October 11, 2014 7-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Magic (San Juan)

:wave2: Carmen and family

Welcome aboard! I think we were on the Jan 11 Panama cruise at the same time.

Yes, we were! That was a FABULOUS cruise and will be hard to top :-)

My DD will be 2 months away from 15 at the time of the cruise. PM me here if you want to exchange info.

Great! I will send you her email :thumbsup2

My DD will be 15 as well. I don't let her FB, but would be happy to exchange emails as we get closer.

Sounds good! Send me a PM when she's ready to exhange emails :goodvibes

Hello all!

Nikki here! (with DH somewhere around- his name is Stacey. Yes, he's a boy...we get some interesting looks about that one;) )

I have been lurking on the Dis for a number of years before I joined in 2011 to prepare for a cruise on the Dream in 2012, but never really was super active here. I'm not super active at FB either- but I did join over there today as well. I was trying to decided whether we would book the 4-11th Southern or the 11-18th Southern- but this group seems fun, so I think we're staying here.

We don't have any kids, and I'm about to graduate from residency, so by the cruise I will have done my first year in private practice! :cool1: I have the luck of having about 4 weeks of vacation a year (and 250k in med education debt, but who's counting right? :rotfl2:) so either week would have worked for us. I figure more people took this itinerary though because it crossed a holiday and that's one less vacay/school day to take off?

I probably will not be super active here, I have a trip on the Fantasy for my birthday (Eastern Sept 21) and a trip on the Connie (X cruise line) as a big meet with another group in early Feb to do before this one, but I LOVE to plan and love to have stuff to look forward to on the horizon!

We haven't booked yet, hoping to do so on the Fantasy, but if it starts to look like we will sell out of the category I'm hoping to sail in, we will jump in. One thing I wasn't sure about was how it works if you book and put down a deposit on an sailing (say this one) and then on the ship you want to book that same sailing. I'm sure they can cancel the 1st one, but do they just roll your deposit into the on board booking?

Once we take this cruise, I will just need the Wonder and I will have sailed all four ships! We were supposed to be on the Magic right now, but I ended up VERY sick in early March and had surgery and all that jazz and it depleted my PTO so we will be doing it in 2015 if the Magic continues to go to the Med by then.

Enough about me, just wanted to say hi! I look forward to chatting and meeting with everyone, and for those on both lists (FB and Dis) sorry for the double post!

Hi Nikki! Welcome aboard! Congrats on your residency graduation! Just this time last year we were gearing up for DH's fellowship graduation. What a glorious day! Never thought it would arrive as I had been along for the entire ride: undergrad, MD and PhD, residency, fellowship! He's not in private practice though, works at a university hospital and LOVES it. Hours are still looooong but getting better. Anyway, what's your specialty???

And I would definitely consider booking now! We booked onboard in March and the price has already gone up $800. You can always reshop onboard to see if it will save you any money.

Welcome Nikki and Stacey! :wave2:

You certainly can book a cruise now and then check once you're on board your next cruise to see if they can get you a better price and on-board credit. If your category is still being sold, you'll be able to keep your same cabin and the deposit paid will roll over to your new booking.

And would we still get the on ship 10% discount and the OBC for booking on the ship?? Right now, the deposit required would be heftier than if we waited until we're on ship, but I'm monitoring the situation so that we can jump in somewhere if need be.

Hi Nikki! :wave:
Hi Sandy!!
:goodvibes

Hi Nikki! Welcome aboard! Congrats on your residency graduation! Just this time last year we were gearing up for DH's fellowship graduation. What a glorious day! Never thought it would arrive as I had been along for the entire ride: undergrad, MD and PhD, residency, fellowship! He's not in private practice though, works at a university hospital and LOVES it. Hours are still looooong but getting better. Anyway, what's your specialty???

And I would definitely consider booking now! We booked onboard in March and the price has already gone up $800. You can always reshop onboard to see if it will save you any money.

I'm in foot and ankle surgery, decided not to do a fellowship. I was just ready to be done!! lol

I noticed that the rates for the cabin we have our eye on, the lower class went up about $250 and the higher class has gone up $500! The deposit is hefty right now, nearly $700 for what we have our eye on, and with the move (we are subletting for one month to finish residency, then two up in MA while we wait to close on our house) the house and the upcoming cruise- money is just flying out the windows! lol :scared1: (and let's not forget that Uncle Sam will want his repayment of 250 large starting in July)

What specialty is your DH?

I noticed that the rates for the cabin we have our eye on, the lower class went up about $250 and the higher class has gone up $500! The deposit is hefty right now, nearly $700 for what we have our eye on, and with the move (we are subletting for one month to finish residency, then two up in MA while we wait to close on our house) the house and the upcoming cruise- money is just flying out the windows! lol :scared1:QUOTE]

IF you have the Disney Visa card, you can get 6 months of 0% interest to pay for the downpayment...just a thought.

I'm in foot and ankle surgery, decided not to do a fellowship. I was just ready to be done!! lol

I noticed that the rates for the cabin we have our eye on, the lower class went up about $250 and the higher class has gone up $500! The deposit is hefty right now, nearly $700 for what we have our eye on, and with the move (we are subletting for one month to finish residency, then two up in MA while we wait to close on our house) the house and the upcoming cruise- money is just flying out the windows! lol :scared1: (and let's not forget that Uncle Sam will want his repayment of 250 large starting in July)

What specialty is your DH?

I bet you are ready! Surgery is some grueling hours in residency (so I've heard). DH is a pediatric cardiologist and cardiac intensivist. We knew going into residency that he'd do a fellowship and thankfully he was on a fast track program (due to his phd) that cut a year off residency or he'd just be finishing up too. And oh, those loans! I don't like thinking of them but still ever grateful for them :-)

GOod luck deciding what to do about booking :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hi Everyone,

I just booked our cruise today for this sailing. Happy to be sailing with you all-this is our 4th cruise on Disney and 1st to the southern Caribbean. DH and I have been to Grenada before, not on cruise and loved the island. Sailing with me is my DH, DD (4), DS (2) and my mom aka babysitter. LOL I also sent a request to join the FB group. Can't wait for this trip.

Hi, tink :cool1:. If you're Tara, I just added you to the Fb group.

Welcome to the group:cheer2:

Have your kids tried the Kids Clubs?

We are going to have a GREAT cruise!!!:dance3:

Hi Everyone,

I just booked our cruise today for this sailing. Happy to be sailing with you all-this is our 4th cruise on Disney and 1st to the southern Caribbean. DH and I have been to Grenada before, not on cruise and loved the island. Sailing with me is my DH, DD (4), DS (2) and my mom aka babysitter. LOL I also sent a request to join the FB group. Can't wait for this trip.

Great, THANKS!!!

Hi Carmie!!:wave2:
DW and I won't be joining you after all for this cruise :(. It's an ideal itinerary, but October is not the month for us (November preferred) and it doesn't stop at CC AND it costs twice as much to fly to San Juan than to MCO. We're waiting to see what the 2015 cruises have to offer, but it would have been great to see you again!

Whoopsie:guilty: And by "Tara" I meant "Dara" lol. Sorry about that.

Hi Everyone,

Hi Carmie!!:wave2:
DW and I won't be joining you after all for this cruise :(. It's an ideal itinerary, but October is not the month for us (November preferred) and it doesn't stop at CC AND it costs twice as much to fly to San Juan than to MCO. We're waiting to see what the 2015 cruises have to offer, but it would have been great to see you again!

That's too bad :-(. It's always nice to see former fellow cruisers.

But this ones still up in the air for us too. We have friends that we are trying to convince to join us and if they do, we'll definitely go. If they don't, we most likely will go anyway but just not certain. We have Alaska booked next summer (not Disney YIKES) so that would make 2 big trips in 5 months. I sure won't complain if we do both :-)

Whoopsie:guilty: And by "Tara" I meant "Dara" lol. Sorry about that.

LOL- its ok:rotfl: everyone does that. My daughter was too small on our last cruise to do the kids club. She spent her time in the nursery, but we did go into the club together for a little while. I am very excited to send them off and have adult time:rockband:

There is a very very very good possibility that DCL will be releasing a repo cruise from San Juan on 10/18/14 to Port Canaveral. It will be a 3-night cruise that will either be all sea days or have a day at Castaway Cay.

We are going to book it! I'd love the Magic to take us back to PC rather than an airplane to Tampa!!!!

Just an FYI for those interested.....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

All of the changes in ships, I have been reading about here, are they changing this cruise at all?

There is a very very very good possibility that DCL will be releasing a repo cruise from San Juan on 10/18/14 to Port Canaveral. It will be a 3-night cruise that will either be all sea days or have a day at Castaway Cay.

We are going to book it! I'd love the Magic to take us back to PC rather than a airplane!!!!

Just an FYI for those interested.....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

So how will you get home from PC?

Well, I was 97% sure I was canceling this cruise but if there isa possible addition of the repo too.....:confused3:confused3 I might have to stay around.

So many choices

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter