"Not Playing" at 50's Prime Time

I would stick with the recommendation to eat at t he bar.
HDDR has the fried chicken as well, but it too is known for audience participation.

Last edited:
We don't want to be treated any differently to any waiter in any restaurant. Polite and professional.

We don't want to be brought our leftovers in a dish with cream, or told off for getting our phones out at the table, or to be teased about anything, or asked questions about the colour of the soap or anything like that. My husband is painfully shy (and VERY British!), and would find that kind of thing mortifying. Even reading the accounts of people on the DIS and other places make me uncomfortable. I understand other people find it fun and that's fine, but we wouldn't... so much so, if it were a problem that we didn't want that, we'd eat somewhere else.

I would advise against going there because of the bolded part. I wouldn't think that they would give you that kind of treatment if you requested them not to, but the tables around you would probably be getting that treatment. So there would be no way to avoid witnessing it, and if reading accounts of it makes you uncomfortable, I'm sure seeing it going on would do so as well.

I agree with the PP. Skip it, as the tables around will likely be getting the full treatment and it sounds like even being around it will make your DH uncomfortable.

I agree with the above poster. If a place is making you feel that much anxiety and you aren't even physically there..just skip it. There are countless other options for you. As you cannot control circumstances around you regardless where you go , preparing yourself for the unexpected might be in your favor as a general rule of thumb.

I have to agree with WhoDat09. If reading about the antics makes you uncomfortable, how will seeing them in person make you feel? Would you even be able to enjoy your meal? I hate to say it as I love the Prime Time Cafe, but I think you should take a pass.

We don't want to be treated any differently to any waiter in any restaurant. Polite and professional.

We don't want to be brought our leftovers in a dish with cream, or told off for getting our phones out at the table, or to be teased about anything, or asked questions about the colour of the soap or anything like that. My husband is painfully shy (and VERY British!), and would find that kind of thing mortifying. Even reading the accounts of people on the DIS and other places make me uncomfortable. I understand other people find it fun and that's fine, but we wouldn't... so much so, if it were a problem that we didn't want that, we'd eat somewhere else.

This is kind of OT but can you please tell me what you mean by "leftovers in a dish with cream" now I am concerned. We have never eaten there but have reservations for our upcomning trip. I myself can never finish a restaurant meal, I just find the portion sizes to be WAY too large... so what will happen with my leftovers?

I didn't go for years because I was afraid. We are regulars now and we have fun with it. It's hard to explain but it might not even be just your table but a group thing. One time the entire room was given homework to do, like a pop quiz. We all ended up talking to each other to help each other out cause no one wanted to be the losing table (we all had different tests), we've seen many stand in the corner with their nose on the wall, we are always told to set our own table and we enjoy. The only ones I think are really safe are young children, server told us they don't tease the under 10 group unless they read it is expected after the neighbor kid burst out crying afraid he was going to be in trouble for not finishing since Gpa was. And note: while you server may go low key there are others that walk by and talk and you might get teased by someone not your server. I have never heard nor seen any leftovers in cream......

My best suggestion if it is a concern is not eat there, bar maybe but eating at the bar isn't fun for me, just drinking :drinking1

Many restaurants have a meatloaf or pork meal but if it's the fried chicken you want ......
- Hoop De Do Revue, all you can eat. Book Category 3 in balcony you can enjoy show without becoming involved, in Ft Wilderness
- Trails End Restaurant Dinner Buffet, heard all great things, in Ft Wilderness
- Several Food Courts at resorts sell Fried Chicken

House of Blues at DTD is a great option for comfort food and good fried chicken, meatloaf etc. http://www.houseofblues.com/orlando/crossroads

I guess the other thing to consider is that the antics will be going on all around you, is it enough if they just skip it with you or do you not want to see it at all? And then there is that story above which has someone poking diners with a stick to see how they react. Apparently this person was not their server. Would the word get around to all the other servers that the guests at Table 10 just want to eat in peace. Actually I think the best option is to try eating at the bar, although you can't make a reservation for the bar and it's often full.

I agree Trails End might be a worthy substitute (for food, not the decor)

Thanks for the advice all. I'd not thought about what it would be like watching others, and how uncomfortable that would be. Even the lovely menu isn't worth that!

We'll have to have a think about where else we might want to eat, but I think we'll be giving 50s PT a miss. :)

We love 50's however we want the antics, well I should say my DD and I want the antics and my DH can take it or leave it. I went as a solo diner in January and was worried what it would look like and was actually my best dining experience my whole solo trip. My "cousin" and his friend would keep sitting with me and asking me if I was paying for their dinner to or if I could take his friend to the park as he can't cross the street yet. The experience made me more relaxed. But if it is not something you would want to experience I would recommend to try somewhere else or at the bar but if you choose the bar then I would go early as the wait can be long as it is a small area. Enjoy whatever you do choose. :)

I would advise against going there because of the bolded part. I wouldn't think that they would give you that kind of treatment if you requested them not to, but the tables around you would probably be getting that treatment. So there would be no way to avoid witnessing it, and if reading accounts of it makes you uncomfortable, I'm sure seeing it going on would do so as well.

Totally agree. I would even add, that on our last visit I "told on" my brother-in-law for hiding his food and our waiter pulled my chair with me on it to another table to sit with an entirely different party. Luckily they were up for the fun too. I love the playfulness and wish they would do even more. They used to have a waiter that looked and sounded exactly like a young Jerry Lewis. He was the best! Love it when they make DH wear the dunce cap or do "I'm a little teapot." The kids laugh so hard they cry. The food is really just good to ok. We go mainly for the fun and atmosphere.

We've eaten there at least 10 times and we don't like to play either. I just tell the host when checking in that we would like a quiet table. It's rare to even see any antics that would make me uncomfortable there any more. 10 years ago yes but it's very toned down now. We enjoy the food and style of the restaurant. I'm sure you will enjoy your meal there!

Totally agree. I would even add, that on our last visit I "told on" my brother-in-law for hiding his food and our waiter pulled my chair with me on it to another table to sit with an entirely different party. Luckily they were up for the fun too. I love the playfulness and wish they would do even more. They used to have a waiter that looked and sounded exactly like a young Jerry Lewis. He was the best! Love it when they make DH wear the dunce cap or do "I'm a little teapot." The kids laugh so hard they cry. The food is really just good to ok. We go mainly for the fun and atmosphere.

OH MY, I love going there but just hearing this makes me scared to go back. I think I could sit with strangers and wear dunce cap but sing ....... :scared:

DH and I are killing the time before we can book our trip by talking about ADRs we want and checking out menus. We both LOVE the look of the food available at 50's Prime Time, but would hate the kind of interaction that goes with it. I read somewhere that if you don't want them to treat you like that, you can tell them you're not playing or something like that.

I'm just wondering what people's experiences of that are... Will they actually honour your request not to be treated like that? If we know we'd be able to go and not have the banter, this will be a must do for the food, but if there's a chance they won't listen, it's not an option.

Thanks in advance!

As with other posters I highly recommend Trail's End at Wilderness Lodge campgrounds. The food is similar to PT 50's (solid American) and the boat trip to the campgrounds is very enjoyable. I go every trip. Check out their menu, you'll love it. BTW I can't handle shenanigans either. We ate at Whispering Canyon and were very unhappy.

This is a reverse on another frequent question we see on this board: "I really want to eat at XYZ restaurant to experience the ambiance, but there's nothing on the menu that I like. Would they make me a dish of ABC even though its not on the menu?" My advice is the same- find another place that fits your needs.

We sort of had both problems at Hollywood studios. We really wanted to eat at Sci-fi for the Atmosphere but don't care much for the menu and we like the menu at 50's prime time but don't want to deal with "shenanigans" of the place as we're both not the most "interactive" people.

After going back and forth between the two, We now have a lunch ADR for Mama Melrose.

We are not too big on shenanigans and never felt pressured or uncomfortable at Prime Time. The CM seemed to pick up on it right away. So other than being called Cuz, we were treated no differently there than any other restaurant on property.

Last edited:
We ate there in October 2014. Our family is very boisterous and can handle some ribbing. But the problem we had was that our waitress was so busy doing her schtick that she was not being a very good waitress. Just trying to get water for the table, she acted like we were being bad kids and kept walking away. Hey lady, we need some water! We had to flag down a bus boy to get our water. Did not appreciate the game in lieu of good service. But, the food was very good. My sister and i shared the fried chicken platter and it was delicious and more than plenty. We would probably go back and hope for a more attentive waitress.

Thanks for the advice all. I'd not thought about what it would be like watching others, and how uncomfortable that would be. Even the lovely menu isn't worth that!

We'll have to have a think about where else we might want to eat, but I think we'll be giving 50s PT a miss. :)

Good decision! For what it's worth, we eat at the bar there often. (I love their meatloaf and onion rings, but would HATE the antics. And the bartenders are not only super nice, they make excellent cocktails.) You may want to pop your head in to check for empty bar stools. Other good choices with similar food genre: House of Blues, Captain's Grille, Trails End.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter