Norwegian Beach Handball Team Fined for Wearing Shorts Instead of Bikini Bottoms

:mad: So absurd and obviously objectifying to women. I enjoy beach volleyball but hate watching the ladies constantly pulling their bikini bottoms out of their butts. I can't imagine any of the athletes are choosing them voluntarily; the shorts have to be better for aggressive play.

:mad: So absurd and obviously objectifying to women. I enjoy beach volleyball but hate watching the ladies constantly pulling their bikini bottoms out of their butts. I can't imagine any of the athletes are choosing them voluntarily; the shorts have to be better for aggressive play.

When asked in the past, those were the bottoms of choice for the women who play pro beach volleyball.

When asked in the past, those were the bottoms of choice for the women who play pro beach volleyball.
I don't know the Olympic rules, does every team in every sport have to wear the same outfits? I do know swimming has gone through many changes in suits over the years, and some Muslim women have competed in much more cover.

Amazing. It's not the IOC. Really specific rules from the International Handball Federation -

According to the International Handball Federation’s handbook, female athletes must wear bikini bottoms “with a close fit and cut on an upward angle toward the top of the leg.” “The side width,” the rules state, “must be of a maximum of 10 [centimeters],” or about 3.9 inches.

The same handbook instructs men handball players must wear longer shorts that are “not too baggy” and “10 [centimeters] above the kneecap.”

I'm thinking the IOC may soon realize they have some outdated ideas about things, kinda like the NCAA. Stuff is about to change.

Oh, don't count on it. DD competes at a high level in Synchronized Figure Skating, which is one of the few truly gender-neutral team sports that exists; there is no requirement about gender in it at all. It is majority-female, but the teams will take anyone of any gender who can pass the audition process.

Synchro has been trying to get approved as an Olympic sport for about 15 years now, and the IOC keeps voting no. The IOC maintains that the primary reason is that many teams of 16 athletes added to the winter games would cost too much to feed and house, but during the campaign for the 2022 winter games, skating officials were told by the IOC that Synchro would have a better chance at getting in if it excluded males, because all-female teams had greater sex appeal. (The ISU and the major teams are now trying again for 2026 with the concept of reduced-size teams of 12, but they are sticking to having teams open to athletes of any gender.)

ETA: Re-worded a phrase that wasn't accurate.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter