Northern Europe Magic 6/13/2015

Does this (quoted below) mean that there is definitively no pirate night on this cruise? Disappointing! Will the Frozen shindig have fireworks? That's one of the things I love about the pirate party!

I believe that Disney has mentioned that they can't do fireworks offshore in that area of the world.

If I remember correctly, there was no Pirate Night on our Alaska Cruise on the Wonder last summer either.

We just booked this cruise. #22 Disney cruise for me, #20 for my DH and #4 for my daughter. My husband and I are retired (live in Florida) and decided to finally book Europe. Never been to Europe. Then we told our daughter (second grade school teacher in Vegas) and she said "I'm coming too". So it's the three of us. We're flying in two nights early. Planning on finding a liquor store in Copenhagen so we can come on board fully stocked like we do when we sail out of Florida.

Welcome Teena!
If you find a decent one besides duty free, please let me know. I previously looked for a store over there which carries my bourbon of choice (Red Stag) and have had very little success. I am going to bring a small bottle in my luggage. If it works, cool. If not, I'll be looking for a store over there to buy a replacement.

We just booked this cruise. #22 Disney cruise for me, #20 for my DH and #4 for my daughter. My husband and I are retired (live in Florida) and decided to finally book Europe. Never been to Europe. Then we told our daughter (second grade school teacher in Vegas) and she said "I'm coming too". So it's the three of us. We're flying in two nights early. Planning on finding a liquor store in Copenhagen so we can come on board fully stocked like we do when we sail out of Florida.

I was just in Copenhagen a couple of weeks ago and one of my takeaways was that Copenhagen is a somewhat expensive city. There were some nice duty free stores in the Airport (not sure if you can buy stuff on arrival from the US...maybe but not sure) but even there, duty free prices for liquor were significantly higher than they were in Prague. You shouldn't have any issue with "finding" a civilian liquor store in Copenhagen, however while I didn't go into one, I suspect won't be happy with the prices there. I would pack a couple of bottles into your checked luggage from Florida, OR visit the duty free in the US to stock up and carry it onto the plane. With the new packaging at the Duty Free stores, there generally isn't an issue with either carrying it onto the plane, or carrying it through a subsequent security checkpoint AS LONG AS YOU HAVEN'T OPENED IT. The security people in Europe (if you go through another security line...which I had to do on arrival from Los Angeles for a plane change in Oslo) may reopen the bag to look at the bottle and check the receipt, but they will securely seal it again and give it back to you as long as the receipt is in there, and you haven't opened the secure bag. Its the only large volume of liquid you will be allowed to carry through any security line.

I was just in Copenhagen a couple of weeks ago and one of my takeaways was that Copenhagen is a somewhat expensive city. There were some nice duty free stores in the Airport (not sure if you can buy stuff on arrival from the US...maybe but not sure) but even there, duty free prices for liquor were significantly higher than they were in Prague. You shouldn't have any issue with "finding" a civilian liquor store in Copenhagen, however while I didn't go into one, I suspect won't be happy with the prices there. I would pack a couple of bottles into your checked luggage from Florida, OR visit the duty free in the US to stock up and carry it onto the plane. With the new packaging at the Duty Free stores, there generally isn't an issue with either carrying it onto the plane, or carrying it through a subsequent security checkpoint AS LONG AS YOU HAVEN'T OPENED IT. The security people in Europe (if you go through another security line...which I had to do on arrival from Los Angeles for a plane change in Oslo) may reopen the bag to look at the bottle and check the receipt, but they will securely seal it again and give it back to you as long as the receipt is in there, and you haven't opened the secure bag. Its the only large volume of liquid you will be allowed to carry through any security line.

I love your advice of purchasing at the US duty free but I have a change plane in London en route to Copenhagen....makes me very nervous!!

NAME TAGS
Hi all! This is last minute, but I am making name tags to put on your lanyard. If you would like one for you (and your cabin mates) please PM me with your first names and cabin number. I need this info by Monday, June 1st.
Thank you,
Judy

My family, Hubby, myself and 8 year old Daughter, are very interested in participating with an FE group this cruise. It is our 6th and we have yet to participate. I would be happy to help with the organizing if you need help.
Did you plan an FE group? We really want to participate but I find this board difficult to follow and can't seem to figure out if there is an FE group or not.

Did you plan an FE group? We really want to participate but I find this board difficult to follow and can't seem to figure out if there is an FE group or not.[/QUOTE

I'm starting a new FE group for the Disney Magic cruise, if you are interested in joining private message on Facebook me your stateroom, names, ages and favorite characters. Please don't reply here, I find this board difficult to use. (If you aren't on Facebook, you can email me at JillLKaale@aol.com).

I believe that Disney has mentioned that they can't do fireworks offshore in that area of the world.
Yes, we experienced that in Alaska, too. I was surprised they did them in the Med last year, but they did split the pirate night from the fireworks. They claimed it was because of noise restrictions, but the pirate shenanigans are pretty darn loud by themselves! My TA claims that the Frozen party is on the Stockholm day, but i still don't see anything about it on my DCL itinerary. My older daughter is very upset about the Frozen party and wants there to be a Pirate night, my younger daughter is ecstatic.
I'm just glad I read something about the cancellation of the Pirate Night before lugging all our gear along!

Last edited:
NAME TAGS
Hi all! This is last minute, but I am making name tags to put on your lanyard. If you would like one for you (and your cabin mates) please PM me with your first names and cabin number. I need this info by Monday, June 1st.
Thank you,
Judy

I don't think I'm allowed to PM (I can't find the option, anyway)--what should I do?

If you don't mind putting your first names and cabin number on this thread then doing it here will work

I don't have my cabin number handy (plus I'm hoping we'll upgrade), but our names are: Krista, James, Kira, Ian. Thanks so much!

No need to create groups/documents outside of this thread, everyone! Cruise Meet threads are doing just fine still managing meet and Fish Extender (FE) discussions right here on The DIS as they have since FE began (also here on The DIS).

FE organizers generally need to know how many people (adults/children) are participating in each cabin with child ages for age appropriate gift giving. Other information you would like to share such as names, allergies, favorite characters, etc. is up to you. Other personal information is not really necessary. Those organizing FEs typically ask for the information to be posted in the meet thread or sent to them via PM.

Unfortunately, posts have been removed from a number of Cruise Meets threads including this one.

PLEASE review the Cruise Meet Policy regarding Cruise Meet and Fish Extender programs. - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3353477

Links to Cruise Meet discussion/Fish Extenders other than those on the DIS may not be posted, offered or discussed by any other means (PM, email, "search" directions, here on the Cruise Line forum, etc.).

For those posting in this Cruise Meet thread to join a FE, if no one comes forward to organize a FE for this cruise, anyone can organize the FE right in this thread.

DISboards Fish-Extender Basics

Enjoy!

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter