Not a fan of the automatic tip charging.

Not a fan and haven't since I first encountered it on another cruise line in 2000. Believe it diminishes the level of service if the tip is already a forgone conclusion.

But that is the difference. The auto charge is not a forgone conclusion. Tips can easily be adjusted on DCL. (Don't know if anyone has tried to change them on cruiselines where they are a "service charge" but that is practically impossible.) And the DCL servers don't know until the end when you hand them their tip envelope if you have adjusted them up, down, removed them, left them the same or added cash. I've sailed a few times on the Magic since they had the auto tips and have not seen any decline in service. (Trust me, I'm with you that automatically handing someone a tip regardless of the job they do will tend to make them less concerned about the level of service they provide.)

We were on the Wonder in April. Had difficulties with our stateroom and had to be moved, the same night we switched our dining team (to our requested server). When we were at guest services (this was day 2), we asked that they remove the tips from our account as we wanted to handle it on our own to make sure all the proper people got the proper tips. They (GS) didn't ask any questions, just removed them and we were on our way.

So then, it is possible for a true non-tipper to still not tip. They board the ship, remove the tips, and then give the servers/hosts nothing. Correct? :confused3

P.S. I've prepaid my tips. ;) Just asking.

So then, it is possible for a true non-tipper to still not tip. They board the ship, remove the tips, and then give the servers/hosts nothing. Correct? :confused3

P.S. I've prepaid my tips. ;) Just asking.

I really don't know why someone would go to such trouble and also it's more then likely someone who isn't going to tip doesn't know that they will be charged for the tips anyway.

I really don't know why someone would go to such trouble and also it's more then likely someone who isn't going to tip doesn't know that they will be charged for the tips anyway.

It's not an unexplained charge on your account, DCL tells each cabin of the gratuity charge that is automatically added.

I changed some of the tips on the Hawaii cruise. It was not a hassle. And it is not an unexplained charge. There is a sheet left in the stateroom that says it is being done. I suppose that maybe some folks won't read the papers left in the staterooms but what more can they do? I am sure that they are doing it now because a majority of cruise lines assess tips this way, and it helps keep the crew from getting stiffed entirely. I know I've seen a lot of posters who don't think they ought to tip for an infant.

If they read the paper in the room, and are bound and determined not to tip, then they will go to GS and have the tips removed. It's not going to stop anyone whose intent is to not leave any tips at all.

but what more can they do?

They could not put charges on my account that I have not authorized. They could not use their standard "for my convenience" excuse that is not true.

This is caused by inconsiderate guests who stiff the servers. I understand. But I still do not appreciate receiving a charge I did not authorize and being given a reason that is not true.

I suppose, anyone adamantly opposed to tipping, won't have a problem removing them. Although, automatic tipping, might result in smaller gratuities for standout service. I always, tend to add extra, if I'm filling out the paperwork. IMO

I am glad they have done this. I believe when I sign the contract, I am authorizing DCL to charge things to my account, which is why I give a CC number to them. I know that I can leave a cash deposit, should I not want to use a CC. I will not go to guest services to remove or add to the standard tip, I will bring cash enough to cover what extra I might want to add, that cash goes into the little envelope along with the ticket from DCL. I have cruised enough to have a good idea of what the extra amount will be, too. I know there are some people who will remove the auto tip and not pay a single cent, because they are not only cheap, but treat the crew like crap the entire cruise. There are people who would "forget" to tip but since it is already done, the won't be bothered to take them off the account. I don't know if tipping will ever go away, this is a hot button topic on many oher cruise discussion boards. The same things are brought up all the time. Different ships, same dicussions.

We like the automatic tipping. We had it previously on Princess. We were on the Fantasy last week, but didn't realize we were supposed to give the other half of the voucher to our servers. They still get credit, right? Admittedly, it did feel awkward that my FIL handed out envelopes, as well as the other table assigned to our servers, and we did not. But our tips were on auto-pilot.

I was new to cruising and being a Brit, fairly new to tipping! I didn't mind this system it was certainly hassle free however I felt a little awkward just handing out an envelope with a slip of paper giving out the standard amounts - it did feel a bit like a service charge rather than tipping. I know we could have given extra but whilst service was excellent I don't think it was exceptional! But being British, perhaps we're just tight!

They could not put charges on my account that I have not authorized. They could not use their standard "for my convenience" excuse that is not true.

This is caused by inconsiderate guests who stiff the servers. I understand. But I still do not appreciate receiving a charge I did not authorize and being given a reason that is not true.
Let me first say that with the exception of the one time I had an inexcusably incompetent server, I have always tipped very generously and been happy to do so. I strongly object to their new policy however. The problem I have with it is not so much that they automatically charge my card with the recommended amount, it is WHEN they charge it, the first day I board the ship, long before the services have been rendered. To me it is akin to walking into a land-based restaurant and before even being seated, handing over the gratuity to the host and saying, "This is for the service I hope to receive." :rotfl2:

If they are going to have auto-gratuities, I think on the next to last night a letter should appear in the room stating that automatic gratuities will be applied the next evening and to contact guest services for any adjustments to the amount. Forget "convenience." To me, that would be the most "fair" for everyone concerned. Otherwise, stop calling it a gratuity and include it up front in the price of the cruise as a "service charge," which is what it amounts to the way they do it now. :(

You do realize that the tip is mot paid to the CM until after you leave the ship? After the first night you can go to guest services and remove it from your stateroom account. It isn't charged to your CC one day one..

Most cruise lines call it a service charge. I think that Disney is just now catching up to the rest of the industry. If you want to remove it no big, I'm sure the folks at GS won't have a problem with it as long as you are standing in front of them. To me that's just a bit cheap. Last year on the med cruise I talked to a server (they are not allowed to talk about this but...) who said they got stiffed a lot on the Baltic cruises and that the crew was complaining a lot to DCL about it.

I know that lots of people think that the servers ought to bring them their meals on the royal platter served with large amounts of pixie dust and make just the perfect Mickey face the the prince and princesses ketchup, before they see a dime in "tips". But in all honesty, as long as they keep their thumbs out of the food and don't spill anything on me, that's fine. I'm not forging long lasting relationships with them. Housekeepers, just keep me in towels, make the bed and keep the ice bucket full. We'll get along just fine and there will be a little sumpin sumpin in the envelope at the end of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts