not buying child ticket for 3 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the same boat you are in wanting to go in May but DS turns 3 in April, so we are trying to go in March! I could not cheat. We had to pay airfare for DS last trip which was 15 days after he turned two, which was a hard one, so I do understand the cost!

Originally posted by cokegal19
You know, I really do understand both sides of this. And both sides have good points. I've thought about it and although we really can't afford it, I do think it might be best to just buy a ticket for my son. We have a budget that we set aside every month for our next trip. I think what I'll do is just set aside a little extra every month for my sons ticket, or just buy it earlier, so the money won't come out of our initial trip budget. That way we won't notice the money difference. I DO NOT want to encourage my son to think that it is ok to lie, because it's not.

:jumping1:

Glad to hear it! It is tough having to pay for 3-year olds, but it's so worth it to do the right thing.

Just my 2 cents--

First of all, I do believe that if a child is 3 they should have a ticket. What I'm trying to understand are the many opinions that a 3 year old isn't able to do much at the parks. We've taken DD when she was 2, 3, 4 and 5 and taken DS when he was 2. When DD was 3 she did most things, although she wasn't 40 inches yet, so that was her cut off. This year DS will be 3, and he will be over 40 inches. The only things I can think of that he won't do are MS, TT, RNR, Space Mountain, Dinosaur and PW. In fact, at 2 years old he essentially went on everything he was big enough for. So my quesion is, why is 3 too young for a ticket?

This is interesting, I have no say in this b.c I havent been to disney with kids. I do plan on bringing my youngest dd's birth cert with us b.c she is enormous, she looks to be 4 but turns 2 on sept 26. I would get a ticket, just b.c thats what you should do.

Kristen

We are going next October (2005). My daughter will be 3 that July. The thought of not buying her a ticket never even crossed my mind. It is just wrong, plain & simple, plus what lesson are you teaching your child?

To each his own, but it is not something I would do. If I couldn't afford to buy her ticket, I would save for another year before going.

It seriously makes me sad at how mean you all can be in your posts -

My daughter is turning 3 the week we go and Disney told me that meals and tickets are based on her age when we make reservations. (Using their 90 day priority seating)

I think cokegal19 had a realistic post - trying to see what other people have experienced in this category.

I live near Kings Island in Ohio and was shocked to find out from a friend and confirm it with the park that if I buy MY season pass for next year now - that I will not have to buy one for my daughter who will turn 3 over the winter b/c they base it on the age of the child from when the family buys its passes. (which I know is not Disney's policy but it proves that this is not always a black and white issue - even at Disney - if you turn 3 during the trip - you don't need to buy a ticket)

Also - affording the DVC does not mean you have a million dollars to spend on trips. I have the DVC so that I can spread out the payments on my lodging and then have a limited outlay of cash when I go to Disney - I am still e-baying, having a garage sale, asking for money for our birthdays for the trip and saving my change.

I seriously doubt that none of you have never made a grey decision - I would say attacking her moral character without knowing her is not exactly moral - let's try to be a little nicer to each other!!!!!!!!!

I wish they would charge by height!!! I have a DS who is three, but tells you he is four, so you can't always go on what a kid tells you! But he is very short for his age. This means that he won't be going on alot of things at WDW. He is 38" tall and last time we went, DD was 40" and missed out on alot so I know he'll miss some things! (Oh, he will be 4yrs 2 mos when we go back so plenty old enough to enjoy the atmosphere --and buy a ticket--but I am disappointed that he will miss out on the rides)

I agree with the fact that even if you go on their birthday you need a ticket. (Unless the start of the trip is before their birthday).

I live near Kings Island in Ohio and was shocked to find out from a friend and confirm it with the park that if I buy MY season pass for next year now - that I will not have to buy one for my daughter who will turn 3 over the winter b/c they base it on the age of the child from when the family buys its passes.

Thats cool, if disney had a policy like this, but they dont. Their park, their rules.

It all really boils down to the OP knew it was wrong and wanted to know if it was worth the risk.

We all know Disney can be expensive, but we still have to follow the rules.

ANd Im glad they dont charge by height. By the time my DS was 3 we was over 40" even though he wouldnt ride the ones he was "allowed" to.

My daughter is turning 3 the week we go and Disney told me that meals and tickets are based on her age when we make reservations. (Using their 90 day priority seating)

I believe the difference here is that your daughter turns 3 during the trip which is different than being 3 at the onset of the trip. The Disney reservation system asks for "child ages at time of travel". I don't think if your child was 2 yrs 10 months when you made your reservations for 3 months later that she would not need a ticket/meal.

I think the OP has gotten the point ;) Geez! LOL! I have never posted, but felt the need after reading this thread.

I think the OP has gotten the point ;) Geez! LOL! I have never posted, but felf the need after reading this thread.

I know it may be "morally" wrong to do, but if I can save the money, why not?
Because it is cheating, lying and stealing

son will be 3 in June, and we are going in October. Do you think this is to big of a gap between his birthday and when we are going to "cheat" the system?
Yes, I do.

Will they ask for ID for him? Will they make us buy a ticket? Has anyone else ever done this? If they have a suspision that he is older than 3, will they make me buy my son a ticket?
They will not ask for ID, what type of ID would a 3yo have anyway. Yes if they find that your child is over 3 they will make you buy a ticket.

If it's okay for you than it's okay for everyone. My DD will have just turned 4 when we go. She is very small for her age and therefore, will not be able to do a lot of the rides either. Should I have to pay? Yes, and I am no question about it. Why because that is the way disney has laid out their guidelines. Pay for the ticket that is the right thing to do. The way I feel about it is, something always comes back and bites you in the behind. Just MHO though.

Yes, you people are pretty rude. I never said I was going to do it. I was asking if anyone else has done it and what their experience of it was. I am not a bad person, and as I said before, I do not want to encourage my son that it is ok to lie. The childs ticket is not much compared to how much we plan on spending on this trip, so it's not life or death. It would, however, be nice to have the extra money in our pocket to do other things, but if we can't, we can't.

Disneycrista, and by asking "Will they ask for Id for my son", I was talking about a birth certificate or something like it.

Originally posted by cutienibbler
I think the OP has gotten the point ;) Geez!

I think so too! So this thread is being closed.

And please remember this from our "Guidelines for Posting:

We do not believe in censorship, and open discussions about various issues is encouraged. We ask that everyone conduct himself or herself with respect when speaking to other people. It is okay to disagree, as long as the discussion remains respectful of the feelings of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter