Not a fan of the automatic tip charging.

If you want to make a change, you can do it via your stateroom phone ... whether you are increasing or decreasing your gratuity! ::yes::

This apparently wasn't an option on the Wonder either. I stopped by Guest Services on the last day of our cruise to add to our gratuities. The CM told me that I needed to bring the tickets that we already received because they had to destroy those prior to printing new tickets with the increased gratuity. So....back to the cabin I went to get the old tickets!

This apparently wasn't an option on the Wonder either. I stopped by Guest Services on the last day of our cruise to add to our gratuities. The CM told me that I needed to bring the tickets that we already received because they had to destroy those prior to printing new tickets with the increased gratuity. So....back to the cabin I went to get the old tickets!

We always carry cash & add cash instead of changing the gratuities at Guest Services -- it works fine.

We always pre-pay our tips with our Disney Visa - this way we get reward dollars for the amount AND we get 6 months interest free financing. If you wait and have the tips automatically added, you don't get the interest free financing and your reward dollars can't be used on this vacation! (Of course, maybe that's an incentive to go back to Disney...)

Then the easiest way to give extra for the exceptional service is to just add cash to the ticket envelopes. That way most of the tip is direct deposited, and there's some cash for the crews' incidental expenses.

Also - there's no reason you can't tip those staff members who are not on your tip list. The best way to do this, is to write a detailed account of their exceptional service and give it to guest services. They have staff meetings each day, and those letters MEAN A LOT!!!! They may even read it out loud to everyone! And give a bonus to that employee.

For example, on our last cruise, there was one server who went sooooo far beyond it was insane! The first day, we went to the Enchanted Garden for lunch. Our youngest didn't like anything on the buffet - to be fair the kids' options were somewhat limited, and frankly, she was just tired and overexcited. A server from a nearby table passed as I was trying to coax her to eat. And she refused. He stopped and asked her what she would like to eat. She said, "Pizza." Of course, there was no pizza on the buffet! But he said he would get her pizza if she would promise to eat it all. (Which would never happen because she eats like a bird anyway.) She agreed though and he disappeared. He must have RUN up 8 decks! He was back very quickly (a little out of breath) with not only a kids' cheese pizza, but also french fries! She immediately starting eating.

But he didn't stop there. In his pocket, he had hidden some starburst candy. He pulled a couple out and flashed them at her - and said, she couldn't have one until she had finished her lunch! Well, she went to work on that pizza! Then every time he passed our table, he would "check" on her! she ate all of her pizza and earned her starburst!

But he didn't stop there either!!! Turns out, he wasn't our waiter, but he was on our dinner rotation. So we saw him every evening and occasionally at breakfast or lunch around the ship. Every time he saw our daughter, he made a big deal out of seeing her! She'd start looking for him! She even "wrote" him a thank you letter! (She was just 5 and couldn't spell yet so it was more a picture than words.) Then that turned into a game - each evening, she 'wrote' him a letter and he came over and gave her a hug! On the fourth night - he gave her a Minnie mouse!

I wrote a long letter about how wonderful his work had made our cruise. Our daughter was so excited to see him and it just made meals so much fun. On the last night of the cruise, he came over and thanked me for writing the letter. (I didn't figure he'd know about it until the end of the cruise.) But it turns out that the letter went all the way up to the senior staff of restaurant services! AND they read it out loud to the waitstaff at their staff meeting - as an example of the type of service they should be emulating! ANNNNDDD They gave him a $100 bonus on the spot!!! I never would have been able to tip that much extra! The letter made all the difference!

It was even more important for him, because he had reached the end of his 5th DCL contract. He was getting married and returning to his home country the next day to open his own restaurant!

Use the survey or just write a note - give a specific example and the crewmembers' names. DCL does reward those crewmembers in very tangible ways!

What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing. ;) I will be sure to acknowledge any CM on our March cruise with a written letter. Note to self - bring stationery! :thumbsup2

Princess Bette said:
What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing. ;) I will be sure to acknowledge any CM on our March cruise with a written letter. Note to self - bring stationery! :thumbsup2

Such an awesome story.. this is why we chose Disney....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter