Norwegian Beach Handball Team Fined for Wearing Shorts Instead of Bikini Bottoms

View attachment 590942

View attachment 590944

The women's team was fined $1700 for wearing these shorts instead of the bikini bottoms. But look at what the men wear. What is wrong with this policy?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports...dball-team-fined-not-playing-bikinis-n1274453
This is 2021, this is reprehensible; extremely sexist.

The Olympics have gone off the rails in the last 20 years (at least); they need to be disbanded.
Huge waste of money, puts countries/cities into bankruptcy, abuse of women very common.
Lots of $$ involved that only benefit a few.
They are no longer the pure competitions they should be; greed and egos run them.
JMHO.

I don't know the Olympic rules, does every team in every sport have to wear the same outfits? I do know swimming has gone through many changes in suits over the years, and some Muslim women have competed in much more cover.

Uniform requirements are part of each sport and they are set by the sport's governing body not the IOC.

In other news, 24-year old Paralympian sprinter Oliva Breen was told by officials that her shorts were too short and "inappropriate".

View attachment 590951
That’s because she must have forgotten to put them on and ended up getting all the way to the track in just her underpants.
This is 2021, this is reprehensible; extremely sexist.

The Olympics have gone off the rails in the last 20 years (at least); they need to be disbanded.
Huge waste of money, puts countries/cities into bankruptcy, abuse of women very common.
Lots of $$ involved that only benefit a few.
They are no longer the pure competitions they should be; greed and egos run them.
JMHO.
As much as I love international sport and the thrill when my country competes, it’s hard to disagree with what you say. As a former Olympic city (Winter 1988) a recent plebiscite here to bid on the 2026 games was an over-80% NO vote and I can’t say I’m sorry.

Uniform requirements are part of each sport and they are set by the sport's governing body not the IOC.
But the rationale still exists. Beach volleyball got a lot of criticism because they required revealing uniforms for women, but not for men. However, they relaxed their standards where one could optionally wear different uniforms. I heard they even had one athlete in Rio wearing a hijab.

Oh, don't count on it. DD competes at a high level in Synchronized Figure Skating, which is one of the only truly gender-neutral team sports that exists; there is no requirement about gender in it at all. It is majority-female, but the teams will take anyone of any gender who can pass the audition process.

Synchro has been trying to get approved as an Olympic sport for about 15 years now, and the IOC keeps voting no. The IOC maintains that the primary reason is that many teams of 16 athletes added to the winter games would cost too much to feed and house, but during the campaign for the 2022 winter games, skating officials were told by the IOC that Synchro would have a better chance at getting in if it excluded males, because all-female teams had greater sex appeal. (The ISU and the major teams are now trying again for 2026 with the concept of reduced-size teams of 12, but they are sticking to having teams open to athletes of any gender.)
Syncro certainly deserves to be an Olympic sport. It is incredibly demanding -- both athletically and artistically.

Oh, don't count on it. DD competes at a high level in Synchronized Figure Skating, which is one of the only truly gender-neutral team sports that exists; there is no requirement about gender in it at all. It is majority-female, but the teams will take anyone of any gender who can pass the audition process.

Synchro has been trying to get approved as an Olympic sport for about 15 years now, and the IOC keeps voting no. The IOC maintains that the primary reason is that many teams of 16 athletes added to the winter games would cost too much to feed and house, but during the campaign for the 2022 winter games, skating officials were told by the IOC that Synchro would have a better chance at getting in if it excluded males, because all-female teams had greater sex appeal. (The ISU and the major teams are now trying again for 2026 with the concept of reduced-size teams of 12, but they are sticking to having teams open to athletes of any gender.)

The Olympics does have a gender neutral sport. It also has Team USA's oldest athlete (Phillip Dutton, age 57). I give you...

EQUESTRIAN. Age and gender are completely meaningless (for both 2 and 4 legged athletes). And there is NOTHING sexy about our uniforms.

The Olympics does have a gender neutral sport. It also has Team USA's oldest athlete (Phillip Dutton, age 57). I give you...

EQUESTRIAN. Age and gender are completely meaningless (for both 2 and 4 legged athletes). And there is NOTHING sexy about our uniforms.

They have more than that. Badminton, sailing, tennis and table tennis both include mixed double events. Swimming and track and field as well as in archery, judo, shooting, and triathlon will also include mixed gender events.

They have more than that. Badminton, sailing, tennis and table tennis both include mixed double events. Swimming and track and field as well as in archery, judo, shooting, and triathlon will also include mixed gender events.

Very cool! But the entire sport of equestrian is gender neutral (including the horses)...not just a few events, so...we win LOL. ;)

On the uniform front, we did just find out that starting next year, athletes competing in sanctioned USDF competition (that's Dressage) can wear dark colored pants instead of white. So risque!

Very cool! But the entire sport of equestrian is gender neutral (including the horses)...not just a few events, so...we win LOL. ;)

On the uniform front, we did just find out that starting next year, athletes competing in sanctioned USDF competition (that's Dressage) can wear dark colored pants instead of white. So risque!

We have a dressage athlete from here competing for Canada.

You're right; I actually was considering two choices of phrase there and didn't edit it cleanly. It was a toss-up between "only gender-neutral discipline in figure skating" and "few gender-neutral sports that exist".

Final phrasing, I'm going to go with FEW gender-neutral sports that exist (in official competition, that is; we're not discussing casual pick-up games.)

And yeah, any uniform called a shadbelly is by definition not going to be sexy. (One of my DD's teammates has a sibling who competes in dressage. Her parents say it's almost a tossup which sport is more expensive, except that you don't actually have to feed skates.)

Last edited:
I think all sports should have different designs of uniforms available for both men and women as long as it does not interfere with the sports play itself. In soccer men and women can wear either long sleeve or short sleeve shirts. It’s up to the individual players to decide which they want to wear. In the beach volleyball case, clearly the women should be able to wear shorts that does not interfere with game play. Athletes should never have to feel objectified or uncomfortable. The IOC and FIFA unfortunately often compete for viewership and often FIFA wins. The World Cup usually gets around 1 billion people to watch, while the Olympics (both summer and winter) get significantly less viewership. I wish the Olympics were always held in Italy/Greece and a Scandinavian country to save money and to help those countries’ economies to thrive because they often don’t anyway. The World Cup should always held in Europe anyway since all the stadiums are built already at the highest quality.:-)

What is this “handball” nonsense? It’s beach volleyball. There is already another discipline called Team Handball.

another paralympian who is blind and deaf was told she couldn’t bring her mom with her. She is not going now. So sad how she is being treated.
A totally different thing than the dress-code violation, which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the athlete is disabled. As for the case you mentioned; access to the venues is strictly limited due to Covid.

Synchro would have a better chance at getting in if it excluded males, because all-female teams had greater sex appeal.
Well that's some BS right there (*Baloney sandwich) That isn't gonna fly with the current zeitgeist. To paraphrase Plato: They can pound sand (convenient at the beach)

Last edited:
That’s because she must have forgotten to put them on and ended up getting all the way to the track in just her underpants.
I found it ironic that she got in trouble for wearing briefs that are the same size as the briefs the Norweigian team got in trouble for not wearing. Personally, I don’t care what women wear as long as they are comfortable and their clothing doesn’t give an advantage. I support both the volleyball players and Breen in wearing what they want.

What is this “handball” nonsense? It’s beach volleyball. There is already another discipline called Team Handball.

Apparently, it’s handball played on sand. I know there’s also sand soccer as well.

BTW, this isn’t referring to an Olympic sport, the story is from the European championships of this sport

Apparently, it’s handball played on sand. I know there’s also sand soccer as well.

BTW, this isn’t referring to an Olympic sport, the story is from the European championships of this sport
There are a lot of sports played on sand besides volleyball, including beach soccer.

I don’t really understand team handball that much, but I do remember a short rules primer (during on Olympic) that players were allowed to take three steps before passing or taking a shot on goal or could dribble the ball. But I guess in the sand version it’s kind of hard to bounce the ball.

Virtually all Team Handball Olympic teams are from Europe too, so why the same name for different sports?

Beach handball? They’ve officially gone cuckoo.:crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter