out" around the 25th). Rates had been high-ish up until that point, then went on a steady decline for about a week. They shot back up afterward, and they have stayed that way since.
Yes I booked June 26 and got a mid size with Alamo for $113 for 9 days! So glad I booked when I did.

Well, we're down to just five days to arrival. I'm still running prices at least once a day, rates are still high.....yet, I can't bring myself to throw in the towel and stop checking completely!!

I wonder if more people are staying offsite these days, and driving up the rental market? My December rate is also following a similar pattern to this one......

Is the Brazil code still OK to use? I will use the kiosk anyhow, so never have had to 'bring' anything with me on the coupons I've used in the past. Got a pretty good rate using AD2338FDF and the Brazil code--got midsize for $186 for (10) days.

Well, we're down to just five days to arrival. I'm still running prices at least once a day, rates are still high.....yet, I can't bring myself to throw in the towel and stop checking completely!!

I wonder if more people are staying offsite these days, and driving up the rental market? My December rate is also following a similar pattern to this one......

Honestly, I think that the "off season" is a big time for conventions in Orlando, and not just at Disney. I know that there are several in my industry that I could go to during this time of year if I wanted to. Business travelers are more likely to rent a car, especially with the limited mass transit options in Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter