• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC hotel recommendations?

I'll be staying at Ameritania close to Broadway when I'm there at the end of August.

These hotel prices are so...pricey! But then again, I didn't even THINK to look at priceline. I usually book my hotels through expedia and travelocity. Their reviews are pretty reliable if you cross reference them with other hotel sites. I can't believe I didn't even think of oyster.com

I've been staying at the Andaz 5th Ave - I like it, it doesnt feel "big" (mainly because it isn't). It's part of the Hyatt chain - so you can earn points etc, but it in no way feels like a Hyatt, and it is opposite the NY Public Library on 5th Ave.

They do free wine in the "lobby" each evening, and coffee and pastries in the morning, the Restaurant is pretty good(it focusses on Local/Organic Foods), and they stock your mini-bar with free non alcoholic drinks and snacks each day.

Matt

11 years ago I stayed at Hotel Belvedere with 10 friends, we all enjoyed it immensely. It's an older hotel, 319 West 48th Street, walking distance to Times Square. It had a lot of character, which we all loved, and great staff.

I've been staying at the Andaz 5th Ave - I like it, it doesnt feel "big" (mainly because it isn't). It's part of the Hyatt chain - so you can earn points etc, but it in no way feels like a Hyatt, and it is opposite the NY Public Library on 5th Ave.

They do free wine in the "lobby" each evening, and coffee and pastries in the morning, the Restaurant is pretty good(it focusses on Local/Organic Foods), and they stock your mini-bar with free non alcoholic drinks and snacks each day.

Matt

that sounds really interesting..
i was just looking at the hotel elysee - part of the same chain as the library hotel....the hotel elysee also has continental breakfast in the morning and snacks through the day.......and i guess is smallish, though i don't know how many rooms it has....but it's a bit pricey...i wouldn't mind if we were only getting one room, but we need two rooms....but maybe...

11 years ago I stayed at Hotel Belvedere with 10 friends, we all enjoyed it immensely. It's an older hotel, 319 West 48th Street, walking distance to Times Square. It had a lot of character, which we all loved, and great staff.
that's further west than i want to be... i don't think i want to be west of seventh avenue.....and i'm toying with going east and north this time....to try a new area (different from where the waldorf is)...

I'll be staying at Ameritania close to Broadway when I'm there at the end of August.

These hotel prices are so...pricey! But then again, I didn't even THINK to look at priceline. I usually book my hotels through expedia and travelocity. Their reviews are pretty reliable if you cross reference them with other hotel sites. I can't believe I didn't even think of oyster.com

i used expedia when i reserved a room for DD - her trip to new york 2 years ago (she and her girlfriend)...
i did that one totally last minute....when they were already on the plane heading for new york (a 13 hour flight, so it's not like it was REALLY last minute)
i went onto expedia and got them a room at the milford in times square i think...it was only about $125 on expedia and on the hotel website it was $300....
i was worried the hotel would give them a terrible room because it was through expedia, but they were upgraded to one of the better floors....
my only problem with expedia is isn't it non-refundable? that's why i got DD's room only when she was on the plane....i knew she was on her way by that point...
and the only reason i took the milford was because it was so cheap and looked like a reasonably ok place for them to stay....

ok....so here's a question for new yorkers, or for those very familiar with the city:

what neighborhood of new york has the warmest, quaintest feel to it?
it can be anywhere from washington square and up...east/ west, but no further south than washington square...

ok....so here's a question for new yorkers, or for those very familiar with the city:

what neighborhood of new york has the warmest, quaintest feel to it?
it can be anywhere from washington square and up...east/ west, but no further south than washington square...

Ooh, good question.

For me, Greenwich Village, with parts of the Upper West Side being a close second.

Ooh, good question.

For me, Greenwich Village, with parts of the Upper West Side being a close second.

i never spent much time in greenwich village...actually no time at all....
funny that in 3 years i never managed to spend time there....
but from what i know of it, it might be a neighborhood that DD would really like....
DD really hates new york, but she's only stayed in business areas, never anything residential (park and whatever for the waldorf and the milford plaza in times square).....

i never spent much time in greenwich village...actually no time at all....
funny that in 3 years i never managed to spend time there....
but from what i know of it, it might be a neighborhood that DD would really like....
DD really hates new york, but she's only stayed in business areas, never anything residential (park and whatever for the waldorf and the milford plaza in times square).....

Eeek, scary!

Yeah, definitely West Village. Soho is charming, too, in its own way, especially if your DD is a shopper.

If you're willing to venture into Brooklyn, Park Slope and Downtown Brooklyn are great, and have awesome restaurants. Also, Astoria, Queens.

Marriott Marquis we love it. Hotel Pennsylvania avoid at all costs.
It's been nearly 20 years since I stayed there I guess, but when we were there two astonishing things happened: A full blown FBI drug bust took place with guns drawn and guys in navy blue jackets with FBI in yellow on the back racing in through the door one door down from us. Yelling and screaming and the whole 9 yards. I kept looking for a camera cause it looked just like a TV scene. Apparently it was real. The guns, all 10 or so of them, looked very real as they were directly outside our door. You'd think they'd clear the area or something - one stray shot and we'd have been goners! :scared1:

The other astonishing thing happened the next day. My gall bladder decided it no longer wanted any part of me. The hotel was very nice and sent up the 'hotel physician', who got me to Roosevelt hospital (diety of your choice help me!) where they ran in fluids, pumped me full of pain meds and put me in a room with a lovely pagan women having a full blown ritual with her coven (I am not making this up!). My friend couldn't stay with me and took our scheduled flight home leaving me all alone while they got me more stable. Several hours later, after more drugs and more fluid, I left against medical advice and was poured into a plane and flew home with the help of some great airline personnel and much more pain medication where I went straight to the hospital and had said gall bladder removed. A good time was had by all. :laughing:

Oh my goodness!!! That is terrible. I used to be a part of some seminars there and the stories the people told about the rooms, the rats, etc. :(

Eeek, scary!

Yeah, definitely West Village. Soho is charming, too, in its own way, especially if your DD is a shopper.

If you're willing to venture into Brooklyn, Park Slope and Downtown Brooklyn are great, and have awesome restaurants. Also, Astoria, Queens.

DD is definitely not a shopper...
interestingly, i did spend time in soho way back when...
don't know what it's like now, but it was just coming around at that time...
a few little galleries and restaurants...
DH and i used to take the train down to his office in the trade center (so he could play around with his computer tapes - you know, those big mainframe tapes - hard to imagine, but laptops had not yet been invented back in 1980)...
then we would walk from the trade center back up to our apt on 72nd street, stopping in soho on the way for lunch....that was a nice walk...
one of my favorite memories... :)

DD is definitely not a shopper...
interestingly, i did spend time in soho way back when...
don't know what it's like now, but it was just coming around at that time...
a few little galleries and restaurants...
DH and i used to take the train down to his office in the trade center (so he could play around with his computer tapes - you know, those big mainframe tapes - hard to imagine, but laptops had not yet been invented back in 1980)...
then we would walk from the trade center back up to our apt on 72nd street, stopping in soho on the way for lunch....that was a nice walk...
one of my favorite memories... :)

It's actually a REALLY nice walk now. Since Trump paid for the renovation of the West Side, Riverside Park (from the Statue of Liberty to somewhere in the West 200's) is absolutely gorgeous.

It's been nearly 20 years since I stayed there I guess, but when we were there two astonishing things happened: A full blown FBI drug bust took place with guns drawn and guys in navy blue jackets with FBI in yellow on the back racing in through the door one door down from us. Yelling and screaming and the whole 9 yards. I kept looking for a camera cause it looked just like a TV scene. Apparently it was real. The guns, all 10 or so of them, looked very real as they were directly outside our door. You'd think they'd clear the area or something - one stray shot and we'd have been goners! :scared1:

The other astonishing thing happened the next day. My gall bladder decided it no longer wanted any part of me. The hotel was very nice and sent up the 'hotel physician', who got me to Roosevelt hospital (diety of your choice help me!) where they ran in fluids, pumped me full of pain meds and put me in a room with a lovely pagan women having a full blown ritual with her coven (I am not making this up!). My friend couldn't stay with me and took our scheduled flight home leaving me all alone while they got me more stable. Several hours later, after more drugs and more fluid, I left against medical advice and was poured into a plane and flew home with the help of some great airline personnel and much more pain medication where I went straight to the hospital and had said gall bladder removed. A good time was had by all. :laughing:

was that at the hotel pennsylvania? sounds like a fun place....not...

It's actually a REALLY nice walk now. Since Trump paid for the renovation of the West Side, Riverside Park (from the Statue of Liberty to somewhere in the West 200's) is absolutely gorgeous.

oh wow....i didn't know that....i don't know anything about current day new york...
i have to check the map....one of the things i most love about new york is how much it's a walking city...i just love that...

was that at the hotel pennsylvania? sounds like a fun place....not...
No, the Marriot Marquis. It was a lovely place, really! And even with all that happened, I look back on it as a fabulous trip and a joyous experience. Because of it, I adore NY! Everyone couldn't have been more kind during the gall bladder fiasco, and we actually got to talk to a few of the FBI guys after the bust. It was all fascinating.

And everywhere I went, people just kept asking me to talk - they just loved hearing my Southern accent. I hate it. I think it sounds like gravel grating on a blackboard, but people just wanted to hear it over and over. I had the same experience @ WDW with a lovely lady from Wales. We just loved hearing each other talk. Made my husband crazy. :lmao:

No, the Marriot Marquis. It was a lovely place, really! And even with all that happened, I look back on it as a fabulous trip and a joyous experience. Because of it, I adore NY! Everyone couldn't have been more kind during the gall bladder fiasco, and we actually got to talk to a few of the FBI guys after the bust. It was all fascinating.

And everywhere I went, people just kept asking me to talk - they just loved hearing my Southern accent. I hate it. I think it sounds like gravel grating on a blackboard, but people just wanted to hear it over and over. I had the same experience @ WDW with a lovely lady from Wales. We just loved hearing each other talk. Made my husband crazy. :lmao:

i love southern accents too...
the mother of one of my best friends in high school was from tennessee....from memphis i think.....anyway, she was a genuine southern belle....and knew exactly how to get her way with men, even while they thought it was all their idea....it was fascinating to watch her....we northerners could learn a thing or two or three... :goodvibes

ok i'm off to look at the marquis again....i must have looked at 100 hotels already....so many interesting ones, i don't know which one to pick...

anyone have an opinion on the Ace?

so i just realized something - if i book at the very last minute on expedia, i can get really great rates...even the peninsula shows up on expedia at the last minute...(i played with dates next week as an experiment)...

maybe i'll reserve what i'm willing to pay now and then check again at the last minute on expedia to see if what i really want shows up at a reasonable rate....

so i just realized something - if i book at the very last minute on expedia, i can get really great rates...even the peninsula shows up on expedia at the last minute...(i played with dates next week as an experiment)...

Love the Peninsula (One of my fav hotels in the world is the Pen Bangkok), and the one in NY has an excellent (and amazingly expensive) Bar on the roof. Even if you are not staying, drop in for a late night drink, and watch the world go by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter