• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC CRUISES PLANNING/INFO ThREAD!

We live in Rocky Hill, CT and we were wondering if anyone got a price for a van to take you to the port.We are not quite two hours from there.
Does anyone know if DCL is providing transfers from any of the hotels? We were thinking of going the day before if we can get a good hotel rate and one that would take us to the port in the morning.

Again, I do not think they have listed the hotels that they will be using for pre or post nights or if these same hotels will have the DCL transfers.

MJ

Does anyone have any info or ever used the ferry from port imperial in weehawkin nj to get to the cruise terminal?

Does anyone have any info or ever used the ferry from port imperial in weehawkin nj to get to the cruise terminal?

The ferry leaves you on W 39 St & 12th Ave in Manhattan. You would have to take a cab from there to the terminal. You could walk but it would be about 10 blocks north. I wouldn't walk that far with luggage.

Here is more info:

http://www.nywaterway.com

The ferry leaves you on W 39 St & 12th Ave in Manhattan. You would have to take a cab from there to the terminal. You could walk but it would be about 10 blocks north. I wouldn't walk that far with luggage.

Here is more info:

http://www.nywaterway.com

I commute daily on NY Waterway. You could take the NY Waterway ferry to Manhattan and get a taxi at the stand in front of the ferry terminal. But there's a block or two of walking on each side with your luggage from when you enter the terminal in NJ till you board the ferry and the reverse on the other side.

You could take the "Greenway"... which isn't a horrible walk from the Waterway pier... But... again... with luggage... no thanks.

The greenway paths go all the way from Battery park all the way up to the GWB I think...

You could take the "Greenway"... which isn't a horrible walk from the Waterway pier... But... again... with luggage... no thanks.

The greenway paths go all the way from Battery park all the way up to the GWB I think...

It is possible to walk this whole stretch, but parts of the path are not as user friendly as others and will even take you a bit out of your way. Generally speaking, it is not something I would do with luggage - even from as close as the Waterway terminal.

The last time that we were in NYC we stayed here and loved it. Small, but clean and the people were nice. It is only a mile and a half from the port. I would definitely recommend it!!

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-new_york-new_york-NY464/Hotel-Photos?sid=xa1RP.ShlDrgTE9g.3&sarea=&sname=&slon=-73.990883&slat=40.759331&schain=&scountry=&sstate=&type=&sradius=&sstate_country=&scity=

Thank you for the link. I checked for our May 2012 sailing...and with 7 of us it would be over $500 per night for the two rooms... Is this about average for NY? I can't imagine paying that. What am I missing? Any thoughts?

Thank you for the link. I checked for our May 2012 sailing...and with 7 of us it would be over $500 per night for the two rooms... Is this about average for NY? I can't imagine paying that. What am I missing? Any thoughts?

Any NY hotel is extremely high. I checked for our trip in June and it's $249 for the one night (and I am certain that doesn't include taxes and there is no parking there!)

Any NY hotel is extremely high. I checked for our trip in June and it's $249 for the one night (and I am certain that doesn't include taxes and there is no parking there!)

My oh My....I had zero idea..glad I found out now so I can put a MUCH higher dollar amount in my budget plans..as for parking..not a problem I would NEVER drive from central Ca all the way..I would LOOSE my mind :rotfl::lmao: I'm really hoping Disney will be able to make a deal with some hotel for pre and post stays. We are flying in the day before and wanted to stay for 3 or so days after the cruise. :yay: I already went to the foodnetwork site to make a list of all the resturants we should visit :thumbsup2 Can't wait!!!

The trick is to watch for sales for NYC hotels. I snagged a saturday night in a Times Sq hotel (Sheraton) for $127/night.

If I come across any deals I'll post them here.

The trick is to watch for sales for NYC hotels. I snagged a saturday night in a Times Sq hotel (Sheraton) for $127/night.

If I come across any deals I'll post them here.

Each week they put out a top 20 list of travel deals. when you see one for NYC check it out and see if it fits your dates.

MJ

Would they be taking bookings for next July already?

Would they be taking bookings for next July already?

Some of the hotels have opened up their bookings for next July. You can start looking now and if you find a decent rate you can book it (as long as there isn't a cancelation policy) and the look for deals and rebook at a discount between now and July.

We haven't definately decided if we are keeping are NYC/Canada cruise or not. However we do go to NYC a few times a year to visit family who live in midtown. We used to stay with grandpa but now he has Alzheimer's Disease. We typically go to the South Station bus terminal (just walk past the commuter rail/amtrak) to the next building from South Station. We live about 1.5 miles from the orange line so take the mbta bus, get a ride or take a cab for about $10 with tip to the orange line then pay $3.40 round trip if we don't have a monthly combo pass - kids 11 and under are free.

You can get Amtrak at South Station(red line) or Back Bay (orange line). If taking Amtrak downeaster from Maine/NH it goes to North Station where you can pick up the orange line and get on Amtrak at Back Bay. We typically take megabus or boltbus since it is usually much cheaper than amtrak. It leaves from the South Station bus terminal and drops off right near Penn Station. Boltbus takes a tad longer than Megabus since they make a pit stop (last time at Burger King) and Megabus doesn't stop. If there is no real traffic the bus ride is 4 hours but plan on 4.5 hours. Megabus is first come first serve seating and is double decker. Bolt bus if you sign in online first with a free account you get priority seating but I would guess the majority do that.

We went to NYC July 4th weekend. We stayed at the Chelsea Savoy Hotel which we walked to from Penn Station. The hotel isn't right in a touristy area which I like better for sleeping. Our room had two double beds then an alcove area with a free rollaway bed. There was a free breakfast of just bagels, muffins, pastry and hot drinks. There are several restaurants in walking distance including fast food and next door is a small deli place for tak out and cold drinks. We paid $135 a night and found it nice and clean. IT is just around the corner or down the street from the 1 train and just a few quick stops to Times Square. I got the rate by calling.

Affinia Manhattan is across the street from Penn Station and has 1 room suites. I stayed there April 2010 for $159 a night thru travelzoo and it even had a full kitchen. My kids loved the SKyline Hotel though it is pricier in the summer. It has a penthouse floor indoor pool and walking distance to the Intrepid. If you have a local museum membership see if it has recipricality for the Intrepid. Also if you go to the Intrepid with youngish kids there is one activity that sneakers are required and they will not allow sandals much to my kids dismay. I don't recall how long we spent there but dh used to work on it and showed us around. All the adults around us found it rather funny when we were walking thru the British Concorde and dd9 then asked us what an ashtray was.

I haven't given any thought of how we will get to the port. We may do a cab but I can also see us taking a bus since dh is familiar with the busses. We have also taken suitcases on the subway many times and may go that route as well. I leave local transportation up to dh.

My brother's family left today for a cruise on Royal Caribbean. I don't know if it is out of NYC or NJ. They took the Entertainment Tours bus out of Braintree. As far as I know all was fine but I haven't talked to them. The biggest complaint was that they had to go south of Boston to get it since we all live north west of Boston (5-15 miles).

Excellent pictures and narrative, MJ!! Thanks so much for doing that!! I think we'll be taking AmTrak down, but if we do drive, I feel very confident now that all will go well. :thumbsup2

There is bus service from South Station Boston, Same place you would catch the train. several companies ! Also there are plane shuttles, That sometimes you can get a special for less than the 100, on jet blue and southwest. we will probably fly, 45 minutes and you are there!

Some of the hotels have opened up their bookings for next July. You can start looking now and if you find a decent rate you can book it (as long as there isn't a cancelation policy) and the look for deals and rebook at a discount between now and July.

Thanks. Guess I better start thinking about how long we actually plan on being in New York before the cruise.

You can absolutely find deals on hotels in NYC. The general rule of thumb... the more convenience... the higher the price.

I guess it depends on your level of comfort. I've directed a few friends to stay downtown (Seaport)... it's usually a lot less expensive (Best Western, Holiday Inn)... but that presupposes that you are comfortable navigating the city, either by rail or by taxi.

Some hotels in Jersey City are very nice ... and less expensive... The Hyatt is beautiful... but again... convenience factor is a little less.

I've even heard some people say that they'll stay at the Airport hotels (EWR).... and get transfers to the ship from there...

We'd planned to just stay at an airport hotel and get Disney transportation, but the lure of being in NYC for the first time is changing that...my DS10 loves to act and sing and can think of no better place to be in the world.

While I'm excited about the idea of being in NYC for a day or so, I happen to think that I'd rather be on the Disney Magic, but that's me!

Some suggestions for NJ hotels located on the Hudson River, all close to mass transit:

Homewood Suites by Hilton®
10 The Promenade, Edgewater, New Jersey, United States 07020
Tel: 1-201-941-4700 Fax: 1-201-941-479
next to shopping, restaurants, and movie theaters

Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel
500 Harbor Boulevard · Weehawken, NJ 07086 USA ·Map · Contact Us · Phone: (201) 617-5600 · Fax: (201) 617-5627 · Special Offer Reservations:
(866) 716-8115 (next to Lincoln Harbor NY Waterway Terminal)

W Hoboken
225 River Street, Hoboken, New Jersey 07030 United States
Phone: (201) 253-2400

Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson
2 Exchange Place,
Jersey City, New Jersey, USA 07302
Tel: (201) 469 1234 Fax: (201) 432 4991

Some suggestions for NJ hotels located on the Hudson River, all close to mass transit:

Homewood Suites by Hilton®
10 The Promenade, Edgewater, New Jersey, United States 07020
Tel: 1-201-941-4700 Fax: 1-201-941-479
next to shopping, restaurants, and movie theaters

Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel
500 Harbor Boulevard · Weehawken, NJ 07086 USA ·Map · Contact Us · Phone: (201) 617-5600 · Fax: (201) 617-5627 · Special Offer Reservations:
(866) 716-8115 (next to Lincoln Harbor NY Waterway Terminal)

W Hoboken
225 River Street, Hoboken, New Jersey 07030 United States
Phone: (201) 253-2400

Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson
2 Exchange Place,
Jersey City, New Jersey, USA 07302
Tel: (201) 469 1234 Fax: (201) 432 4991

WOW! Thanks for posting all of those options!

Homewood Suites seems to be the most affordable of the ones you listed--the W Hoboken wanted $599 (or $629 for 2 beds!)for 1 night 1 room!!!:eek:-- An added plus is that they aren't on the bedbug registry! Will definitely take a closer look!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter