November 7, 2009 ~~~~ AHOY ST.CROIX ~~~~

Christine, Do you rent a car? We have always cruised out of Miami or Tampa (on other cruise lines) and those ports are so much closer to the airports! We are trying to figure out how to pull all of this together without spending a fortune!

Last year we rented cars one way. We started out at WDW, took a one way rental to the port (all of $41 including tax!), another one way from the port to WDW, and another one way from WDW to MCO since on the back half of our stay we were at DTD Doubletree staying free on points. We found the one way rentals to be a breeze! We used Budget, and found rental car codes on rentalcodes.com. It saved us a lot of money over doing DCL transfers. We plan to do that again this time, only of course we'll probably have it Friday/Saturday since we'll fly in early, and I doubt the hotel will have a shuttle to the port.

I keep going back and forth about spending the night before in Orlando since it will mean that we will have to take the kids out of school an extra day. How is everyone else dealing with the guilt of taking the kids out of school? Our kids will miss 4 days since Veteran's Day is a holiday. I'm not concerned about my son since he will still be in preschool, but my daughter will be in 4th grade.

I know that the cruise is months away, but I am a planner! Now, if JetBlue would release their fall flight schedule, I would be very happy!

I am SOOOOOOOOOO lucky, our school district is on a single-track year round system. We are off all of November, 3 weeks in March, and the usual Christmas time. So our last 2 WDW/DCL trips have been November (this makes three!), and we've gone to Hawaii in November too. It is my FAVORITE time of year to travel! Soooooo much cheaper, and no crowds. Unfortunately, we have a new Superintendent who would very much like to change our schedule to traditional (over the screams of every teacher...:rolleyes1 ). So this upcoming year may be the last one that I get to take my kids at this time! I am a teacher too (same district) and I wouldn't have a problem pulling them out as they do very well. The problem would be I couldn't get the time approved haha! Because this is likely the last year, I'm probably going to do 4-5 days add on at WDW post cruise, even though DH will have to fly home and return to work. He doesn't really care if he misses the parks this time anyway, he much prefers the cruise.

My DS will also be in 4th grade! His name is Kyle. How many other 4th graders are coming along so far?

My DH is very much a planner too, and would like me to know already what days we'll be staying post cruise so he can book airlines. We got bumped off our flight home last year, and got $400 apiece in vouchers for Delta we can use toward this year's flights. :banana:

Thanks for the hotel info., Gail! Wow, what a great link.

I am so excited that there are so many fourth graders on this trip!

My daughter also does very well in school and I know that she will be fine missing one week. We took her out for a week in Kindergarten and 2nd grade without an issue. The school system doesn't like it and has a policy that the kids are not allowed to take their work with them, they have to make it up upon their return (not a problem since I want her to enjoy the cruise!). We will be in the same situation as some of you, our cruise week will be the first week of the second quarter marking period.

Has anyone looked at excursions yet? A friend highly recommended the "Sea Trek Helmet Dive", but I just noticed that children have to be 10 years old. I definitely want to take my daughter snorkeling or on some type of adventure. My son will be happy sitting on the beach, digging to China all day!

Have a great day!
Paula

Thanks for the hotel info., Gail! Wow, what a great link.

I am so excited that there are so many fourth graders on this trip!

My daughter also does very well in school and I know that she will be fine missing one week. We took her out for a week in Kindergarten and 2nd grade without an issue. The school system doesn't like it and has a policy that the kids are not allowed to take their work with them, they have to make it up upon their return (not a problem since I want her to enjoy the cruise!). We will be in the same situation as some of you, our cruise week will be the first week of the second quarter marking period.

Has anyone looked at excursions yet? A friend highly recommended the "Sea Trek Helmet Dive", but I just noticed that children have to be 10 years old. I definitely want to take my daughter snorkeling or on some type of adventure. My son will be happy sitting on the beach, digging to China all day!

Have a great day!
Paula

I wanted to do the sea trek my son is old enough but doesnt weigh enough and will not by the time of the trip. they have to weight eighty pounds due to the weight of the helmet. that is what I was told and read on the website. But I did already book the sea lion swim at coral world. I think my son will really enjoy this and that day we are there wil be his birthday.

Other than that I have to wait to book the others when booking opens up for me. I want to do the buck island snorkel and rum factory tour in St Croix. I wanted to do the jeep excursion but they will not let me book it bc my son meets the required age by one day.. But whatever I am over it.

Happy planning.:cool1:

Bumping to page one! I hope that everyone is well and ready for the weekend. And don't forget we change time this weekend as well. Oh happy day! I liked driving to work in the daylight but I guess that will have to wait a bit again.

My sons will be in 7th grade and 3rd grade this fall, and we struggled too with the idea that they'd be out of school so long (we are going to WDW for 4 nights before the cruise, so they will miss 8 days of school). :eek:

Both of them are good students, so I'm hoping that they don't have TOO much to catch up on when we get back. With those darn luggage fees that the airlines charge, I really don't like the idea of taking textbooks along on vacation, but I guess I would if I had to.

I'm hoping that the teachers will just let them catch up when they get back.

My other worry is that the school won't approve the vacation as "excused." When we went in 2007, it was no big deal but we were in a different school then. I have NO idea how the principals at the elementary and middle school in our new town are going to be about taking the boys out of school for 8 days, but the vacation is already paid for and we are going!!

My sons will be in 7th grade and 3rd grade this fall, and we struggled too with the idea that they'd be out of school so long (we are going to WDW for 4 nights before the cruise, so they will miss 8 days of school). :eek:

Both of them are good students, so I'm hoping that they don't have TOO much to catch up on when we get back. With those darn luggage fees that the airlines charge, I really don't like the idea of taking textbooks along on vacation, but I guess I would if I had to.

I'm hoping that the teachers will just let them catch up when they get back.

My other worry is that the school won't approve the vacation as "excused." When we went in 2007, it was no big deal but we were in a different school then. I have NO idea how the principals at the elementary and middle school in our new town are going to be about taking the boys out of school for 8 days, but the vacation is already paid for and we are going!!

My sons school absolutely will not have the absence excused!!! The last time I took him out of school for a disney trip they sent truancy officers on me. Not bc he misses too much school bc he doesnt. It was about the trip. I am however not concerned about him missing school and will take whatever they throw at me. I work in surgery and can ask any doctor to write me a note but I choose not to lie and to teach my son to lie.

I too am so excited and can't wait to go.:banana:

My sons school absolutely will not have the absence excused!!! The last time I took him out of school for a disney trip they sent truancy officers on me. Not bc he misses too much school bc he doesnt. It was about the trip. I am however not concerned about him missing school and will take whatever they throw at me. I work in surgery and can ask any doctor to write me a note but I choose not to lie and to teach my son to lie.

In my district, only illness is "excused". Not that it matters, because if you have X amount of excused absences you still get the truancy letter. My DD has asthma and has missed more school this year than ever before. Oh well. :confused3 For non-illness related absences, kids can go on "independent study" if they will miss 5 days. They get the work from the teacher in advance, and have to return it when they return. It's usually in packet form, but sometimes textbooks are sent with them if it's going to be well over a week. The school gets partial ADA for the students if they complete their IS work. Parents always get mad though that it still shows up as "unexcused". But this way at least any tests, quizzes, assignments for credit are given to them to complete so they aren't behind on those when they return.

Anyone else who is pulling their kids out, ask about Independent Study at least 2-3 weeks ahead. The teacher likes that all the credit work is still turned in, the school likes the partial ADA (at least in California), and your kid doesn't get behind in class. It's worth asking about.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=30735185&posted=1#post30735185

Just saw this posted and wondered if anyone in our group in intersted in doing this?? Very cute Idea and cheap for us all to know we are apart of the group.:grouphug:

Just an idea.:confused3

I ordered the wristbands for our past 2 cruise meets. The best thing to do is wait until a couple months before the cruise so we can get a more accurate number and we can revisit the idea then. Depending on what all is going on at that time, I may be able to coordinate this again. If I forget to bring it up, will someone try to remember to mention it after final payment on the cruise is due?

The first time I was in charge, I delivered a lot of the bands on the ship, but then we couldn't identify each other in the terminal or in the parks before hand. Also, it was a lot more hassle and I ended up with some extras that nobody claimed. Last time I added a little extra for shipping and I mailed them out to everyone a couple weeks before the cruise and it worked much better. I think that based on the number we ordered and a little for paypal fees and postage, they ended up being around $3 each.

Hey everyone our thread is sure quiet these days...What is everyone up to. I am just working and still trying to hold onto this huge secret about our trip.

Just wanted to say hello. Hope everyone has a great day.:flower3:

Just found out from my son's school that vacations are NOT excused, and I will get a "truancy letter" if he doesn't attend. What did you do when the officers came? What did they say to you? I don't want someone after me!! I don't know what to do. The vacation is paid for and airline tickets are bought. There is no way we can cancel or reschedule, b/c our airline tickets are non-refundable. Grr...:scared:

Just found out from my son's school that vacations are NOT excused, and I will get a "truancy letter" if he doesn't attend. What did you do when the officers came? What did they say to you? I don't want someone after me!! I don't know what to do. The vacation is paid for and airline tickets are bought. There is no way we can cancel or reschedule, b/c our airline tickets are non-refundable. Grr...:scared:

You will get a truancy letter but no officers showed up at my door. I just recieved the letter and had to make an appointment with the principal regarding it. To be honest I would not discuss it with the school any further. Just go on the trip and deal with it when you get back. Just watch the missed days for the rest of the year. You could also get a note from a doctor saying your child was sick if you have anyone that would do that for you. Again I AM NOT TELLING PEOPLE TO LIE....I AM JUST STATING WHAT YOU CAN DO TO AVOID THIS.

Nothing else happened to us after we received the letter. Other schools might have different policy's so I am not sure. Like I have said before I am a single mom and it is much more affordable for me to do a trip on an off season and it is also my sons birthday. But I work in surgery and have so many doctors that will write a note for my son however I choose not to do that. Because I dont want my son to lie. But I think it is a personal choice and each family has to do and act with what they feel comfortable with. Good luck.:hug:

Yeah, I don't want to lie either, so I won't use a "sick" excuse. I will just deal with the school. My son's teacher told me last night to just let the teachers know, instead of informing the principal. She said that most of the time, the teachers will work with you and not make too big of a fuss over it. She said that the principal is much more likely to give you a speech about unexcused absences.

I'm not a single mom, but we can't afford to take cruises during "peak" seasons. Going during the school year is the only way we can afford to have a nice, relatively long vacation, so I guess we'll just wait and see what happens!

Aggghhhh I can't believe this cruise is still 7 months + away. I am ready for it NOW! I've been keeping busy making some t-shirt designs with some help from the Disigns board, and a few magnet designs of my own. My DD12 just got interested in making magnets too, and came up with a great design of her own today! It's one way to pass the time, anyway! I am really hoping the rest of my family enjoys the cruise as much as we enjoyed our last one. I think my parents and inlaws are maybe a little nervous about cruising.

Christine

We are a family of 8. This trip will be Nannie, me & 2 sisters, and our 3 kids (12,8,4) plus my friend. Three of us will travel from Boston and Five will travel from Philly and meet up the day before. Any suggestions on hotels for Friday?

I don't see this mentioned very often on the boards, but every time we have gone to Cocoa Beach before the cruise, we stay at Wakulla Suites. It's a motel that used to be apartments, so each room has 2 bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen, plus it is RIGHT on the beach. Last time, we were able to find a deal for only $89 for the night. We've always found it to be clean, the people are friendly, and it's roomy. The first time we went, my sister and her family went with us. They took one bedroom; we took the other. The best part was that after we put the kids to bed, we could watch TV in the living room without disturbing them. Just an idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter