Not a fan of the "new" Unbeach Club Villas

...they put in Hampton Inn suites with small thematic touches...

Your quote perfectly describes the original BCV room design. Look at the photo Sammie posted. Back in the 1990s, that's what Holiday Inn, Best Western and all of the other chains were doing. The garish comforters, bright paint colors, busy carpeting, etc. The only "Disney" touches you'll find are artwork, lamps, maybe some Hidden Mickeys in the bedding or carpet. Same as today.

For the last decade, most DVC rooms had fallen so far behind the rest of the hospitality industry that we convinced ourselves it was a result of "Disney theming." These resorts are finally catching up to the rest of the industry, providing what travelers have come to expect in the 21st century.

Your quote perfectly describes the original BCV room design. Look at the photo Sammie posted. Back in the 1990s, that's what Holiday Inn, Best Western and all of the other chains were doing. The garish comforters, bright paint colors, busy carpeting, etc. The only "Disney" touches you'll find are artwork, lamps, maybe some Hidden Mickeys in the bedding or carpet. Same as today.

For the last decade, most DVC rooms had fallen so far behind the rest of the hospitality industry that we convinced ourselves it was a result of "Disney theming." These resorts are finally catching up to the rest of the industry, providing what travelers have come to expect in the 21st century.
I agree they're thankfully catching up with the modernization. . .but they're still copping out on theme. :thumbsup2

Apparently Disney/DVC feels that the resorts and the lobby provides the theming and not the rooms.

:earsboy: Bill

I agree they're thankfully catching up with the modernization. . .but they're still copping out on theme. :thumbsup2

How so? Specifically, how was the prior room design more true to the theme than the new?

How so? Specifically, how was the prior room design more true to the theme than the new?
I didn't say it was "more true to the theme," as it certainly wasn't in all the resorts. In fact, the picture given above is a perfect example of how far off track they got. On the other hand, the kitschy look in VWL always appealed to me (though, again, I admit it needed modernizing). To me, obviously not so to you, Disney corrected one aspect by upgrading the rooms but failing to use as much imagination to also reinforce the thematic elements. ;)

I didn't say it was "more true to the theme," as it certainly wasn't in all the resorts. In fact, the picture given above is a perfect example of how far off track they got. On the other hand, the kitschy look in VWL always appealed to me (though, again, I admit it needed modernizing). To me, obviously not so to you, Disney corrected one aspect by upgrading the rooms but failing to use as much imagination to also reinforce the thematic elements. ;)

Very similar to my thoughts Sleepy. The details in the room seemed to receive more attention with previous designs. Now, by most appearances, they are bought off the shelf. One of my most disliked is that leaf rug they put in at VWL. Lowes all the way. Maybe Target. What surprised me quite a bit was seeing that at BCV they used the same bathroom vanities and I believe wall art as they did on the hotel side. Buying in bulk. I think it's the first time they've used the same elements in both.

Some may think a faucet is a faucet. Or a lamp is a lamp. But there's a myriad available that convey a certain feel. Disney went with "industry standard" and while it's fine I happen to expect just a little more from them as that is what really built the theme parks.

Last edited:
I think the problem is just a difference of what "beach" means to some. To those that like the new design it means shells, coral, sand, water and the colors of those.

For others the beach means floral bedspreads, orange and green plaid couches, leaf design carpet.

As to elements from the new décor in the hotel beach club rooms being used in the villas, I am sure that is due to member feedback. Many have always felt the rooms looked nicer than the villas. Finally they look as nice.

Last edited:
So, if they put a Hampton Inn where BCV is, you would pay an extra $300 per night to stay there?

I'd use my Hilton points. :D

I just stayed in an $89 Hampton Inn last week that had 2 less burnt out light bulbs (meaning zero), the shower head did not spray water all over the bathroom unless strategically aimed in one specific spot, and the mattress was infinitely more comfortable. Other than that, it was comparable to our recent stay in a refurbed 1BR BCV villa. And it had the same number of working dishwashers, too...:confused: (meaning zero once again)

We're here at BCV's now. Have been members since 2002 and anticipating not so good reviews on the latest rehab, I'm happy to report, we are thrilled with the new BCV!! Absolutely love it. We're in a studio and it all feels so new and beautiful. Love the hallway carpeting, was dreading the lack of storage, and honestly I have no idea what people are talking about. We found plenty of space for everything and love the extra drawers in the coffee table and bedside table. We also really like the small table to have breakfast on every morning. The bed is so comfortable too. The only thing I will warn the folks that love clocks, the best thing I packed was a light up digital clock. Before we got here, we stayed a few days at our son's house and he too did not have a bedside clock and ended up using an iPhone clock app, worked great as it lit up all night, but it sucked up all the battery life. So, if this is important, just bring a small clock. Otherwise, so happy with our new BCV home!

But truly, more importantly than individual preference, do you find the room *theemed* properly?
The theming is truly the only thing Disney has over off site resorts.
Transporting you to a different dimension is what Disney does.
Take that away and,,,,....????

MG
And I have Epcot a 5 minute walk away. I have HS a 10 minute walk away. I have uniformly friendly Cast Members. I can run to France for pastries in the morning and get a school bread in Norway in the evenings while staying in a lovely, restful room. :)

Which leads to my point earlier that Disney no longer wishes to do quality theming since it's likely too costly. Thus, they put in Hampton Inn suites with small thematic touches which serves no one well.

I stay at Hampton Inns pretty often, as does my DH. . .the villas are no Hampton. Hilton maybe. And if Hilton owned the BCV, that room in that location would be about the same price.

We stayed in a Grand Villa at the Boardwalk recently.

UGLY. Cold. It wasn't at all "charming" or "whimsical" - which is what Disney did so well. The decor felt more Vegas than Disney - and it didn't feel "homey" at all.

I go to Disney for whimsy. I stay on site in part because its immersive.

I stay in Hilton's pretty often. DVC isn't a Hilton. I'd throw it way more on the Hampton end of the scale. But its a timeshare, not a hotel. And most Hilton room decor - even most Hampton room decor feels warm and welcoming - not cold and institutional.

I stay at Hampton Inns pretty often, as does my DH. . .the villas are no Hampton. Hilton maybe. And if Hilton owned the BCV, that room in that location would be about the same price.

I've stayed in at least 40 Hamptons. They're comparable, especially with some of their recent refurbs. Sure, some are older, but the fact that I even thought about it at all indicates the "genericness" of the DVC refurbs. Sure they're nice, but definitely nothing special.

Let's face it Disney is expensive. Very expensive. We are a family of 6, and I have to drop $10,000 to go on an 8 day trip there.
The reason that I and countless others do it over and over again is that it is a last respite in a darkening world. We pay the big bucks because Disney has understood story and the battle of light and darkness, good and evil. At Disney you can have the faith of a child, celebrate Magic, and believe that dreams will come true. They have given us truth, beauty, and goodness, and that never goes out of style. Over the years, they have done all that with excellent service, and what we have called pixie dust, things that make us feel special and important. They have created this wonderful place that we call the bubble that also includes all their themed resorts and transportation. We want to be transformed into this world and a big part of that is their theming. Over the years they have built up quite a lot of capital to draw from in rich story, Snow White, Aurora, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Figment, Belle, Ariel, Elsa, and many others.
Having said that, I'll admit that I have growing concerns that I have seen many of you express on here. I am afraid that Disney is getting by on the capital from years past and not a current commitment from their upper level management on what makes Disney great. I'm seeing more and more of a chasing of the dollar from increased prices, to more and more upcharges for "events" to going with whatever the hot IP is and throwing together rides or attractions that don't focus on heavy theming and story, but just effects only. To turning their resorts into expensive Hiltons? A lot of these things are neat, but are no different than Anypark, USA. So, in my opinion, if they want to keep charging the big bucks, then they must deliver on what has always made them distinct. I'm willing to keep going and spending my hard earned money in the meantime as I see how things develop. I'm encouraged by Animal Kingdom and what seems like a highly themed land of Avatar and what looks like it will be a great show at Rivers of Life. But, if they decide to turn EPCOT into the latest hot IP land, and the new rides start all going virtual reality with no transformative theming, and my hotel becomes a glorified Hilton, then you all won't have to compete with me anymore for reservations. Thanks in advance for letting me vent. LOL

What TJ and I have asked and never seems to get an answer, what in the older decor was beach to you?

It seems it is easy for some of you to say what you dislike about the new decor, but you never seem to say how orange and green plaid couch, leafy carpet that was compared to everything you see at Target or Lowe's and a floral bedspread says beach theme?

DSC_3865.JPG

Last edited:
Actually yes I do, other than a few pieces of art work in the old decor, I found nothing about it said Beach to me. The garish bright colors are not what I think of when I think beach. I think of subtle sand tones and light blues, coral and waves. All that is found in the new decor and was very much lacking in the old decor.

To me, this is first time that the rooms really look Beach to me.

Other than two pieces of cheap art on the walls, there is absolutely nothing in this photo that says Beach to me.
DSC_3865.JPG

I agree. And I really wanted to like the new decor in the BCV, but I think they really dropped the ball on it. They could have made some good upgrades but instead appear to have spent most of the money on that dang folding bed/trailer table monstrosity. Very disappointed with the plans at our home resort of OKW too.

I agree. And I really wanted to like the new decor in the BCV, but I think they really dropped the ball on it. They could have made some good upgrades but instead appear to have spent most of the money on that dang folding bed/trailer table monstrosity. Very disappointed with the plans at our home resort of OKW too.

I like the new decor, so not sure you were agreeing with me. :) Or where you agreeing the old decor did not speak Beach to you but the new decor doesn't either. :confused3

I think a few changes would make the villas more "beachy". Soften the decor a bit. Hoping theme changes will happen in the next go around of renovations, not suggesting this happen right now.

Simple changes would do a lot to improve the decor, changes such as a different pattern for the chairs, something with a pastel "beach" pattern, replacing the futuristic lamps with something that you would find in a beach villa (maybe a shell lamp), and change out the cheap looking plastic silver mirror frame replacing it with a wood pastel colored frame. Also, provide a duvet instead of a cheap thin blanket. Even Hampton Inns provide their guest with duvets.

We choose our vacation resort based upon which theme we want to experience for that particular vacation, sometimes we are in the mood for Africa, sometimes Yellowstone, sometimes the beach.... As more and more DVC resorts are becoming generic, we are left with fewer theme options. If I want to just be close to Disney Springs or Epcot, there are less expensive options that we can use our "points" for, such as Hilton or SPG hotels.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter