"Not Playing" at 50's Prime Time

Check out the menus for Trail's End at the Fort Wilderness. I really enjoyed the chicken & waffles entree I had for lunch there. They have fried chicken & homestyle entrees too for the dinner buffet (which also happens to be the cheapest price for a dinner buffet on property w/really good ratings). Or maybe just take some fried chicken w/sides to go from the window & have a picnic, then explore the grounds for a bit?

I also agree with eating at the Tune In Lounge where you can order the full menu from 50's, but I'd suggest doing that for an early lunch as they open to make sure you can grab a couple of bar stools since it's pretty small. :)

If the menu appeals to you, but the antics don't, find the nearest Cracker Barrel and have better food for half the price.

Sadly, we won't have a car (because wrong side of the road is scary!! ;) ) but Trail End and Liberty Tree are definitely worth checking out :)

I agree that the antics are sort of dumb here. Not my thing at all. We have eaten at the bar and it was fine. If you are a small party, just do that or skip,it. Food isn't that great anyway.

can you recommend somewhere with a similar menu range? We love the look of the food, and it's not stuff we tend to get at restaurants here in the UK. :)
I would definitely recommend Trails End buffet at Fort Wilderness Campground. If the weather is good, its a pleasant boat ride from the dock at MK. Definitely take the boat rather than the bus to avoid bus transfers and confusion via the Wilderness Lodge. Remember to budget extra time for the transportation. Classic "southern-style" food including tasty fried chicken, corn bread, ribs, some type of carvery, etc. I'm from Canada so these are foods we don't see everyday either. A bonus is that its incredibly reasonable for Disney dining. Probably the least $ buffet on property, too. Don't forget to pop your head into the Crockett Tavern downstairs for a look see. BTW, I've had the same debate with myself about 50s Primetime. I would like to try it once (maybe just for the fried chicken or meatloaf) but know that after a long day, I just wouldn't be in the mood for any antics at all. I'm more of a morning person. I'm keeping the option of eating at the bar open . . . and one day may do that. I know that the wait staff play along the same lines at Whispering Canyon. Years ago, I was with a teenage niece who was having a very bad day. Tired & beyond cranky. I didn't know anything about the restaurant and we just walked in for a late breakfast. The waiter could immediately tell by our faces that we were having an off day, dropped the schtick immediately, and was very kind, understanding and compassionate. Mostly of me, I think:blush:. Chances are that they would be great with you and your husband at Primetime. But, if it stresses you even a bit to think about it and the 1950s grandma's kitchen decor doesn't do much for you, go to Trails End instead if the food is what you really crave. The Trail's End theming is rustic pioneer/Old West and that is interesting for many of us international travellers to boot! Enjoy!

I love eating there because of the interaction. My first time I had no idea what to expect. I was having a bad day already (stubbed toe in the morning, twisted ankle trying to avoid someone's wayward toddler) and was just ready to sit down and eat in quiet while I fumed over my bad day. That had me laughing so hard that I turned around and ate there again for dinner (was able to walk in and get seated). It was fantastic! Does your hubby know what it's about? He might enjoy it more than you think. My dad was dead set against it and we dragged him in there. He goes back every time. What got him was when he went to the bathroom and came back. They server told him he could not eat unless he had washed his hands (thankfully he had). He remembered his mom at that moment (she had passed away a few years ago) and he started to enjoy himself.

As I have said, we won't be eating there. We won't be ruining anyone's fun or upsetting CMs by being killjoys.

I'm really very sorry I asked. I obviously got the wrong end of the stick from what I'd heard, and I've now learnt it is not OK to not want to join in and as such we will dine elsewhere. Sorry for offending you by trying to get the facts straight :(

My husband is a wonderful man and doesn't need to loosen up because he's naturally shyer than others. Different folks, different strokes.

If you have your heart set on eating there, give it a try. I am sure they will honor your wishes to have a shtick free meal. As long as seeing others go through the antics doesn't bother you, go and enjoy the food. The tables are close together like most WDW restaurants. So be ready to be in the middle of others enjoying the fun. But don't feel that you have to join in. No one will think anything of it. I know I wouldn't. Even if you hate it, it is only a hour or so out of your life. Have a great trip!

I'm really very sorry I asked. I obviously got the wrong end of the stick from what I'd heard, and I've now learnt it is not OK to not want to join in and as such we will dine elsewhere. Sorry for offending you by trying to get the facts straight :(

My husband is a wonderful man and doesn't need to loosen up because he's naturally shyer than others. Different folks, different strokes.
I really hate it when people get stepped on for just asking an honest, down to earth question. Disboards should be about people having a chance to do this, getting honest answers, but pleasant and compassionate ones at that. If you love 50s Primetime, I get that. I have my fav restaurants too. But please don't treat others badly because they don't know if they will love it too or even fit in. I sometimes wonder if some posters just see the avatar and question but forget that there is a real person with feelings behind it. Online posting sometimes robs us of our human decency. If we had to look someone in the eye while saying some of this stuff, I bet we would watch our words. Please play nice. For the OP, please don't be discouraged because you've had a rough ride on this post. Hang tough & know that while this restaurant may not be for you & your husband, there are many other wonderful choices in the World. Cheers!

OP: Have you ever sat down for dinner with family and not receive some type of bantering? I consider it the same experience you would receive at 50's. I would think my family is sick or something if someone wasn't kidding around.

DH and I are killing the time before we can book our trip by talking about ADRs we want and checking out menus. We both LOVE the look of the food available at 50's Prime Time, but would hate the kind of interaction that goes with it. I read somewhere that if you don't want them to treat you like that, you can tell them you're not playing or something like that.

I'm just wondering what people's experiences of that are... Will they actually honour your request not to be treated like that? If we know we'd be able to go and not have the banter, this will be a must do for the food, but if there's a chance they won't listen, it's not an option.

Thanks in advance!

Last time we went we ended up wanting to eat well before our adr so we ended up eating in the lounge at the prime time instead of the Resturant. There wasn't any playing there, they just brought us our food. Same menu. Just an idea.

OP: Have you ever sat down for dinner with family and not receive some type of bantering? I consider it the same experience you would receive at 50's. I would think my family is sick or something if someone wasn't kidding around.

It's a very different thing to banter among the people you love most in the world compared to banter instigated by a stranger who doesn't know any of you or the things that are off limit or not.

I can banter with my husband because I know when and where to stop. He's not even comfortable with that kind of thing when we have someone round he hasn't spent much time with or doesn't know. But that's OK, because he's also the best person I have ever met and I wouldn't change him for anyone. :)

I can banter with my husband because I know when and where to stop. He's not even comfortable with that kind of thing when we have someone round he hasn't spent much time with or doesn't know. But that's OK, because he's also the best person I have ever met and I wouldn't change him for anyone. :)
Good for you. You've had a very tough post but don't give up on Disboards & don't give up on yourself. Some posts here have been from veterans who should have known much better to have been so negative. I'm not impressed by that but other than posting my dismay, there's not much I can do. That's water under the bridge now. Gather yourself up, enjoy your next vacation to the absolute max, and when you get back, please don't forget many of the newbie posters here who will need your advice, experience and support. Always remember the underdogs. Always do what works best for you & your husband. Be positive for yourselves & for others. Follow your gut. Know that you have friends. Some are new and are reluctant to post in support. Some don't want the attention. I'm just too old at 45 yrs or so to give a darn! I will always enjoy disney world in my own way. Even if can't access disboards. Very best wishes!

We don't want to be treated any differently to any waiter in any restaurant. Polite and professional.

We don't want to be brought our leftovers in a dish with cream, or told off for getting our phones out at the table, or to be teased about anything, or asked questions about the colour of the soap or anything like that. My husband is painfully shy (and VERY British!), and would find that kind of thing mortifying. Even reading the accounts of people on the DIS and other places make me uncomfortable. I understand other people find it fun and that's fine, but we wouldn't... so much so, if it were a problem that we didn't want that, we'd eat somewhere else.
You most definitely should not go to Prime Time. It's a fantastic experience with great food and tons of fun. Based on your quote above, you would not feel the same way about it. While I agree that the servers can read who wants to be a part of it and who doesn't, why bother going to a restaurant whose "theme" is not up your alley?

If he's not even comfortable with what we all consider "normal" bantering with you, then this probably is not for him. MOST people who go there have a blast. Even people who aren't comfortable with it tend to enjoy it if they allow themselves. But MOST people can handle their families bantering as well. It probably isn't for him. The best thing you can do is tell him what it's like and let him decide. If he doesn't want to, avoid it. If he thinks he could try it, then go for it. Either way, don't let one restaurant ruin your trip!

I agree with the others that say don't go. My family loved the place but we do this kind of in good fun picking on each other all the time.

Even if the servers agreed you weren't playing your still going to hear the antics from all the other tables so its not going to be a quiet normal dinner. With as uncomfortable as your husband sounds with the idea I think just that and the anticipation that it might be an issue would be too much. So don't recommend eating here or whispering canyon cafe as it has antics as well.

OP, sounds like you already decided not to go. But, just a FYI, when we went several years ago it was very tame. After eating, I thought is that it? I do think that if you respond with a polite smile to a joke, etc., the servers will pick up on your interest or lack thereof. The 50's atmosphere has cute theming and if the food appeals to you, don't necessarily rule it out. I'm sure there have been many, many reserved diners over the years that the CM's are used to.

:grouphug: Hi. So sorry that you ended up with the "I'm right, you're wrong" Disboards treatment. We aren't all like that and absolutely want to help you have the best experience you can.

I was going to suggest the 50's Lounge, which has the same menu but no servers, antics, etc. I also like the Trail's End suggestions, we eat there almost every trip. There is usually some sort of roast, not necessarily Pot Roast, but usually beef or pork. They have two kinds of chicken - fried and grilled, pork ribs, chili or soup, peel n eat shrimp, tasty mac & cheese (for Disney anyway), and a really great hot fruit cobbler for dessert that is fantastic with ice cream on top.

If you can plan an evening at Trail's End, depending on when you go, you can head out to the Beach at Fort wilderness to watch MK fireworks. They pipe in the music over speakers and you see everything in the sky. Then at 9:45, the Electrical Water Pageant goes by which is fun and cute. The best schedule is when Wishes is as 10 so you see both in a row.

You can take the boat to and from MK for Fort wilderness, or depending on when you're ready to go home you can grab a bus to your resort. They have buses after the 2nd and 3rd Hoop De Doo shows to take everyone home, right from the bus stop near HDDR.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter