Oct PTR/TR - Lets see if I fit now?

yxe dad

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,

I'll start off with an intro, I'm a huge Disney fan but love all rides and having a blast at the park with friends and family. We hadn't been to US/IOA since a few years before Harry Potter opened, even though we visit WDW 2-3 times a year. The last time we were there, I was having trouble fitting in seats and had to use the modified seating on the Hulk and others. I kept telling myself I couldn't go back until I lost some weight(6'2",260lb 10 years ago). I was using that as an excuse to lose weight but never did, and in fact I had put on a lot more.

Well, in May of this year, we were in Orlando area with friends and decided to do 3 days at US/IOA. I thought to myself, it might be tight, but I'll just use the modified seating and I'll be fine. I was so excited to ride some of my favourite rides in Orlando and try all the new Harry Potter attractions.

We arrived at the gates early on the first tues in May, and the excitement level was huge, my wife and our friends are all ride junkies and this was our friends first time to US/IOA. Gates opened on the US side and we walked our way to the Harry Potter ride. I really wasn't nervous, I thought for sure I'd fit in the modified seating. I was dead wrong, I couldn't fit, my best friend trying to push the restraint down, nope, nothing, I couldn't fit. Long story, but I'll cut it short, that continued for 3 days, I couldn't fit while I pretended that it didn't bother me while they rode the rides I used to love.

As I sat out front of each ride I couldn't fit on, being a locker for their belongings, I got angry with myself for not being with them, for letting my wife down, for not enjoying the trip with my friends. So I decided to make a change. "When we get home, I'm going to start to diet", We'll I've said that a million times to my wife, so she though I was full of BS. But the day after we got home, I made an appointment at a local weight lose clinic for a consultation.

It took a couple weeks to get in and my wife who looks great, joined me as she wanted to lose 15-20 lbs. After an hour consultation we joined up and left with a plan and some meal replacements. I had ballooned up to 326.2lbs and was embarassed to be on the scale with my wife in the room. Even though she was also the heaviest she had ever been, she still looked great. We started the plan at the end of May and have been following it with pretty much no cheating, unless traveling. Although we don't go crazy, we just make healthy choices, something I didn't do before.

My goal weight to get back to US/IOA before Harry Potter opened was 245, so I thought I'd put that as my new US/IOA goal. We had planned a Disney trip for Oct 12-19 after returning in May, I think my wife felt bad that I didn't enjoy my May trip too much. I knew that Oct was going to be almost impossible to get to my goal, but I was shooting for Dec, we have a big family trip planned to WDW then. I have followed this diet religiously, using that feeling in May of standing out front, being a bag and coat rack, waiting for my wife and friends as motivation. On October 3rd, for the first time in 10 years I was under 245, 243 to be exact. The first thing I did when I got home was order US/IOA tickets. I'm so pumped right now. We leave in a couple days and I'm already packed.

I'll check in as we go along, but it's a little crazy up here in my part of Canada, Wed/Thurs we got a foot of snow and it's our Thanksgiving weekend so lots of family stuff going on. I'll report back on if I fit or not.

What a story to share !

This is one that is life changing for you and your wife

Some readers will be inspired with, if they can do that, so can I.

I know you will have the best trip of your life!

I'll be at UO when you arrive and hope to see you

Thanks for the kind works, I still have 25-30lbs to get to my overall goal, one that was so distant 4 months ago, but if it takes another 4 months, I'm in.
My wife has lost 30lbs in the same time and wants to try to drop another 10. It's funny how your goals can change once you achieve them.

Next year by this time, you will achieve those goals

For me it is the last 15 lbs to take off that goes the slowest

But, you will get there

Fabulous start to your trip report!!!

Amazing weight loss........well done to you and your wife........I truly hope you do get to ride everything you want to........

I think this year I just made it on to FJ. It was tight. I was smaller last year, although you would never have described me as small!! I'm a big girl.

Looking forward to reading about your trip........and we'll done again.........

Congratulations on your weight loss. I can't wait to hear about your trip. Have a great time!!!

Congrats! Hope you have a great trip!
We will overlap with your dates slightly :-)
Hope you feel great and can enjoy all the rides!

Next year by this time, you will achieve those goals

For me it is the last 15 lbs to take off that goes the slowest

But, you will get there

I'm really not feeling like I'm doing anything major or missing out on food or booze. On this vacation I'll have a drink or two, maybe a burger, but with a salad instead of fries. This was a wake up call and I realize I still have work to do, but I'm also going to enjoy holidays. I'm feeling confident I'll be upgrading our tickets to annual passes because I'll want to be back.

Thanks everyone, It's been an awesome 4.5 months and it was easy when I saw the results in the mirror and on the scale. I've adjusted our plans to include 2-3 days at US/IOA while still enjoying WDW. My wife loves Big Thunder Mountain at night but with the current rehab we'll have to get our Disney coaster fix on Everest at night and Rock' n Rollercoaster.

Does anyone have any advice they'd like to share for US/IOA that would make a short trip better? If things go well, we'll be upgrading our tickets to Premier AP's because we have a big family trip in December.

We leave bright and early on Wed morning and arrive around 530pm. We are planning on going to the Magic Kingdom after we check in and then US/IOA on Thursday.

I'll check in again soon, have a great day!

Hi Everyone,

I took a gamble and didn't try the test seats out front of Forbidden Journey. When we got to the loading area I sat in a end seat as I was told they were larger in a different thread. Well, as they were pulling the harness down, they looked over and all the sudden released my harness open. I thought they couldn't get it closed enough and I would be leaving upset again. Nope, they needed me to move from that seat to accommodate a larger guest. What a relief, I got to ride everything I wanted with no modified seat! I will check in again soon!

Fantastic news........so glad to hear you made the rides you wanted........

Look forward to hearing more.......

Way to go!! I can't wait to hear more about all the fun you got to experience on this trip!

I'm reading some of the trip reports and was wondering where our op is now

Hope he returns to let us know if he met his goal

And truly hope he has another trip planned for 2017

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter