North To Alaska--May 3, 2011 on the Disney Wonder

I couldn't find a listing by cabin so I have been moving list into an excel file to do it myself...hopefully will get it done before time to leave LOL would make it easier onboard..

Thanks - I'll guess I'll do the same. If you'd like I can email you mine when I'm done.

Being the Geeky accounting type of guy, I already have it in a spread sheet. Not sure how to attach it to an e-mail from the disboards, but if you pm me your e-mail I will send it to you from my yahoo account. I have 31 cabins in the B2B FE Exchange, 28 Repo only, and 17 Alaska only. I even have the number of bodies by cabin broken down:rolleyes: for those who want to do a one each FE gift.:confused3 4 more work days and several nights I am sure before I can enjoy. I will be the one just on board with either a full mug of beer or a fatty-fruity-boozy drink in hand before lunch!:drinking1:drinking:

I bought new costumes for us, just got them in the mail today, and I'm really disappointed. :sad1: Tyler's (I bought a size bigger than what he wears) is too small for him (plus the pants are SHORTS), and mine has a half shirt :eek:. Maybe if I had my 20 year old body, I could pull it off, but my 40 year old plus size shape is not something anybody wants to see in a half shirt! :rotfl2: The picture of each on the website is definitely not what we received. He's gonna be so sad. So I'm shipping them back and we'll just buy some piratey things at DL the day before. No biggie. Just a little disappointing.

Holly there is basically a hole pirate store in DL, so I'm sure you'll find something (hopefully that doesn't break the bank!).

In my many searches on this board I remember seeing lots of discussions on whether there would be a Pirate Night on the Alaskan cruise. I asked my mom and she made some calls and there is definitely a Pirate Night. Sooo....what do I pack for this?

See the pic in my sig. My wife is busy updating the kids' costumes because they grew up. Yes my wife made them all.

The White Pass and Yukon is a nice trip...very scenic. If you want another option that is a little more active and outside, do the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve excursion (if available). If available (I haven't looked at the offerings), the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve float trip is just spectacular. You would take a short ferry ride to Haines (which is a dear little town) and then join the float trip through the Preserve. It is a pretty slow raft trip with the guide doing all the paddling (you just sit in the raft and enjoy). It is an amazing trip and the eagles are spectacular.
I'm including a bit about the Preserve in this post.

We have been to Alaska 4 times and we always make time to spend some time in Haines.

Lynda

The Preserve

The Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve was created by the State of Alaska in June of 1982. The preserve was established to protect and perpetuate the world’s largest concentration of Bald Eagles and their critical habitat. It also sustains and protects the natural salmon runs and allows for traditional uses; provided such uses do not adversely affect preserve resources. The Preserve consists of 48,000 acres of river bottom land of the Chilkat, Kleheni, and Tsirku Rivers. The boundaries were designated to include only areas important to eagle habitation. Virtually every portion of the preserve is used by eagles at some time during the year.

The river "flats" of the Chilkat River along the Haines Highway between miles 18 and 24 are the main viewing area for eagle watchers and considered critical habitat in the preserve. Bald eagles are attracted to the area by the availability of spawned-out salmon and open waters in late fall and winter.

The natural phenomena responsible for five miles of open water on the Chilkat River during freezing months is called an "alluvial fan reservoir". The Tsirku fan, which is a fan-shaped accumulation of gravel, rock, sand, and glacial debris, at the confluence of the Tsirku, Kleheni, and Chilkat Rivers acts as a large water reservoir.

During the warmer spring, summer and early fall seasons, water from snow and melted glacial ice flows into the alluvial fan. The fan receives water faster than it can flow out, creating a huge reservoir of water. When winter arrives, cold weather sets in and surrounding waters freeze. However, water in this large reservoir remains from 10 to 20 degrees (F) above surrounding water temperatures. This warmer water "percolates" into the Chilkat River and keeps it from freezing.

Five species of salmon spawn in these and other nearby streams and tributaries. The salmon runs begin in the summer and continue on through late fall or early winter. The salmon die shortly after spawning and it is their carcasses which provide large quantities of food for the eagles. This combination of open water and large amounts of food bring large concentrations of eagles into the Chilkat Valley beginning by early October and lasting through February.

Thanks for the prayers guys! Tomorrow will be a nerve racking day. There are things I need to be doing for the trip, like packing & fish extender gifts, but I'm hesitant to start doing them. If my FIL has to have bypass we won't be going.

We did both of these the last time we were in Alaska, they are both spectacular!

The White Pass and Yukon is a nice trip...very scenic. If you want another option that is a little more active and outside, do the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve excursion (if available). If available (I haven't looked at the offerings), the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve float trip is just spectacular. You would take a short ferry ride to Haines (which is a dear little town) and then join the float trip through the Preserve. It is a pretty slow raft trip with the guide doing all the paddling (you just sit in the raft and enjoy). It is an amazing trip and the eagles are spectacular.
I'm including a bit about the Preserve in this post.

We have been to Alaska 4 times and we always make time to spend some time in Haines.

Lynda

The Preserve

The Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve was created by the State of Alaska in June of 1982. The preserve was established to protect and perpetuate the world’s largest concentration of Bald Eagles and their critical habitat. It also sustains and protects the natural salmon runs and allows for traditional uses; provided such uses do not adversely affect preserve resources. The Preserve consists of 48,000 acres of river bottom land of the Chilkat, Kleheni, and Tsirku Rivers. The boundaries were designated to include only areas important to eagle habitation. Virtually every portion of the preserve is used by eagles at some time during the year.

The river "flats" of the Chilkat River along the Haines Highway between miles 18 and 24 are the main viewing area for eagle watchers and considered critical habitat in the preserve. Bald eagles are attracted to the area by the availability of spawned-out salmon and open waters in late fall and winter.

The natural phenomena responsible for five miles of open water on the Chilkat River during freezing months is called an "alluvial fan reservoir". The Tsirku fan, which is a fan-shaped accumulation of gravel, rock, sand, and glacial debris, at the confluence of the Tsirku, Kleheni, and Chilkat Rivers acts as a large water reservoir.

During the warmer spring, summer and early fall seasons, water from snow and melted glacial ice flows into the alluvial fan. The fan receives water faster than it can flow out, creating a huge reservoir of water. When winter arrives, cold weather sets in and surrounding waters freeze. However, water in this large reservoir remains from 10 to 20 degrees (F) above surrounding water temperatures. This warmer water "percolates" into the Chilkat River and keeps it from freezing.

Five species of salmon spawn in these and other nearby streams and tributaries. The salmon runs begin in the summer and continue on through late fall or early winter. The salmon die shortly after spawning and it is their carcasses which provide large quantities of food for the eagles. This combination of open water and large amounts of food bring large concentrations of eagles into the Chilkat Valley beginning by early October and lasting through February.

Lynn, that's exactly what we're packing...2 large rolling duffles. I don't know how I'm going to do it either. I have all the clothes packed, but there's no room for the bathroom bag and the medicine bag, etc. I was trying to eliminate a carry on and I don't think I'm going to be able to.

I cannot eliminate carry on, that is where I carry all my electronics, iPad, Cameras, etc., as well as enough clothes to hold me over in case luggage is delayed! Not to mention "plane food" since they no longer feed you on plane trips!

Hey Guys, keep those prayers coming. Jason's dad is scheduled for a heart cath Friday afternoon. His doctor believes that there's a blockage leading to the heart and a leaky ventricular valve. I pray this is something they can take care of through the cath and that there's nothing more serious that pops up. I really appreciate it!!!!:hug:

Pixie Dust and prayers from here for your FIL as well as the rest of the family!

In my many searches on this board I remember seeing lots of discussions on whether there would be a Pirate Night on the Alaskan cruise. I asked my mom and she made some calls and there is definitely a Pirate Night. Sooo....what do I pack for this?

You will see full Pirate costumes, but you will see more Pirate T-shirts with some kind of headgear - we have silk scarves that we tie around our heads.

Booked an excursion today for Skagaway (White Pass train one). I think I can whip up enough energy to sit on a train for a few hours...:lmao:

THREE MORE DAYS OF WORK...unless I come in for a while this weekend!

We are doing the excursion with the train ride, then the bike ride back down the mountain!

Linda - congrats to Jamie on her work assignment!!

Every time we go on a DCL cruise, we see more elaborate costumes and wardrobe (it's a Disney thing). A few cruises ago, there was a guest who was a dead ringer for Johnny Depp. He took 90 minutes to put on makeup in his stateroom ... donned his costume (with his wench cohorts), and went so far as to make an entrance in each of the three restaurants on Pirate night ... at EACH dinner seating (plus, likely Palo's, and Topsiders). The motley crew was very well received.
Steven

Aw, yes....."Johnny" is on the repo and the 1st Alaska and I am positive he will be out in full force on pirate night.....and late for dinner to our table so he can make an entrance.

I joined you guys too late for the FE list so I am thinking about making my own and surprising my mom with it. So...for someone who doesn't know how to sew a button...please let me know the absolute easiest way to make one of these. I tried Googling it and some of the ones I found involved supplies I didn't know existed.

Another question...until DVC sends my reservation number and cabin info to my mom (who is sailing on a short cruise starting today) we can't book my excursions. Does anyone know how full they are getting? I really want Mendenhall Glacier and Whale watching, the Yukon Suspension Bridge, City, and White Pass Railway (Adult Only), and the Rain-forest Island Adventure. From what we have heard though, I might not have my final stuff until sometime next week.

Finally, is anyone else totally distracted by these boards as the trip gets closer? I am so excited. I am having so much trouble focusing on work! :yay:

As for Pirate night dress ... there are accessories (some inexpensive, some not so cheap) available on the ship ... made to make you resemble a Disney pirate. Many people have gone to costume shops (even at Halloween time) for supplies. Don't be shy ... there will be MANY guests who will dress in pirate garb so well, you may think they are cast members. There will also be just as many people wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts.

Every time we go on a DCL cruise, we see more elaborate costumes and wardrobe (it's a Disney thing). A few cruises ago, there was a guest who was a dead ringer for Johnny Depp. He took 90 minutes to put on makeup in his stateroom ... donned his costume (with his wench cohorts), and went so far as to make an entrance in each of the three restaurants on Pirate night ... at EACH dinner seating (plus, likely Palo's, and Topsiders). The motley crew was very well received.

Not to fret, for those of us who are Pirate.challenged ... at Pirate night dinner, DCL servers usually give you a bandana to wear to the party ... just to keep your spirits high, and make you feel like a wee bit of a pirate.
:thumbsup2

Steven

I classify my Pirate costume as Disney Fun. It is a collection of Disney Pirate stuff collected from previous cruises, ship stores, parks and a couple of ports. Definitely not in "Johnny's" class as mine only take 5-10 minutes to throw together. But it is fun and does draw a few looks since is looks like a "big kid's" costume. But hey, that is what we are on the cruise "big kids" just I can have "real" rum in my bottle. :woohoo:

Aw, yes....."Johnny" is on the repo and the 1st Alaska and I am positive he will be out in full force on pirate night.....and late for dinner to our table so he can make an entrance.

Cool, I love seeing him and his crew, seems like us they cruise all the special cruises as we saw him on the Dream MV. We even bought his group shot from Shutters on the Westbound TA last year (we could have had the group sign it). He is definitely better than the cruise version.

I got a laugh once, when on one cruise he while he was on his way somewhere, he stopped for a picture with another guest then continued on his way. The funny part (unbeknownst to him) the guest turned angry that the (cruise staff) didn't stay and take all the pictures they wanted to take. :) They didn't realize he was just another cruiser like them and not the "official cruise Johnny". I wonder how many other cruisers confuse the two and think the official one is the fake cruise? :rolleyes1

Is everyone set with the FE list?

Q - Did you post a list by cabin at some point?

I've linked everything to the list by DISname because that was easier to trace back to the roster. Now that we've closed all lists, do you have one by room? Some posters are asking for the list that way...

I think you PM'd everyone who requested one?

Thanks.

I joined you guys too late for the FE list so I am thinking about making my own and surprising my mom with it. So...for someone who doesn't know how to sew a button...please let me know the absolute easiest way to make one of these. I tried Googling it and some of the ones I found involved supplies I didn't know existed.

Another question...until DVC sends my reservation number and cabin info to my mom (who is sailing on a short cruise starting today) we can't book my excursions. Does anyone know how full they are getting? I really want Mendenhall Glacier and Whale watching, the Yukon Suspension Bridge, City, and White Pass Railway (Adult Only), and the Rain-forest Island Adventure. From what we have heard though, I might not have my final stuff until sometime next week.

Finally, is anyone else totally distracted by these boards as the trip gets closer? I am so excited. I am having so much trouble focusing on work! :yay:

I just retired recently and it's been a blast reading these boards and being able to keep up with reading them this time. I've even joined in the fish extension game on this after 9 previous Disney Cruises. I'm not packed, but I'm ready for Alaska. Eileen

I just retired recently and it's been a blast reading these boards and being able to keep up with reading them this time. I've even joined in the fish extension game on this after 9 previous Disney Cruises. I'm not packed, but I'm ready for Alaska. Eileen

Ooooo, I would LOVE to retire!!! :thumbsup2

Congrats!

Screen Name(s) Name(s) Cabin Number
OneKindMan Steve, Joey (Autistic adult) & Danny (Autistic adult) 1054
HollyTyler Holly, Tyler (8) & Susan 1058
Stephenson4 Tina, John, Maya (12) & Molly (9) 2010
Dopeylover54 Christie & Ken 2013
eeyore77 Jen & Chris 2040
figmentnnemo Les & Vikki 2041
sdlong329 Steve, Donna & Lisa 2052
bonzie1 Georgie & Joe 2070
Tigger1221 Matt & Jill 2108
bittenbythecruisebug Gerry, Anna, Kara (12) & Brynn (6) 2139
pilk/Photographer Goofy Jon & Candida 2141
eeyorefreak Shannon, Pete & Sam (7 turning 8 on 5/7) 2512
prossl Linda 2517
Mickey&JoshNut Elaine & Margaret 2552
ppartekim Mike & Holly 2568
TADsMommy Tiffany, Ashley (16) & David (15) 2602
TADsDaddy Dave & Karen 2604
MJGirl Mary Jane & Kirstyn 2620
BibbidyBobbidyBoo #1 Shelley & Jeff 5001
BibbidyBobbidyBoo #2 Ruby (17), Robert (13) & Rita (10) 5005
seaulater Linda & Jamie 5022
LisaG520 Lisa & Darrell 5126
HebeJebe Jennifer & Justice 5129
huggybear Eileen & John 5131
EpcotKilterFan Debbie & Jeanette 5136
Padalyn Cayla & Michael 5142
DisneyPinDiva Leslie & Joe 5522
DL1957 Sue & Paul 5622
DL1957 #2 Margaret & Mary 5624
Yensidfan #1 Faith & Pete 6062
Yensidfan #2 Courtney & Peter 6067
sasmmb Michelle & Brad 6514
first timers Carolyn & Alex 6574
kpros/spros Ken & Shari 6584
Scott H/Lynn G Scott & Lynn Re 6636
Couturegirl Diane, John, Sean (6) & Jack (4) 7002
COASTIEandMATE Karen & Ron 7020
MouseFaninQueue #2 Tom & Nada 7040
MouseFaninQueue #1 Ken, Shannon, Kaleigh(6) & Shaelyn (9) 7041
Gydell Gydell, Bill, Betsy & Brent (9) 7106
zakerdog Carol & Gary 7112
LocustPoint Mary & Tom 7572
Wrabitdad Bob & Dale 7598
threebritts Heather, Tom & Bethany 7604
tig82174 Erik & Jason 7622
Pixiegran* Judy & Catherine 7638
CaliGrrl Kristina, Drew(3), Kay (GM) & John (GP) 8074
Rotary2808 Emily, Jason, Steve & Brenda 8530
CaliGirl15 Jo, Elaine (GM) & Steve (GP) GTY
Satchimatchi* Christine , Nicholas (8) & Gabriella (turning 2!) GTY

Cool, I love seeing him and his crew, seems like us they cruise all the special cruises as we saw him on the Dream MV. We even bought his group shot from Shutters on the Westbound TA last year (we could have had the group sign it). He is definitely better than the cruise version.

I got a laugh once, when on one cruise he while he was on his way somewhere, he stopped for a picture with another guest then continued on his way. The funny part (unbeknownst to him) the guest turned angry that the (cruise staff) didn't stay and take all the pictures they wanted to take. :) They didn't realize he was just another cruiser like them and not the "official cruise Johnny". I wonder how many other cruisers confuse the two and think the official one is the fake cruise? :rolleyes1

You could bring the group shot and bring it to our table if you "really" want it autographed. We are all cruising together again. We love all the special cruises. Can't wait to cruise with everyone again.......it has been since January since we all cruised together on the MV of the Dream!

You could bring the group shot and bring it to our table if you "really" want it autographed. We are all cruising together again. We love all the special cruises. Can't wait to cruise with everyone again.......it has been since January since we all cruised together on the MV of the Dream!

Cool, that would be nice. Now, I just have to find it amongst all the other cruise pics we have that haven't made it to a wall yet; need more empty walls in the house especially, next to our aquarium for the Ducky & pirate pics.

OK....our flight leaves Rochester in just 9.5 hours...and we just finished packing...finally!! Now it's time to get to bed so we can rest up for the trip...

....but before I head to bed wanted to post and let everyone know that we're going to be trying to blog this trip like we did our last...anyone who wants to follow along can do it at:

www.adventureserikjason.blogspot.com

Surely they have a costume store in your town..we have 2 costume stores and both party stores carry costumes also...do a local google search for pirate costumes.

The costume stores only come out at Halloween time. We had costumes, but needed new ones. We'll just get stuff at DL or on the ship. We've bought plenty onboard before and it's not unreasonably priced. I've always wanted the Goofy ears pirate bandana, but didn't have a reason to buy it before, so this time I will. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter